Οι Ομάδες Google δεν υποστηρίζουν πλέον νέες αναρτήσεις ή εγγραφές στο Usenet. Το ιστορικό περιεχόμενο παραμένει ορατό.

rather than

25 προβολές
Παράβλεψη και μετάβαση στο πρώτο μη αναγνωσμένο μήνυμα

hongy...@gmail.com

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 5:47:22 π.μ.20/9/21
ως
As far as the following sentence is concerned: They thus increased their annual grain production rather than diminished it.

Can I omit the "rather than", i.e., change it into the following form: They thus increased their annual grain production, diminished it.

Regards,
HZ

Peter T. Daniels

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 8:53:40 π.μ.20/9/21
ως
On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 5:47:22 AM UTC-4, hongy...@gmail.com wrote:

> As far as the following sentence is concerned: They thus increased their annual grain production rather than diminished it.
>
> Can I omit the "rather than", i.e., change it into the following form: They thus increased their annual grain production, diminished it.

Of course not. The sentence offers the contrast between increasing
and diminishing production. It is not possible to simultaneously
increase and decrease the same thing.

This is not a question about English usage, but about common sense.

(I would prefer "rather than diminish it" in the original sentence. That may
be British vs. American.)

hongy...@gmail.com

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 10:03:36 π.μ.20/9/21
ως
But this will cause the problem of inconsistent tense: increased ... diminish ...

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 10:04:55 π.μ.20/9/21
ως
Me too, in BrE.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

CDB

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 10:38:12 π.μ.20/9/21
ως
No. "Rather than" indicates that the two alternatives ("increased" and
"diminished") are different; in this case they are opposites.

Snidely

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 2:49:24 μ.μ.20/9/21
ως
On Monday or thereabouts, hongy...@gmail.com asked ...
Isn't this a use of an infinitive in the contrasting clause, rather
than a tense tension?

/dps

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

Mark Brader

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 3:33:59 μ.μ.20/9/21
ως
Hongyi Zhao:
Plonk.
--
Mark Brader | "The only thing required for the triumph of darkness
Toronto | is for good men not to call Hydro."

Peter Moylan

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Σεπ 2021, 11:01:10 μ.μ.20/9/21
ως
Yes. I haven't looked at enough examples, but it seems to me that an
infinitive is usually required after "rather than".

These prepositional phrases seem to control what is allowed after them.
To change the example slightly, consider the example sentence

"They thus increased their annual grain production, instead of
diminishing it."

It is almost unthinkable to have a past tense follow "instead of".

Peter T. Daniels

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Σεπ 2021, 8:42:07 π.μ.21/9/21
ως
Certainly.

> It is almost unthinkable to have a past tense follow "instead of".

Looks, then, like the constraint should be stated not as "an infinitive"
but as "a non-finite verb form."

Jerry Friedman

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Σεπ 2021, 8:58:52 π.μ.21/9/21
ως
On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 9:01:10 PM UTC-6, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 21/09/21 05:49, Snidely wrote:
> > On Monday or thereabouts, hongy...@gmail.com asked ...
> >>
> >> But this will cause the problem of inconsistent tense: increased
> >> ... diminish ...
> >
> > Isn't this a use of an infinitive in the contrasting clause, rather
> > than a tense tension?

> Yes. I haven't looked at enough examples, but it seems to me that an
> infinitive is usually required after "rather than".

At more formal levels, you can get away with a past or present tense,
especially if the "rather than" is immediately after the preceding verb.
For instance, "...I sensed rather than saw his grin." (Abbie Williams,
/Soul of a Crow/, 2017, via COCA.)

Examples with more words between the two verbs are rarer, and I
think show up more in speech than in writing.

"... history has proven that the legitimacy of the Bush presidency, I think
suffered from the Supreme Court's decision rather than was enhanced
by it..." (David Margolick on the radio program /Fresh Air/, 2004.)

In writing, I think a good writer might well not use "rather than" there.

--
Jerry Friedman

Snidely

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Σεπ 2021, 4:44:46 μ.μ.21/9/21
ως
Mark Brader pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
> Hongyi Zhao:
>> As far as the following sentence is concerned: They thus increased their
>> annual grain production rather than diminished it.
>>
>> Can I omit the "rather than", i.e., change it into the following form:
>> They thus increased their annual grain production, diminished it.
>
> Plonk.

TMI

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.