to slow, slowed, slown

Christian Weisgerber

Mar 20, 2011, 8:58:51 AM3/20/11
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/19/libya-no-fly-zone-live-updates

| 3.49am: We've been slown down by a technical problem but things seem to
| be back in action now.

"Slown"?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Mar 20, 2011, 11:25:09 AM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:58:51 +0000 (UTC), na...@mips.inka.de (Christian
Weisgerber) wrote:

>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/19/libya-no-fly-zone-live-updates
>
>| 3.49am: We've been slown down by a technical problem but things seem to
>| be back in action now.
>
>"Slown"?

Unusual, but completely comprehensible.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

CDB

Mar 20, 2011, 1:39:32 PM3/20/11
Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:58:51 +0000 (UTC), na...@mips.inka.de
> (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:
>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/19/libya-no-fly-zone-live-updates
>>
>>> 3.49am: We've been slown down by a technical problem but things
>>> seem to be back in action now.
>>
>> "Slown"?
>
> Unusual, but completely comprehensible.

Conjugated like grow, blow, mow, sow, and throw. I wouldn't have
expected to see it in writing of any formality, but maybe blogs are
exempt.

I know that people will be blown to bloody, shredded pieces whatever
our side does or doesn't do, but I still dislike myself for feeling
excited.

John O'Flaherty

Mar 20, 2011, 2:56:34 PM3/20/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:58:51 +0000 (UTC), na...@mips.inka.de
(Christian Weisgerber) wrote:

>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/19/libya-no-fly-zone-live-updates
>
>| 3.49am: We've been slown down by a technical problem but things seem to
>| be back in action now.
>
>"Slown"?

It sounds strange, it's not listed as an alternative participle at AHD
or M-W, and it isn't found at all at onelook.com. I wouldn't use it.

--
John

Dr Nick

Mar 20, 2011, 2:59:16 PM3/20/11

It's not in Chambers either. It doesn't look quite right in print, but
I'd not twitch if I heard it (although in fast speech it's probably not
clear whether it was "slown" or "slowed" anyway, particularly with that
'd' at the start of "down").

Jerry Friedman

Mar 20, 2011, 10:56:50 PM3/20/11
On Mar 20, 11:39 am, "CDB" <bellema...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:58:51 +0000 (UTC), na...@mips.inka.de
> > (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:
>
> >>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/19/libya-no-fly-zone-li...

> >> "Slown"?
>
> > Unusual, but completely comprehensible.
>
> Conjugated like grow, blow, mow, sow, and throw.  I wouldn't have
> expected to see it in writing of any formality, but maybe blogs are
> exempt.

I'm sure I've heard it.

The unexamined Google count is not worth giving, but I'm giving two
anyway.

"been slown": 1,620
"been slowed": 911,000

--
Jerry Friedman

Bertel Lund Hansen

Mar 21, 2011, 4:10:43 AM3/21/11
Jerry Friedman skrev:

> The unexamined Google count is not worth giving, but I'm giving two
> anyway.

> "been slown": 1,620
> "been slowed": 911,000

"been slowen": 29

--
Bertel, Denmark

Message has been deleted

JimboCat

Mar 21, 2011, 1:41:47 PM3/21/11
> | 3.49am: We've been slown down by a technical problem but things seem to
> | be back in action now.
>
> "Slown"?

This is clearly allied, at least in spirit, to hacker jargon, but my
(rather old) copy of the hacker's dictionary doesn't list it. Nothing
between "slopsucker" and "Slowlaris", alas.

Jim Deutch (JimboCat)
--
"A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver." -- Boon

masonc...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2016, 11:24:59 PM10/10/16
Your all hilarious.

bill van