Cream teas revisited

occam

May 23, 2022, 1:45:11 AM5/23/22

This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the largest
tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is being
organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.

The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea (cream
first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative Cornwall
formula of jam first.

Results pending. <don't hold your breath>

Hibou

May 23, 2022, 2:02:38 AM5/23/22
I think that's just personal preference; I doubt there's any difference
in chemistry or real taste - though there will be a difference in
texture where the mouth meets whichever's on top.

Perhaps more important - I've never understood it - is whether it's milk
first or tea first.

lar3ryca

May 23, 2022, 9:33:06 AM5/23/22
???

Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.

Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no?
But your "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the
scone (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone would do.

--
What do you call a fish without an eye?
Fsh.

charles

May 23, 2022, 10:18:01 AM5/23/22
In article <t6g2ed$juk$1...@dont-email.me>, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-05-22 23:45, occam wrote:
> >
> > This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
> > country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the largest
> > tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is being
> > organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
> >
> > The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea
> > (cream first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative
> > Cornwall formula of jam first.

> ???

> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.

> Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no? But your
> "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the scone
> (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone would do.

Some people like cream in their coffee, but I've never heard of it in tea.
If you haven't had a Devon Cream Tea, then you've missed one of life's
great experiencs.

> > Results pending. <don't hold your breath>

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Tony Cooper

May 23, 2022, 10:51:23 AM5/23/22
On Mon, 23 May 2022 15:17:08 +0100, charles <cha...@candehope.me.uk>
wrote:
I have had a Cream Tea in Windsor and in Harrowgate. To my
everlasting regret, I failed to notice if the clotted cream was first
or the jam was first in either place. I was not aware, at the time,
that this is a significent aspect.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

occam

May 23, 2022, 12:34:27 PM5/23/22
On 23/05/2022 15:32, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-05-22 23:45, occam wrote:
>>
>> This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
>> country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the largest
>> tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is being
>> organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
>>
>> The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea (cream
>> first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative Cornwall
>> formula of jam first.
>
> ???
>
> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.

Try this:

<https://www.thespruceeats.com/difference-cornish-vs-devon-cream-tea-435316>

> Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no?
> But your "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the
> scone (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone would
> do.

On the scone. Clotted cream if you do it right.

lar3ryca

May 23, 2022, 12:46:36 PM5/23/22
Ahh... 'clotted cream' would never have occurred to me when seeing the
word 'cream', which to me, defaults to a liquid that would definitely be
unsuitable for putting on a scone, even if it was 'whipping cream', the
thickest cream I am familiar with.

You do put it on a scone, right?

For use in cream tea, would it be sweetened?

--
I had amnesia once -- or twice

lar3ryca

May 23, 2022, 1:08:46 PM5/23/22
On 2022-05-23 10:34, occam wrote:
> On 23/05/2022 15:32, lar3ryca wrote:
>> On 2022-05-22 23:45, occam wrote:
>>>
>>> This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
>>> country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the largest
>>> tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is being
>>> organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
>>>
>>> The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea (cream
>>> first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative Cornwall
>>> formula of jam first.
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.
>
> Try this:
>
> <https://www.thespruceeats.com/difference-cornish-vs-devon-cream-tea-435316>

There's the answer, 'clotted cream" is "somewhere in between whipped
cream and butter, yellow and thick like butter but rich and creamy like
whipped cream".

If it isn't sweetened, I doubt I would like it. I can't abide the
flavour of milk, unless it's combined with something that masks its taste.

>> Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no?
>> But your "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the
>> scone (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone would
>> do.
>
> On the scone. Clotted cream if you do it right.
>

>>> Results pending. <don't hold your breath>

--
The past tense of William Shakespeare is Wouldiwas Shookspeared

GordonD

May 23, 2022, 1:11:29 PM5/23/22
Not quite as big a bone of contention as whether you open the pointed or
rounded end of a boiled egg.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

occam

May 23, 2022, 1:32:09 PM5/23/22
On 23/05/2022 19:08, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-05-23 10:34, occam wrote:

>>> ???
>>>
>>> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> <https://www.thespruceeats.com/difference-cornish-vs-devon-cream-tea-435316>
>>

> There's the answer, 'clotted cream" is "somewhere in between whipped
> cream and butter, yellow and thick like butter but rich and creamy like
> whipped cream".
>
> If it isn't sweetened, I doubt I would like it. I can't abide the
> flavour of milk, unless it's combined with something that masks its taste.

You are hankering after Chantilly.
<https://www.thespruceeats.com/vanilla-chantilly-cream-recipe-1375640>

Jerry Friedman

May 23, 2022, 1:43:33 PM5/23/22
On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 11:11:29 AM UTC-6, GordonD wrote:
> On 23/05/2022 15:51, Tony Cooper wrote:
> > I have had a Cream Tea in Windsor and in Harrowgate. To my
> > everlasting regret, I failed to notice if the clotted cream was first
> > or the jam was first in either place. I was not aware, at the time,
> > that this is a significent aspect.
> >
> Not quite as big a bone of contention as whether you open the pointed or
> rounded end of a boiled egg.

And how many minutes it was boiled for?

By the way, I feel safe in saying that the term "clotted cream" was invented
before there were marketing consultants.

--
Jerry Friedman

Sam Plusnet

May 23, 2022, 1:55:06 PM5/23/22
On 23-May-22 18:08, lar3ryca wrote:

> There's the answer, 'clotted cream" is "somewhere in between whipped
> cream and butter, yellow and thick like butter but rich and creamy like
> whipped cream".
>
> If it isn't sweetened, I doubt I would like it. I can't abide the
> flavour of milk, unless it's combined with something that masks its taste.

You can get rid of any offending clotted cream by sending it here
(choose a swift delivery service please). We can supply the scones,
butter and jam.

--
Sam Plusnet

charles

May 23, 2022, 2:12:08 PM5/23/22
In article <t6gf2m$qph$1...@dont-email.me>, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-05-23 10:34, occam wrote:

> >> ???
> >>
> >> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > <https://www.thespruceeats.com/difference-cornish-vs-devon-cream-tea-435316>

> There's the answer, 'clotted cream" is "somewhere in between whipped
> cream and butter, yellow and thick like butter but rich and creamy like
> whipped cream".

> If it isn't sweetened, I doubt I would like it. I can't abide the
> flavour of milk, unless it's combined with something that masks its taste.

you would get the sugar from the jam.

> >> Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no? But
> >> your "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the
> >> scone (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone
> >> would do.
> >
> > On the scone. Clotted cream if you do it right.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 23, 2022, 3:19:19 PM5/23/22
That'll be fine, its your arteries after all.
Chocolate Desert for me, ta,

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Richard Heathfield

May 23, 2022, 3:22:32 PM5/23/22
D'ya want sand with that?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 23, 2022, 3:55:28 PM5/23/22
On Mon, 23 May 2022 20:22:26 +0100
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

> On 23/05/2022 8:19 pm, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 May 2022 18:55:02 +0100
> > Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

> >> You can get rid of any offending clotted cream by sending it here
> >> (choose a swift delivery service please). We can supply the scones,
> >> butter and jam.
> >

> > That'll be fine, its your arteries after all.
> > Chocolate Desert for me, ta,
>
> D'ya want sand with that?

Yup. This is a grate plaice to post Inglush errers.

(Oh dear)

Lewis

May 23, 2022, 6:01:53 PM5/23/22
In message <59ed208d...@candehope.me.uk> charles <cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <t6g2ed$juk$1...@dont-email.me>, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:
>> On 2022-05-22 23:45, occam wrote:
>> >
>> > This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
>> > country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the largest
>> > tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is being
>> > organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
>> >
>> > The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea
>> > (cream first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative
>> > Cornwall formula of jam first.

>> ???

>> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.

>> Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no? But your
>> "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the scone
>> (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone would do.

> Some people like cream in their coffee, but I've never heard of it in tea.
> If you haven't had a Devon Cream Tea, then you've missed one of life's
> great experiencs.

Neither cream nor jam goes IN the tea. And it makes no difference at all
as to the order.

--
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time,
somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set

lar3ryca

May 23, 2022, 6:02:15 PM5/23/22
We tend to use the non-dairy, low calorie, whipped-cream-like product.
Sweet, flavoured with vanilla, very tasty, and easy to use.

--
I use the smoke alarm as my cooking timer.

Lewis

May 23, 2022, 6:03:46 PM5/23/22
My wife makes it as it's not possible to buy it here. There was a tea
shop that had it at reasonable cost, but it was an early victim of the
pandemic.

--
Do Alaska and Hawaii have Interstate Highways?

lar3ryca

May 23, 2022, 6:04:36 PM5/23/22
On 2022-05-23 12:05, charles wrote:
> In article <t6gf2m$qph$1...@dont-email.me>, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> Try this:
>>>
>>> <https://www.thespruceeats.com/difference-cornish-vs-devon-cream-tea-435316>
>
>> There's the answer, 'clotted cream" is "somewhere in between whipped
>> cream and butter, yellow and thick like butter but rich and creamy like
>> whipped cream".
>
>> If it isn't sweetened, I doubt I would like it. I can't abide the
>> flavour of milk, unless it's combined with something that masks its taste.
>
> you would get the sugar from the jam.

But separately, no?

--
Three programmers walk into a bar.
One of them holds up two fingers and says "Three beers".

Peter Moylan

May 23, 2022, 9:27:15 PM5/23/22
They're usually called Devonshire teas in Australia. Despite this, most
of us find it too difficult to spread jam on top of the cream, so we put
the jam on first.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 24, 2022, 3:00:35 AM5/24/22
On 2022-05-24 01:27:11 +0000, Peter Moylan said:

> On 23/05/22 15:45, occam wrote:
>>
>> This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
>> country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the
>> largest tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is
>> being organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
>>
>> The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea
>> (cream first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative
>> Cornwall formula of jam first.

There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
liquid would be too expensive.

>> Results pending. <don't hold your breath>
>
> They're usually called Devonshire teas in Australia. Despite this, most
> of us find it too difficult to spread jam on top of the cream, so we put
> the jam on first.

Despite being born in Devon and spending a substantial part of my life
in Devon I've never had a cream tea, or wanted to have one. We tended
to think of the tea-shops that offered them as overpriced places that
catered to grockles with plenty of money. I have, however, had
Devonshire cream, and even seen it being made, but in general I find it
too rich for anything other than accompanying sour fruit like rhubarb.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

occam

May 24, 2022, 3:37:21 AM5/24/22
On 24/05/2022 09:00, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> Despite being born in Devon and spending a substantial part of my life
> in Devon I've never had a cream tea, or wanted to have one.

Shock, horror! Next you are going to tell us that, despite being a
French citizen, you have never been up the Eiffel Tower or you have
never wanted to have a baguette!

We tended to
> think of the tea-shops that offered them as overpriced places that
> catered to grockles with plenty of money.

I plead guilty to several charges of having had cream tea while being
under the influence of tourism. ('Grockle' is a word I have not heard
for over 40 years. Last I heard it, it was uttered by a university
friend from Penzance.)

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 24, 2022, 4:11:29 AM5/24/22
Back in the day it was a feat of endurance; the Wellknown Cream tea (cafe?) in Newton Poppleford
hauled in the Grockles, but a lot of them couldn't handle the full plate; enterprising students would starve themselves for 3 days, buy 1 cream tea and gorge themselves potty on the cloresterol mountain that the other punters had left behind.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

May 24, 2022, 8:04:09 AM5/24/22
There are two different, but related, senses of "tea" being used here.
https://www.lexico.com/definition/tea

1 mass noun A hot drink made by infusing the dried crushed leaves of
the tea plant in boiling water.

3 mainly British A light afternoon meal consisting typically of tea
to drink, sandwiches, and cakes.

"cream tea" does not refer to the drink having cream in it:
https://www.lexico.com/definition/cream_tea

British

A light meal taken in the afternoon consisting of tea to drink with
scones, jam, and cream.

The phrase "cream tea" is often used to refer to scones with jam and
cream.

OED:
cream tea n. afternoon tea which includes bread or scones with jam
and clotted cream.

1964 P. M. Hubbard Pict. Millie viii. 74 We just bathe and moon
about and eat cream teas.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

lar3ryca

May 24, 2022, 9:32:28 AM5/24/22
On 2022-05-24 01:00, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-05-24 01:27:11 +0000, Peter Moylan said:
>
>> On 23/05/22 15:45, occam wrote:
>>>
>>> This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
>>> country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the
>>> largest tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is
>>> being organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
>>>
>>> The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea
>>> (cream first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative
>>> Cornwall formula of jam first.
>
> There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
> Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk, while
> Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past tense
> because I suspect that the commercial product today is always made the
> Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted liquid
> would be too expensive.

Is 'skim milk' (milk with no cream), or '1% milk' (milk with only 1%
cream) available in the UK? If so, yes, it would be throwing away
revenue to discard the unwanted liquid.

>>> Results pending. <don't hold your breath>
>>
>> They're usually called Devonshire teas in Australia. Despite this, most
>> of us find it too difficult to spread jam on top of the cream, so we put
>> the jam on first.
>
> Despite being born in Devon and spending a substantial part of my life
> in Devon I've never had a cream tea, or wanted to have one. We tended to
> think of the tea-shops that offered them as overpriced places that
> catered to grockles with plenty of money. I have, however, had
> Devonshire cream, and even seen it being made, but in general I find it
> too rich for anything other than accompanying sour fruit like rhubarb.

--
"Is the epididymis like the urethra?"
"No. There's a vas deferens between them."

charles

May 24, 2022, 10:03:02 AM5/24/22
In article <t6imp8$ui5$1...@dont-email.me>, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-05-24 01:00, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> > There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
> > Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
> > while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
> > tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
> > made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
> > liquid would be too expensive.

> Is 'skim milk' (milk with no cream), or '1% milk' (milk with only 1%
> cream) available in the UK? If so, yes, it would be throwing away
> revenue to discard the unwanted liquid.

At the time clotted cream was invented, there was no refigeration, nor was
there a market for skimmed milk.

Peter T. Daniels

May 24, 2022, 10:24:16 AM5/24/22
On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 4:11:29 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> Back in the day it was a feat of endurance; the Wellknown Cream tea (cafe?) in Newton Poppleford
> hauled in the Grockles, but a lot of them couldn't handle the full plate; enterprising students would starve themselves for 3 days, buy 1 cream tea and gorge themselves potty on the cloresterol mountain that the other punters had left behind.

Do tea shoppes,or that one, not bus the tables after the patrons leave?

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 24, 2022, 12:34:45 PM5/24/22
On Tue, 24 May 2022 07:24:13 -0700 (PDT)
"Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 4:11:29 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>
> > Back in the day it was a feat of endurance; the Wellknown Cream tea (cafe?) in Newton Poppleford
> > hauled in the Grockles, but a lot of them couldn't handle the full plate; enterprising students would starve themselves for 3 days, buy 1 cream tea and gorge themselves potty on the cloresterol mountain that the other punters had left behind.

chloresterol

> Do tea shoppes,or that one, not bus the tables after the patrons leave?

Not as quickly as the patrons were bussed off on their site-seeing adventure.
Or as quickly as the starving students purloined the extras (They weren't hoovering every plate, just collecting the extra bowls of cream & jam).

And it was al-fresco, with lots of people meebing about between the tables bedecked with red-checkie tablecloths.

Sn!pe

May 24, 2022, 2:45:11 PM5/24/22
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2022 07:24:13 -0700 (PDT)
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 4:11:29 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> >
> > > [...] the cloresterol mountain that the other punters had left behind.
>
> chloresterol

cholesterol (PMFJI)

--
^Ï^ Slava Ukraini

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Lewis

May 24, 2022, 4:23:53 PM5/24/22
In message <jf3e4f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
> Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
> while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
> tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
> made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
> liquid would be too expensive.

That is how my wife makes it, and the part you throw away is basically
whey, all the good bits are in the cream.

--
Technically, Aziraphale was a Principality, but people made jokes
about that these days

Peter T. Daniels

May 24, 2022, 4:56:08 PM5/24/22
On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 12:34:45 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2022 07:24:13 -0700 (PDT)
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 4:11:29 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> > > Back in the day it was a feat of endurance; the Wellknown Cream tea (cafe?) in Newton Poppleford
> > > hauled in the Grockles, but a lot of them couldn't handle the full plate; enterprising students would starve themselves for 3 days, buy 1 cream tea and gorge themselves potty on the cloresterol mountain that the other punters had left behind.
>
> chloresterol

Yes, shocking, wasn't it?

> > Do tea shoppes,or that one, not bus the tables after the patrons leave?
>
> Not as quickly as the patrons were bussed off on their site-seeing adventure.
> Or as quickly as the starving students purloined the extras (They weren't hoovering every plate, just collecting the extra bowls of cream & jam).
>
> And it was al-fresco, with lots of people meebing about between the tables bedecked with red-checkie tablecloths.

meebing?

Typically one wouldn't bedeck oneself with a red-checked tablecloth
unless one had been indulging in something untoward.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 24, 2022, 4:58:47 PM5/24/22
On Tue, 24 May 2022 19:45:07 +0100
snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 24 May 2022 07:24:13 -0700 (PDT)

> > chloresterol
>
> cholesterol (PMFJI)

Aw, I was getting nearer to getting it right!

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 24, 2022, 5:03:56 PM5/24/22
On Tue, 24 May 2022 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
"Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 12:34:45 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 May 2022 07:24:13 -0700 (PDT)

> > chloresterol
>
> Yes, shocking, wasn't it?
>
> > > Do tea shoppes,or that one, not bus the tables after the patrons leave?
> >
> > Not as quickly as the patrons were bussed off on their site-seeing adventure.
> > Or as quickly as the starving students purloined the extras (They weren't hoovering every plate, just collecting the extra bowls of cream & jam).
> >
> > And it was al-fresco, with lots of people meebing about between the tables bedecked with red-checkie tablecloths.
>
> meebing?

Movement like that of an amoeba.

Peter T. Daniels

May 24, 2022, 5:13:38 PM5/24/22
On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 5:03:56 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2022 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 12:34:45 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> > > chloresterol
> > Yes, shocking, wasn't it?
> > > Not as quickly as the patrons were bussed off on their site-seeing adventure.
> > > Or as quickly as the starving students purloined the extras (They weren't hoovering every plate, just collecting the extra bowls of cream & jam).
> > > And it was al-fresco, with lots of people meebing about between the tables bedecked with red-checkie tablecloths.
> > meebing?
>
> Movement like that of an amoeba.

Not bad. It didn't seem to be a typo, but might have been -- same finger.

Quinn C

May 24, 2022, 6:08:02 PM5/24/22
* Peter Duncanson [BrE]:

> On Mon, 23 May 2022 07:32:59 -0600, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-05-22 23:45, occam wrote:
>>>
>>> This morning there is a BBC 'news' item about a lady in Devon (West
>>> country, S. England) trying to establish a new record for the largest
>>> tea-party ever, hoping to attract some 1500 attendees. It is being
>>> organised on the occasion of the Queen's platinum jubilee.
>>>
>>> The sideline of the story is that the Devon approach to cream tea (cream
>>> first, jam on top) is the better way, to the alternative Cornwall
>>> formula of jam first.
>>
>>???
>>
>>Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help much.
>>
>>Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no?
>>But your "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go on the
>>scone (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like something anyone would do.
>>
>>> Results pending. <don't hold your breath>
>
> There are two different, but related, senses of "tea" being used here.
> https://www.lexico.com/definition/tea
>
> 1 mass noun A hot drink made by infusing the dried crushed leaves of
> the tea plant in boiling water.
>
> 3 mainly British A light afternoon meal consisting typically of tea
> to drink, sandwiches, and cakes.
>
> "cream tea" does not refer to the drink having cream in it:
> https://www.lexico.com/definition/cream_tea

I'm pretty sure the time I had afternoon tea, I had a London Fog with
it. But that's made with milk in the tea, not cream.

--
If men got pregnant, you could get an abortion at an ATM.
-- Selina Mayer, VEEP

Ken Blake

May 24, 2022, 7:03:30 PM5/24/22
I thought a London Fog was made from Cotton.

Ken Blake

May 24, 2022, 7:04:19 PM5/24/22
On Tue, 24 May 2022 20:23:49 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

>In message <jf3e4f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>> There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
>> Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
>> while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
>> tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
>> made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
>> liquid would be too expensive.
>
>That is how my wife makes it, and the part you throw away

The part you throw a whey?

Snidely

May 24, 2022, 7:14:04 PM5/24/22
Lewis scribbled something on Tuesday the 5/24/2022:
> In message <jf3e4f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden
> <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>> There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
>> Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
>> while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
>> tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
>> made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
>> liquid would be too expensive.
>
> That is how my wife makes it, and the part you throw away is basically
> whey, all the good bits are in the cream.

As Little Miss Muffet said, "Cheese it, the spider cops it all"

/dps "In California, much whey makes it way back to the cows"

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are

lar3ryca

May 24, 2022, 8:30:08 PM5/24/22
Honing in on it, were you?

--
The older I get, the smarter I was.

Lewis

May 24, 2022, 9:13:57 PM5/24/22
smoetimes it is made with early grey tea and steamed milk and vanilla
syrup.

--
I'll trade you 223 Wesley Crushers for your Captain Picard

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 25, 2022, 1:37:11 AM5/25/22
On 2022-05-24 20:23:49 +0000, Lewis said:

> In message <jf3e4f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden
> <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>> There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
>> Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
>> while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
>> tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
>> made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
>> liquid would be too expensive.
>
> That is how my wife makes it, and the part you throw away is basically
> whey, all the good bits are in the cream.

Where do you get whole milk (not homogenized) from in the USA? OK if
you live on a dairy farm, but if you buy it from the supermarket?

Lewis

May 25, 2022, 3:16:59 AM5/25/22
You can definitely get un-homogenized milk. I think the starting point
for the clotted cream is cream, however, heavy whipping cream would be
my guess.

--
'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I
don't depend on me, and I'm me.'

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 25, 2022, 4:57:29 AM5/25/22
On Tue, 24 May 2022 14:13:36 -0700 (PDT)
"Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 5:03:56 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 May 2022 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Yes, shocking, wasn't it?
> > > meebing?
> >
> > Movement like that of an amoeba.

It was an in-joke amongst a small group of us many years ago; it was coined by frustration at people getting in the way of our cooking.

> Not bad. It didn't seem to be a typo, but might have been -- same finger.

I don't understand what you're tring to say. e & o are far apart on my keyboard.

> > > Typically one wouldn't bedeck oneself with a red-checked tablecloth
> > > unless one had been indulging in something untoward.

Well spotted.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 25, 2022, 5:08:00 AM5/25/22
At least it's not horning in. Yet.

Janet

May 25, 2022, 7:40:41 AM5/25/22
In article <t6imp8$ui5$1...@dont-email.me>, la...@invalid.ca says...

> On 2022-05-24 01:00, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> > There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
> > Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk, while
> > Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past tense
> > because I suspect that the commercial product today is always made the
> > Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted liquid
> > would be too expensive.
>
> Is 'skim milk' (milk with no cream), or '1% milk' (milk with only 1%
> cream) available in the UK?

Of course.

If so, yes, it would be throwing away
> revenue to discard the unwanted liquid.

It's neither unwanted or discarded. I leave it to you to google
"buttermilk" and "whey".

Back to clotted cream.

https://www.devonheaven.co.uk/blogs/news/our-guide-to-clotted-cream

quote

"Minimum fat content allowed in each type of cream:
Half cream - 12% fat
Single cream - 18% fat
Extra thick double cream - 48% fat
Clotted cream - 55% fat (55% is the minimum, typically its around 63%)

The colour, consistency and taste of clotted cream are affected by the
breed of cow, the type of food they eat, their pasture and the method of
cream production. Cows are often indoors during the winter months and
outside for the summer, butterfat levels are usually best in the middle
of summer when the cows have settled into outdoor living. The higher the
butterfat in the milk the richer and more coloured the clotted cream.
Jersey and Guernsey breeds of cow are said to produce the highest
buttermilk content.
Differences Between Cornish and Devonshire Clotted Cream

Both Devonshire and Cornish clotted cream is produced using the same or
similar methods, the main difference comes from the cows pastures (the
better the cows diet the better the clotted cream). The conditions
required to produce the best pastures don?t exactly follow county
boundaries however generally Devon has more varied, deeper soils ideal
for dairy farming. On the other hand, Cornish dairy farmers benefit from
slightly milder winters and more rainfall both of which can benefit the
cows so it?s hard to say that one county is clearly better than the
other for dairy farming. "

Janet

Janet

May 25, 2022, 8:06:42 AM5/25/22
In article <59eda27c...@candehope.me.uk>, cha...@candehope.me.uk
says...
> At the time clotted cream was invented, there was no refigeration, nor was
> there a market for skimmed milk.

Skimmed milk ("buttermilk" and "whey" were used in the production of
farm /peasant cheeses for human consumption, like ricotta and cottage
cheese. They were also used on baking (preferred ingredient of scones,
pancakes, breads)

Back then, most farms kept a range of livestock. Any left-over skimmed
milk ( "buttermilk, whey"") was drunk by people, pigs, herding dogs, and
the cats used to keep down vermin.

Janet

Janet

May 25, 2022, 8:11:32 AM5/25/22
In article <slrnt8qfml....@zephyrus.local>, g.k...@kreme.dont-
email.me says...

> In message <jf3e4f...@mid.individual.net> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> > There was also a traditional difference in the way they were made:
> > Cornish cream was made from cream already separated from the milk,
> > while Devonshire cream was made from whole milk. I put it in the past
> > tense because I suspect that the commercial product today is always
> > made the Cornish way: using whole milk and throwing away the unwanted
> > liquid would be too expensive.
>
> That is how my wife makes it, and the part you throw away is basically
> whey, all the good bits are in the cream.

I refer you to Miss Muffet.

Janet

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 25, 2022, 8:30:42 AM5/25/22
On 2022-05-25 11:40:35 +0000, Janet said:

> [ … ]

> Both Devonshire and Cornish clotted cream is produced using the same or
> similar methods, the main difference comes from the cows pastures (the
> better the cows diet the better the clotted cream). The conditions
> required to produce the best pastures don?t exactly follow county
> boundaries

Yes, though the boundary between Devon and Cornwall is less arbitrary
(especially since the redrawing in the 19th century) than most,
following the River Tamar over much of its length.

> however generally Devon has more varied, deeper soils ideal
> for dairy farming. On the other hand, Cornish dairy farmers benefit from
> slightly milder winters and more rainfall both of which can benefit the
> cows so it?s hard to say that one county is clearly better than the
> other for dairy farming. "
>
> Janet

Jerry Friedman

May 25, 2022, 9:58:03 AM5/25/22
You and Lewis do understand that skim milk, buttermilk, and whey are three
different things, right?

--
Jerry Friedman

Peter T. Daniels

May 25, 2022, 11:17:58 AM5/25/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 4:57:29 AM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2022 14:13:36 -0700 (PDT)
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 5:03:56 PM UTC-4, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> > > Movement like that of an amoeba.
>
> It was an in-joke amongst a small group of us many years ago; it was coined by frustration at people getting in the way of our cooking.
>
> > Not bad. It didn't seem to be a typo, but might have been -- same finger.
>
> I don't understand what you're tring to say. e & o are far apart on my keyboard.

b & t

Peter T. Daniels

May 25, 2022, 11:20:50 AM5/25/22
That's definitely not the meaning of "buttermilk" in AmE. Buttermilk
tastes sour and is very thick and is used in some baking. (Some
people actually drink it.) "Whey" is the thin residue left after some
process is done to milk.

Garrett Wollman

May 25, 2022, 11:48:15 AM5/25/22
In article <MPG.3cf8260e5...@news.individual.net>,
Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:
> It's neither unwanted or discarded. I leave it to you to google
>"buttermilk" and "whey".

Buttermilk is a fermented milk product; most butter manufactured today
is sweet cream butter rather than cultured, necessitating the
decoupling of the manufacturing process for buttermilk.
(Historically, buttermilk was the leftover liquid after cultured cream
was churned to make butter, but that's not what you'll find in the
supermarket.) Whey is the liquid left over after milk has been
coagulated for cheese-making; at a large scale, it is reprocessed to
make nutritional products and animal feed, and at a smaller scale, it
is used to make ricotta.

Dairy products cause serious problems if mixed in large quantities in
the wastewater stream, requiring manufacturing facilities to pre-treat
their waste at significant expense if they can't find a way to turn
excess into another product.

-GAWollman

wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Garrett Wollman

May 25, 2022, 11:53:18 AM5/25/22
In article <jf5tk1...@mid.individual.net>,
Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:

>Where do you get whole milk (not homogenized) from in the USA?

Those are not synonyms.

Whole milk is defined to be fluid milk with at least 3.5% butterfat.
Nearly all of it is homogenized for retail sale, although premium
"creamline" milk is available from some dairies and sold in some
stores.[1] A small minority of dairies actually put as much of the fat
back in as they took out; most put exactly 3.5% back in.

-GAWollman

[1] Whole Foods used to sell it, a few different brands, but has
dumped most specialty milk products in favor of the ever-increasing
variety of currently trendy fake milk.

Jerry Friedman

May 25, 2022, 12:33:43 PM5/25/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 9:48:15 AM UTC-6, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <MPG.3cf8260e5...@news.individual.net>,
> Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:
> > It's neither unwanted or discarded. I leave it to you to google
> >"buttermilk" and "whey".
> Buttermilk is a fermented milk product;

Mostly, and most Google hits for "sweet buttermilk" are for ways to
make it at home and for recipes for sweet things that contain
cultured buttermilk (sweet buttermilk cornbread), but Bob's Red Mill
does offer powdered sweet buttermilk.

> most butter manufactured today
> is sweet cream butter rather than cultured, necessitating the
> decoupling of the manufacturing process for buttermilk.
> (Historically, buttermilk was the leftover liquid after cultured cream
> was churned to make butter, but that's not what you'll find in the
> supermarket.)

What I'll find in the supermarket, including when it's an ingredient in
ranch dressing or pancake mix, is the leftover liquid after uncultured
cream is churned to make butter, which liquid is then fermented,
right?

> Whey is the liquid left over after milk has been
> coagulated for cheese-making; at a large scale, it is reprocessed to
> make nutritional products and animal feed, and at a smaller scale, it
> is used to make ricotta.

I did not know that. Apparently the rennet coagulates the casein, but
you can still coagulate the other protein (albumin and globulin, says
Wikipedia) by heating it.

> Dairy products cause serious problems if mixed in large quantities in
> the wastewater stream, requiring manufacturing facilities to pre-treat
> their waste at significant expense if they can't find a way to turn
> excess into another product.

I didn't know that either.

--
Jerry Friedman

Garrett Wollman

May 25, 2022, 2:50:59 PM5/25/22
In article <6467a346-8537-4277...@googlegroups.com>,
Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What I'll find in the supermarket, including when it's an ingredient in
>ranch dressing or pancake mix, is the leftover liquid after uncultured
>cream is churned to make butter, which liquid is then fermented,
>right?

That's plausible. I'm not sure that "dehydrated buttermilk" is made
by the same process as modern "cultured buttermilk". (I have a
buttermilk cookbook at home but I'm not home right now and it's been a
while since I read the introduction.) It may be a mixture of multiple
dairy by-products, depending on cost and availability. The liquid
cultured buttermilk I see in stores is "fat-free"[1].

>> [I wrote:]
>> Dairy products cause serious problems if mixed in large quantities in
>> the wastewater stream, requiring manufacturing facilities to pre-treat
>> their waste at significant expense if they can't find a way to turn
>> excess into another product.
>
>I didn't know that either.

It was a big deal in Vermont. I remember Ben & Jerry's settling an
environmental lawsuit by building a pre-treatment facility for their
dairy waste at the factory in Waterbury -- that waste could not be
upcycled because it was wash water from the ice-cream manufacturing
equipment as it was cleaned between batches.

-GAWollman

[1] Within food labeling law limits for such a claim, which doesn't
mean that it has no fat in it. (Cooking spray is also "fat-free"
despite being nothing but fat.)

Sam Plusnet

May 25, 2022, 3:36:56 PM5/25/22
I think English should take the iterative approach to spelling.
I'm sure we would be all the better for it.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

May 25, 2022, 3:41:26 PM5/25/22
Aue is a bad influence.
I found myself dropping the final "t".

--
Sam Plusnet

Peter T. Daniels

May 25, 2022, 3:57:17 PM5/25/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 11:48:15 AM UTC-4, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Whey is the liquid left over after milk has been
> coagulated for cheese-making; at a large scale, it is reprocessed to
> make nutritional products and animal feed, and at a smaller scale, it
> is used to make ricotta.

Isn't ricotta a ewe (sheep) cheese?

Janet

May 25, 2022, 4:24:07 PM5/25/22
In article <t6lj3q$1st7$1...@usenet.csail.mit.edu>, wol...@bimajority.org
says...

> In article <MPG.3cf8260e5...@news.individual.net>,
> Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:
> > It's neither unwanted or discarded. I leave it to you to google
> >"buttermilk" and "whey".
>
> Buttermilk is a fermented milk product; most butter manufactured today
> is sweet cream butter rather than cultured, necessitating the
> decoupling of the manufacturing process for buttermilk.

But that's in USA.

> (Historically, buttermilk was the leftover liquid after cultured cream
> was churned to make butter, but that's not what you'll find in the
> supermarket.)

We are talking about the making of clotted cream.

Clotted cream is traditionally
made from whole unpasteurised rised rich milk from grassfed cows.

The traditional method is to separate the cream from the milk. Then
the cream is very gently heated for 12 hours, during which during which
it's slightly cultured naturally by air bacteria. It sets and "clots"
into a thick crust of dense cream with a yellow buttery top. This
crust is then lifted off, and refrigerated to thicken it further. That's
clotted cream.

The thin liquid left behind under the crust is oldfashioned
buttermilk.

Janet

CDB

May 25, 2022, 4:47:00 PM5/25/22
On 5/23/2022 6:01 PM, Lewis wrote:
> charles <cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
>> lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> ???

>>> Found the term 'cream tea' on onelook.com, but it didn't help
>>> much.

>>> Shirley the jam goes on the scone and the cream in the tea, no?
>>> But your "cream first, jam on top" seems to indicate that both go
>>> on the scone (or perhaps in the tea). Neither seems like
>>> something anyone would do.

>> Some people like cream in their coffee, but I've never heard of it
>> in tea. If you haven't had a Devon Cream Tea, then you've missed
>> one of life's great experiencs.

> Neither cream nor jam goes IN the tea. And it makes no difference at
> all as to the order.

You used to be able to get Polish rose-petal jam at a delicatessen
downtown. My grandmother used it to sweeten her tea (wasn't bad, but
the petals were a nuisance).

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 25, 2022, 4:50:03 PM5/25/22
Buffay, Duvay?

CDB

May 25, 2022, 4:54:59 PM5/25/22
On 5/24/2022 12:34 PM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> "Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>>> Back in the day it was a feat of endurance; the Wellknown Cream
>>> tea (cafe?) in Newton Poppleford hauled in the Grockles, but a
>>> lot of them couldn't handle the full plate; enterprising students
>>> would starve themselves for 3 days, buy 1 cream tea and gorge
>>> themselves potty on the cloresterol mountain that the other
>>> punters had left behind.

> chloresterol

Eating themselves green-sickly, eh?

>> Do tea shoppes,or that one, not bus the tables after the patrons
>> leave?

> Not as quickly as the patrons were bussed off on their site-seeing
> adventure. Or as quickly as the starving students purloined the
> extras (They weren't hoovering every plate, just collecting the extra
> bowls of cream & jam).

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 25, 2022, 5:16:16 PM5/25/22
On Wed, 25 May 2022 16:54:53 -0400
CDB <belle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/24/2022 12:34 PM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> > chloresterol
>
> Eating themselves green-sickly, eh?

Chloroplastered.

> >> Do tea shoppes,or that one, not bus the tables after the patrons
> >> leave?
>
> > Not as quickly as the patrons were bussed off on their site-seeing
> > adventure. Or as quickly as the starving students purloined the
> > extras (They weren't hoovering every plate, just collecting the extra
> > bowls of cream & jam).
>
> > And it was al-fresco, with lots of people meebing about between the
> > tables bedecked with red-checkie tablecloths.

Anders D. Nygaard

May 25, 2022, 5:25:18 PM5/25/22
Den 25-05-2022 kl. 20:50 skrev Garrett Wollman:
> [...] The liquid
> cultured buttermilk I see in stores is "fat-free"[1].
> [...]
> [1] Within food labeling law limits for such a claim, which doesn't
> mean that it has no fat in it. (Cooking spray is also "fat-free"
> despite being nothing but fat.)

I've heard of many weird laws, and many absurd consequences of laws,
but this ranks as one of the more preposterous.

/Anders, Denmark

Quinn C

May 25, 2022, 5:39:47 PM5/25/22
* Garrett Wollman:

> In article <6467a346-8537-4277...@googlegroups.com>,
> Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>What I'll find in the supermarket, including when it's an ingredient in
>>ranch dressing or pancake mix, is the leftover liquid after uncultured
>>cream is churned to make butter, which liquid is then fermented,
>>right?
>
> That's plausible. I'm not sure that "dehydrated buttermilk" is made
> by the same process as modern "cultured buttermilk". (I have a
> buttermilk cookbook at home but I'm not home right now and it's been a
> while since I read the introduction.) It may be a mixture of multiple
> dairy by-products, depending on cost and availability. The liquid
> cultured buttermilk I see in stores is "fat-free"[1].
> [...]

> [1] Within food labeling law limits for such a claim, which doesn't
> mean that it has no fat in it. (Cooking spray is also "fat-free"
> despite being nothing but fat.)

Yeah, those are fun. "Zero fat" milk can have up to 0.5% fat in the US,
but not in Germany, where it's usually labeled "0.3%". "Non-alcoholic"
beer can have up to 0.5% alcohol in Germany, but not in the US ...

--
... speaking the right words might not make you a good person,
but the wrong ones have real and destructive consequences.

Quinn C

May 25, 2022, 5:39:52 PM5/25/22
* Garrett Wollman:

> In article <jf5tk1...@mid.individual.net>,
> Athel Cornish-Bowden <acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>
>>Where do you get whole milk (not homogenized) from in the USA?
>
> Those are not synonyms.
>
> Whole milk is defined to be fluid milk with at least 3.5% butterfat.
> Nearly all of it is homogenized for retail sale, although premium
> "creamline" milk is available from some dairies and sold in some
> stores.[1] A small minority of dairies actually put as much of the fat
> back in as they took out; most put exactly 3.5% back in.

In Japan, of all places, I used to buy 4.2% "Jersey" milk.

--
New Zealand - or as we call it in South Africa: New Zedland ...
-- Trevor Noah

Garrett Wollman

May 25, 2022, 6:17:09 PM5/25/22
In article <t6m6rq$b41$1...@dont-email.me>,
It's just a consequence of the rounding rules. Anything less than 0.5
(grams per serving, in this case) can be rounded down to zero, and
cooking spray is about 300 mg per "serving".

The rounding rules are there because many of the measurements are not
actually that precise (or depend on factors outside the manufacturer's
control), and the error bars on a "serving" are quite large as well.
It's not desirable to give a misleadingly high precision, but
sometimes this gives counterintuitive results.

-GAWollman

Garrett Wollman

May 25, 2022, 6:28:02 PM5/25/22
In article <bflfe8py...@mid.crommatograph.info>,
Quinn C <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
>* Garrett Wollman:
>> Whole milk is defined to be fluid milk with at least 3.5% butterfat.
>> Nearly all of it is homogenized for retail sale, although premium
>> "creamline" milk is available from some dairies and sold in some
>> stores.[1] A small minority of dairies actually put as much of the fat
>> back in as they took out; most put exactly 3.5% back in.
>
>In Japan, of all places, I used to buy 4.2% "Jersey" milk.

One of the semi-local dairies here specializes in Jersey milk.
Jerseys are less popular breed, because they don't produce as much as
other breeds, especially Holsteins. (Much of the New England dairy
herd is Holsteins, which is why their distinctive spotted coat pattern
featured heavily in Ben & Jerry's graphic identity in the 1980s and
1990s.) Jersey cows put less water in their milk, and therefore on a
weight-per-volume basis, more fat and more protein.

-GAWollman

Paul Wolff

May 25, 2022, 6:35:17 PM5/25/22
On Wed, 25 May 2022, at 18:50:55, Garrett Wollman posted:

>The liquid cultured buttermilk I see in stores is "fat-free"[1].

<Excision>

>[1] Within food labeling law limits for such a claim, which doesn't
>mean that it has no fat in it. (Cooking spray is also "fat-free"
>despite being nothing but fat.)

Might it not be oil? Oils and fats are different species to many of us.

Eg: <https://pediaa.com/difference-between-fats-and-oils/>
--
Paul

lar3ryca

May 25, 2022, 7:17:26 PM5/25/22
Seen on a bag of peanuts:
Caution. May contain peanuts.

--
Yeah, Windows is great... I used it to download Linux.

lar3ryca

May 25, 2022, 7:18:51 PM5/25/22
On 2022-05-25 15:25, Anders D. Nygaard wrote:
Seen on a bag of peanuts:
Caution. May contain peanuts.

--
They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Jerry Friedman

May 25, 2022, 8:38:43 PM5/25/22
On American nutrition labels, oil is considered fat. Apparently, the
criterion for "fat-free" is less the 0.5 g of fat per serving, and the
people who make oil sprays have convinced the USDA that a "serving"
is a quick spray, something like 0.3 g.

--
Jerry Friedman

Snidely

May 30, 2022, 7:27:51 AM5/30/22
Jerry Friedman scribbled something on Wednesday the 5/25/2022:
And if it's olive oil, it's about the most expensive low quality olive
oil you can buy.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered