To a Haggis.

Mark Odegard

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
Robert Burns' birthday is coming up (January 25). It's time for
the annual Scots tribute on a.u.e.

http://www.discribe.ca/world/scotland/haggis.html
quoting coss...@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz

<start quote>

Here is a recipe for haggis taken from a Traditional Scottish
Cookery book.

1 Stomach bag
8 oz shredded mutton
liver, lights (lungs), and heart of a sheep
suet
salt
1 breakfast cup of oatmeal
black pepper
2 onions

1.Clean stomach bag thoroughly and leave overnight in cold
water to which salt has been added.
2.Turn rough side out. Put heart, lights and liver in a pan.
3.Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 and one half hours.
4.Toast the oatmeal on a tray in the oven or under the grill.
5.Chop the heart, lights and liver.
6.Mix all the ingredients together with the suet, adding salt
and pepper. Keep mixture sappy (moist), using the liquid in
which the liver was boiled.
7.Fill bag a little over half full, as mixture needs room to
swell.
8.Sew bag securely and put in a large pot of hot water.
9.As soon as mixture begins to swell, prick with a needle to
prevent bag from bursting.
10.Boil for 3 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes and mashed neeps (turnips).

This mixture will serve 6 - 8 people.

It is served on Burns' Anniversary, 25 January and St
Andrews Day, 30 November, carried aloft on a silver tray by
a highlander in full Highland dress, preceded by a piper
playing a National Air. The Haggis is then addressed as
follows:

Fair fa' your honest, sonsy face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe or thairm;
Weel are ye worthy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

Robert Burns, To a Haggis.
<end quote>

See also http://bushrat.jpl.nasa.gov/tak/haggis.html
for a collection of other recipes for Burns' Night.

--
Mark Odegard mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com

Truly Donovan

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
In article <kremeDL...@netcom.com> kr...@netcom.com (Cerebus The Aardvark) writes:

>Just out of curiosity, where does one aquire suet? I don't believe I've
>ever seen it on the store shelf. What aisle would it be in? I would guess
>in the neighborhood of the lard, but it must be well conceled.

Assuming that you don't have one of those stores where all the meats arrive
from the distributor already packaged for the consumer, you ask the butcher.
Or you can collect it over time as you trim other cuts of beef for cooking and
throw it in the freezer until you collect enough.

Truly Donovan

Mark Odegard

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
On Jan 21, 1996 21:59:44 in article <Re: To a Haggis.>,
'will...@netcom.com (richard belcher)' wrote:

>: Cerebus The Aardvark (kr...@netcom.com) wrote:
>: mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com (Mark Odegard) writes:
>: > 1 Stomach bag
>: > 8 oz shredded mutton
>: > liver, lights (lungs), and heart of a sheep
>: > suet
>
>: Just out of curiosity, where does one aquire suet?
>: I don't believe I've ever seen it on the store shelf.
>: What aisle would it be in? I would guess in the
>: neighborhood of the lard, but it must be well conceled.
>
>For that matter where in all of the US would one actually
>find mutton. I know I can't.

It's available at *ethnic* butcher shops, at least here in
New York. For offal, however, you would probably have to
special order through a butcher shop, or make the trip to
a wholesale meat market. The suet can be from the sheep
as well (kidney fat). A small but genuine market has
developed to service Burns' Day. You'll occasionally catch
articles in food sections on the topic.

--
Mark Odegard mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com

Rex Knepp

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
Mark Odegard (mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com) wrote:
:
: Here is a recipe for haggis taken from a Traditional Scottish
: Cookery book.
:
: 1 Stomach bag
: 8 oz shredded mutton
: liver, lights (lungs), and heart of a sheep
: suet
: salt
: 1 breakfast cup of oatmeal
: black pepper
: 2 onions
:

A Dallas-area Anglican church held a festival some time around New Year's
Day, replete with tossing the caber and sounds of the pipes and all
things Scots -- they even served good Scotch (which did not sit well
with the Baptists next door, I'm sure).

One feature was the food: they actually prepared a haggis, and served
it to all who were brave enough to try it. The bazaar did a brisk
business in t-shirts emblazoned with "I've eaten the haggis!"

-30-

rex

kn...@hou.moc.com
Rex Knepp - Marathon Oil Company - Tyler, TX
Marathon has no opinions: these are, therefore, mine.

Mark Baker

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
In article <4ds68p$p...@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>,

mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com (Mark Odegard) writes:

>Serve with mashed potatoes and mashed neeps (turnips).

That may be the traditional way.

If you look in a Scottish supermarket they sell it in slices, which
you fry, a bit like black pudding. Really nice for breakfast.

Although how similar the supermarket stuff is to real haggis I wouldn't
like to say.

Matthew Rabuzzi

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96

mlo...@nyc.pipeline.com (Mark Odegard) writes:
: |> Robert Burns' birthday is coming up (January 25). It's time for

: |> the annual Scots tribute on a.u.e.

Today's the day! Tonight, let's gaily throw a ceilidhe
for our dear Mister Burns. I'll bring the Laphroaig.

"Scots wha oy!" -- Rabbi Burns
Matthew Rabuzzi

Alan J. Flavell

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96

In article <4e52h3$r...@scotsman.ed.ac.uk>, J.We...@ed.ac.uk (John
Wexler) writes:

>|> Serve with mashed potatoes and mashed neeps (turnips).
>

>This is liable to produce the wrong effect altogether. Neeps are indeed
>the things called "turnips" in Scotland, but nobody else calls them
>turnips. Neeps have a purplish skin and orange-yellow flesh, and need
>to be cooked for quite a long time before they are mashable. In
>England, they are called "swedes", and the name "turnip" is used for a
>white-fleshed and usually smaller root. As far as I can make out, neeps
>are probably the same as rutabagas (but they definitely are not
>parsnips).

Yes, I can confirm all of that. I've never seen them described in
the "real world" as rutabaga, but a friend who studied horticulture
confirmed to me that was the official name of the yellow thing that
you describe. I've seen rutabaga listed in an ingredients list for
pickles too, though I wouldn't have known what it was (they were?)
without the horticultural adviser...

(As a colleague commented when haggis was described to him, "we
have a similar dish in Sweden, but the Swedes would be seated
around the table, not served on it").

Parsnips are an entirely different kind of plant - an umbellifer.

Sometime soon we'll probably get on to mangolds, and mangel
wurzels...

>Alternative recipe for haggis:
>
>Take sheep.
>Shave it closely.
>Roll it thickly in oatmeal and plenty of ground black pepper.
>Reach your arm into its mouth, and push your hand through until it comes
>out at the other end.
etc.

A mathematician put it more succinctly:

1. take a sheep 2. Perform mathematical inversion.

best regards, bon appetit, mahlzeit etc.

Claudia Brusdeylins

Feb 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/5/96
Matthew schrieb/wrote:

> Today's the day! Tonight, let's gaily throw a ceilidhe
> for our dear Mister Burns. I'll bring the Laphroaig.

I'll stick to the Laphroaig and leave you to the Haggis (or the Haggis to
you?) Hey, let's start yet another pedantic thread! ;-)

Claudia
Claudia Brusdeylins from G"ottingen, Germany
Claudia.B...@LINK-GOE.zerberus.de
also in CompuServe at 10155...@compuserve.com

Sparrow

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
fla...@vxcern.cern.ch (Alan J. Flavell) wrote:

>Scottish fish-and-chip shops (I don't need to explain the UK meaning
>of "chips", I hope) sell, amongst their other greasy offerings, "haggis
>supper": a portion-sized sausage containing the haggis mixture,
>deep-fried in batter, accompanied by a portion of chips.

>No wonder Scots have such a poor record record for heart problems...

>ttfn
Scotland's chippies may well be responsible for that country's heart disease
record. If you order pizza or pie it is deep-fried, often in lard or beef
dripping.

============== Spug (Sparrow) London.==========================

bruce bowser

Nov 30, 2022, 4:01:06 PM11/30/22
On Saturday, January 20, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Mark Odegard wrote:
> Robert Burns' birthday is coming up (January 25). It's time for
> the annual Scots tribute on a.u.e.
>
> Here is a recipe for haggis taken from a Traditional Scottish
> Cookery book.
>
> 1 Stomach bag
> 8 oz shredded mutton
> liver, lights (lungs), and heart of a sheep
> suet
> salt
> 1 breakfast cup of oatmeal
> black pepper
> 2 onions
>
> 1.Clean stomach bag thoroughly and leave overnight in cold
> water to which salt has been added.
> 2.Turn rough side out. Put heart, lights and liver in a pan.
> 3.Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 and one half hours.
> 4.Toast the oatmeal on a tray in the oven or under the grill.
> 5.Chop the heart, lights and liver.
> 6.Mix all the ingredients together with the suet, adding salt
> and pepper. Keep mixture sappy (moist), using the liquid in
> which the liver was boiled.
> 7.Fill bag a little over half full, as mixture needs room to
> swell.
> 8.Sew bag securely and put in a large pot of hot water.
> 9.As soon as mixture begins to swell, prick with a needle to
> prevent bag from bursting.
> 10.Boil for 3 hours.
>
> Serve with mashed potatoes and mashed neeps (turnips).
>
> This mixture will serve 6 - 8 people.
>
> It is served on Burns' Anniversary, 25 January and St
> Andrews Day, 30 November, carried aloft on a silver tray by
> a highlander in full Highland dress, preceded by a piper
> playing a National Air.

Wow, that's you in the UK.

Hibou

Dec 1, 2022, 8:39:26 AM12/1/22
Some of us. When I were a lad, we fed the cat on lights, but didn't eat
them ourselves.

Sam Plusnet

Dec 1, 2022, 2:01:36 PM12/1/22
On 01-Dec-22 13:39, Hibou wrote:
> When I were a lad, we fed the cat on lights, but didn't eat
> them ourselves.

I hated cutting them up (also to feed cats).
The texture as you 'sliced' through them with a fairly blunt knife is
still an unpleasant memory.

--
Sam Plusnet

Jerry Friedman

Dec 1, 2022, 5:04:31 PM12/1/22
Did you eat sausage?

--
Jerry Friedman

Hibou

Dec 2, 2022, 1:48:16 AM12/2/22
I don't remember having that chore, but I remember lights and their texture.

My duty was to look after the hens, and my abiding memory is of
shovelling stinking manure out of the hen house in summer.

Hibou

Dec 2, 2022, 1:48:28 AM12/2/22
Interesting point. Yes, and I don't know what was in them. The fact that
they came from a good local butcher sheds no lights on the matter.

Ken Blake

Dec 2, 2022, 9:19:25 AM12/2/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 06:48:11 +0000, Hibou <h...@b.ou> wrote:

>Le 01/12/2022 à 19:01, Sam Plusnet a écrit :
>> On 01-Dec-22 13:39, Hibou wrote:
>>>
>>> When I were a lad, we fed the cat on lights, but didn't eat them
>>> ourselves.
>>
>> I hated cutting them up (also to feed cats).
>> The texture as you 'sliced' through them with a fairly blunt knife is
>> still an unpleasant memory.
>
>I don't remember having that chore, but I remember lights and their texture.

What is meant by "lights"?

Jerry Friedman

Dec 2, 2022, 9:32:05 AM12/2/22
Lungs. I see that sense isn't in either AHD or M-W.

--
Jerry Friedman

Ken Blake

Dec 2, 2022, 11:31:39 AM12/2/22
Thanks. I think I had come across that meaning before, but I asked
because I wasn't sure.

Bertel Lund Hansen

Dec 2, 2022, 1:30:39 PM12/2/22
Den 02.12.2022 kl. 15.32 skrev Jerry Friedman:

>> What is meant by "lights"?
>
> Lungs. I see that sense isn't in either AHD or M-W.

It is explained in bruce bowser's message.

--
Bertel

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 2, 2022, 2:08:34 PM12/2/22
"lights \līts\ n. pl. [ME _lightes_, fr. _light_ light in weight] (12c)
the lungs esp. of a slaughtered animal" --MW 11th Collegiate

Jerry Friedman

Dec 2, 2022, 2:37:41 PM12/2/22
Thanks, I guess it's always plural. Itt's also in the AHD and the OED
without any singular.

--
Jerry Friedman

Sam Plusnet

Dec 2, 2022, 2:53:07 PM12/2/22
If you read those.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ken Blake

Dec 2, 2022, 5:26:50 PM12/2/22
I didn't see it. He's killfiled here.

CDB

Dec 3, 2022, 8:29:24 AM12/3/22
On 12/2/2022 9:32 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> Hibou <h...@b.ou> wrote:

>>> I don't remember having that chore, but I remember lights and
>>> their texture.

>> What is meant by "lights"?

> Lungs. I see that sense isn't in either AHD or M-W.

It's in both of them at Onelook. I see Peter TD has found it in his
M-W, but I don't know what edition that is.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 3, 2022, 9:26:47 AM12/3/22
The Eleventh. As PTD said. The most recent print edition, 2003.
(The 12th is overdue.) What does the date of the edition matter,
given that the word is attested from "12c"? (12th century, not 1200s.)

Mack A. Damia

Dec 3, 2022, 12:17:47 PM12/3/22
"Lights" meaning "lungs" is not uncommon.

It will be found in any complete dictionary.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/lights

CDB

Dec 4, 2022, 8:03:57 AM12/4/22
On 12/3/2022 9:26 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
It appeared that some editions didn't include that definition.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 4, 2022, 12:16:37 PM12/4/22
M-W rightly recognize that "lights" meaning 'lungs' has no connection
with any of the modern words "light."

Jerry Friedman

Dec 4, 2022, 2:34:25 PM12/4/22
No, I just didn't realize I needed to look for "lights" rather than "light".
It is in the on-line M-W.

--
Jerry Friedman

CDB

Dec 5, 2022, 8:34:46 AM12/5/22
On 12/4/2022 12:16 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[lung, lung a gore, in a ladle wan-hearse torn coiled mutt fill ...]

> M-W rightly recognize that "lights" meaning 'lungs' has no
> connection with any of the modern words "light."

It seems to have a lot to do with the "light" that is the opposite of
"heavy".

--
From "Casing Adder Bet", innit. Printed in _Sports Illustrated_ in the
mid-fifties. The "mutt fill" part is coincidental.

Peter T. Daniels

Dec 5, 2022, 11:34:14 AM12/5/22
On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 8:34:46 AM UTC-5, CDB wrote:
> On 12/4/2022 12:16 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> [lung, lung a gore, in a ladle wan-hearse torn coiled mutt fill ...]
> > M-W rightly recognize that "lights" meaning 'lungs' has no
> > connection with any of the modern words "light."
>
> It seems to have a lot to do with the "light" that is the opposite of
> "heavy".

Etymological fallacy, anyone?

CDB

Dec 6, 2022, 8:17:31 AM12/6/22
On 12/5/2022 11:34 AM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> CDB wrote:
>> Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>> [lung, lung a gore, in a ladle wan-hearse torn coiled mutt fill
>> ...]

>>> M-W rightly recognize that "lights" meaning 'lungs' has no
>>> connection with any of the modern words "light."

>> It seems to have a lot to do with the "light" that is the opposite
>> of "heavy".

> Etymological fallacy, anyone?

Do tell.

Lungs considered as comestible: in the stewpot, they float above the rest.

Tak To

Dec 8, 2022, 12:47:10 PM12/8/22
I doubt it, especially if sliced.

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx

Jerry Friedman

Dec 8, 2022, 1:04:07 PM12/8/22
On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 10:47:10 AM UTC-7, Tak To wrote:
> On 12/6/2022 8:17 AM, CDB wrote:

> >> Etymological fallacy, anyone?
> >
> > Do tell.
> >
> > Lungs considered as comestible: in the stewpot, they float above the rest.

> I doubt it, especially if sliced.

They'll float in water, anyway.

https://floridachest.com/pulmonary-blog/lung-facts

Maybe not for long, especially if they're sliced.

--
Jerry Friedman

Sam Plusnet

Dec 8, 2022, 2:38:15 PM12/8/22
Aren't the alveoli filled with air?
That should ensure that, even when sliced, lung tissue would stay afloat.

--
Sam Plusnet

Jerry Friedman

Dec 8, 2022, 5:48:08 PM12/8/22
I imagine water would get in by the same paths the air takes. I have
no idea how long that would take.

--
Jerry Friedman

Tak To

Dec 9, 2022, 1:49:40 PM12/9/22
There is a lot of blood inside the lung. Culinary customs
vary, but if one wants to get rid of the blood[*] before
cooking, one would flush the organ with water many times
-- enough to fill all the alveoli with water.

Typically one would also make multiple punctures into the
organ to facilitate the flushing process.

[*] Blood has its own "gamy" flavor/smell and the tiny
cooked blood droplets look like dirt particles.

Jerry Friedman

Dec 9, 2022, 8:53:54 PM12/9/22
Here's another method, the first step in making "the Scotch haggis":

"Clean a sheep's pluck thoroughly, and make cuts in the heart and liver, to
let the blood flow out. Parboil the whole, letting the wind-pipe lie over the
side of the pot so as to disgorge the phlegm and blood from the lungs."

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Economical_and_complete_housekeeper

But what do I know?

A number of Web sources say you can't sell lungs as food in the U.S.

> [*] Blood has its own "gamy" flavor/smell and the tiny
> cooked blood droplets look like dirt particles.

As you say, traditions vary. You can still get black pudding in Britain.

--
Jerry Friedman

Snidely

Dec 10, 2022, 1:41:36 PM12/10/22
Sam Plusnet speculated:
I don't think so. They are filled with blood, and some air molecules
move through from the surface of the alveoli to become attached to red
cells, but the bulk of the air is exterior to the alveoli (the great
hollow volume that is the interior exterior of the lungs).

(your toes don't fill the yarns of your socks, either)

> That should ensure that, even when sliced, lung tissue would stay afloat.

Some cells are denser than others. Consider the grey matter, for
instance. Oh, that's the other "dense".

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?