What is a roundel?

Dingbat

Sep 27, 2022, 6:20:21 PM9/27/22
Subject: What is a roundel?

This article calls an ancient circular building a roundel.
<https://www.livescience.com/neolithic-roundel-structure-prague>

If circular buildings were still called roundels, Royal Albert Hall would be one
Transport for London calls the Underground's 3-circle logo a roundel.

HVS

Sep 28, 2022, 8:16:47 AM9/28/22
On 27 Sep 2022, Dingbat wrote

> Subject: What is a roundel?
>
> This article calls an ancient circular building a roundel.
><https://www.livescience.com/neolithic-roundel-structure-prague>

The most commnn use for me is the art history term for a circular,
decorative panel (della Robbia inevitably springs to min), but AFAIK
it's used for anything that's round.

> If circular buildings were still called roundels, Royal Albert
> Hall would be one

I suppose, but it's more likely to be called a "rotunda".

> Transport for London calls the Underground's
> 3-circle logo a roundel.

TfL call it a "roundel" because that's what it is.

--
Chhers, Harvey

soup

Sep 28, 2022, 4:21:56 PM9/28/22
I have only ever thought of a roundel as applied to aircraft
I.E. https://tinyurl.com/2sxm7pex

Note for further discussion.
According to that 'page' not all roundels are round witness American
(US) stars and bars and Russian stars

Sam Plusnet

Sep 29, 2022, 5:31:14 PM9/29/22
I suppose the US symbol is a roundel with wings - which isn't a bad notion.

--
Sam Plusnet