=SDC= Q38: Catfish Blues

Jerry Friedman

Aug 21, 2011, 7:26:41 PM8/21/11
Reconstruct this haiku: farcical, Poseidon, uranium, wet.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

James Hogg

Aug 22, 2011, 2:47:51 AM8/22/11
Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Reconstruct this haiku: farcical, Poseidon, uranium, wet.

Poseidon's wave hit
Farcical Fukushima,
Wet uranium.

--
James

msh210

Aug 22, 2011, 4:14:35 PM8/22/11
On Aug 21, Jerry Friedman, TO Panelist, wrote:
> Reconstruct this haiku: farcical, Poseidon, uranium, wet.

"Reconstruct"? Nuts! "Correct"!

Michael Hamm
TO Hinter

Liz

Aug 23, 2011, 10:09:30 AM8/23/11

October seawater
a comical mochokidae
fissile

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 24, 2011, 3:26:15 PM8/24/11
In alt.usage.english, msh210 wrote:
>On Aug 21, Jerry Friedman, TO Panelist, wrote:
>> Reconstruct this haiku: farcical, Poseidon, uranium, wet.
>
>"Reconstruct"? Nuts! "Correct"!

A pacifist samurai would renounce iki. HTH.

--
VB
T. O. Unreconstructed

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 26, 2011, 3:44:56 PM8/26/11

A nice haiku and the 'Fukushima' is part of the T. O. answer.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

the Omrud

Aug 26, 2011, 5:30:51 PM8/26/11

Poseiden shook the Earth.
And wet Fukushima.
We're stuffed.

--
David

LFS

Aug 28, 2011, 2:48:39 AM8/28/11

Here's something that might be a fishy lament:

Fukushima incapacitated. Siltier hour, now.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

CDB

Aug 28, 2011, 10:05:52 AM8/28/11
Vinny Burgoo wrote:
> James Hogg wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>
>>> Reconstruct this haiku: farcical, Poseidon, uranium, wet.
>>
>> Poseidon's wave hit
>> Farcical Fukushima,
>> Wet uranium.
>
> A nice haiku and the 'Fukushima' is part of the T. O. answer.

Poseidon's catfish
Has wet our uranium --
Stuff it, Blue-rinse Boy!

CDB

Aug 28, 2011, 11:03:02 AM8/28/11
Alternative last line, in case all the words have to be used as given:
"Farcical, Blue Boy."

franzi

Aug 30, 2011, 6:50:55 PM8/30/11
CDB <belle...@sympatico.ca> wrote
On the basis of /on/ - that Poseidon has five of them in a Japanese sort
of way - and the other given words have eight English syllables, and
Fukushima four, that's your seventeen, and not much choice of change.

Swap uranium with Fukushima, avoid mentioning the god by name, and get:

Earth-shaker's verdict:
Farcical uranium,
Wet Fukushima.
--
franzi

LFS

Aug 31, 2011, 5:41:01 AM8/31/11

All hints have pointed to an anagram. I think the haiku is a distractor.

James Hogg

Aug 31, 2011, 7:10:06 AM8/31/11

Right, the 35 letters of "this haiku farcical Poseidon uranium wet" have
been reconstructed for us as "A pacifist samurai would renounce iki.
HTH." It's hard to get a blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) out of that,
but Ictaluridae would work.

--
James

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 31, 2011, 10:22:29 AM8/31/11
In alt.usage.english, James Hogg wrote:

Namazu.

--
VB

James Hogg

Aug 31, 2011, 10:37:15 AM8/31/11

CDB

Aug 31, 2011, 10:55:56 AM8/31/11
Ahh. "Fuk u, 'Shima".

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 31, 2011, 11:58:35 AM8/31/11
In alt.usage.english, CDB wrote:
>Vinny Burgoo wrote:

>> Namazu.
>>>
>Ahh. "Fuk u, 'Shima".

And the fish you rode in on.

--
VB

James Hogg

Aug 31, 2011, 12:17:50 PM8/31/11

The penny finally dropped: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.

I seem to have missed the Daiichi part of the name in all the news reports.

--
James

msh210

Aug 31, 2011, 5:01:37 PM8/31/11
On Aug 31, James Hogg abed:

> The penny finally dropped: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.

Thank you! But, as you know, it don't count.

Michael Hamm
TO Something-or-other

James Hogg

Aug 31, 2011, 5:29:24 PM8/31/11
msh210 wrote:
> On Aug 31, James Hogg abed:
>> The penny finally dropped: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.
>
> Thank you! But, as you know, it don't count.

No sheep expected. I just had to work it out after Laura once again set
me on the right track.

I wish I'd asked for another clue to question no. 36. That's another one
that's been annoying me.

--
James