Seen in the wild

1 view

R H Draney

Jun 21, 2010, 6:16:07 PM6/21/10
Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a "sandwhich"....

They also have a "jumo hot dog", and offer both "mayonaise" and "mayonnaise" as
well as a "dressing sauce"....r

--
"Oy! A cat made of lead cannot fly."
- Mark Brader declaims a basic scientific principle

Skitt

Jun 21, 2010, 6:34:16 PM6/21/10
"R H Draney" wrote:

> Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a
> "sandwhich"....
>
> They also have a "jumo hot dog", and offer both "mayonaise" and
> "mayonnaise" as
> well as a "dressing sauce"....r

I used to know a girl who was given to dressing saucily. Nice!
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt

R H Draney

Jun 21, 2010, 7:05:17 PM6/21/10
Skitt filted:

>"R H Draney" wrote:
>
>> Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a
>> "sandwhich"....
>>
>> They also have a "jumo hot dog", and offer both "mayonaise" and
>> "mayonnaise" as
>> well as a "dressing sauce"....r
>
>I used to know a girl who was given to dressing saucily. Nice!

Link to the menu would have helped:

http://ranchdrivein.com/themenu.php

(Found this while scouting Google Maps to see if I really used to walk five
miles every Saturday just to go to the library and back)....r

Stan Brown

Jun 21, 2010, 8:44:43 PM6/21/10
On 21 Jun 2010 15:16:07 -0700, R H Draney wrote:

> Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a "sandwhich"....
>
> They also have a "jumo hot dog", and offer both "mayonaise" and "mayonnaise" as
> well as a "dressing sauce"....r

And a new sign recently appeared near the local school:

STATE LAW

NOISE LIMIT

90 DECIBLES

There have been similar signs near the local mall for some years.
The content is equally silly, but at least they're spelled correctly.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

James Hogg

Jun 22, 2010, 2:16:00 AM6/22/10
Stan Brown wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2010 15:16:07 -0700, R H Draney wrote:
>> Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a "sandwhich"....
>>
>> They also have a "jumo hot dog", and offer both "mayonaise" and "mayonnaise" as
>> well as a "dressing sauce"....r
>
> And a new sign recently appeared near the local school:
>
> STATE LAW
>
> NOISE LIMIT
>
> 90 DECIBLES

Jesus had only 12.

--
James

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Jun 22, 2010, 6:04:54 AM6/22/10
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:16:00 +0200, James Hogg <Jas....@gOUTmail.com>
wrote:

His were spelled differently: "discipels".

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

James Hogg

Jun 22, 2010, 7:16:56 AM6/22/10

And they were frequently seen in their dishabilles.

--
James

Adam Funk

Jun 22, 2010, 8:52:07 AM6/22/10

No, that was the woman caught in adultery.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Jun 22, 2010, 9:15:32 AM6/22/10
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:52:07 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com>
wrote:

>On 2010-06-22, James Hogg wrote:
>
>> Peter Duncanson (BrE) wrote:

>>> His were spelled differently: "discipels".
>>
>> And they were frequently seen in their dishabilles.
>

>No, that was the woman caught in adultery.

<Very old joke alert> Was that the grown-up version of the infantry?

Evan Kirshenbaum

Jun 22, 2010, 11:07:38 AM6/22/10
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:

> And a new sign recently appeared near the local school:
>
> STATE LAW
>
> NOISE LIMIT
>
> 90 DECIBLES
>
> There have been similar signs near the local mall for some years.
> The content is equally silly, but at least they're spelled correctly.

I wonder if the school has a bell.

HP Laboratories |Of course, over the first 10^-10
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |seconds and 10^-30 cubic
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |centimeters it averages out to
|zero, but when you look in
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |detail....
(650)857-7572 | Philip Morrison

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Prai Jei

Jun 22, 2010, 3:09:34 PM6/22/10
Skitt set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

> "R H Draney" wrote:
>
>> Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a
>> "sandwhich"....
>>
>> They also have a "jumo hot dog", and offer both "mayonaise" and
>> "mayonnaise" as
>> well as a "dressing sauce"....r

Just looked at the menu, and found tartar sauce available. Is that the same
as the tartare sauce we have over here?

> I used to know a girl who was given to dressing saucily. Nice!

Name? Address? Phone number?
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Peter Moylan

Jun 22, 2010, 9:55:44 PM6/22/10
Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> And a new sign recently appeared near the local school:
>>
>> STATE LAW
>>
>> NOISE LIMIT
>>
>> 90 DECIBLES
>>
>> There have been similar signs near the local mall for some years.
>> The content is equally silly, but at least they're spelled correctly.
>
> I wonder if the school has a bell.

No, it has a ble.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Mark Brader

Jun 23, 2010, 2:52:39 AM6/23/10
>>> STATE LAW
>>> NOISE LIMIT
>>> 90 DECIBLES

>> Jesus had only 12.

> His were spelled differently: "discipels".

Or for Americans, "diskipels"?
--
Mark Brader "The design of the lowercase e in text faces
Toronto produces strong feelings (or should do so)."

John Holmes

Jun 23, 2010, 4:44:12 AM6/23/10
Peter Moylan wrote:
> Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
>> Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>>
>>> And a new sign recently appeared near the local school:
>>>
>>> STATE LAW
>>>
>>> NOISE LIMIT
>>>
>>> 90 DECIBLES
>>>
>>> There have been similar signs near the local mall for some years.
>>> The content is equally silly, but at least they're spelled
>>> correctly.
>>
>> I wonder if the school has a bell.
>>
> No, it has a ble.

I don't bleieve it.

--
Regards
John

Adam Funk

Jun 23, 2010, 8:57:06 AM6/23/10
On 2010-06-22, Prai Jei wrote:

> Just looked at the menu, and found tartar sauce available. Is that the same
> as the tartare sauce we have over here?

It was called "Mongol sauce" until the Khans sued for trademark
infringement.

--
I spend almost as much time figuring out what's wrong with my computer
as I do actually using it. Networked software, especially, requires

Adam Funk

Jun 25, 2010, 7:33:57 AM6/25/10
On 2010-06-21, R H Draney wrote:

> Place I used to go back in the early 70s will now sell you a "sandwhich"....

Here you can get sandwitch recipes:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/sandwitch

--
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of
the American public. [Mencken]

Stan Brown

Jun 30, 2010, 9:31:37 PM6/30/10
At the corner of Routes 38 ad 13 in Dryden, New York, on an empty
lot:

NO
TRESPASSING
VIOLATORS
WILL BE
PROSECUTED

I read it and thought, "That's nice and forgiving of the property
owner."

Mark Brader

Jul 1, 2010, 1:05:09 PM7/1/10
Stan Brown (copyedited):
> At the corner of Routes 38 and 13 in Dryden, New York, on an empty lot:

Well, that'd be in the wild all right...

> NO
> TRESPASSING
> VIOLATORS
> WILL BE
> PROSECUTED
>
> I read it and thought, "That's nice and forgiving of the property
> owner."

That reminds me of the one I mentioned here in 2000, which appeared
on CN or VIA Rail passenger trains (whichever it was that year) for
a while in the mid-1970s. Previously the trains had been divided
into "smoking" and "cigarettes only" sections; now they had replaced
one of these with non-smoking sections. With signs that read:

No smoking regulations are strictly enforced

--
Mark Brader | "The problem with waiting for a 'smoking gun' is
Toronto | that it means the gun has already been fired."

Glenn Knickerbocker

Jul 1, 2010, 5:16:36 PM7/1/10

It doesn't seem like anywhere near ten years since I wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:38:01 -0400, Gardner S Trask III wrote:
>
>>THIS IS NOT A TOY INTENDED FOR ADULT USE ONLY
>
> I honestly couldn't parse these signs at work for a week or two:
>
> _________________
> | |
> | N O |
> | P A R K I N G |
> | V E H I C L E S |
> | W I L L |
> | B E |
> | T O W E D |
> |_________________|
>
> I suppose, in the strictest sense, any vehicle being towed is no longer
> parking.

ŹR

Stan Brown

Jul 3, 2010, 4:03:57 PM7/3/10
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:31:37 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> At the corner of Routes 38 ad 13 in Dryden, New York, on an empty
> lot:
>
> NO
> TRESPASSING
> VIOLATORS
> WILL BE
> PROSECUTED
>
> I read it and thought, "That's nice and forgiving of the property
> owner."

I'm just back from a family gathering, where on Thursday I told them
about the sign. On Friday, one of the quoted it as "No trespassers
will be violated." I thought that was an even more important
reassurance.

R H Draney

Jul 3, 2010, 5:18:07 PM7/3/10
Stan Brown filted:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:31:37 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> At the corner of Routes 38 ad 13 in Dryden, New York, on an empty
>> lot:
>>
>> NO
>> TRESPASSING
>> VIOLATORS
>> WILL BE
>> PROSECUTED
>>
>> I read it and thought, "That's nice and forgiving of the property
>> owner."
>
>I'm just back from a family gathering, where on Thursday I told them
>about the sign. On Friday, one of the quoted it as "No trespassers
>will be violated." I thought that was an even more important
>reassurance.

Especially to those with an understandable aversion to violas....r

are registered trademarks of Google Groups
and cannot be used without express written permission
of the trademark holder.