Angie, I says. Why not Angie I say.

Rex Knepp

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Hiromitsu Hirabayashi wrote:

> I bought a book with the title "Angie , I says ".
> Why not " Angie , I say ".
>
> I am not sure this is the right place to post a question like this.
> If I am wrong , please forgive me.

'Tis a perfectly fine place to post it, Hiro (may I call you Hiro?).

"'Angie,' I says" is a colloquial speech form that means "'Angie,'
I said" as opposed to "'Angie,' I say." As both a colloquialism and
as a [presumably] verbatim transcript of a conversation, it's
exempt from normal grammatical rules,as in the following:

"I'se a-comin' 'cross the river on the nine bridge when I meets
ol' Parson's young'un Angie. 'Angie,' I says ta her, 'You'se a-
lookin' right purty this-yere evenin.'"

That translates into: "I was coming across the number nine bridge
when I met Mr. Parson's daughter Angie. 'Angie,' I said, 'You're
looking lovely this evening.'"

Make sense?

-30-

rex

--
"Sam and Janet Evening: you may see a stranger." Gypsy fortune teller.

Hiromitsu Hirabayashi

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
I bought a book with the title "Angie , I says ".
Why not " Angie , I say ".

I am not sure this is the right place to post a question like this.
If I am wrong , please forgive me.

Hiromitsu Hirabayashi
E-mail : bay...@rnac.or.jp

Ross Howard

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 01:30:19 +0900, "Hiromitsu Hirabayashi"
<bay...@rnac.or.jp> wrote:

>I bought a book with the title "Angie , I says ".
>Why not " Angie , I say ".

"I says" is very colloquial English, and is used -- often jokingly --
by millions of native speakers, even though it is thought by most
educated people to be sub-standard.

Now then, now that we've got you here, perhaps you might help us out
by answering this question that has been causing a lot of heated
debate in another thread.

If you were visiting Britain and heard some Brits (British people)
using the word "Jap" as an abbreviation of "Japanese", but you didn't
hear them say anything else that could possibly be considered to be
negative about Japanese culture or offensive to Japanese people,
would you be upset or annoyed? If so, why? And would you tell them
that you didn't like it and ask them to stop saying it?

[Anti-cross-threading rules can be waived here, I think]

Ross H.

Fernando Melendez

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98

Hiromitsu Hirabayashi wrote:

>> I bought a book with the title "Angie , I says ".
>> Why not " Angie , I say ".
>>
>> I am not sure this is the right place to post a question like this.
>> If I am wrong , please forgive me.

Mr. Hirabayashi:

You inquiry has been satisfactorily answered already, but I have some
questions that have to do with the book you bought.

1. What is the general category of "Angie, I says"? Detective?
Adventure? General fiction? History? Photography? Theater?
Erotica? Essays? Children's books? Or is it unclassifiable?

2. What is on the cover of "Angie, I says"? How thick is it? Is it
illustrated?

3. Is it all you expected it to be? Is the title appropriate to the
content? Are you pleased with your book?

4. Could you cite the author and the publisher?

I thank you,

Fernando

Hiromitsu Hirabayashi

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98

Fernando Melendez wrote in message
<36573d8a...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>...

>Mr. Hirabayashi:
>You inquiry has been satisfactorily answered already

YES it has.
Many thanks all !
I never understood the sentense( I says. ) GRAMMATICALLY.

>1. What is the general category of "Angie, I says"?

General fiction ?

>2. What is on the cover of "Angie, I says"? How thick is it? Is it
>illustrated?

Paperback, Picture of Greena Davis starring in the film"Angie"

>3. Is it all you expected it to be? Is the title appropriate to the
>content? Are you pleased with your book?

The sentence "I says" of the title caught me only grammatically.
I never seen such a sentence before except wrtitten wrong
grammatically in my old old schooldays.

>4. Could you cite the author and the publisher?

Avara Wing : Penguin Book Ltd.

Thank you very much.

Hiromitsu Hirabayashi
E-mail : bay...@rnac.or.jp

Fernando Melendez

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98

Mr. Hirabayashi:

Thank you very much for your reply. I can't tell you how relieved I
was upon reading your answer. The book's category would be "Motion
Pictures," or something like that, and surely that title does not
signal a new trend in serious fiction.

Fernando

bruce bowser

Mar 19, 2023, 11:38:51 AM3/19/23
On Tuesday, November 24, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Hiromitsu Hirabayashi wrote:
> Fernando Melendez wrote in message
> <36573d8a...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>...
> >Mr. Hirabayashi:
> >You inquiry has been satisfactorily answered already
> YES it has.
> Many thanks all !
> I never understood the sentense( I says. ) GRAMMATICALLY.
> >1. What is the general category of "Angie, I says"?
> General fiction ?
> >2. What is on the cover of "Angie, I says"? How thick is it? Is it
> >illustrated?
> Paperback, Picture of Greena Davis starring in the film"Angie"
> >3. Is it all you expected it to be? Is the title appropriate to the
> >content? Are you pleased with your book?
>
> The sentence "I says" of the title caught me only grammatically.
> I never seen such a sentence before except wrtitten wrong
> grammatically in my old old schooldays.

I know its awhile ago, bu it's grammatically incorrect on purpose in order to emphasize a sort of smart alek response to an annoying question like "Who says"? Sometimes, an English speaker sensing a smart alek response might even ask: "who say"? To which: "I say" might be the expected response.