all anyhow

arthurvv vart

Nov 27, 2021, 4:32:39 PM11/27/21
1) One doesn't write novels all anyhow.
2) One doesn't write novels anyhow.

Can '2' be used instead of '1'.

The idea is that writing novels cannot be done in any old fashion. You don't just make a novel the way you improvise a salad, so to speak.

Gratefully,
Navi

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 27, 2021, 4:46:06 PM11/27/21
(1) is utterly incomprehensible.

(2) says that (despite all the inducements that were just listed),
in spite of all that, one doesn't write novels. But "anyway" would
be better. This does not mean 'using any technique at all'.

arthurvv vart

Nov 28, 2021, 1:52:02 AM11/28/21
Thank you very much, Peter,

I heard this interview with Leonard Cohen and that was the only meaning I could come up with. I heard him use 'anyhow' and I thought he meant 'all anyhow'. I might be missing something here, or his usage might be regional or something. It is confusing.

From the beginning to 0:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4VYwK9fz4

The whole thing is interesting. It is pretty short. What he says at the end is pretty funny and at the same time somewhat touching.

Gratefully,
Navi

spains...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 6:27:01 AM11/28/21
Yes a nice clip.

"You don't write the songs anyhow", is what Leonard Cohen' actually says.
Songs are different to novels, and the "all anyhow" in your (1) is not in this clip.

Nevertheless...

"You don't write the songs anyhow".
"You don't write the songs all anyhow".

...are understandable in informal speech, provided they are given suitable emphasis.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 28, 2021, 10:09:44 AM11/28/21
On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:27:01 AM UTC-5, spains...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:52:02 AM UTC, arthurvv vart wrote:

> > > (1) is utterly incomprehensible.
> > >
> > > (2) says that (despite all the inducements that were just listed),
> > > in spite of all that, one doesn't write novels. But "anyway" would
> > > be better. This does not mean 'using any technique at all'.
> > Thank you very much, Peter,
> >
> > I heard this interview with Leonard Cohen and that was the only meaning I could come up with. I heard him use 'anyhow' and I thought he meant 'all anyhow'. I might be missing something here, or his usage might be regional or something. It is confusing.
> >
> > From the beginning to 0:14
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4VYwK9fz4
> >
> > The whole thing is interesting. It is pretty short. What he says at the end is pretty funny and at the same time somewhat touching.
> Yes a nice clip.
>
> "You don't write the songs anyhow", is what Leonard Cohen' actually says.
> Songs are different to novels, and the "all anyhow" in your (1) is not in this clip.

arthur-Navi has the horrible habit of not asking about sentences he has
actually heard, but of inventing sentences that he thinks are like the one
he heard, which then turn out not to be like it at all.

> Nevertheless...
>
> "You don't write the songs anyhow".
> "You don't write the songs all anyhow".
>
> ...are understandable in informal speech, provided they are given suitable emphasis.

Not by me, they're not.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 28, 2021, 11:40:43 AM11/28/21
I'd find 1 a lot easier to understand, and both seem rather old-fashioned. I'm
not sure I've ever /heard/ anyone use "anyhow" that way.

--
Jerry Friedman

bruce bowser

Nov 28, 2021, 11:53:53 AM11/28/21
On Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 4:46:06 PM UTC-5, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 4:32:39 PM UTC-5, arthurvv vart wrote:
>
> > 1) One doesn't write novels all anyhow.
> > 2) One doesn't write novels anyhow.
> >
> > Can '2' be used instead of '1'.
> >
> > The idea is that writing novels cannot be done in any old fashion.

But, there is no proof you cannot.

> > You don't just make a novel the way you improvise a salad, so to speak.

There is no proof you cannot, though taught ways might make it easier in many ways.

> (1) is utterly incomprehensible.

I understand it. 'One doesn't write novels' all [meaning all possible novels that could be written] anyhow [meaning written in just any manner].'
(which I disputed above)

spains...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 12:09:25 PM11/28/21
How about:

"You don't write the songs any old how"?

bil...@shaw.ca

Nov 28, 2021, 5:22:15 PM11/28/21
anyone lived in a pretty how town.

bill