Re: Mystery Fruit: Can you tell me what this is?

bruce bowser

Aug 14, 2022, 12:38:17 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, February 16, 2003 at 8:24:31 AM UTC-5, rosie wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> In article <c15632fe.03021...@posting.google.com>,
> andrew_...@hotmail.com (ac) writes:
> >
> >This summer, I bought a strange fruit from a local Bangladeshi fruit
> >vendor. I asked him what it was, and he only said "Kanapa."
> >
> >The fruit was kind of grape-like in the way it came in a bunch and was
> >green. But each one of the orbs was little bigger than a grape, and
> >smaller than a lime, and had a firm rind-like around it, and a huge
> >pit -- so there was only a little flesh in the middle.

'Kanapa' or 'Limincillo', like a mini-lime in every way.

-- https://www.google.com/search?q=Limoncillo&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjisbzv3sb5AhWOrnIEHTQICkEQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=Limoncillo&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIECCMQJzIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABFCgB1igB2D-CmgAcAB4AIABJ4gBTZIBATKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=ZyH5YqLiBI7dytMPtJCoiAQ&bih=928&biw=929&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS1018US1018

Different from 'Limincello', not Lemoncello, but 'Limincello' an Italian liqeuer.

-- https://www.google.com/search?q=Limincello&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiCrKXP4cb5AhVornIEHaLZDWUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=Limincello&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyBggAEAoQGDIGCAAQChAYMgYIABAKEBgyBggAEAoQGDIGCAAQChAYMgYIABAKEBgyBggAEAoQGDIGCAAQChAYMgYIABAKEBg6BAgjECdQ9glYnA1gtxFoAHAAeACAASeIAW-SAQEzmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=SCT5YoLoNujcytMPorO3qAY&bih=928&biw=929&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS1018US1018

CDB

Aug 15, 2022, 7:55:24 AM8/15/22
"Kanapa" sounds a bit like what I remember they were called in Haiti:
"guenèpe" [gEnEp]. I suppose they are related to litchee fruit.

Quinn C

Aug 15, 2022, 1:15:33 PM8/15/22
* CDB:
If I try searching for that, it wants to give me results for Genève or
Guinée.

The description reminded me of longan ("dragon eye fruit"), except that
they're not green, but yellow to brown outside. Both are indeed related
to lychee, and rambutan is another family member.

"Litchee" looks like a bastardized spelling to me; I'm used to "Lychee"
or "Litchi" (the scientific name of the genus, and used in French as
is).

--
Kira: Any luck?
Garak: Plenty, major. Unfortunately, all of it bad.

Silvano

Aug 15, 2022, 2:50:59 PM8/15/22
bruce bowser hat am 14.08.2022 um 18:38 geschrieben:
> 'Kanapa' or 'Limincillo', like a mini-lime in every way.

Kanapa? What's that?
If you're talking about an Italian lemon liqueur, the correct spelling
is Limoncello.
Are you talking about something else? I'll shut up, if it's nothing
typically Italian.
If it is, please tell me what you're talking about and I'll be glad to
use my native speaker skills.

bruce bowser

Aug 15, 2022, 3:26:57 PM8/15/22
On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 2:50:59 PM UTC-4, Silvano wrote:
> bruce bowser hat am 14.08.2022 um 18:38 geschrieben:
> > 'Kanapa' or 'Limincillo', like a mini-lime in every way.
>
> Kanapa? What's that?

Offenbar eine Mini-Limette, glaube ich?

> If you're talking about an Italian lemon liqueur, the correct spelling
> is Limoncello.

Aber, ich habe auch doch Suchergebnisse von 'Limincello' erhalten.

> Are you talking about something else?

Ich weise es nicht.

> I'll shut up

Im oder auf englischen ist 'shut-up' mehr ein klangorientiertes wort und keine schriftliche Anfrage wie vielleicht 'leave the thread'.

> if its nothing.

Fast nur. Suchergebnisse geben auch alternative Schreibweisen an. Dabei, vielleicht ist die Rechtschreibung nicht mehr wichtig.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 15, 2022, 3:30:13 PM8/15/22
He's talking about the fruit of /Melicoccus bijugatus/, from the New
World tropics. There's no article about it in the Italian Wikipedia,
which says something about how well known it is Italy. There is one
on the German Wikipedia, though.

--
Jerry Friedman

lar3ryca

Aug 15, 2022, 3:47:09 PM8/15/22
Search for "kanapa fruit" (with quotes).

There are other names for it, including quenepa, canepa, Spanish lime,
and more.

> The description reminded me of longan ("dragon eye fruit"), except that
> they're not green, but yellow to brown outside. Both are indeed related
> to lychee, and rambutan is another family member.
>
> "Litchee" looks like a bastardized spelling to me; I'm used to "Lychee"
> or "Litchi" (the scientific name of the genus, and used in French as
> is).

I always spell it Lychee, and pronounce it "lye chee".

--
I before E... except when you run a feisty heist on a weird foreign
neighbour.

Quinn C

Aug 15, 2022, 5:41:23 PM8/15/22
* lar3ryca:

> On 2022-08-15 11:15, Quinn C wrote:
>> * CDB:
>>
>>> "Kanapa" sounds a bit like what I remember they were called in Haiti:
>>> "guenèpe" [gEnEp]. I suppose they are related to litchee fruit.
>>
>> If I try searching for that, it wants to give me results for Genève or
>> Guinée.
>
> Search for "kanapa fruit" (with quotes).

That wasn't the problem - "limoncillo" redirects to
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melicoccus_bijugatus>

> There are other names for it, including quenepa, canepa, Spanish lime,
> and more.

| Bajan ackee, genip, guinep, genipe, ginepa, kenèp, quenepa, quenepe,
| quenette, chenet, skinup, talpa jocote, mamón, limoncillo, canepa,
| skinip, kenepa, kinnip, huaya, or mamoncillo

(in the article above)

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them

CDB

Aug 15, 2022, 6:05:02 PM8/15/22
On 8/15/2022 1:15 PM, Quinn C wrote:
> * CDB:
>> bruce bowser wrote:

>>> 'Kanapa' or 'Limincillo', like a mini-lime in every way.

>>> -
It's probably a local name. Nobody pays much attention to Haiti.

> The description reminded me of longan ("dragon eye fruit"), except
> that they're not green, but yellow to brown outside. Both are indeed
> related to lychee, and rambutan is another family member.

> "Litchee" looks like a bastardized spelling to me; I'm used to
> "Lychee" or "Litchi" (the scientific name of the genus, and used in
> French as is).

OK, I was improvising.