What is origin of 'What you mean, "we," Kemo Sabe?'

aruzinsky

Nov 22, 2007, 12:21:27 PM11/22/07
I believe that I first saw that saying in a cartoon parody of the Lone
Ranger appearing in an imitator of Mad Magazine in the 1950s.
Originally, I thought it was Mad because they did indeed have a
cartoon parody of the Lone Ranger, but, after recently looking at a
reprint, apparently not. So, my memory was playing tricks and I now
suspect it must have been an imitator such as Cracked or Sick. The
story ends with the Lone Ranger and Tonto being surrounded by hostile
Indians. Lone Ranger says something like, "It looks like we are going
to die." and Tonto replies, 'What you mean, "we," Kemo Sabe?'

BTW, is my usage of quotation marks correct?

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2007, 12:37:21 PM11/22/07
"Aruzinsky" writes:
> Lone Ranger says something like, "It looks like we are going
> to die." and Tonto replies, 'What you mean, "we," Kemo Sabe?'
>
> BTW, is my usage of quotation marks correct?

No. You need to use the same type of mark for the outer level
of quoting in each instance, not the inner level. Also, when
a quotation ends with a period and the outer sentence continues,
the period is dropped, and in a typical quotation context like
this it's replaced with a comma. So one possibility -- and this
is typical North American style -- is:

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Those who cannot Google the past are destined to
m...@vex.net | repost it." -- Huey Callison, after Santayana

R H Draney

Nov 22, 2007, 2:17:00 PM11/22/07
aruzinsky filted:

Some of us may remember the musical version:

The Lone Ranger
Lyrics by: Oscar Brown Jr.
1974

The Lone Ranger and Tonto
Were riding down the Navajo Trail
When a band of Indians found em
Proceeded to surround em and
The Lone Ranger turned kinda pale

Tonto, our lives are in danger
We got to get away if we can
Tonto just looked at Lone Ranger
What you mean, we, white man

(CHORUS)
Tell me what you mean (We, white man), Tell me what you mean (we)
Tell me what you mean (We, white man), Tell me what you mean (we)
You in heap big trouble, But it don`t involve me, white man
No, it don`t involve me
It do not involve me, white man, It do not involve me

The Lone Ranger said, Tonto
Why talk about the shade of my hide
After all we been through
It would make me mighty blue
If you don`t remain by my side

We`ll steal away said the Ranger
Grab an Injun by the hand
Tonto said, turn me loose, stranger
What you mean, we, white man

(Repeat CHORUS)

The Lone Ranger cried, Tonto
Stick with me and I`ll double your pay
We can do a switch about
You give me your pony, Scout
And ride Silver, hi-ho away

But hurry up said the masked man
To get away, we`re gonna have to race
Tonto took Silver and laughed
And said what you mean, we, paleface

(Repeat CHORUS, changing "white man" to "paleface")

....r

--
"He come in the night when one sleep on a bed.
With a hand he have the basket and foods."

Unknown

Nov 22, 2007, 2:33:01 PM11/22/07

In the version of the joke I heard, sometime back in the mid-twentieth
c., the punchline was "What you mean 'we', paleface?'

A frequent reader of Mad, I don't remember seeing this particular
parody therein. But it does suit the gently iconoclastic approach of
that publication.

Donna Richoux

Nov 22, 2007, 3:48:13 PM11/22/07
Michael West <> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:21:27 -0800 (PST), aruzinsky
> <aruz...@general-cathexis.com> wrote:
>
> >I believe that I first saw that saying in a cartoon parody of the Lone
> >Ranger appearing in an imitator of Mad Magazine in the 1950s.
> >Originally, I thought it was Mad because they did indeed have a
> >cartoon parody of the Lone Ranger, but, after recently looking at a
> >reprint, apparently not. So, my memory was playing tricks and I now
> >suspect it must have been an imitator such as Cracked or Sick. The
> >story ends with the Lone Ranger and Tonto being surrounded by hostile
> >Indians. Lone Ranger says something like, "It looks like we are going
> >to die." and Tonto replies, 'What you mean, "we," Kemo Sabe?'
>

> In the version of the joke I heard, sometime back in the mid-twentieth
> c., the punchline was "What you mean 'we', paleface?'

Searching on "we white man" at Google Books shows the joke turning up in
1970 and repeated thereafter. That fits in with my recollection of the
social attitudes of that era. "Paleface" makes sense but doesn't show up
there until the 1990s. "Kemo Sabe" turns up once, in 1986, but being an
admiring term, misses the racial point.

--
Best -- Donna Richoux

Bob Cunningham

Nov 22, 2007, 4:14:53 PM11/22/07

The way I heard it was "Where do you get this 'we' shit? Are
you pregnant?"

I think I may have mentioned this before in this newsgroup.

aruzinsky

Nov 22, 2007, 6:55:26 PM11/22/07

Well, that explains why the saying is popular, but, now, I am
disturbed that this Oscar Brown Jr. failed to give credit to where he
got the idea. I have a relatively good picture memory therefore I am
fairly certain that I saw the idea in a cartoon parody. I am not
going to quibble about "Kemo Sabe," "white man" or "paleface" because
my memory is much more faulty on verbal details.

I am uncertain about the time, but, it seems much more likely that the
cartoon was published while the Lone Ranger TV show was originally
broadcast 1949 to 1957. The MAD story, Lone Stranger Rides Again, had
a similar (but less clever) ending. It was first published in MAD
comics, Dec. 1953 - Jan. 1954, vol. 1, No. 8. Cartoons from MAD
comics were later published in pocket book form after Mad comic book
became MAD Magzine in 1955. This is around the same time that MAD
Magazine imitators sprang into existence. Thus, it seems likely to me
that one of the MAD imitators copied and improved MAD's story and that
is the story I remember while confusing it with MAD's story.

What is "filted?"

James Silverton

Nov 22, 2007, 7:02:24 PM11/22/07
aruzinsky wrote on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:55:26 -0800 (PST):

a> On Nov 22, 2:17 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
??>> aruzinsky filted:
??>>
??>>> I believe that I first saw that saying in a cartoon
??>>> parody of the Lone Ranger appearing in an imitator of Mad
??>>> Magazine in the 1950s.
??>>> Originally, I thought it was Mad because they did indeed
??>>> have a cartoon parody of the Lone Ranger, but, after
??>>> recently looking at a reprint, apparently not. So, my
??>>> memory was playing tricks and I now suspect it must have
??>>> been an imitator such as Cracked or Sick. The story ends
??>>> with the Lone Ranger and Tonto being surrounded by
??>>> hostile Indians. Lone Ranger says something like, "It
??>>> looks like we are going to die." and Tonto replies, 'What
??>>> you mean, "we," Kemo Sabe?'

I wonder if anyone else remembers a cartoon from about 20 years
ago showing an elderly Lone Ranger, leafing through a
"Dictionary of the Apache Language" and reading "Kemo Sabe: old
phrase for horse's ass".

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Donna Richoux

Nov 22, 2007, 7:17:08 PM11/22/07
aruzinsky <aruz...@general-cathexis.com> wrote:

> I am uncertain about the time, but, it seems much more likely that the
> cartoon was published while the Lone Ranger TV show was originally
> broadcast 1949 to 1957. The MAD story, Lone Stranger Rides Again, had
> a similar (but less clever) ending. It was first published in MAD
> comics, Dec. 1953 - Jan. 1954, vol. 1, No. 8. Cartoons from MAD
> comics were later published in pocket book form after Mad comic book
> became MAD Magzine in 1955. This is around the same time that MAD
> Magazine imitators sprang into existence. Thus, it seems likely to me
> that one of the MAD imitators copied and improved MAD's story and that
> is the story I remember while confusing it with MAD's story.

If you Google on

"mad magazine" +tonto "mean we"

you'll turn up at least two results saying that it appeared in Mad
magazine, with some details provided.

aruzinsky

Nov 22, 2007, 8:10:44 PM11/22/07
On Nov 22, 6:17 pm, t...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote:

Thanks, but unless they identify the specific issue so it is
verifiable, I won't believe them. The MAD cartoon that I cited is
definitely not the one. See for yourself; here are the last five
panes of that cartoon, http://www.general-cathexis.com/LoneStranger.jpg
. Even so, Pronto betrays the Lone Stranger.

Unknown

Nov 22, 2007, 8:15:02 PM11/22/07
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:48:13 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux)
wrote:

Hi Donna.

I have a distinct recollection of a particular person telling me that
joke, the "paleface" version, and it would have to have been in
Macomb, Illinois in 1963-64 because that's the last time I saw her. I
also remember that I'd already heard it, but can't say how long
before.

Can't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago, though,

Steve Hayes

Nov 22, 2007, 10:27:57 PM11/22/07
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:48:13 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote:

>Searching on "we white man" at Google Books shows the joke turning up in
>1970 and repeated thereafter. That fits in with my recollection of the
>social attitudes of that era. "Paleface" makes sense but doesn't show up
>there until the 1990s. "Kemo Sabe" turns up once, in 1986, but being an
>admiring term, misses the racial point.

That fits with my recollection of the 1970s.

White people in South Africa often used "we" to mean "we whites", and the joke
was sometimes alluded to in the response "What do you mean 'we', white man."

Now the boot is on the other foot. Callers to radio talk shows often talk of
"our people", meaning black people.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

Oleg Lego

Nov 23, 2007, 12:00:56 AM11/23/07
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:55:26 -0800 (PST), aruzinsky posted:

>Well, that explains why the saying is popular, but, now, I am
>disturbed that this Oscar Brown Jr. failed to give credit to where he
>got the idea. I have a relatively good picture memory therefore I am
>fairly certain that I saw the idea in a cartoon parody. I am not
>going to quibble about "Kemo Sabe," "white man" or "paleface" because
>my memory is much more faulty on verbal details.

Turns out your memory is pretty good, considering.

>I am uncertain about the time, but, it seems much more likely that the
>cartoon was published while the Lone Ranger TV show was originally
>broadcast 1949 to 1957. The MAD story, Lone Stranger Rides Again, had
>a similar (but less clever) ending. It was first published in MAD
>comics, Dec. 1953 - Jan. 1954, vol. 1, No. 8. Cartoons from MAD
>comics were later published in pocket book form after Mad comic book
>became MAD Magzine in 1955. This is around the same time that MAD
>Magazine imitators sprang into existence. Thus, it seems likely to me
>that one of the MAD imitators copied and improved MAD's story and that
>is the story I remember while confusing it with MAD's story.

Issue 38, March 1958, Page 42. _TV Scenes We'd Like to See_

It was a two panel cartoon strip, drawn by Joe Orlando.

1st panel. LR is saying "Indians! Indians all around us! Well Tonto,
ol' kimosavee, it looks like we're finished!

2nd Panel. Tonto says "What you mean... WE?"

If you've been looking for it on the _Totally MAD_ CD set, a search on
"Tonto" finds it. "Stranger" did not, because the two panel strip is
entitled "The Lone Ranger".

Unknown

Nov 23, 2007, 12:03:04 AM11/23/07
wrote:

>Searching on "we white man" at Google Books shows the joke turning up in
>1970 and repeated thereafter. That fits in with my recollection of the
>social attitudes of that era. "Paleface" makes sense but doesn't show up
>there until the 1990s. "Kemo Sabe" turns up once, in 1986, but being an
>admiring term, misses the racial point.

The poet Oscar Brown Jr wrote and recorded a song around the
"Paleface" version in 1974. Lyrics are here

http://www.top40db.net/Find/Songs.asp?By=Title&ID=19104&Match=The+Lone+Ranger

Unknown

Nov 23, 2007, 12:14:04 AM11/23/07
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:27:57 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:48:13 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote:
>
>>Searching on "we white man" at Google Books shows the joke turning up in
>>1970 and repeated thereafter. That fits in with my recollection of the
>>social attitudes of that era. "Paleface" makes sense but doesn't show up
>>there until the 1990s. "Kemo Sabe" turns up once, in 1986, but being an
>>admiring term, misses the racial point.
>
>That fits with my recollection of the 1970s.
>
>White people in South Africa often used "we" to mean "we whites", and the joke
>was sometimes alluded to in the response "What do you mean 'we', white man."
>
>Now the boot is on the other foot. Callers to radio talk shows often talk of
>"our people", meaning black people.

Same in Australia. Aboriginals are allowed to say it. When said by
people of northern European descent, it's racism.

To me, it's a scam no matter who says it.

John Holmes

Nov 23, 2007, 7:14:06 AM11/23/07
aruzinsky wrote:

> Well, that explains why the saying is popular, but, now, I am
> disturbed that this Oscar Brown Jr. failed to give credit to where he
> got the idea.

It circulated orally as a joke for many years. I recall hearing it in
the 60s, and Brown might have heard it similarly without being aware
that it came from a magazine.

--
Regards
John

aruzinsky

Nov 23, 2007, 3:05:24 PM11/23/07
On Nov 22, 11:00 pm, Oleg Lego <r...@atatatat.com> wrote:

> Issue 38, March 1958, Page 42. _TV Scenes We'd Like to See_
>
> It was a two panel cartoon strip, drawn by Joe Orlando.
>
> 1st panel. LR is saying "Indians! Indians all around us! Well Tonto,
> ol' kimosavee, it looks like we're finished!
>
> 2nd Panel. Tonto says "What you mean... WE?"

That really rings a bell!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Oleg Lego

Nov 24, 2007, 2:32:21 AM11/24/07
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:05:24 -0800 (PST), aruzinsky posted:

You're welcome. Do you have the Totally MAD CDRom set?

R H Draney

Nov 24, 2007, 3:00:39 AM11/24/07
Oleg Lego filted:

>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:05:24 -0800 (PST), aruzinsky posted:
>
>>On Nov 22, 11:00 pm, Oleg Lego <r...@atatatat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Issue 38, March 1958, Page 42. _TV Scenes We'd Like to See_
>>>
>>Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
>
>You're welcome. Do you have the Totally MAD CDRom set?

I have...are you asking for someone to put a screen image of the cartoon on the
web and post a link to it here?...r

aruzinsky

Nov 24, 2007, 10:51:50 AM11/24/07

No. I have reprints of all the MAD comic books and a few old issues
of MAD magazine. An image of the cartoon would be appreciated.

Oleg Lego

Nov 24, 2007, 3:59:13 PM11/24/07
On 24 Nov 2007 00:00:39 -0800, R H Draney posted:

>Oleg Lego filted:

>>>Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
>>
>>You're welcome. Do you have the Totally MAD CDRom set?
>
>I have...are you asking for someone to put a screen image of the cartoon on the
>web and post a link to it here?...r

No, but I see aruzinsky has asked for one. I have it, but the best I
could do for now would be to post it in a binary group.

Donna Richoux

Nov 25, 2007, 6:04:22 AM11/25/07
R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

[Re Tonto joke]

> Oleg Lego filted:

> >>Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
> >
> >You're welcome. Do you have the Totally MAD CDRom set?
>
> I have...are you asking for someone to put a screen image of the cartoon
> on the web and post a link to it here?...r

I'd like to see it. I have a dim recollection of having seen it already
(not likely in 1958, but perhaps reprinted) and I'd like to see if it
looks familiar. Surely it passes the Fair Use education & discussion
copyright test.

I've thought off and on it is our duty to collect and publish a sort of
gallery of cartoons, ads, etc, that have influenced language --
documenting the origins of particular words and catchphrases. Mike B.
has said he's willing to put such stuff on the website.

Father Ignatius

Nov 25, 2007, 6:34:24 AM11/25/07
Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:

> I've thought off and on it is our duty to collect and
> publish a sort of gallery of cartoons, ads, etc, that
> have influenced language -- documenting the origins of
> particular words and catchphrases. Mike B. has said he's
> willing to put such stuff on the website.

http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/Curates_egg.gif

http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/M/1937.07.21.62.1.jpg
(OnCrossThread: Note "1" for "I")

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/images/essex/iffpoem.jpg

http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/22230_m.gif

--
Nat

-----

"We have reason to believe that man first walked upright to
free his hands for masturbation."

---Lily Tomlin

Nick Spalding

Nov 25, 2007, 6:35:12 AM11/25/07
Oleg Lego wrote, in <034hk3l8dvffl8op6...@4ax.com>
on Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:59:13 -0600:

How about <www.tinypic.com>?
--
Nick Spalding

Donna Richoux

Nov 25, 2007, 9:07:05 AM11/25/07
Father Ignatius <FatherI...@ANTISPAMananzi.co.za> wrote:

> Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:
>
> > I've thought off and on it is our duty to collect and
> > publish a sort of gallery of cartoons, ads, etc, that
> > have influenced language -- documenting the origins of
> > particular words and catchphrases. Mike B. has said he's
> > willing to put such stuff on the website.
>
> http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/Curates_egg.gif

That's the idea, yes. Glad to see you're leaping in; perhaps this is a
start. However, the caption/dialog is missing from that one. And did it
come with name and date of original publication? Punch, I imagine.

> http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/M/1937.07.21.62.1.jpg
> (OnCrossThread: Note "1" for "I")

Not familiar to me.

> http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/images/essex/iffpoem.jpg

Is it the joke at the end? Does Kidderminster have any special
significance?

> http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/22230_m.gif

That one I know. Again, I'd say the date is needed for historical
purposes.

I know I could track down three or four more such cartoons if I were to
look through my old files. How to distinguish between mere fond
remembrance and actual lasting significance might be tricky.

Peter Duncanson

Nov 25, 2007, 10:19:01 AM11/25/07
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:07:05 +0100, tr...@euronet.nl (Donna
Richoux) wrote:

>Father Ignatius <FatherI...@ANTISPAMananzi.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:
>>
>> > I've thought off and on it is our duty to collect and
>> > publish a sort of gallery of cartoons, ads, etc, that
>> > have influenced language -- documenting the origins of
>> > particular words and catchphrases. Mike B. has said he's
>> > willing to put such stuff on the website.
>>
>> http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/Curates_egg.gif
>
>That's the idea, yes. Glad to see you're leaping in; perhaps this is a
>start. However, the caption/dialog is missing from that one. And did it
>come with name and date of original publication? Punch, I imagine.
>>
>> http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/M/1937.07.21.62.1.jpg
>> (OnCrossThread: Note "1" for "I")
>
>Not familiar to me.
>>
>> http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/images/essex/iffpoem.jpg
>
>Is it the joke at the end? Does Kidderminster have any special
>significance?

I don't know of any special significance today.

The image is of the poem as first published in 1915 in the
magazine Punch. The question "Will the war bring us to
Kidderminster?" sounds like a reference to something doing the
rounds at the time, perhaps a running joke in or outside Punch.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

John O'Flaherty

Nov 25, 2007, 11:24:30 AM11/25/07
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:34:24 +0200, "Father Ignatius"
<FatherI...@ANTISPAMananzi.co.za> wrote:

>Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:
>
>> I've thought off and on it is our duty to collect and
>> publish a sort of gallery of cartoons, ads, etc, that
>> have influenced language -- documenting the origins of
>> particular words and catchphrases. Mike B. has said he's
>> willing to put such stuff on the website.
>
>http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/Curates_egg.gif
>
>http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/M/1937.07.21.62.1.jpg
>(OnCrossThread: Note "1" for "I")

I think that's uneven printing or scanning.

>http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/images/essex/iffpoem.jpg
>
>http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/22230_m.gif

--
John

Father Ignatius

Nov 25, 2007, 12:04:39 PM11/25/07
Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:

> Father Ignatius <FatherI...@ANTISPAMananzi.co.za>
> wrote:
>
>> Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:
>>
>>> I've thought off and on it is our duty to collect and
>>> publish a sort of gallery of cartoons, ads, etc, that
>>> have influenced language -- documenting the origins of
>>> particular words and catchphrases. Mike B. has said he's
>>> willing to put such stuff on the website.
>>
>> http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/Curates_egg.gif
>
> That's the idea, yes. Glad to see you're leaping in;
> perhaps this is a start. However, the caption/dialog is
> missing from that one. And did it come with name and date
> of original publication? Punch, I imagine.

Yes, Punch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curate%27s_egg gives: "The
bishop says "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones". The
curate replies, "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of
it are excellent!"

While we are here, there are also the Punch cartoons "'Eave
'arf a brick at 'im" and "Bang went saxpence" the captions
of which have entered the language.

>> http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/M/1937.07.21.62.1.jpg
>> (OnCrossThread: Note "1" for "I")
>
> Not familiar to me.

This cartoon has been repeatedly voted [ObWikipedia/citation
needed/] Britain's all-time favourite (Onw onders what
America's is - "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog",
perhaps?), and the caption has entered (was always in?) the
language to the point where it was included amongst the
proposed mottoes for Britain recently discussed here and
elsewhere.

>> http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/images/essex/iffpoem.jpg
>
> Is it the joke at the end? Does Kidderminster have any
> special significance?

No, the Kidderminster bit is irrelevant. The poem above was
the response to your post; it is the source of "Poppy Day"
(a/k/a Veterans' Day?) entering the language, and of using
the phrase "Flanders Fields" to mean the battles of WWI ("He
fell on Flanders Fields").

>> http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/22230_m.gif
>
> That one I know. Again, I'd say the date is needed for
> historical purposes.

Published in /The New Yorker/ July 5, 1993. Artist: Peter
Steiner.

--
Nat

-----

"The meek may inherit the earth but it's the grumpy who gets
promoted!"

---Father Mulcahy, /M*A*S*H/

R H Draney

Nov 25, 2007, 12:17:36 PM11/25/07
Donna Richoux filted:

Fair enough...I put the "Lone Ranger" gag at
http://members.cox.net/radishman/mad_what_you_mean_we.jpg

If someone would rather see the whole page, or the entire two pages of the "TV
Scenes We'd Like to See" article, to put this gag in context, I could do that as
well...it's probably the cleverest of the lot; having Ed Sullivan admit that
tonight's show isn't very good and you should probably switch over to Steve
Allen is a little feeble by comparison....r

Mike Lyle

Nov 25, 2007, 2:30:50 PM11/25/07
Father Ignatius wrote:
> Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> het geskryf:
[...]http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/flanders/images/essex/iffpoem.jpg

>> Is it the joke at the end? Does Kidderminster have any
>> special significance?

Heh! We're fighting them over here so you don't have to fight them over
there. And it'll all be over by Christmas. The first casualty is truth.
All remaining entrants in this cliché audition are requested to form an
orderly queue: thank you for your cooperation.

> No, the Kidderminster bit is irrelevant. The poem above was
> the response to your post; it is the source of "Poppy Day"
> (a/k/a Veterans' Day?) entering the language, and of using
> the phrase "Flanders Fields" to mean the battles of WWI ("He
> fell on Flanders Fields").

[...]

And it mentions that striking thing about the skylarks singing above the
guns: I'm racking my brains to remember whether I was told about that by
a veteran, or read it, or both.

--
Mike.

James Silverton

Nov 25, 2007, 2:57:08 PM11/25/07
James wrote to aruzinsky on Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:02:24 GMT:

a>> On Nov 22, 2:17 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net>
wrote:
??>>> aruzinsky filted:
??>>>
??>>>> I believe that I first saw that saying in a cartoon
??>>>> parody of the Lone Ranger appearing in an imitator of

??>>>> Mad Magazine in the 1950s. Originally, I thought it was
??>>>> Mad because they did indeed have a cartoon parody of the
??>>>> Lone Ranger, but, after recently looking at a reprint,
??>>>> apparently not. So, my memory was playing tricks and I
??>>>> now suspect it must have been an imitator such as
??>>>> Cracked or Sick. The story ends with the Lone Ranger
??>>>> and Tonto being surrounded by hostile Indians. Lone
??>>>> Ranger says something like, "It looks like we are going
??>>>> to die." and Tonto replies, 'What you mean, "we," Kemo
??>>>> Sabe?'

JS> I wonder if anyone else remembers a cartoon from about 20
JS> years ago showing an elderly Lone Ranger, leafing through a
JS> "Dictionary of the Apache Language" and reading "Kemo Sabe:
old
JS> phrase for horse's ass".

A Google search appears to indicate the "Kemo Sabe"-"Horse's
Ass" cartoon was by Gary Larson in his Far Side series but I
cannot find an image. Has anyone come across it?

Donna Richoux

Nov 26, 2007, 8:18:20 AM11/26/07
Father Ignatius <FatherI...@ANTISPAMananzi.co.za> wrote:

> Yes, Punch.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curate%27s_egg gives: "The
> bishop says "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones". The
> curate replies, "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of
> it are excellent!"

I see that Wikipedia has a perfectly adequate article that provides the
"curate's egg" cartoon and discusses the meaning. It's shown at Phrase
Finder, too. As long as these people are adding graphics, I don't feel
it necessary for us to duplicate their work.

Nick Atty

Nov 26, 2007, 2:50:45 PM11/26/07

Yes. I even remembered it as Far Side before reading your response.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though likely to die soon

R H Draney

Nov 26, 2007, 4:03:21 PM11/26/07
Nick Atty filted:

>On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:57:08 GMT, "James Silverton"
><not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote:
>
>> JS> I wonder if anyone else remembers a cartoon from about 20
>> JS> years ago showing an elderly Lone Ranger, leafing through a
>> JS> "Dictionary of the Apache Language" and reading "Kemo Sabe:
>>old
>> JS> phrase for horse's ass".
>>
>>A Google search appears to indicate the "Kemo Sabe"-"Horse's
>>Ass" cartoon was by Gary Larson in his Far Side series but I
>>cannot find an image. Has anyone come across it?
>
>Yes. I even remembered it as Far Side before reading your response.

Then again, as far back as 1960, Larry Verne may have alluded to this
translation of the phrase in his #1 hit "Mr Custer"...assuming the role of a
cowardly Cavalry soldier at the Little Big Horn, Verne attempts to placate his
attackers:

"I wonder what the Injun word for friend is.
Let's see -- friend...kemo sabe, that's it!
KEMO SABE!, HEY OUT THERE, KEMO SABE!"
<sound of arrow whizzing by>
"Nope, that itn't it..."

While the record doesn't explain what the Indians thought this soldier meant by
"kemo sabe", it would not have been possible to get a record played in those
days that contained the phrase "horse's ass"....r

dongr...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2019, 11:55:56 PM6/20/19
Actually, it was in Mad Magazine in the late1950’s. I was 11 or 12 years old then (born 1947)& loved Mad. Never a subscriber, but bought it regularly at my neighborhood pharmacy...a “drugstore”then. I was also a devoted Lone Ranger fan in the Clayton Moore days, so the Lone Ranger segment in “Scenes We’d Like To See” made a great impression on me. I kept that issue for many years, but it finally vanished in the various moves of the last 60 years. I still remember most of the cartoon frames. Tonto had this knowing smirk in the last frame.

Another “Scenes” I recall was the intro to the Loretta Young show when she would coming whirling out of a door to open the evening’s show. It was a door which she had to open & then shut as she came out. In “Scenes,” she caught her dress in the door when she closed it, ripping it off and leaving her standing there in her underwear. I used to watch the intro to her show very closely, hoping it would happen for real.😂

Spains Harden

Jun 21, 2019, 10:47:56 AM6/21/19
On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 4:55:56 AM UTC+1, dongr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Actually, it was in Mad Magazine in the late1950’s. I was 11 or 12 years old then (born 1947)& loved Mad. Never a subscriber, but bought it regularly at my neighborhood pharmacy...a “drugstore”then. I was also a devoted Lone Ranger fan in the Clayton Moore days, so the Lone Ranger segment in “Scenes We’d Like To See” made a great impression on me. I kept that issue for many years, but it finally vanished in the various moves of the last 60 years. I still remember most of the cartoon frames. Tonto had this knowing smirk in the last frame.
>
> Another “Scenes” I recall was the intro to the Loretta Young show when she would coming whirling out of a door to open the evening’s show. It was a door which she had to open & then shut as she came out. In “Scenes,” she caught her dress in the door when she closed it, ripping it off and leaving her standing there in her underwear. I used to watch the intro to her show very closely, hoping it would happen for real.😂

Twelve years that thread lay dormant :)