To misle?

Mark Eckenwiler

Nov 9, 1991, 11:48:23 PM11/9/91
In <1991Nov9.0...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, ewo...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu stated:
>In article <JMC.91No...@SAIL.Stanford.EDU> j...@cs.Stanford.EDU writes:
>
>>but I think I was misled by it.
> ^^^^^^
>
>When I first read this word--misled--I never connected it with its
>infinitive--to mislead--because I mispronounced it in my head as I
>read: my'-zulled.

>Has anyone had similar experiences?

infrared
underfed

Followups to a.u.e, since this has next to nothing to do with books.
--
Brokaw knows the frequency. Rather won it from him at racquetball.
- Roy Blount, Jr.

Mark Eckenwiler e...@panix.com ...!cmcl2!panix!eck

Paul Chen

Nov 11, 1991, 11:28:33 PM11/11/91
i too originally misread `misled'; even after learning the correct
pronunciation, i still like the sound i'd heard at first: "mizzled."
and i also agree that "to misle" should appear as a back-formation
verb.

"to revulse" is another back-formation i'd like to see. there are
others i've thought of but can't at the moment.

Kathleen Much

Nov 12, 1991, 5:36:33 PM11/12/91
In article <1991Nov10....@panix.com> e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler) writes:
>>When I first read this word--misled--I never connected it with its
>>infinitive--to mislead--because I mispronounced it in my head as I
>>read: my'-zulled.
>
>>Has anyone had similar experiences?
>
>infrared
>underfed

renewal--reen'-wall

Kathleen Much, Editor |E-mail: kath...@casbs.stanford.EDU
CASBS, 202 Junipero Serra Blvd. |Phone: (415) 321-2052
Stanford, CA 94305 |Fax: (415) 321-1192

Anthony V. Hewitt

Nov 13, 1991, 2:45:45 PM11/13/91
=>
=> In article <1991Nov10....@panix.com> e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler) writes:
=> >>When I first read this word--misled--I never connected it with its
=> >>infinitive--to mislead--because I mispronounced it in my head as I
=> >>read: my'-zulled.
=> >
=> >>Has anyone had similar experiences?
=> >
=> >infrared
=> >underfed
=>
=> renewal--reen'-wall

bedraggled (BED-raggled) a. a tousled state due to having been bedridden.
Anthony V. Hewitt Phone 414 548-5170 (GE Dialcom 8*320-5170)
Senior Physicist
General Electric Company Fax 414 548-5197 (8*320-5197)
P.O.Box 414, W-641
Milwaukee, WI 53201 Internet: hew...@aslpet.med.ge.com

Michael Park

Nov 13, 1991, 10:00:38 PM11/13/91

I often stumble over "entranced" (the opposite of "exited",
I guess, which btw also gives me trouble...)

--
Ciao-abunga!

Michael Park mp...@u.washington.edu

William F Phillips

Nov 14, 1991, 2:09:44 AM11/14/91
:In article <1991Nov10....@panix.com> e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler) writes:
:>>When I first read this word--misled--I never connected it with its
:>>infinitive--to mislead--because I mispronounced it in my head as I
:>>read: my'-zulled.
:>
:>>Has anyone had similar experiences?

A newspaper editor I knew many MANY years ago used to really look forward
to good, juicy stories involving

child MOLE-sters

___ ___ _ | Bill Phillips,
(/__) . /) /) (/__) /_ . /) /) . _ _ | Friend Of A Friend
/__) (__(__(___ / / )_(__(__(__(_ /_)_/_)_ | w...@athena.mit.edu
( ( ( | w...@world.std.com
The Vanishing Programmer

Rob Hutchings

Nov 13, 1991, 1:11:35 PM11/13/91

molester - rhymes with pollster, bolster, holster --- RobH

K W Lucas

Nov 14, 1991, 8:26:59 AM11/14/91

It happens in other languages. What about "bevelen" in Dutch?
I got it wrong when I first saw it.

Keith Lucas
--
Keith Lucas,
Part time lecturer, | UUCP: ...!ukc!aber-cs!kwl

Mike Ardai

Nov 14, 1991, 12:19:06 PM11/14/91
In article <1991Nov13....@vax.oxford.ac.uk> dla...@vax.oxford.ac.uk (Rob Hutchings) writes:
-In article <1991Nov12....@casbs.Stanford.EDU>, kath...@casbs.Stanford.EDU (Kathleen Much) writes:
-> In article <1991Nov10....@panix.com> e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler) writes:
->>>When I first read this word--misled--I never connected it with its
->>>infinitive--to mislead--because I mispronounced it in my head as I
->>>read: my'-zulled.
-molester - rhymes with pollster, bolster, holster --- RobH

Also therapist/the rapist.

In VMS, option keywords are negated with the prefix NO. I once stared
at the command
SUBMIT /NOPRINT /NORESTART /NOTIFY file.com
trying to figure out what the TIFY switch did and why it was turned off ;-)
/mike
--
\|/ Michael L. Ardai N1IST Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colin Kendall

Nov 18, 1991, 3:07:11 PM11/18/91
In article <1991Nov12....@casbs.Stanford.EDU> kath...@casbs.Stanford.EDU (Kathleen Much) writes:
>In article <1991Nov10....@panix.com> e...@panix.com (Mark Eckenwiler) writes:
>>>When I first read this word--misled--I never connected it with its
>>>infinitive--to mislead--because I mispronounced it in my head as I
>>>read: my'-zulled.
>>
>>>Has anyone had similar experiences?

Yosemite, to rhyme with Joe's mite.
Dunedin, to rhyme with tuned in.

>--
>Kathleen Much, Editor |E-mail: kath...@casbs.stanford.EDU
>CASBS, 202 Junipero Serra Blvd. |Phone: (415) 321-2052
>Stanford, CA 94305 |Fax: (415) 321-1192

--

colin

Dian De Sha

Nov 19, 1991, 1:50:14 PM11/19/91
I used to read about Penelope (rhymed with antelope and cantaloupe).

Ann McKelvie

Nov 19, 1991, 7:32:13 PM11/19/91

determined = rhymes with Peter mind
erudite= eroo'dight
.

Dian De Sha

Nov 21, 1991, 3:17:56 PM11/21/91
Does anyone else have difficulty with "molester"?
In reading a headline this morning, my first take rhymed with pollster.