=SDC= Q09: 10

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 18, 2011, 5:51:39 AM8/18/11
The first sentence of a certain short book has thirty-seven words; the
second has sixty-three; the third has seventy-five; the last has
seventy. The others are shorter. The illustrator is well known for
illustrating books by an author whose first name is spelled the same as
a common English word, a cognate to a Latin word whose feminine
accusative plural was borrowed into English as what word?

--
VB

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 18, 2011, 1:16:24 PM8/18/11

The first of ten.

--
VB
Totally Official

franzi

Aug 18, 2011, 7:37:44 PM8/18/11
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
Ooh, has it started already? Time to blow away the cobwebs. Cuirass (L.
coriaceas).
--
franzi

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 8:04:56 AM8/19/11

Are you being chorizontal?

(That's not a clue. I just wanted to show off a new word.)

--
VB

LFS

Aug 19, 2011, 8:27:01 AM8/19/11

Lying down eating sausage?

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 8:37:42 AM8/19/11

No, that's 'flatwursting'.

'Chorizontal' means 'ascribing a work to more than author'.

Piff! I thought everyone knew that.

--
VB

R H Draney

Aug 19, 2011, 1:37:35 PM8/19/11
Vinny Burgoo filted:

>In alt.usage.english, LFS wrote:
>>On 19/08/2011 13:04, Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you being chorizontal?
>>>
>>> (That's not a clue. I just wanted to show off a new word.)
>>
>>Lying down eating sausage?
>
>No, that's 'flatwursting'.

Lately I hear them calling it "phrlanking"....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 19, 2011, 1:55:59 PM8/19/11

one?

> author'.

If so, it's the third millennium--you have to say "multiple authors".

> Piff! I thought everyone knew that.

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Aug 19, 2011, 1:54:45 PM8/19/11

A hapax googlemenon--well done!

--
Jerry Friedman

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 4:31:43 PM8/19/11
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>On Aug 19, 6:37 am, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> >Lying down eating sausage?
>>
>> No, that's 'flatwursting'.
>>
>> 'Chorizontal' means 'ascribing a work to more than
>
>one?

Yes. And I should have written 'corpus', not 'work'.

>> author'.
>
>If so, it's the third millennium--you have to say "multiple authors".

A corpus with multiple authors
Was ascribed by X to a porpoise.
A chorizont said:
'He's better off dead
These days, X is a gawpus.'

--
VB,
getting his coat

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 4:46:33 PM8/19/11

I'm not sure I want to understand that.

--
VB
But I did try. Did you know that (a) flatwursts exist and (b) a professional

Evan Kirshenbaum

Aug 19, 2011, 5:20:40 PM8/19/11
Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

Just a guess, but "lion"?

Still with HP Labs |The whole idea of our government is
SF Bay Area (1982-) |this: if enough people get together
Chicago (1964-1982) |and act in concert, they can take
|something and not pay for it.
evan.kir...@gmail.com | P.J. O'Rourke

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

msh210

Aug 19, 2011, 8:20:39 PM8/19/11

The two serious answers in this thread have ignored a word in the
above, or taken it too loosely.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

R H Draney

Aug 20, 2011, 1:56:48 AM8/20/11
Vinny Burgoo filted:

>In alt.usage.english, R H Draney wrote:
>>Vinny Burgoo filted:

>>>No, that's 'flatwursting'.
>>
>>Lately I hear them calling it "phrlanking"....r
>
>I'm not sure I want to understand that.

My awkward attempt to combine "franks" and "planking" in a single word....r

R H Draney

Aug 20, 2011, 1:58:18 AM8/20/11
Vinny Burgoo filted:

A botanist stated, "The fact is,
I've tried to make love to a cactus.
Though I pricked myself sore,
I still managed to score,
And I'm sure I'll improve, given practice."

Burma Shave....r

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 7:29:13 AM8/22/11

Hint: Bedroom monsters.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

CDB

Aug 22, 2011, 12:57:09 PM8/22/11
Alias.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 1:32:27 PM8/22/11

Thank you!

Explanation:

The book is _Where the Wild Things Are_ by Maurice Sendak. He
illustrated the Little Bear books by Else Holmelund Minarik. The cognate
is 'alius'.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 22, 2011, 1:34:37 PM8/22/11

Sheep are going to show up this evening, by the way.

--
Jerry Friedman, Totally Officially done with vacation.

CDB

Aug 22, 2011, 2:13:39 PM8/22/11
Jerry Friedman wrote:

> Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> CDB wrote:

>>> Alias.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Explanation:
>>
>> The book is _Where the Wild Things Are_ by Maurice Sendak. He
>> illustrated the Little Bear books by Else Holmelund Minarik. The
>> cognate is 'alius'.
>
> Sheep are going to show up this evening, by the way.

Ever so phew. I couldn't believe somebody wouldn't get there before
me.

franzi

Aug 22, 2011, 3:11:51 PM8/22/11
CDB <belle...@sympatico.ca> wrote
It's interesting (well, it is to me) how trivial the reasons are for not
getting this answer.

The first, several days ago, was that when looking for -as words I
rejected alias as an adverb, not a feminine plural. Too hasty!

Elsewise, after the last heavy hint, I couldn't remember where our copy
of Where the Wild Things Are had got to. (I've found it now.) My
recollection was that the sentences were all short.

Congrats.
--
franzi

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:33:36 AM8/23/11

Your Cormo is letting the wild rumpus start, but under another name.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepimaginer

CDB

Aug 24, 2011, 1:00:28 AM8/24/11
I fainted at the mere thought of looking at all those words, with no
guarantee that the quarry even ended in "-as". My copy of WTWTA went
long ago to a deserving neighbour kid. I had thought of Sendak early
on but couldn't confirm the sentence-lengths; when prompted looked
him up in Wp and found Else.

R H Draney

Aug 24, 2011, 2:32:27 AM8/24/11
CDB filted:

>I fainted at the mere thought of looking at all those words, with no
>guarantee that the quarry even ended in "-as". My copy of WTWTA went
>long ago to a deserving neighbour kid. I had thought of Sendak early
>on but couldn't confirm the sentence-lengths; when prompted looked
>him up in Wp and found Else.

I looked at Wiki myself, but by then the sheep had been snared...I did however
note the telltale sentence:

"Before Where the Wild Things Are, Sendak was best known for illustrating Else
Holmelund Minarik's Little Bear series of books."