What was the "govende" meme all about?

markowe

Nov 23, 2021, 5:35:10 AM11/23/21
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I can find online is this page:

http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html

which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for which the Google snippet merely says:

"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup participant Daniel McGrath"

I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?

J. J. Lodder

Nov 23, 2021, 5:51:56 AM11/23/21
markowe <mzda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was still
> a Usenet group.

It still is. It is just that gurglers no longer know it.

> And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the life
> of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I can find
> online is this page:
>
> http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
>
> which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for which
> the Google snippet merely says:
>
> "Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
> alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
> participant Daniel McGrath"
>
> I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
> discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?

No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?

Jan

markowe

Nov 23, 2021, 5:54:09 AM11/23/21
On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 11:51:56 UTC+1, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was still
> > a Usenet group.
> It still is. It is just that gurglers no longer know it.

Correction: when it was still ONLY a Usenet group.

> > I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
> > discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
> No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?
>
> Jan

I see, that's the way it is, is it?

Peter Moylan

Nov 23, 2021, 6:40:44 AM11/23/21
On 23/11/21 21:35, markowe wrote:

> Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
> still a Usenet group.

It always was, and still is. If Google chooses to carry an echo of it,
that doesn't change the nature of the group. Some of us feel rather
strongly that it's unethical of Google to imply that it hosts the group.
Some have gone further and killfile any articles that come from Google
Gropus users.

> And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the
> life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I
> can find online is this page:
>
> http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
>
> which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for
> which the Google snippet merely says:
>
> "Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
> alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
> participant Daniel McGrath"
>
> I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
> discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?

Daniel wasn't a troll, although initially we thought he was. His autism
explained his quirks. One of those was an obsession with the word
"govende", which he insisted should be pronounced goo-vain. Why he was
obsessed with that word was never revealed.

You're probably familiar with the sort of cascade that goes:
What's an A?
It's a B. What's a C.
For a while we called those threads govendes, in honour of Daniel's word.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 23, 2021, 7:45:09 AM11/23/21
On 2021-11-23 11:40:36 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 23/11/21 21:35, markowe wrote:
>
>> Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
>> still a Usenet group.
>
> It always was, and still is. If Google chooses to carry an echo of it,
> that doesn't change the nature of the group. Some of us feel rather
> strongly that it's unethical of Google to imply that it hosts the group.
> Some have gone further and killfile any articles that come from Google
> Gropus users.
>
>> And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the
>> life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I
>> can find online is this page:
>>
>> http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
>>
>> which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for
>> which the Google snippet merely says:
>>
>> "Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
>> alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
>> participant Daniel McGrath"
>>
>> I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
>> discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
>
> Daniel wasn't a troll, although initially we thought he was. His autism
> explained his quirks. One of those was an obsession with the word
> "govende", which he insisted should be pronounced goo-vain.

At the time, we were unfamiliar with covfefe, which is just a different
spelling of the same word.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

CDB

Nov 23, 2021, 9:29:21 AM11/23/21
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?

Tony Cooper

Nov 23, 2021, 9:32:53 AM11/23/21
A company that makes a ment.

What's profitable?

--

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida

occam

Nov 23, 2021, 10:41:44 AM11/23/21
Someone who is in favour of fitables.
What's a for profiterole?

CDB

Nov 23, 2021, 10:55:12 AM11/23/21
On 11/23/2021 10:41 AM, occam wrote:
> Tony Cooper wrote:
>> CDB <belle...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?

>> A company that makes a ment.

>> What's profitable?

> Someone who is in favour of fitables. What's a for profiterole?

A wad of bills in your back pocket. What's a pool hustler?

Mack A. Damia

Nov 23, 2021, 11:57:04 AM11/23/21
Fast Eddie. Who's in the box tonight?

Peter Moylan

Nov 23, 2021, 6:20:14 PM11/23/21
On 23/11/21 23:45, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2021-11-23 11:40:36 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

>> Daniel wasn't a troll, although initially we thought he was. His
>> autism explained his quirks. One of those was an obsession with the
>> word "govende", which he insisted should be pronounced goo-vain.
>
> At the time, we were unfamiliar with covfefe, which is just a
> different spelling of the same word.

Thanks for pointing that out. Until now I hadn't known how to pronounce
covfefe.

Snidely

Nov 24, 2021, 12:28:30 AM11/24/21
on 11/23/2021, Mack A. Damia supposed :
Cracker Jack's. Who needs a lift?

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.

Quinn C

Nov 24, 2021, 9:00:15 AM11/24/21
* Snidely:
Billy the Kid. Who gets your goat?

--
The seeds of new thought, sown in a ground that isn't prepared
to receive them, don't bear fruit.

CDB

Nov 24, 2021, 12:06:52 PM11/24/21
On 11/24/2021 9:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
> * Snidely:
>> Mack A. Damia supposed :
He done scaped. Who is the greatest?

--
maybe of all time, maybe not

lar3ryca

Nov 24, 2021, 12:25:28 PM11/24/21
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-6, CDB wrote:
> On 11/24/2021 9:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
> > * Snidely:
> >> Mack A. Damia supposed :
More like "What is the greatest?"
The method used to determine if the grea is working properly.

What's a testicle?

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 24, 2021, 1:22:37 PM11/24/21
Ollie, ollie, oxen free. Who's on the team?

Snidely

Nov 24, 2021, 7:52:11 PM11/24/21
lar3ryca used thar keyboard to writen:
Taking your finals on a glacier. What's this about a glacée?

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Snidely

Nov 24, 2021, 7:53:17 PM11/24/21
Lo, on the 11/24/2021, Peter T. Daniels did proclaim ...
Ollie's long gone, but Brady hangs in there. What's a buccaneer?

/dps

--
I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.

Peter Moylan

Nov 24, 2021, 8:46:31 PM11/24/21
The thing on the side of your buccanhead. What's a headwind?

Quinn C

Nov 24, 2021, 10:50:33 PM11/24/21
* Snidely:
Makes the finest gloves. What's chamois?

--
- You all packed?
- Vagabond shoes and all. And pepper spray. For if we run into

Tony Cooper

Nov 24, 2021, 11:06:09 PM11/24/21
French for Private Detective.

What's a prank?

CDB

Nov 25, 2021, 8:48:03 AM11/25/21
On 11/24/2021 11:06 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> Quinn C <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
>> * Snidely:
>>> lar3ryca used thar keyboard to writen:
Bilabial hotdog. What's a foodle?

Steve Hayes

Nov 26, 2021, 1:35:20 AM11/26/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 02:35:07 -0800, markowe wrote:

> Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
> still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
> but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
> The only thing I can find online is this page:
>
> http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html

It still exists on Facebook.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

bil...@shaw.ca

Nov 26, 2021, 2:42:44 AM11/26/21
On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 10:35:20 PM UTC-8, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 02:35:07 -0800, markowe wrote:
>
> > Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
> > still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
> > but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
> > The only thing I can find online is this page:
> >
> > http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
> It still exists on Facebook.

I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still play.
(What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for puns,
etc.

What's afoot?

markowe

Nov 26, 2021, 4:56:44 AM11/26/21

> I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
> invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still play.
> (What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for puns,
> etc.
>
> What's afoot?

It's when you haven't got a leg to stand on.

OK, I remember now! Although the part about the word "govende" being an obsession of Daniel McGrath's, possibly related to him being on the spectrum, escaped me at the time, I just thought it was funny to debate the meaning and pronunciation of a word that meant nothing, I saw nothing autistic in that.

So what's disseminate?

Peter Moylan

Nov 26, 2021, 5:23:16 AM11/26/21
Much the same as datseminate, I imagine.

Extra detail for those who don't know the history. Initially we thought
that Daniel was some sort of troll. At some point his mother posted a
message to AUE, explaining that he was autistic, that the newsgroup was
important to him, and could we please not be too rough on him. After
that he became almost a sort of mascot for the group.

His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.

If we step back far enough, we can see that we all get disturbed by
little things like that. The difference is that for most people the
level of disturbance is so small as to be hardly noticeable. For anyone
stuck on an obsession, the level can be magnified to a "seriously
troubled" point.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 26, 2021, 6:11:21 AM11/26/21
On 2021-11-26 10:23:12 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 26/11/21 20:56, markowe wrote:
>>
>>> I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or
>>> for the invention of the game, possibly called govende by some,
>>> which we still play. (What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy?
>>> opening more space for puns, etc.
>>>
>>> What's afoot?
>>
>> It's when you haven't got a leg to stand on.
>>
>> OK, I remember now! Although the part about the word "govende" being
>> an obsession of Daniel McGrath's, possibly related to him being on
>> the spectrum, escaped me at the time, I just thought it was funny to
>> debate the meaning and pronunciation of a word that meant nothing, I
>> saw nothing autistic in that.
>>
>> So what's disseminate?
>
> Much the same as datseminate, I imagine.
>
> Extra detail for those who don't know the history. Initially we thought
> that Daniel was some sort of troll. At some point his mother posted a
> message to AUE, explaining that he was autistic, that the newsgroup was
> important to him, and could we please not be too rough on him. After
> that he became almost a sort of mascot for the group.
>
> His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
> just one example.

Another that came up often was his dislike of the word "rare".

markowe

Nov 26, 2021, 7:09:10 AM11/26/21
On Friday, 26 November 2021 at 12:11:21 UTC+1, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> > Extra detail for those who don't know the history. Initially we thought
> > that Daniel was some sort of troll. At some point his mother posted a
> > message to AUE, explaining that he was autistic, that the newsgroup was
> > important to him, and could we please not be too rough on him. After
> > that he became almost a sort of mascot for the group.
> >
> > His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
> > just one example.
> Another that came up often was his dislike of the word "rare".
> > He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
> > Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
> > from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
> > institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
> > bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
> > letter.
> >
> > If we step back far enough, we can see that we all get disturbed by
> > little things like that. The difference is that for most people the
> > level of disturbance is so small as to be hardly noticeable. For anyone
> > stuck on an obsession, the level can be magnified to a "seriously
> > troubled" point.
>

> --

Thanks for that background, I had absolutely no idea, I bowed out of Usenet when spam levels became intolerable. Daniel's level of intense feeling about certain points of language didn't stand out that much to me at the time. I don't know what that says about me! Though those were also the days of Bun Mui (now what happened to him/her?!), so I probably also just thought he was a troll (though not in a bad sense, just someone who liked to perpetuate weird in-jokes).

Damn, there is something about those days when Usenet was in its prime and you had some real Internet characters around in these communities, that mostly got lost a long time ago, especially when forums largely died a death.

CDB

Nov 26, 2021, 7:55:46 AM11/26/21
On 11/24/2021 8:46 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> Snidely wrote:
>> Peter T. Daniels did proclaim ...
Little Regan could do those. What's an extortionist?

CDB

Nov 26, 2021, 8:04:01 AM11/26/21
On 11/26/2021 7:09 AM, markowe wrote:
> Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
[That was Peter, not Athel]
These days we favour a more ambiguous pronoun. Or sometimes more ambiguous.

And now! Here they are! Bun! and Mui! What's a dolly?

Snidely

Nov 26, 2021, 8:37:40 AM11/26/21
CDB is guilty of <sno46e$c3m$1...@gioia.aioe.org> as of 11/25/2021 5:47:57
AM
A garment with a folded headcovering. Oh, wait, what the ... ell?

Maybe we're getting the French Labra.

Either way, what's plush?

/dps

--
"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the

Snidely

Nov 26, 2021, 8:37:42 AM11/26/21
Peter Moylan submitted this idea :
Braids. What's a Mohawk?

Snidely

Nov 26, 2021, 8:37:45 AM11/26/21
bil...@shaw.ca speculated:
The end of a ruler. What's a royal marriage?

/dps

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in

J. J. Lodder

Nov 26, 2021, 9:38:46 AM11/26/21
Not here.
Looking back, aue has about the same posting volume
that it had ten years ago.
The long term worry is that it is carried by fewer people,
and they have gotten older.

Many regular posters have disappeared,
but new faces are seen, once in a while,
and some of them remain,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Nov 26, 2021, 9:38:47 AM11/26/21
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote:

> bil...@shaw.ca speculated:

> >> It still exists on Facebook.
> >>
> > I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
> > invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still play.
> > (What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for puns,
> > etc.
> >
> > What's afoot?
>
> The end of a ruler. What's a royal marriage?

A pre-production agreement. How long is the line?

Jan

Jerry Friedman

Nov 26, 2021, 10:56:40 AM11/26/21
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 3:23:16 AM UTC-7, Peter Moylan wrote:

[DGMcG]

> His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
> just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
> Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
> from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
> institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
> bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
> letter.

Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).

--
Jerry Friedman

Mack A. Damia

Nov 26, 2021, 10:58:24 AM11/26/21
Reverse ejaculation. What is a gamete?

markowe

Nov 26, 2021, 11:00:04 AM11/26/21

> >So what's disseminate?
> Reverse ejaculation. What is a gamete?

Gamburgers. What's a manouevre?

musika

Nov 26, 2021, 11:03:12 AM11/26/21
Yes. I was going to post that Daniel went one further (USE and alt UKE
"farther".)

--
Ray
UK

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 26, 2021, 11:23:18 AM11/26/21
That's what I thought.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 26, 2021, 12:01:59 PM11/26/21
Before his mother told us about his autism he gave a clear hint in his
posting name of Daniel al-Autisqi (or something like that), but I'm not
sure we all picked that up.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 26, 2021, 1:20:30 PM11/26/21
The one I saw the most, alongside "Pacific," was "send." I knew nothing
about Sam Cooke or where that had come from, but every time that
meaning comes up in a crossword puzzle, I remember Dan fondly.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 26, 2021, 1:23:19 PM11/26/21
A Finger Lake. What's a ladyfinger?

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 26, 2021, 1:28:17 PM11/26/21
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 9:38:46 AM UTC-5, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> markowe <mzda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Damn, there is something about those days when Usenet was in its prime and
> > you had some real Internet characters around in these communities, that
> > mostly got lost a long time ago, especially when forums largely died a
> > death.
>
> Not here.
> Looking back, aue has about the same posting volume
> that it had ten years ago.
> The long term worry is that it is carried by fewer people,
> and they have gotten older.
>
> Many regular posters have disappeared,
> but new faces are seen, once in a while,
> and some of them remain,

But some come back: recently "lar" from Canada, and just today,
markowe.

Both from long enough ago to be before my time.

Mack A. Damia

Nov 26, 2021, 1:46:32 PM11/26/21
Dr. Mary checking your prostate. What is a gland?

Anders D. Nygaard

Nov 26, 2021, 2:17:07 PM11/26/21
Den 24-11-2021 kl. 06:28 skrev Snidely:
> on 11/23/2021, Mack A. Damia supposed :

>>> A wad of bills in your back pocket.  What's a pool hustler?
>>
>>  Fast Eddie.  Who's in the box tonight?
>
> Cracker Jack's.  Who needs a lift?

Mr. Otis. What are reregrets?

/Anders, Denmark

bil...@shaw.ca

Nov 26, 2021, 2:37:25 PM11/26/21
A rer type of egrets. What's on the wing?

lar3ryca

Nov 26, 2021, 3:05:45 PM11/26/21
A bell on the end. What's a party?

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 26, 2021, 4:06:47 PM11/26/21
A gleat amount biggel than a ton. What's a long weight?

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Richard Heathfield

Nov 26, 2021, 4:08:44 PM11/26/21
"Your call is important to us." What's a white lie?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Peter Moylan

Nov 26, 2021, 7:19:59 PM11/26/21
Yes, you're right. My remembery is not what it used to be.

Peter Moylan

Nov 26, 2021, 7:33:30 PM11/26/21
On 26/11/21 23:09, markowe wrote:

> Thanks for that background, I had absolutely no idea, I bowed out of
> Usenet when spam levels became intolerable. Daniel's level of
> intense feeling about certain points of language didn't stand out
> that much to me at the time. I don't know what that says about me!

And about the rest of us. The point has been made several times that a
number of AUE regulars are sitting somewhere in the autism spectrum. I
go further, and claim that the obsession and focus that is
characteristic of the spectrum is almost a prerequisite for success in
science, in engineering research, in mathematics, and a few similar
areas of human endeavour. In aspects, as it happens, that attract people
to AUE.

> Though those were also the days of Bun Mui (now what happened to
> him/her?!), so I probably also just thought he was a troll (though
> not in a bad sense, just someone who liked to perpetuate weird
> in-jokes).

Someone claimed to have spotted Bun Mui when at a boink, but I think
that was a false alarm. I'm convinced that it was a regular who was
playing a long-running role. The very name is a giveaway, because in
some parts of the Chinese-speaking world it's a put-down for a
low-status Filipina worker.

> Damn, there is something about those days when Usenet was in its
> prime and you had some real Internet characters around in these
> communities, that mostly got lost a long time ago, especially when
> forums largely died a death.

As it happens - as it was meant to happen - I was trying to explain the
history of this to someone the other day. Long ago, people abandoned the
mailing lists for the newsgroups. (Or was it the other way around?)
Eventually the arrival of Google Groups lowered the standards, and not a
lot later many regulars moved to Facebook. By now, I gather, the young
people are complaining that Facebook is only for old people, and they
have moved on to other platforms I don't care to investigate.

CDB

Nov 27, 2021, 7:58:40 AM11/27/21
On 11/26/2021 11:03 AM, musika wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> Peter Moylan wrote:

>> [DGMcG]

>>> His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende
>>> was just one example. He was very worried about the name of the
>>> Pacific Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather
>>> that is far from pacific. There were a few other cases like that.
>>> Later, when he was institutionalised, he had a nurse called J
>>> (not Jay), and he was bothered by the fact that someone could
>>> have a name that was just one letter.

>> Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).

> Yes. I was going to post that Daniel went one further (USE and alt
> UKE "farther".)

I'm with them. If the word describes a spatial relationship, either
real or metaphorical (as here), I write "farther". But I will not
impose further on your patience.

CDB

Nov 27, 2021, 9:01:21 AM11/27/21
On 11/26/2021 8:37 AM, Snidely wrote:
> CDB is guilty of:
This was great pun in the initial plush of enthusiasm, but now I think
I'll plush any further farticipation on my fart.

Anders D. Nygaard

Nov 28, 2021, 5:46:52 AM11/28/21
A thing to go with a partx. What's a gizmo?

/Anders, Denmark

Snidely

Nov 28, 2021, 6:15:22 AM11/28/21
On Sunday or thereabouts, Anders D. Nygaard declared ...
A generous donor. What's a generic doner?

/dps

--
As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."

Snidely

Nov 28, 2021, 6:16:13 AM11/28/21
Just this Friday, Richard Heathfield puzzled about:
Where the cue ball is. What's in the pocket?

Snidely

Snidely

Nov 28, 2021, 6:19:55 AM11/28/21
Just this Friday, markowe puzzled about:

>>> So what's disseminate?
>> Reverse ejaculation. What is a gamete?
>
> Gamburgers. What's a manouevre?

He's over a bottomless pit. What's a top hat?

/dps

--
"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm

Snidely

Nov 28, 2021, 6:21:54 AM11/28/21
On Friday or thereabouts, J. J. Lodder declared ...
Long enough that you can hold the line. What's a sheet in the wind?

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"

Lewis

Nov 28, 2021, 9:22:32 AM11/28/21
A dull kebab. What's a gyro?

--
I WILL NOT GREASE THE MONKEY BARS Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F17

Mack A. Damia

Nov 28, 2021, 11:04:32 AM11/28/21
On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 03:16:07 -0800, Snidely <snide...@gmail.com>
wrote:
The staff of life. What is sourdough?

Sam Plusnet

Nov 28, 2021, 12:57:20 PM11/28/21
Something you should _not_ do to windward. What's a blowback?

--
Sam Plusnet

bil...@shaw.ca

Nov 28, 2021, 5:12:31 PM11/28/21
Someone with a gear loose. What's Greek to me?

bill

Quinn C

Nov 28, 2021, 7:03:34 PM11/28/21

Snidely

Nov 28, 2021, 7:48:13 PM11/28/21
Snidely presented the following explanation :
What's tight?

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

lar3ryca

Nov 28, 2021, 11:21:53 PM11/28/21
A frog's arsehole. What's a salamander?

Snidely

Dec 3, 2021, 4:11:36 AM12/3/21
Mack A. Damia blurted out:
When you spill vinegar on your dollar bills. What's a billhook?

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Snidely

Dec 3, 2021, 4:12:42 AM12/3/21
On Sunday, lar3ryca exclaimed wildly:
The left-over side in the refrigerator. What's chilling?

J. J. Lodder

Dec 3, 2021, 6:49:42 AM12/3/21
Something you catch babies with. What's above Nirvana?

Jan

Quinn C

Dec 3, 2021, 1:39:57 PM12/3/21
* Snidely:
That this thread is still going. What's binging?

--
There is a whole cottage industry devoted to people who are
upset by the idea of others being outraged.

Sam Plusnet

Dec 3, 2021, 2:30:14 PM12/3/21
Let me google that for you. What's a Wiki?

--
Sam Plusnet

Kerr-Mudd, John

Dec 3, 2021, 3:01:47 PM12/3/21
A backward New Zealander? What time is high noon in Brokenwood?

lar3ryca

Dec 4, 2021, 2:20:23 PM12/4/21
Never. It's always pointing down.

What's a woodpecker?