One-syllable "mirror" redux

Quinn C

Apr 26, 2022, 12:59:45 PM4/26/22
Here's a bit a pair of podcasters did. I'm almost sure they did it
intentionally, but they must have thought it was at least believable,
and it might be something that happened naturally during preparation.
Not a comedy podcast.

- ... the whore she has become.
- The what!?
- The horror she has become. It's a difficult word.

--
9/11 was pretty much the 9/11 of the falafel business.
-- Abed Nadir on Community

Ken Blake

Apr 26, 2022, 3:20:25 PM4/26/22
On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:59:31 -0400, Quinn C
<lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>Here's a bit a pair of podcasters did. I'm almost sure they did it
>intentionally, but they must have thought it was at least believable,
>and it might be something that happened naturally during preparation.
>Not a comedy podcast.
>
> - ... the whore she has become.
> - The what!?
> - The horror she has become. It's a difficult word.

I've heard "horror" pronounced like that, but to me its first syllable
doesn't even rhyme with "whore."

I pronounce it as HAR-er.

Sam Plusnet

Apr 26, 2022, 7:09:06 PM4/26/22
Does this work for you?

"I say, isn't that Hortence?"

"No, she looks perfectly relaxed to me."

--
Sam Plusnet

Peter Moylan

Apr 26, 2022, 10:16:07 PM4/26/22
It works for me, but I have to say that I have never in my life met
anyone called Hortence.

My whore and my horror have completely different vowels, but I have met
Americans for whom those two words are homophobes.

Quinn C

Apr 27, 2022, 10:24:38 AM4/27/22
* Peter Moylan:

> My whore and my horror have completely different vowels, but I have met
> Americans for whom those two words are homophobes.

And I've met Australians who may have thought "homophobes" and
"homophones" are homographs.

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them

Ken Blake

Apr 27, 2022, 12:13:48 PM4/27/22
On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:15:59 +1000, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 27/04/22 09:09, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 26-Apr-22 20:20, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> I've heard "horror" pronounced like that, but to me its first syllable
>>> doesn't even rhyme with "whore."
>>>
>>> I pronounce it as HAR-er.
>>
>> Does this work for you?
>>
>> "I say, isn't that Hortence?"
>>
>> "No, she looks perfectly relaxed to me."
>
>It works for me, but I have to say that I have never in my life met
>anyone called Hortence.
>
>My whore and my horror have completely different vowels,

What's your whore's name? Is she beautiful?

Quinn C

Apr 27, 2022, 1:15:03 PM4/27/22
* Ken Blake:
And can I borrow her vowel? I get bored of mine.

--
"I didn't mind getting old when I was young, either," I said.
"It's the being old now that's getting to me."

Kerr-Mudd, John

Apr 27, 2022, 2:01:39 PM4/27/22
is this to do with the US expression about f*** you and the whore you rode in on?

> > but I have met
> >Americans for whom those two words are homophobes.
(like)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

lar3ryca

Apr 27, 2022, 4:00:48 PM4/27/22
Sure thing, Quonn.

Richard Heathfield

Apr 27, 2022, 4:12:14 PM4/27/22
Quorn, surely?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

lar3ryca

Apr 27, 2022, 4:27:08 PM4/27/22
Definitely not in my dialect, or, I might guess, in Quonn's.

Rhotic I am.

Richard Heathfield

Apr 27, 2022, 4:43:26 PM4/27/22
After N years of subscribing to this group, my curiosity has finally
overcome my guilt, and I have looked up "rhotic". As far as I can tell I
do not have a rhot currently plugged in.

lar3ryca

Apr 27, 2022, 4:57:11 PM4/27/22
I was going to add a signature, but could not find it. So here it is:

--
Chris: "Hey can I borrow a ten?"
Kristen: "Sure."

Snidely

Apr 27, 2022, 6:52:34 PM4/27/22
Wednesday, lar3ryca murmurred ...
To me, rhotic makes Quorn and whore closer than Quonn and whore.

/dps "it's a bore, isn't it?"

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"

Peter Moylan

Apr 27, 2022, 9:22:39 PM4/27/22
Certainly more beautiful than my horror.

>> but I have met
>> Americans for whom those two words are homophobes.

lar3ryca

May 18, 2022, 5:02:01 PM5/18/22
On 2022-04-27 14:57, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-04-27 14:00, lar3ryca wrote:
> I was going to add a signature, but could  not find it. So here it is:

Testing an idea for generating a random signature.

Jerry Friedman

May 18, 2022, 7:09:02 PM5/18/22
That's 'cause you're from New York. (The region where people say
HAR-er, FLAR-ida, etc., is actually bigger than that.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

May 18, 2022, 7:11:41 PM5/18/22
The words where Ken pronounces "or" with the "father" vowel probably
line up pretty well with those where you pronounce it with the LOT
vowel.

--
Jerry Friedman