Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

"Trumptious"

46 просмотров

occam

не прочитано,
10 мар. 2023 г., 02:30:5110.03.2023

Mr. Trump has spawned quite a few derogatory adjectives (and adverbs)
associated with his name. The latest example, heard today on BBC Radio,
was 'trumptious', uttered by no less than a UK Member of Parliament.

In a Radio 4 broadcast of (UK) House of Commons discussions, a
parliamentarian referred to the slogan "Stop the boats"(1) as a
"trumptious tag line". Other past slogans mentioned were "Take back
control" (UK), "Build the Wall" (US) and "Oven ready deal" (UK).

"Trumptious" is but one such example. Another one that comes to mind is
"Bushism".

Are there any positive examples of such terms? "Obamacare" is the
closest I can come up with.

(1) "Stop the boats" is the current government rally-cry to stop illegal
immigrants entering the UK.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

не прочитано,
10 мар. 2023 г., 03:23:2010.03.2023
On 2023-03-10 07:30:46 +0000, occam said:

> Mr. Trump has spawned quite a few derogatory adjectives (and adverbs)
> associated with his name. The latest example, heard today on BBC Radio,
> was 'trumptious', uttered by no less than a UK Member of Parliament.
>
> In a Radio 4 broadcast of (UK) House of Commons discussions, a
> parliamentarian referred to the slogan "Stop the boats"(1) as a
> "trumptious tag line". Other past slogans mentioned were "Take back
> control" (UK), "Build the Wall" (US) and "Oven ready deal" (UK).
>
> "Trumptious" is but one such example. Another one that comes to mind is
> "Bushism".
>
> Are there any positive examples of such terms? "Obamacare" is the
> closest I can come up with.

Churchillian

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Peter T. Daniels

не прочитано,
10 мар. 2023 г., 07:50:3610.03.2023
On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 2:30:51 AM UTC-5, occam wrote:

> Mr. Trump has spawned quite a few derogatory adjectives (and adverbs)
> associated with his name. The latest example, heard today on BBC Radio,
> was 'trumptious', uttered by no less than a UK Member of Parliament.

... as if being an MP somehow awarded one special "authority"
in coining words ...

> In a Radio 4 broadcast of (UK) House of Commons discussions, a
> parliamentarian referred to the slogan "Stop the boats"(1) as a
> "trumptious tag line". Other past slogans mentioned were "Take back
> control" (UK), "Build the Wall" (US) and "Oven ready deal" (UK).
>
> "Trumptious" is but one such example. Another one that comes to mind is
> "Bushism".
>
> Are there any positive examples of such terms? "Obamacare" is the
> closest I can come up with.

(Not an adjective. "Hillarycare" was used disparagingly of the very '
complicated scheme proposed during the Clinton years.)

Kennedyesque

(some think "Reaganesque" is a compliment)

Skill in wheeling-and-dealing could be, and probably has been,
called Johnsonian, for the way LBJ got the Civil Rights bills through
Congress in 1964-67.

> (1) "Stop the boats" is the current government rally-cry to stop illegal
> immigrants entering the UK.

Or even to stop them from entering.

lar3ryca

не прочитано,
10 мар. 2023 г., 08:28:5410.03.2023
On 2023-03-10 01:30, occam wrote:

> Mr. Trump has spawned quite a few derogatory adjectives (and adverbs)
> associated with his name. The latest example, heard today on BBC Radio,
> was 'trumptious', uttered by no less than a UK Member of Parliament.
>
> In a Radio 4 broadcast of (UK) House of Commons discussions, a
> parliamentarian referred to the slogan "Stop the boats"(1) as a
> "trumptious tag line". Other past slogans mentioned were "Take back
> control" (UK), "Build the Wall" (US) and "Oven ready deal" (UK).
>
> "Trumptious" is but one such example. Another one that comes to mind is
> "Bushism".
>
> Are there any positive examples of such terms? "Obamacare" is the
> closest I can come up with.

Depends entirely on who is doing the judging.
I would think that "Obamacare" would be judged negative by those that
consider "build the wall" to be positive, and vice versa.

--
John bought the cups that Daniel had been looking for for him.

occam

не прочитано,
10 мар. 2023 г., 09:26:4310.03.2023
On 10/03/2023 09:23, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2023-03-10 07:30:46 +0000, occam said:
>
>> Mr. Trump has spawned quite a few derogatory adjectives (and adverbs)
>> associated with his name. The latest example, heard today on BBC Radio,
>> was 'trumptious', uttered by no less than a UK Member of Parliament.
>>
>> In a Radio 4 broadcast of (UK) House of Commons discussions, a
>> parliamentarian referred to the slogan "Stop the boats"(1)  as a
>> "trumptious tag line". Other past slogans mentioned were "Take back
>> control" (UK), "Build the Wall" (US) and "Oven ready deal" (UK).
>>
>> "Trumptious" is but one such example. Another one that comes to mind is
>> "Bushism".
>>
>> Are there any positive examples of such terms? "Obamacare" is the
>> closest I can come up with.
>>
> Churchillian

Good example. The counter example is 'Thatcherite' or 'Thatcherism'.
That woman knew how to make enemies.

Peter Moylan

не прочитано,
11 мар. 2023 г., 00:24:5711.03.2023
On 10/03/23 18:30, occam wrote:

> (1) "Stop the boats" is the current government rally-cry to stop
> illegal immigrants entering the UK.

It's also the slogan that kept the Australian Murdoch Party in
government for nine years.

Phil Carmody

не прочитано,
19 мар. 2023 г., 08:37:3619.03.2023
occam <oc...@nowhere.nix> writes:
> Mr. Trump has spawned quite a few derogatory adjectives (and adverbs)
> associated with his name. The latest example, heard today on BBC Radio,
> was 'trumptious', uttered by no less than a UK Member of Parliament.

For context, it's hard to get less than a UK MP.

> In a Radio 4 broadcast of (UK) House of Commons discussions, a
> parliamentarian referred to the slogan "Stop the boats"(1) as a
> "trumptious tag line". Other past slogans mentioned were "Take back
> control" (UK), "Build the Wall" (US) and "Oven ready deal" (UK).

Three Word Slogans have definitely Become A Thing. Presumably because of
the Limited Attention Span, and Short Term Memory of the intended
audience.

However, "Trumptious" sounds forced, downright contrived, I see no
reason for it to catch on. And why would it not be "Trumpian"?

> "Trumptious" is but one such example. Another one that comes to mind is
> "Bushism".

Ronnie was spouting incoherent nonsense well before Bush, I don't think
Dubya deserves much credit in that direction. "Princess David".

> Are there any positive examples of such terms? "Obamacare" is the
> closest I can come up with.

However, that is based on a perversion of modern US history.
"Without Romneycare, I don’t think we would have Obamacare."
The source of that quote? One Mitt Romney.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast