I don't understand why the caption to the cartoon is supposed to be funny

Paul Epstein

Nov 27, 2021, 7:04:51 AM11/27/21
In a cartoon from a recent New Yorker, one approx 7 year old girl, at her school,
says to her classmate: “I don’t know about a playdate. Why don’t we just
meet up for some juice boxes and see how it goes?”
Why is this funny?
The cartoon is available here: https://www.newyorker.com/cartoon/a25542

Thank you,
Paul Epstein

soup

Nov 27, 2021, 7:10:23 AM11/27/21
It looks like one little girl is asking the other out.
She puts it in kid terms rather than an adults.

Adult version would be (something like)
"I don't know about a proper date, lets just get a drink snd play it by
ear".

I feel the joke is two kids acting like adults.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 27, 2021, 10:19:36 AM11/27/21
Or one kid is. But I agree, and I suspect that what the cartoonist has in mind is
"meet up for coffee".

--
Jerry Friedman

Quinn C

Nov 28, 2021, 7:03:35 PM11/28/21
* Jerry Friedman:
Yes, drinks would be too risky when you're that hesitant.

In my view, the joke is mostly about the word "playdate", which I found
a bit ridiculous when I first heard it.

--
Some things are taken away from you, some you leave behind-and
some you carry with you, world without end.

Tony Cooper

Nov 28, 2021, 7:16:08 PM11/28/21
On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:03:42 -0500, Quinn C
<lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>In my view, the joke is mostly about the word "playdate", which I found
>a bit ridiculous when I first heard it.

Increasingly common in use by parents of young 'uns. There was a time
when the young 'uns simply walked out the door and over to some other
young 'un's house to play. Now, that has to be arranged in advance
and Mom drives the young 'un to the other's house.

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida