Auftrumpfen

Richard Heathfield

Jun 23, 2022, 3:18:49 AM6/23/22
Wordle 369 2/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Had I done this when at school, the canonical gesture would have
been to huff on an imaginary cricket ball and then wipe a little
extra imaginary shine onto the non-existent ball by rubbing it a
few times against my shirt just over the heart, in the manner of
a bowler who has just taken a wicket c&b and is walking back to
his mark as if wishing to proceed modestly and quietly with the
game, suggesting that such feats are an everyday occurrence and
thus not worth fussing over.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jun 23, 2022, 3:43:40 AM6/23/22
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 08:18:42 +0100
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

> Wordle 369 2/6
>
> ⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
>
> Had I done this when at school, the canonical gesture would have
> been to huff on an imaginary cricket ball and then wipe a little
> extra imaginary shine onto the non-existent ball by rubbing it a
> few times against my shirt just over the heart, in the manner of
> a bowler who has just taken a wicket c&b and is walking back to
> his mark as if wishing to proceed modestly and quietly with the
> game, suggesting that such feats are an everyday occurrence and
> thus not worth fussing over.

But nowadays one can boast about it on usenet (in a nonchalant kind of way, of course).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Lewis

Jun 23, 2022, 4:08:26 AM6/23/22
In message <20220623084336.2409...@127.0.0.1> Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 08:18:42 +0100
> Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>> Wordle 369 2/6
>>
>> ⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
>> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
>>
>> Had I done this when at school, the canonical gesture would have
>> been to huff on an imaginary cricket ball and then wipe a little
>> extra imaginary shine onto the non-existent ball by rubbing it a
>> few times against my shirt just over the heart, in the manner of
>> a bowler who has just taken a wicket c&b and is walking back to
>> his mark as if wishing to proceed modestly and quietly with the
>> game, suggesting that such feats are an everyday occurrence and
>> thus not worth fussing over.

The term is "buffing your nails [on your lapel].

> But nowadays one can boast about it on usenet (in a nonchalant kind of way, of course).

I took 6 tries with today's, though I usually get it in 3-4. Anything
under 3 is just luck.

--
“You are failing us, but the young people are starting to understand your
betrayal.” Greta Thunberg

Richard Heathfield

Jun 23, 2022, 4:51:28 AM6/23/22
Or indeed chalantly™

Jawohl! Auftrumpfen!

occam

Jun 24, 2022, 2:00:08 AM6/24/22
On 23/06/2022 09:18, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Wordle 369 2/6
>
> ⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
> 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
>
> Had I done this when at school, the canonical gesture would have been to
> huff on an imaginary cricket ball and then wipe a little extra imaginary
> shine onto the non-existent ball by rubbing it a few times against my
> shirt just over the heart, in the manner of a bowler who has just taken
> a wicket c&b and is walking back to his mark as if wishing to proceed
> modestly and quietly with the game, suggesting that such feats are an
> everyday occurrence and thus not worth fussing over.

My German being what it is, I did not know <auftrumpen> was a real word.
Well done to the Germans for putting the 'trump' into showing off.

As for 'BRINK', it took me 3 attempts. It is all about the first guess.
I consider myself lucky to have got there in three guesses.

Richard Heathfield

Jun 24, 2022, 2:58:24 AM6/24/22
My guess, as always, was "wrack".

This left me with 7 to choose from:

brink,25
brisk,23
brook,19
drink,24
drunk,22
frisk,21
trunk,21

b splits the group into 3/4
d into 2/5
f and t into 1/6
R fixed
i into 4/3
o into 1/6
u into 2/5
n into 4/3
s into 2/5
o into 1/6
K fixed.

so `brink' was the obvious second guess.

occam

Jun 24, 2022, 4:03:32 AM6/24/22
On 24/06/2022 08:58, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> brink,25
> brisk,23
> brook,19
> drink,24
> drunk,22
> frisk,21
> trunk,21

What is the number associated with each word?

Richard Heathfield

Jun 24, 2022, 4:58:46 AM6/24/22
There exists a list of 2309 possible solutions, which can be
trimmed by grep (e.g. we know that there is an 'r' in pos 2, so
we can pipe the list through grep "^.r").

Each untrimmed candidate word in the list is now compared to
every other untrimmed word in the list, scoring +1 for every
matching letter (same letter in same position).

The higher the score, the more likely the word is to be the
correct answer.

Silvano

Jun 24, 2022, 5:33:29 AM6/24/22
occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:

> My German being what it is, I did not know <auftrumpen> was a real word.

Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_ Please note
the f. And it is much older than the US former president.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jun 24, 2022, 5:33:47 AM6/24/22
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 09:58:39 +0100
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

> On 24/06/2022 9:03 am, occam wrote:
> > On 24/06/2022 08:58, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> >> brink,25
> >> brisk,23
> >> brook,19
> >> drink,24
> >> drunk,22
> >> frisk,21
> >> trunk,21
> >
> > What is the number associated with each word?
>
> There exists a list of 2309 possible solutions, which can be
> trimmed by grep (e.g. we know that there is an 'r' in pos 2, so
> we can pipe the list through grep "^.r").
>
> Each untrimmed candidate word in the list is now compared to
> every other untrimmed word in the list, scoring +1 for every
> matching letter (same letter in same position).
>
> The higher the score, the more likely the word is to be the
> correct answer.

Very logical.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jun 24, 2022, 6:29:08 AM6/24/22
Yes, but if I remember correctly the loser's original name had an f in
it: Drumpf

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

J. J. Lodder

Jun 24, 2022, 6:51:07 AM6/24/22
Yes, E. trump, NL. troef, D. trumpf, from Lat. triumphus, Gr. thriambos,
perhaps by way of Fr. triomphe.

Julius Ceasar was already a triumphator,

Jan

lar3ryca

Jun 24, 2022, 9:41:33 AM6/24/22
Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a swamp.

--
I'm a hydrophobic. I have a fear of utility bills.

Richard Heathfield

Jun 24, 2022, 10:04:29 AM6/24/22
On 24/06/2022 2:41 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-06-24 03:33, Silvano wrote:
>> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:
>>
>>> My German being what it is, I did not know <auftrumpen> was a
>>> real word.
>>
>> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_
>> Please note
>> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
>
> Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a
> swamp.

Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.

(And yes, would that the UK could do so!)

Ken Blake

Jun 24, 2022, 10:06:18 AM6/24/22
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 12:29:02 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>On 2022-06-24 09:33:23 +0000, Silvano said:
>
>> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:
>>
>>> My German being what it is, I did not know <auftrumpen> was a real word.
>>
>> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_ Please note
>> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
>
>Yes, but if I remember correctly the loser's original name had an f in
>it: Drumpf

Are you sure it wasn't Fuckwit?

Ken Blake

Jun 24, 2022, 10:42:13 AM6/24/22
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 15:04:23 +0100, Richard Heathfield
<r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>On 24/06/2022 2:41 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2022-06-24 03:33, Silvano wrote:
>>> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:

>>> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_
>>> Please note
>>> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
>>
>> Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a
>> swamp.
>
>Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.

Get behind Trump and he'd shit all over you.

Richard Heathfield

Jun 24, 2022, 12:02:54 PM6/24/22
Then someone *else*. <sigh>

lar3ryca

Jun 24, 2022, 12:22:01 PM6/24/22
On 2022-06-24 08:04, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 24/06/2022 2:41 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2022-06-24 03:33, Silvano wrote:
>>> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:

>>> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_ Please note
>>> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
>>
>> Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a swamp.
>
> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.
>
> (And yes, would that the UK could do so!)

And Canada!

--
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

bruce bowser

Jun 24, 2022, 4:23:26 PM6/24/22
On Friday, June 24, 2022 at 10:04:29 AM UTC-4, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 24/06/2022 2:41 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
> > On 2022-06-24 03:33, Silvano wrote:
> >> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:

> >> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_
> >> Please note
> >> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
> >
> > Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a
> > swamp.
>
> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.

That would be too easy.

Sam Plusnet

Jun 24, 2022, 6:09:53 PM6/24/22
On 24/06/2022 15:04, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 24/06/2022 2:41 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2022-06-24 03:33, Silvano wrote:
>>> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:

>>> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_ Please note
>>> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
>>
>> Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a swamp.
>
> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.
>
> (And yes, would that the UK could do so!)

Trumpe-l'œil - Someone who has the (US) right wing completely fooled.

Hornswoggled, even.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jun 25, 2022, 4:29:06 AM6/25/22
I don't think Deputy Dawg is broadcastable (word?) these days, what with his fake profanities, especially the non-PC "cotton-picking varmint".

Richard Heathfield

Jun 25, 2022, 4:50:39 AM6/25/22
When did our society decide to hand such power back to the Puritans?

CDB

Jun 25, 2022, 6:48:50 AM6/25/22
On 6/24/2022 12:21 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> lar3ryca wrote:

>>> Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a
>>> swamp.

>> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.

>> (And yes, would that the UK could do so!)

> And Canada!

You can always move south.

Our politicians are nicer than republican politicians.

https://www.tvo.org/video/whats-the-state-of-democracy-in-ontario

But seriously, folks, I recommend this hour to anyone who thinks
politicians are scum. They're thoughtful and likeable when they aren't
being forced to manipulate you. One of the best Agendas in a while.

Anders D. Nygaard

Jun 25, 2022, 7:12:21 AM6/25/22
Den 24-06-2022 kl. 16:04 skrev Richard Heathfield:
> On 24/06/2022 2:41 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2022-06-24 03:33, Silvano wrote:
>>> occam hat am 24.06.2022 um 08:00 geschrieben:

>>> Actually, it isn't. The real German word is _auftrumpFen_ Please note
>>> the f. And it is much older than the US former president.
>>
>> Of course it has an F. Trump is pond scum, commonly found in a swamp.
>
> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.
>
> (And yes, would that the UK could do so!)

Interesting. I didn't have you pegged as a republican (small 'r')

/Anders, Denmark

Richard Heathfield

Jun 25, 2022, 7:18:00 AM6/25/22
Very small. Alas, we're rapidly running out of Queen, and no, we
can't all get behind Charlie. William, possibly; but not Charlie.

bruce bowser

Jun 25, 2022, 12:33:28 PM6/25/22
Foretrækker << republikanere >> i Danmark mest demokrati ?
I Amerika foretrækker republikanerne kun lidt demokrati.
Fordi demokrati i Amerika betyder lighed med andre kulturer.

lar3ryca

Jun 25, 2022, 5:04:48 PM6/25/22
Boggles my mind.

I have heard the term cotton-pickin' since I was a lad, and not once
have I associated it with anything that the PC crowd would object to. If
I had to guess what the term refers to, I would say that it's because
slaves were used to pick cotton, and by a stretch, became (at least to
some) a racist slur.

Being raised in Canada, it's not something we would think of.

Because you mentioned Deputy Dawg, I had a look on YouTube. I don't
recall ever seeing it before. I landed on an episode featuring "Big
Chief No Treaty', which is probably considered racist by American Indians.
What surprised me further though, was one of the commentsm (by GoblinXX)
who did not mention cotton-pickin', but had this to say:

"Big Chief No treaty" and starts out in a watermelon patch. Is there
any sway we can aver to Chinese laundries, maybe mention Jewish bankers,
we can insult EVERYBODY! ;)

Are we no longer supposed to say the word 'watermelon' or mention
Chinese laundries, or Jewish bankers without attracting the wrath of
someone looking for a reason to be outraged?

--
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

lar3ryca

Jun 25, 2022, 5:10:51 PM6/25/22
On 2022-06-25 04:48, CDB wrote:
> On 6/24/2022 12:21 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
>> Richard Heathfield wrote:

>>> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a thought.
>
>>> (And yes, would that the UK could do so!)
>
>> And Canada!
>
> You can always move south.
> Our politicians are nicer than republican politicians.

No thanks.
Some are, some aren't.

> https://www.tvo.org/video/whats-the-state-of-democracy-in-ontario
>
> But seriously, folks, I recommend this hour to anyone who thinks
> politicians are scum.  They're thoughtful and likeable when they aren't
> being forced to manipulate you. One of the best Agendas in a while.

Do you consider that SOB in the PM's to be one who is thoughtful and
likeable?

--
Why experiment on animals with so many politicians out there?

Richard Heathfield

Jun 25, 2022, 5:34:15 PM6/25/22
On 25/06/2022 10:04 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
> Are we no longer supposed to say the word 'watermelon'

Ummmmmmmm! I'm tellin' Miss.

Miss! Miss!

Peter Moylan

Jun 25, 2022, 8:11:19 PM6/25/22
On 25/06/22 21:17, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 25/06/2022 12:12 pm, Anders D. Nygaard wrote:

>>> Why not elect a President you can all get behind? Just a
>>> thought.
>>>
>>> (And yes, would that the UK could do so!)
>>
>> Interesting. I didn't have you pegged as a republican (small 'r')
>
> Very small. Alas, we're rapidly running out of Queen, and no, we
> can't all get behind Charlie. William, possibly; but not Charlie.

Republican sentiment in this country has fluctuated over time. On the
one hand, we're not entirely happy about having a foreigner as head of
state. On the other, there's a moderately strong sentiment of "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it". Our present system has worked well for us.
(Apart from the Whitlam sacking, but that's widely believed to have been
caused by American interference.) There's also the fact that the Queen
is seen as a likeable person. That might change when her son takes over.

The biggest influence, though, has been recent events in the USA. One
thing we're all united on is that we wouldn't want a system that could
put a person like Donald Duck^wTrunp in charge.

bruce bowser

Jun 26, 2022, 6:13:53 AM6/26/22
Do you think that's crazy?, Imagine if Hitler's Wehrmacht was mostly built by the United States.

CDB

Jun 26, 2022, 6:19:57 AM6/26/22
On 6/25/2022 5:10 PM, lar3ryca wrote:
I think it is unhelpful to hate politicians personally, although I have
done it myself a time or two. I think Justin Trudeau is doing harm to
our body politic even as he attempts to do good to it, and so I think he
should be replaced. I think that Pierre Poilievre would do far more
harm to us, and so he should be rejected.

I would wish them both well in their subsequent careers, as high school
drama coach and AM radio talk-show host repectively.

lar3ryca

Jun 26, 2022, 1:26:19 PM6/26/22
I do hate him. I do not think he is in office to do good. As far as I
can see, he is a narcissist whose only concern is to garner enough
points to get elected again.

I agree with your comment about Poilievre. I joined the Conservative
party this year, for two reasons:

1. To campaign for a change in leadership, as O'Toole turned out to be
Trudeau Lite.

2. To cast a vote for a leader that isn't batshit crazy. Not sure yet
who I'll vote for, but it won't be Poilievre.

> I would wish them both well in their subsequent careers, as high school
> drama coach and AM radio talk-show host repectively.

High school Drama Coach puts him in charge of people; something he
should never be.

--
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

Anders D. Nygaard

Jun 26, 2022, 5:01:43 PM6/26/22
I'm not going to bother with answering that, but I will point out
that you have the quote marks going the wrong way for Danish;
if you want to use that sort of quotes, you should not write them
the French way like you did, but as »republikanere« instead.

/Anders, Denmark

bruce bowser

Jun 27, 2022, 10:41:53 AM6/27/22
" " i Denmark, men kontinentale citater som <<>> genkendes bedre. Fejlen i retning forventes fra amerikanerne.

Anders D. Nygaard

Jun 27, 2022, 7:30:24 PM6/27/22
Is most common, yes.

> men kontinentale citater som <<>> genkendes bedre.

No, they are not recognized, except as an error.

> Fejlen i retning forventes fra amerikanerne.

So you are American?

/Anders, Denmark

bruce bowser

Jun 27, 2022, 11:58:22 PM6/27/22