suss=pacifier

retrosorter

Feb 23, 2012, 9:09:37 AM2/23/12
I've heard several English-speaking people in Canada, and particularly
in Quebec, use the term "suss" for "pacifier." I assume this derives
from the French word for "suck" ("sucer"). Does anyone know if the
term "suss" is used anywhere else in the world to refer to a pacifier?

the Omrud

Feb 23, 2012, 9:32:39 AM2/23/12
Not only does BrE not use the word "suss", it also doesn't use the word
"pacifier", at least not in this context. It sounds like some sort of
heavy object for walloping unruly children.

The BrE word is "dummy".

--
David

Nick Spalding

Feb 23, 2012, 9:39:58 AM2/23/12
retrosorter wrote, in
<bf745ecb-ff81-457f...@w5g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>
on Thu, 23 Feb 2012 06:09:37 -0800 (PST):
I don't know of one. Here in Ireland the word is 'dodie'; is that
used anywhere else?
--
Nick Spalding
BrE/IrE

Cheryl

Feb 23, 2012, 9:45:57 AM2/23/12
I never heard either of them. I think nowadays people say 'nuk' or
'nuknuk' after the brand name, but when I was a child, they were called
'dumb-tits' by some people.

--
Cheryl

Leslie Danks

Feb 23, 2012, 9:49:02 AM2/23/12
Stupid nipple!

--
Les
(BrE)

James Hogg

Feb 23, 2012, 11:10:11 AM2/23/12
Dummy tits in Ulster.

--
James

Don Phillipson

Feb 23, 2012, 3:18:39 PM2/23/12
"retrosorter" <hric...@gmail.com> wrote in message
The noun suçette (British lollipop, US sucker) are widely used. Suçon
is also normal in French Canada.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Adam Funk

Feb 23, 2012, 4:16:15 PM2/23/12
On 2012-02-23, Cheryl wrote:

> I never heard either of them. I think nowadays people say 'nuk' or
> 'nuknuk' after the brand name, but when I was a child, they were called
> 'dumb-tits' by some people.

That's for the birds.

--
Civilization is a race between catastrophe and education.
[H G Wells]

Robert Bannister

Feb 23, 2012, 8:43:10 PM2/23/12
Interesting to see two words that are not used in non-North-American
English at all. Well, I think I've seen "pacifier" used to mean a club
in 19th century English, but not recently.

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Feb 23, 2012, 8:43:57 PM2/23/12
"dummy-tits" or "teats" in all of our extended family.

--
Robert Bannister

Duggy

Feb 23, 2012, 9:32:27 PM2/23/12
It's "Dummy" in Australia.

And that is why the Vin Diesel film "The Pacifier" was called "The
Dummy" here.

===
= DUG.
===

Steve Hayes

Feb 24, 2012, 12:41:33 AM2/24/12
Or one of those Rambo-type heroes who go around pacifying the unruly, whether
children or adults. Or even a drone.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Nasti J

Feb 24, 2012, 12:43:49 AM2/24/12
On Feb 23, 7:45 am, Cheryl <cperk...@mun.ca> wrote:

> I never heard either of them. I think nowadays people say 'nuk' or
> 'nuknuk' after the brand name, but when I was a child, they were called
> 'dumb-tits' by some people.

When my children were little (my 'baby' will be 41 next month) a
pacifier was called a binky.

Don Petter

Feb 24, 2012, 4:57:03 AM2/24/12
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:39:58 +0000, Nick Spalding <spal...@iol.ie>
wrote:
Might this relate to 'dudeen', which I believe is a clay pipe (as in
the song 'Rocks of Bawn')?

Don.

Peter Moylan

Feb 24, 2012, 8:40:28 AM2/24/12
"Dummy" in Australia. "Pacifier" sounds like one of those super-heroes
who go around clobbering their victims.

I've heard "sucette" in French, but haven't paid attention to the
meaning. I'd expect it to mean a kind of lolly.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Steve Hayes

Feb 24, 2012, 10:43:23 AM2/24/12
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:40:28 +1100, Peter Moylan
<inv...@peter.pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>Nick Spalding wrote:
>> retrosorter wrote, in
>> <bf745ecb-ff81-457f...@w5g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>
>> on Thu, 23 Feb 2012 06:09:37 -0800 (PST):
>>
>>> I've heard several English-speaking people in Canada, and particularly
>>> in Quebec, use the term "suss" for "pacifier." I assume this derives
>>>from the French word for "suck" ("sucer"). Does anyone know if the
>>> term "suss" is used anywhere else in the world to refer to a pacifier?
>>
>> I don't know of one. Here in Ireland the word is 'dodie'; is that
>> used anywhere else?
>
>"Dummy" in Australia. "Pacifier" sounds like one of those super-heroes
>who go around clobbering their victims.

My first thought too, but if the context is baby care, I recall reading a
discussion about whether to give a baby a pacifier in one of those third-party
operating manuals that didn't come with the child but had to be bought
separately.

I thought it was referring to the patent gripe water we sometimes gave our
daughter when she yelled all night.

Nick Spalding

Feb 24, 2012, 11:01:46 AM2/24/12
Steve Hayes wrote, in <3rbfk7hvtke6ac9dk...@4ax.com>
on Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:43:23 +0200:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:40:28 +1100, Peter Moylan
><inv...@peter.pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Nick Spalding wrote:
>>> retrosorter wrote, in
>>> <bf745ecb-ff81-457f...@w5g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>
>>> on Thu, 23 Feb 2012 06:09:37 -0800 (PST):

>>> I don't know of one. Here in Ireland the word is 'dodie'; is that
>>> used anywhere else?
>>
>>"Dummy" in Australia. "Pacifier" sounds like one of those super-heroes
>>who go around clobbering their victims.
>
>My first thought too, but if the context is baby care, I recall reading a
>discussion about whether to give a baby a pacifier in one of those third-party
>operating manuals that didn't come with the child but had to be bought
>separately.
>
>I thought it was referring to the patent gripe water we sometimes gave our
>daughter when she yelled all night.

We never gave any of ours one but we were great believers in gripe
water. When we went to the USA for a while in 1963/4 we found to our
horror that it wasn't available there and anyone we knew of coming our
way was instructed to bring some.
--
Nick Spalding
BrE/IrE

Christian Weisgerber

Feb 24, 2012, 11:07:02 AM2/24/12
Peter Moylan <inv...@peter.pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> >> I've heard several English-speaking people in Canada, and particularly
> >> in Quebec, use the term "suss" for "pacifier." I assume this derives
> >>from the French word for "suck" ("sucer").
>
> I've heard "sucette" in French, but haven't paid attention to the
> meaning. I'd expect it to mean a kind of lolly.

Yes, "sucette" is a lollipop, but it can also refer to a pacifier
("tétine"); "suce" is a Québécois term for the latter.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

retrosorter

Feb 24, 2012, 1:57:53 PM2/24/12
On Feb 24, 11:07 am, na...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:
Once we're on the subject of terms relative to babies, I was surprised
to discover upon inptting the word "pram" in the OED to find out that
the word is actually a shortening of "perambulator."

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Feb 24, 2012, 4:16:07 PM2/24/12
Yes. I can't think of any other similar abbreviation.

The "e" in "perambulator" is a schwa. I wonder whether in some
pronunciations of the word it disappeared giving "prambulator" or
whether it disappeared only in "pram"?

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Mike Lyle

Feb 24, 2012, 5:33:49 PM2/24/12
I think the formal term you'd find on the packet in UK is "comforter".

--
Mike.

Skitt

Feb 24, 2012, 6:59:19 PM2/24/12
Mike Lyle wrote:
> Robert Bannister wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:

>>> I never heard either of them. I think nowadays people say 'nuk' or
>>> 'nuknuk' after the brand name, but when I was a child, they were called
>>> 'dumb-tits' by some people.
>>
>> "dummy-tits" or "teats" in all of our extended family.
>
> I think the formal term you'd find on the packet in UK is "comforter".

That's a blanket.

--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt

R H Draney

Feb 24, 2012, 8:11:36 PM2/24/12
Skitt filted:
No it's not, it's a quilt...or a duvet....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Robert Bannister

Feb 24, 2012, 8:18:34 PM2/24/12
I don't think I would have understood that back when I still lived in
England. I thought "comforter" was American for "eiderdown".

--
Robert Bannister

Skitt

Feb 24, 2012, 8:26:54 PM2/24/12
Those still fall under the broad classification of blankets, but you are
right about the more specific names.

Steve Hayes

Feb 24, 2012, 9:17:54 PM2/24/12
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:33:49 +0000, Mike Lyle <mike_l...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>I think the formal term you'd find on the packet in UK is "comforter".

I thought that was a kind of eiderdown or duvet.

Katy Jennison

Feb 25, 2012, 5:17:22 AM2/25/12
Not in BrE. I'm not convinced most people here would come up with
"comforter" for dummy, either, but they wouldn't think it was a duvet.

When my American grandchildren were small, the object of the OP's query
was called a "bink". This must have come from my American d-i-l's side,
as it wasn't from ours.

--
Katy Jennison

Cheryl

Feb 25, 2012, 8:45:01 AM2/25/12
A comforter is a sort of like a duvet, but you don't have to put a cover
on it because it's made with one. It's poofy. Quilts aren't, at least in
my mother's dialect, which appeared to differ in this matter from mine.

A couple years ago she insisted she wanted to buy a quilt, and I
expressed surprise since she already had several. After a certain amount
of lively debate, I realized that she wanted one of these:

http://www.sears.ca/product/roots-whistler-quilt/696-000691584-PQW1186TW

not:

http://www.sears.ca/product/my-stuff-md-natasha-comforter-set/696-000691584-NATASHA

Although the photos don't do justice to the puffiness of some comforters.

--
Cheryl

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Feb 25, 2012, 9:26:07 AM2/25/12
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:33:49 +0000, Mike Lyle <mike_l...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

A quick search for "dummy" in the "baby" category at Amazon (UK) finds
the words "dummy", "pacifier", "comforter" and "soother" used in the
descriptions of them. Some headline descriptions use two or three of the
words: "Dummies/ Soothers/ Pacifiers", "DUMMY SOOTHER COMFORTER", etc.

"Soother" seems to be the most frequently used.

The images are of the dummies rather than the packaging.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Feb 25, 2012, 11:03:17 AM2/25/12
Those are made as a hobby by Quilters:
http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk/

They are perhaps better-known to non-quilters as "patchwork quilts".
http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/q/patchwork-quilts

There's a lot of quilting going on in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilting

>not:
>
>http://www.sears.ca/product/my-stuff-md-natasha-comforter-set/696-000691584-NATASHA
>
>Although the photos don't do justice to the puffiness of some comforters.

Adam Funk

Feb 25, 2012, 12:18:40 PM2/25/12
Don't schwas disappear relatively easily anyway, especially in BrE?

--
XML is like violence: if it doesn't solve the problem,
use more.

Mike Lyle

Feb 25, 2012, 2:03:06 PM2/25/12
Just checked Boots Online, and you're right as usual. "Soother", they
say.

In army-speak, a cap-comforter is one of those short hollow scarves
you can turn into a cap for warmth and stealth.

--
Mike.

Mike Lyle

Feb 25, 2012, 2:14:12 PM2/25/12
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:03:17 +0000, "Peter Duncanson (BrE)"
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:15:01 -0330, Cheryl <cper...@mun.ca> wrote:

[...]
>>A comforter is a sort of like a duvet, but you don't have to put a cover
>>on it because it's made with one. It's poofy.
[My line break]

Oops! The word "poofy" is disadvised in OurE: it's a derogatory term
for the "queeny" type of gay men.

>Quilts aren't, at least in
>>my mother's dialect, which appeared to differ in this matter from mine.
>>
>>A couple years ago she insisted she wanted to buy a quilt, and I
>>expressed surprise since she already had several. After a certain amount
>>of lively debate, I realized that she wanted one of these:
>>
>>http://www.sears.ca/product/roots-whistler-quilt/696-000691584-PQW1186TW
>>
>Those are made as a hobby by Quilters:
>http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk/
>
>They are perhaps better-known to non-quilters as "patchwork quilts".
>http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/q/patchwork-quilts
>
>There's a lot of quilting going on in the US:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilting

Field Marshal Wavell, in the intro to his anthology _Other Men's
Flowers_ affectionately described his wife's habit of collecting
lovely pieces of cloth which, one day, would be made into a patchwork
quilt, but which for the present she was content to pull out from time
to time and admire. He compared it to his mental collection of poetry.

I wonder what happened to all those brocades and jacquards...

>>not:
>>
>>http://www.sears.ca/product/my-stuff-md-natasha-comforter-set/696-000691584-NATASHA
>>
>>Although the photos don't do justice to the puffiness of some comforters.

--
Mike.

Robert Bannister

Feb 25, 2012, 7:10:29 PM2/25/12
Which in my English is a quilt or bedspread.
> not:
>
> http://www.sears.ca/product/my-stuff-md-natasha-comforter-set/696-000691584-NATASHA

while this is a "continental quilt" or "duvet" or "doona".

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Feb 25, 2012, 7:14:54 PM2/25/12
With hindsight, "dummy teat" is an exact description of what it is, but
the way the word was stressed (dummytit as one word with first syllable
stress) did not make that obvious when I was young. Later, when I was
grown up, I got used to plain "dummy", but that does beg the question
somewhat: dummy what?

--
Robert Bannister

Robert Bannister

Feb 25, 2012, 7:15:29 PM2/25/12
It's okay so long as you keep your eyes on them.

--
Robert Bannister