=SDC= Q12: Quith A Quhimper

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 1:12:34 AM9/1/12
Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
Cornouaille. How is it spelt?

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2012, 2:03:36 AM9/1/12
Jerry Friedman:
> Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
> Cornouaille. How is it spelt?

Well, I suppose Cornouaille is Cornwall, but that's all I have.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The time to make up your mind about people
m...@vex.net | is never." --The Philadelphia Story

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 1, 2012, 12:57:25 PM9/1/12
On 2012-09-01 15:57:04 +0000, Lewis said:

> In message <FcSdnSE56O2lONzN...@vex.net>
> Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman:
>>> Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
>>> Cornouaille. How is it spelt?
>
>> Well, I suppose Cornouaille is Cornwall, but that's all I have.
>
> Brittany, I thought.

Cornuaille is certainly a part of Brittany, and Cornouailles is the
French for the English county of similar name, but it doesn't get us
closer to the answer.

Or maybe it does: what about "whimper"? (There is indeed a town in
Brittany called Quimper (no h), bt I don't remember if it's in
Cornouaille.)
--
athel

Lanarcam

Sep 1, 2012, 1:08:35 PM9/1/12
Le 01/09/2012 18:57, Athel Cornish-Bowden a �crit :
Quimper is in Cornouaille, I had relative who lived there.
There is even a festival de Cornouaille where you can
hear Breton music. You can "enjoy" binious and chouchenn,
do you know that one?

http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/

Dr Nick

Sep 1, 2012, 3:36:53 PM9/1/12
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> writes:

> In message <FcSdnSE56O2lONzN...@vex.net> Mark Brader
> <m...@vex.net> wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman:
>>> Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
>>> Cornouaille. How is it spelt?
>
>> Well, I suppose Cornouaille is Cornwall, but that's all I have.
>
> Brittany, I thought.

"Cornell" comes from Cornwall. And from that I get to:
http://www.metaezra.com/archive/2007/05/the_cornell_battle_cry.shtml

And is that BrE spelling of spelt significant? - it leads to endless
grain puns hereabouts when people use it.

But no combination of these gives me anything that works with the hint
of Qu for W or Elliot or Wasteland.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 2, 2012, 1:55:12 AM9/2/12
Maybe we're getting closer: "That is the way the world ends; not with a
bang but a whimper". I had forgotten that these lines were by T. S.
Eliot -- I thought they were from some physicist. Anyway, Quimper isn't
exactly "where the world ends" (Brest would be better, and some
vilages no one has heard of better still), but it's certainly in
Finist�re, which can loosely be taken to mean where the worls ends. I
still haven't figured out what the h is doing in Quhimper.

> http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/

--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 2, 2012, 4:44:09 AM9/2/12
On 2012-09-02 05:55:12 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:

> On 2012-09-01 17:08:35 +0000, Lanarcam said:

>>> Cornuaille is certainly a part of Brittany, and Cornouailles is the
>>> French for the English county of similar name, but it doesn't get us
>>> closer to the answer.
>>>
>>> Or maybe it does: what about "whimper"? (There is indeed a town in
>>> Brittany called Quimper (no h), bt I don't remember if it's in
>>> Cornouaille.)
>>
>> Quimper is in Cornouaille, I had relative who lived there.
>> There is even a festival de Cornouaille where you can
>> hear Breton music. You can "enjoy" binious and chouchenn,
>> do you know that one?
>
> Maybe we're getting closer: "That is the way the world ends; not with a
> bang but a whimper". I had forgotten that these lines were by T. S.
> Eliot -- I thought they were from some physicist. Anyway, Quimper isn't
> exactly "where the world ends" (Brest would be better, and some
> vilages no one has heard of better still), but it's certainly in
> Finistère, which can loosely be taken to mean where the worls ends. I
> still haven't figured out what the h is doing in Quhimper.

Ha. Google to the rescue: "The ʒyng childring, effrayt matronys eik …
with mony petuus screik … quhymper and wondir sayr"

--
athel

CDB

Sep 2, 2012, 7:52:54 AM9/2/12
That was the way the world ended, which brings in Finisterre. Don't
know about the yell. Or the early Scottish spelling..

Cora Fuchs

Sep 2, 2012, 1:00:40 PM9/2/12
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 10:44:09 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>Ha. Google to the rescue: "The ?yng childring, effrayt matronys eik �
>with mony petuus screik � quhymper and wondir sayr"

So the "yell" would be spelled "screik"?

msh210

Sep 4, 2012, 1:40:00 PM9/4/12
On August 31st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially asked:
> Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
> Cornouaille.  How is it spelt?

Answer this question A Rebours -- or the opposite of that.

Michael Hamm
TO hinter

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 4, 2012, 3:10:57 PM9/4/12
In alt.usage.english, Cora Fuchs wrote:
>On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 10:44:09 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden

>>Ha. Google to the rescue: "The ?yng childring, effrayt matronys eik …
>>with mony petuus screik … quhymper and wondir sayr"
>
>So the "yell" would be spelled "screik"?

Or 'guffall' or 'guffaw', as in 'guffalled quith a quhimper'(Finnegan's
Wake)?

--
VB

Jerry Friedman

Sep 7, 2012, 1:04:42 AM9/7/12
On Sep 4, 11:40 am, msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On August 31st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially asked:
>
> > Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
> > Cornouaille.  How is it spelt?
>
> Answer this question A Rebours -- or the opposite of that.

I might add that this question is surprisingly omnipondian.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hopeful planter of seeds

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 8, 2012, 6:39:21 AM9/8/12
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>On Sep 4, 11:40�am, msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On August 31st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially asked:

>> > Imagine the yell that comes from an area known in French as
>> > Cornouaille. �How is it spelt?
>>
>> Answer this question A Rebours -- or the opposite of that.
>
>I might add that this question is surprisingly omnipondian.

A stray thought: une ouaille is a lamb, so the yell might be a bleat.

I have no idea how to get from there to something grainy, so a guess:
kernel.

--
VB

CDB

Sep 8, 2012, 7:37:06 AM9/8/12
"Kern" being Breton for "horn" if it isn't "cairn", could the yell be a
cuckoo hollerin' for somethin' it spelt? Rendez-moi ma graine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epoMnWLeE68

Snidely

Sep 8, 2012, 2:26:57 PM9/8/12
Vinny Burgoo speculated:
> In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>On Sep 4, 11:40ï¿œam, msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On August 31st, Jerry Friedman Totally Officially asked:

>>> Answer this question A Rebours -- or the opposite of that.
>>
>>I might add that this question is surprisingly omnipondian.
>
> A stray thought: une ouaille is a lamb, so the yell might be a bleat.
>
> I have no idea how to get from there to something grainy, so a guess: kernel.

Are you going backwards yet?

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Snidely

Sep 8, 2012, 2:31:47 PM9/8/12
Snidely explained :
Me, I'm just wrong.

Vinny Burgoo

Sep 8, 2012, 2:56:29 PM9/8/12
In alt.usage.english, Snidely wrote:
>Vinny Burgoo speculated:

>>>I might add that this question is surprisingly omnipondian.
>>
>> A stray thought: une ouaille is a lamb, so the yell might be a bleat.
>>
>> I have no idea how to get from there to something grainy, so a guess: kernel.
>
>Are you going backwards yet?

Yes, but I'm not retreating. Onwards!

--
VB

Paul Wolff

Sep 10, 2012, 1:18:09 PM9/10/12
In message <aagals...@mid.individual.net>, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> writes
>On 2012-09-01 17:08:35 +0000, Lanarcam said:

>>> Cornuaille is certainly a part of Brittany, and Cornouailles is the
>>> French for the English county of similar name, but it doesn't get us
>>> closer to the answer.
>>> Or maybe it does: what about "whimper"? (There is indeed a town in
>>> Brittany called Quimper (no h), bt I don't remember if it's in
>>> Cornouaille.)
>> Quimper is in Cornouaille, I had relative who lived there.
>> There is even a festival de Cornouaille where you can
>> hear Breton music. You can "enjoy" binious and chouchenn,
>> do you know that one?
>
>Maybe we're getting closer: "That is the way the world ends; not with a
>bang but a whimper". I had forgotten that these lines were by T. S.
>Eliot -- I thought they were from some physicist. Anyway, Quimper isn't
>exactly "where the world ends" (Brest would be better, and some
>vilages no one has heard of better still), but it's certainly in
>Finistère, which can loosely be taken to mean where the worls ends. I
>still haven't figured out what the h is doing in Quhimper.
>> http://www.festival-cornouaille.com/

I'd like the answer to be bhang, but cannabis sativa isn't spelt or
emmer or einkorn.

As far as I know, the corn of Cornwall is from Latin cornu while the
corn that is grain is Germanic and unrelated.
--
Paul

James Hogg

Sep 10, 2012, 1:35:24 PM9/10/12
I can't find an entry for bhang here. The closest I can come is this:
http://br.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachich

--
James

Paul Wolff

Sep 10, 2012, 2:02:48 PM9/10/12
In message <k2l8da$348$1...@dont-email.me>, James Hogg
<Jas....@gOUTmail.com> writes
That's clear as clarity. Naturally I'm fluent in Breton, and know that
Yell is the Breton for Spelt, which is how spelt is yell in Cornouaille.
--
Paul

Jerry Friedman

Sep 10, 2012, 2:05:43 PM9/10/12