Dictionaries, what are they good for?

Lewis

Jun 9, 2022, 11:00:31 AM6/9/22
If anyone is interested in hearing people who write a dictionary talk
about dictionaries, I can recommend the Word Matters Podcast.

<https://www.npr.org/podcasts/925875362/word-matters>

Even if their definition of hot dog is all wrong.

--
Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

bruce bowser

Jun 9, 2022, 2:24:42 PM6/9/22
And if the grant money is running on fumes and you can't pay the cable/phone bills? Then paper and print (like a dictionary) can help. Among other paper and print concepts.

(You mean you *actually* didn't know this?)

Adam Funk

Jun 10, 2022, 5:15:07 AM6/10/22
On 2022-06-09, Lewis wrote:

> If anyone is interested in hearing people who write a dictionary talk
> about dictionaries, I can recommend the Word Matters Podcast.
>
><https://www.npr.org/podcasts/925875362/word-matters>
>
> Even if their definition of hot dog is all wrong.

They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)

--
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.
---Spock

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2022, 8:36:54 AM6/10/22
On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 5:15:07 AM UTC-4, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-06-09, Lewis wrote:
>
> > If anyone is interested in hearing people who write a dictionary talk
> > about dictionaries, I can recommend the Word Matters Podcast.
> >
> ><https://www.npr.org/podcasts/925875362/word-matters>
> >
> > Even if their definition of hot dog is all wrong.
> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)

This was discussed on the Colbert Questionnert of Jon Batiste
last night. One of the questions is "What is the best sandwich?"
and Jon's answer was "Hot dog." (Not po' boy, surprisingly.) Colbert
objected that it's not a sandwich because the bread is connected
along an edge. Jon pointed out that if the hinge breaks, it's still a
hot dog. Colbert said that that's a sausage on a baguette. That
suggests he doesn't actually know what a hot dog is like, for if it
doesn't have a crusty crust, it isn't a baguette, and hot dog buns
don't have a crusty crust.

Jerry Friedman

Jun 10, 2022, 8:49:15 AM6/10/22
On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 3:15:07 AM UTC-6, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-06-09, Lewis wrote:
>
> > If anyone is interested in hearing people who write a dictionary talk
> > about dictionaries, I can recommend the Word Matters Podcast.
> >
> ><https://www.npr.org/podcasts/925875362/word-matters>
> >
> > Even if their definition of hot dog is all wrong.

> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)

There's also the subsidiary holy war about whether the hot dog
is the tubular object, the whole assembly, or both.

--
Jerry Friedman

Adam Funk

Jun 10, 2022, 9:30:07 AM6/10/22
"Un sandwich" made from a baguette in France often (usually, almost
always?) has a hinge.

<https://www.lalsace.fr/actualite/2017/03/03/le-jambon-beurre-sandwich-le-plus-vendu-en-france>

--
A drug by the name of World Without End

Adam Funk

Jun 10, 2022, 9:30:08 AM6/10/22
Yes.

But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?

--
Men, there is no sacrifice greater than someone else's.
---Skipper

Richard Heathfield

Jun 10, 2022, 9:52:11 AM6/10/22
The nearest.

(Cf Lady and the Tramp.)

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Ken Blake

Jun 10, 2022, 9:52:51 AM6/10/22
On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 14:23:35 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com>
wrote:
If you're right-handed, eat the left end first. If you're left-handed,
eat the right end first.

charles

Jun 10, 2022, 10:00:39 AM6/10/22
In article <n7tbnix...@news.ducksburg.com>,
The end nearest your mouth

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Jerry Friedman

Jun 10, 2022, 10:35:30 AM6/10/22
Aren't you supposed to watch how a monkey eats it? Too bad Gulliver
didn't think of that.

--
Jerry Friedman

Adam Funk

Jun 10, 2022, 10:45:08 AM6/10/22
On 2022-06-10, Richard Heathfield wrote:

> On 10/06/2022 2:23 pm, Adam Funk wrote:

>>> There's also the subsidiary holy war about whether the hot dog
>>> is the tubular object, the whole assembly, or both.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?
>
> The nearest.

Yay, the practical answer!

--
In the fall when plants return, by harvest time, she knows the score,
ripe and ready to the eye, but rotten somehow to the core.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2022, 12:00:33 PM6/10/22
Depends where you're buying. At the grocery, you buy both hot dogs
and hot dog buns. At the eatery (incl. sidewalk carts), it's the whole
assemblage. Either the vendor or the customer adds the condiments.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2022, 12:15:03 PM6/10/22
Hmm. So not only the final-stress and unpronounced t are fake
French, so is his pop culture awareness!

Buttered ham? Doesn't sound kosher.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2022, 12:17:32 PM6/10/22
Do monkeys eat eggs? And sometimes, do eggs eat monkeys?

(Some here won't recognize the allusion. After bats and cats.)

Sam Plusnet

Jun 10, 2022, 2:32:12 PM6/10/22
That actually suggests that an entertainer may say something in order to
be entertaining - I understand that Mr Colbert is actually known for his
skill in doing this.
The words do not have to reflect a genuine belief.

Sam Plusnet

Jun 10, 2022, 2:34:03 PM6/10/22
On 10/06/2022 15:31, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-06-10, Richard Heathfield wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?
>>
>> The nearest.
>
> Yay, the practical answer!

Or both - if you are a hammerhead shark.

TonyCooper

Jun 10, 2022, 3:11:11 PM6/10/22
Quite so. In fact, Stephen Colbert is known for his skill in
presenting himself as something he isn't. Between 2005 and 2014 he had
very successful show called "The Colbert Report". From Wiki: "The
show focused on a fictional anchorman character named Stephen Colbert,
played by his real-life namesake. The character, described by Colbert
as a "well-intentioned, poorly informed, high-status idiot", is a
caricature of televised political pundits." His role on that show was
as a parody of a conservative as seen on Fox News.

In his current gig as host of "The Late Show", he's as phony as all
hosts of such shows are pretending to have of immensely enjoyed
watching the movie or television show that his guest has appeared in.
That, of course, is expected. A show can't book guests if the host is
known to ask why they took a role in such a crap movie/tv show or how
have they been successful as an actor without any discernable talent
as an actor other than good looks.

I do record his show every night it's on, and watch the next day. I
also record Jimmy Kimmel and watch that show the next day. I often
fast-forward both skipping the less interesting interviews.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2022, 4:31:06 PM6/10/22
He faced considerable legal problems threatened by his previous
owner when he tried to bring some of his bits from the Colbert
Report to The Late Show with Stephen Colbert -- just as Letterman
had had to fight to keep the Top Ten List when he moved from NBC
to CBS. Colbert lost that battle.

> In his current gig as host of "The Late Show", he's as phony as all
> hosts of such shows are pretending to have of immensely enjoyed
> watching the movie or television show that his guest has appeared in.
> That, of course, is expected. A show can't book guests if the host is
> known to ask why they took a role in such a crap movie/tv show or how
> have they been successful as an actor without any discernable talent
> as an actor other than good looks.

He is candid when he has not seen the movie the guest is there to promote.

> I do record his show every night it's on, and watch the next day. I
> also record Jimmy Kimmel and watch that show the next day. I often
> fast-forward both skipping the less interesting interviews.

So you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Surprise, surprise.
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
> I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment

And misinformation.

R.Wieser

Jun 10, 2022, 7:56:16 PM6/10/22
Peter T. Daniels

> So you don't actually know what you're talking about.

It's you who is the dufus clueless about everything.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

bil...@shaw.ca

Jun 10, 2022, 9:03:41 PM6/10/22
Usage goes both ways, and if the Good Lord thought only one or the other
was correct, He would have said so in Genesis.

bill

Peter Moylan

Jun 10, 2022, 11:01:17 PM6/10/22
On 10/06/22 23:23, Adam Funk wrote:

> "Un sandwich" made from a baguette in France often (usually, almost
> always?) has a hinge.
>
> <https://www.lalsace.fr/actualite/2017/03/03/le-jambon-beurre-sandwich-le-plus-vendu-en-france>

When

I first encountered the French-style sandwich, I took that as
evidence that the French word "sandwich" and the English word "sandwich"
have different meanings.

Peter Moylan

Jun 10, 2022, 11:16:35 PM6/10/22
On 10/06/22 23:23, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-06-10, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
>>> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)
>>
>> There's also the subsidiary holy war about whether the hot dog is
>> the tubular object, the whole assembly, or both.

I don't see the latter as a holy war. It seems to me that, at least in
AUE, there is widespread acceptance that it can be both.

On the previous question, though, the only thing we can all agree on is
that there will never be agreement on whether a hot dog is a sandwich.

> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?

Chocolate frogs are popular here. The burning question there is whether
to bite off the head first, or the back end.

lar3ryca

Jun 11, 2022, 12:29:58 AM6/11/22
Zut alors! Ouate de phoque!

--
I have a boomerang that won't come back. I call it my stick.

CDB

Jun 11, 2022, 6:39:55 AM6/11/22
On 6/10/2022 11:16 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> Adam Funk wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> There's also the subsidiary holy war about whether the hot dog
>>> is the tubular object, the whole assembly, or both.

> I don't see the latter as a holy war. It seems to me that, at least
> in AUE, there is widespread acceptance that it can be both.

> On the previous question, though, the only thing we can all agree on
> is that there will never be agreement on whether a hot dog is a
> sandwich.

>> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat
>> first?

> Chocolate frogs are popular here. The burning question there is
> whether to bite off the head first, or the back end.

That's not the only question. When you bite into either end, does it go
"crunch"?

Peter Moylan

Jun 11, 2022, 7:25:45 AM6/11/22
No, that's only for real frogs.

Quinn C

Jun 11, 2022, 12:20:49 PM6/11/22
* Peter Moylan:

> Chocolate frogs are popular here. The burning question there is whether
> to bite off the head first, or the back end.

I don't think it's a question any more when it's burning.

--
Dawn: Did you know the ancient Sumerians did not speak English?
Buffy: Ugh, they're worse than the French!

Quinn C

Jun 11, 2022, 12:21:58 PM6/11/22
* Peter Moylan:

> On 11/06/22 20:39, CDB wrote:

>>> Chocolate frogs are popular here. The burning question there is
>>> whether to bite off the head first, or the back end.
>>
>> That's not the only question. When you bite into either end, does it go
>> "crunch"?
>
> No, that's only for real frogs.

Maybe there's a market for praline chocolate frogs.

--
Be afraid of the lame - They'll inherit your legs
Be afraid of the old - They'll inherit your souls

bruce bowser

Jun 11, 2022, 12:29:30 PM6/11/22
And I bet you just can't decry such definitions as:
"a dog whose temprature is above normal canine body temperature".

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 11, 2022, 12:33:18 PM6/11/22
On Saturday, June 11, 2022 at 12:21:58 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
> * Peter Moylan:

> >> That's not the only question. When you bite into either end, does it go
> >> "crunch"?
> > No, that's only for real frogs.
>
> Maybe there's a market for praline chocolate frogs.

Sounds interesting. Can you combine chocolate and praline?

charles

Jun 11, 2022, 1:15:40 PM6/11/22
In article <99ba5998-163f-4fdb...@googlegroups.com>, Peter
some manufacturers do.

Sam Plusnet

Jun 11, 2022, 6:04:29 PM6/11/22
On 10/06/2022 21:31, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> He faced considerable legal problems threatened by his previous
> owner when he tried to bring some of his bits from the Colbert
> Report to The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Owner?
Does this have some meaning in AmE - other than the obvious one?

Sam Plusnet

Jun 11, 2022, 6:13:18 PM6/11/22
Which was roughly my view of the bloody battles over Arianism and the
other divergences from the Nicene Creed.
Maybe He just wanted to sit back, with a bowl of popcorn, and see just
how insane His creations really were.

(This all predated Jerry Springer)

Quinn C

Jun 11, 2022, 6:37:14 PM6/11/22
* Peter T. Daniels:
Most of the time, when you see "praline" on a chocolate, it will be a
soft nut-based filling, but the crunchy type is also sometimes used:

<https://www.leonidas.com/en/chocolates/colored-rabbit-praline-crunchy-praline>
<https://mirellichocolatier.com/crunchy-praline-bonbon-per-4-oz-approx-6-pcs/>

--
Some of the most horrific things ever done to humans
were done by the politest, best-dressed, most well-spoken

Rich Ulrich

Jun 11, 2022, 7:28:21 PM6/11/22
On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 15:11:04 -0400, TonyCooper
<tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [... Colbert]
>In his current gig as host of "The Late Show", he's as phony as all
>hosts of such shows are pretending to have of immensely enjoyed
>watching the movie or television show that his guest has appeared in.
>That, of course, is expected. A show can't book guests if the host is
>known to ask why they took a role in such a crap movie/tv show or how
>have they been successful as an actor without any discernable talent
>as an actor other than good looks.

It was a few years back when Craig Ferguson hosted a late, late
night TV show.

He had Kristen Stewart on his show, at a time when her main
claim to fame was her role in the Twilight franchise. Craig, as
it happened, had regularly skewered those vampire movies in
his monologues. Questions might be, Who booked her, and Why?

Kristen, unlike many guests on many shows, was entirely familiar
with Craig's previous shows. And she broke the ice by letting
him know that. I don't remember seeing that, before or since.
- BTW, I can imagine that she did not take him by surprise.
She was a good interview.

I'm still not a fan of the Twililght movies, but I became a fan
of Kristen Stewart based on the guest shot, though I don't
remember details.

--
Rich Ulrich h

Peter Moylan

Jun 11, 2022, 8:20:53 PM6/11/22
I don't think I've ever had a praline that wasn't chocolate coated. I
see from atilf, however, that my concept of pralines is specifically
Belgian, and that the word has a very different meaning in other places.

Janet

Jun 12, 2022, 5:55:42 AM6/12/22
In article <1wza23j946prw$.d...@mid.crommatograph.info>,
lispa...@crommatograph.info says...

> * Peter Moylan:

> >> That's not the only question. When you bite into either end, does it go
> >> "crunch"?
> >
> > No, that's only for real frogs.
>
> Maybe there's a market for praline chocolate frogs.

Lindt already make them

https://www.amazon.com/Lindt-Frog-Prince-Tin-4-
8oz/dp/B00S5M2N6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1455042079&sr=1-1
&keywords=lindt+frog

Janet

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 12, 2022, 9:14:30 AM6/12/22
Whoever owned the copyrights on The Colbert Report, obviously!

I suspected Comedy Central, because it was probably a
spinoff from Jon Stewart.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 12, 2022, 9:17:16 AM6/12/22
It's a New Orleans specialty -- chunks of pecan in a crispy
sugary, um, matrix that seems to be poured over the nuts
and left to solidify.

Ken Blake

Jun 12, 2022, 11:31:11 AM6/12/22
On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 10:55:36 +0100, Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:

>In article <1wza23j946prw$.d...@mid.crommatograph.info>,
>lispa...@crommatograph.info says...
>>
>> * Peter Moylan:

>> > No, that's only for real frogs.
>>
>> Maybe there's a market for praline chocolate frogs.
>
> Lindt already make them

I wouldn't eat the whole thing, just the legs.

Your Name

Jun 12, 2022, 12:49:15 PM6/12/22
On 2022-06-12 21:55:36 +0000, Janet said:

>> Maybe there's a market for praline chocolate frogs.
>
> Lindt already make them

Thars a market for everything!

bruce bowser

Jun 12, 2022, 12:58:40 PM6/12/22
On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 5:55:42 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> In article <1wza23j946prw$.d...@mid.crommatograph.info>,
> lispa...@crommatograph.info says...
> >
> > * Peter Moylan:

> > > No, that's only for real frogs.
> >
> > Maybe there's a market for praline chocolate frogs.
> Lindt already make them

Those frogs aren't live, so they are just fakes.

Sam Plusnet

Jun 12, 2022, 2:35:43 PM6/12/22
Well... Not all that obvious.

"...threatened by his previous owner when he tried to bring..."

makes it hard to see that as anything other than a reference to the
previous owner of a person.

Having dismissed the only evident meaning, the reader has to try and dig
out an alternative.

I think the writer (singular) should be doing the heavy lifting, not
leave it to the readers (multiple).

I'm still not clear if this is a personal foible, or that the sentence
would pass without comment in casual speech in the US (or parts
thereof). This was my reason for raising a query.

TonyCooper

Jun 12, 2022, 3:15:37 PM6/12/22
I also think "owner", as used, was not the right word. I do recall
some comments Colbert has made about not being able to use certain
bits he was known for when he did the "Colbert Reports" on Comedy
Central. I assume that Comedy Central (a cable network currently
owned by Paramount Global) has some copyrights to some aspects of that
show.

On his current show, Colbert has a recurring bit called "Meanwhile" in
which he brings up tidbits of news that he presents with in a humorous
manner. Someone (using "someone" to include a corporate identity) may
have the rights to that term in that context.

If Colbert would move to another network or cable channel, he could
still present tidbits of news items in a humorous manner, but may not
be able to refer to the bit as a "Meanwhile" segment.

What is unknown to me is whether Colbert, or any other TV personality,
can personally own the rights to such things or whether the rights are
always owned by the network or channel organization.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 12, 2022, 4:23:03 PM6/12/22
On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 2:35:43 PM UTC-4, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 12/06/2022 14:14, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> >> Owner?
> >> Does this have some meaning in AmE - other than the obvious one?
> > Whoever owned the copyrights on The Colbert Report, obviously!
> > I suspected Comedy Central, because it was probably a
> > spinoff from Jon Stewart.
>
> Well... Not all that obvious.
>
> "...threatened by his previous owner when he tried to bring..."
>
> makes it hard to see that as anything other than a reference to the
> previous owner of a person.

It's called "intellectual _property_." _Property_ has a _proprietor_,
or owner.

Colbert _cannot_ legally do (recapitulate) the character "Stephen
Colbert" on *The Late Show with Stephen Colbert*.

Though TC says Comedy Central now has the same owner as
CBS, so it may all be smoothed over. But there probably isn't
much call any more for a spoof of the Fox News commentators,
because their unsavory activities have become far too seriously
influential.

Snidely

Jun 12, 2022, 5:06:33 PM6/12/22
Remember when Quinn C bragged outrageously? That was Saturday:
> * Peter Moylan:
>
>> Chocolate frogs are popular here. The burning question there is whether
>> to bite off the head first, or the back end.
>
> I don't think it's a question any more when it's burning.

Stay the course, follow the line on the char.

/dps "ice water chaser, please"

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

bruce bowser

Jun 12, 2022, 5:15:13 PM6/12/22
Why even say "chaser" ?

Quinn C

Jun 12, 2022, 8:49:53 PM6/12/22
* Peter T. Daniels:
That may be the local variety, but more generally, it can be any nut.
Most commonly almonds or hazelnuts, in Europe.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praline#/media/File:Brittle_made_of_Hazelnuts.jpg>

"Brittle" may be a translation that more people recognize, but what I
know as brittle was made to eat as is, whereas the hard praliné/croquant
that I was referring to is most commonly used as a topping for cake or
ice cream.

--
Genocide is not like gifts - the thought doesn't count.
-- 22 minutes,

Quinn C

Jun 12, 2022, 8:49:53 PM6/12/22
* Peter T. Daniels:

> On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 2:35:43 PM UTC-4, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Whoever owned the copyrights on The Colbert Report, obviously!
>>> I suspected Comedy Central, because it was probably a
>>> spinoff from Jon Stewart.
>>
>> Well... Not all that obvious.
>>
>> "...threatened by his previous owner when he tried to bring..."
>>
>> makes it hard to see that as anything other than a reference to the
>> previous owner of a person.
>
> It's called "intellectual _property_." _Property_ has a _proprietor_,
> or owner.
>
> Colbert _cannot_ legally do (recapitulate) the character "Stephen
> Colbert" on *The Late Show with Stephen Colbert*.

Yes, but your sentence suggested that someone was the owner of Stephen
Colbert, the actor, not just the figure. I took it as sarcastic
exaggeration of the employer-employee relationship.

--
The seeds of new thought, sown in a ground that isn't prepared
to receive them, don't bear fruit.

Quinn C

Jun 12, 2022, 8:49:54 PM6/12/22
* Peter Moylan:
Recognizable by the fact that the praline I used is uncountable.

--
The Eskimoes had fifty-two names for snow because it was
important to them, there ought to be as many for love.

Quinn C

Jun 12, 2022, 8:49:56 PM6/12/22
* Janet:
See my other post for what that probably is - a soft filling similar to
gianduia.

--
Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct
in which the score is kept.

Lewis

Jun 13, 2022, 4:13:55 AM6/13/22
In message <32ebnix...@news.ducksburg.com> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On 2022-06-09, Lewis wrote:

>> If anyone is interested in hearing people who write a dictionary talk
>> about dictionaries, I can recommend the Word Matters Podcast.
>>
>><https://www.npr.org/podcasts/925875362/word-matters>
>>
>> Even if their definition of hot dog is all wrong.

> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)

My position on all of these is simple, if someone offered you A and gave
you B, would you think that was odd?

Do you want a sandwich?
Sure.
<hands you a hot dog>
WTF?

Replace A and B with anything at all, that tells you if B is a type of A.

Do you want a taco?
Sure.
<hands you a calzone>
WTF?

Do you want a burrito?
Sure.
<hands you a beef wellington>
WTF?

--
Tina... homecoming is spelled c *O* m

Lewis

Jun 13, 2022, 4:14:49 AM6/13/22
In message <n7tbnix...@news.ducksburg.com> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On 2022-06-10, Jerry Friedman wrote:

>>> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
>>> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)
>>
>> There's also the subsidiary holy war about whether the hot dog
>> is the tubular object, the whole assembly, or both.

> Yes.

> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?

The big end, of course.

--
'They come back to the mountains to die,' said the King. 'They live
in Ankh-Morpork.' --The Fifth Elephant

Adam Funk

Jun 13, 2022, 6:00:07 AM6/13/22
I haven't seen that or Twilight, but I thought she was pretty good in
_The Runaways_.

--
Oh what a time we had
Living on the ground

Adam Funk

Jun 13, 2022, 6:00:08 AM6/13/22
On 2022-06-10, TonyCooper wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2022 19:32:07 +0100, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

>>> This was discussed on the Colbert Questionnert of Jon Batiste
>>> last night. One of the questions is "What is the best sandwich?"
>>> and Jon's answer was "Hot dog." (Not po' boy, surprisingly.) Colbert
>>> objected that it's not a sandwich because the bread is connected
>>> along an edge. Jon pointed out that if the hinge breaks, it's still a
>>> hot dog. Colbert said that that's a sausage on a baguette. That
>>> suggests he doesn't actually know what a hot dog is like, for if it
>>> doesn't have a crusty crust, it isn't a baguette, and hot dog buns
>>> don't have a crusty crust.
>>
>>That actually suggests that an entertainer may say something in order to
>>be entertaining - I understand that Mr Colbert is actually known for his
>>skill in doing this.
>>The words do not have to reflect a genuine belief.
>
> Quite so. In fact, Stephen Colbert is known for his skill in
> presenting himself as something he isn't. Between 2005 and 2014 he had
> very successful show called "The Colbert Report". From Wiki: "The
> show focused on a fictional anchorman character named Stephen Colbert,
> played by his real-life namesake. The character, described by Colbert
> as a "well-intentioned, poorly informed, high-status idiot", is a
> caricature of televised political pundits." His role on that show was
> as a parody of a conservative as seen on Fox News.

So the sandwich definition based on the hinge could be fake news.

--
Well, we had a lot of luck on Venus
We always had a ball on Mars

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 13, 2022, 10:28:11 AM6/13/22
Brittle and praline are very different. (Crushing it to sprinkle
on ice cream seems such a waste.) Brittle is almost solid
peanuts, in a brick or a layer one kernel thick, glued together
with horribly sweet and stick stuff that you can't get out of
your teeth for hours afterward! Praline is "gentle," and the
matrix dissolves fairly quickly on the tongue.

I like both almonds and hazelnuts better than pecans, but
the texture -- the hardness -- of either of them, and the shape
of the kernels, suggest that it would be tricky to get them to
work well with the matrix. Can they be made smaller without
crushing to powder? Unless the matrix is different Over There
-- do they have ready access to sugar cane? (Maybe it doesn't
start with granulated sugar.)

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 13, 2022, 10:30:14 AM6/13/22
On Sunday, June 12, 2022 at 8:49:53 PM UTC-4, Quinn C wrote:
Of course. It's that too. Note that Letterman won the battle
over the "Top Ten List." (And Colbert didn't continue it.)

lar3ryca

Jun 13, 2022, 2:53:35 PM6/13/22
On 2022-06-13 02:14, Lewis wrote:
> In message <n7tbnix...@news.ducksburg.com> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:

>>> There's also the subsidiary holy war about whether the hot dog
>>> is the tubular object, the whole assembly, or both.
>
>> Yes.
>
>> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?
>
> The big end, of course.

Of course! I always eat mine from the big end. Mind you, it's the end
closest to me, so it probably just appears bigger.

--
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea

lar3ryca

Jun 13, 2022, 3:01:33 PM6/13/22
On 2022-06-13 02:13, Lewis wrote:
> In message <32ebnix...@news.ducksburg.com> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-06-09, Lewis wrote:
>
>>> If anyone is interested in hearing people who write a dictionary talk
>>> about dictionaries, I can recommend the Word Matters Podcast.
>>>
>>> <https://www.npr.org/podcasts/925875362/word-matters>
>>>
>>> Even if their definition of hot dog is all wrong.
>
>> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
>> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)
>
> My position on all of these is simple, if someone offered you A and gave
> you B, would you think that was odd?
>
> Do you want a sandwich?
> Sure.
> <hands you a hot dog>
> WTF?

Do you want a hot dog?
Sure
<hands you a frankfurter>
WTF?

Seems obvious to me. A frank/frankfurter/wiener is a component of a hot
dog. A hot dog consists of, at minimum, a bun and a wiener.

Apply that to other foods...

> Replace A and B with anything at all, that tells you if B is a type of A.
>
> Do you want a taco?
> Sure.
> <hands you a calzone>
> WTF?
>
> Do you want a burrito?
> Sure.
> <hands you a beef wellington>
> WTF?

Do you want a taco?
Sure
<hands you a tortilla>
WTF?

Do you want a beef wellington?
Sure
<hands you a rib roast>
WTF?

--
I joined the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program

Richard Heathfield

Jun 13, 2022, 3:08:18 PM6/13/22
On 13/06/2022 8:01 pm, lar3ryca wrote:
> Do you want a taco?
>      Sure
> <hands you a tortilla>
>      WTF?
>
> Do you want a beef wellington?
>      Sure
> <hands you a rib roast>
>      WTF?

A: I say I say I say! What's the difference between an elephant
and a pillar box?

B: I don't know! What *is* the difference between an elephant and
a pillar box?

A: Remind me never to ask you to post a letter.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within

Sam Plusnet

Jun 13, 2022, 3:47:20 PM6/13/22
On 12/06/2022 20:15, TonyCooper wrote:
> What is unknown to me is whether Colbert, or any other TV personality,
> can personally own the rights to such things or whether the rights are
> always owned by the network or channel organization.

I suppose that would be one of the subjects of discussion when a
contract is being negotiated. Both parties might wish to own those rights.

If someone like Colbert carried on moving from one organisation to
another, he may eventually leave behind all his best material & have to
become a mime artist.

Quinn C

Jun 13, 2022, 6:06:15 PM6/13/22
* lar3ryca:

> On 2022-06-13 02:14, Lewis wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>
>>> But more importantly, is there a way to tell which end to eat first?
>>
>> The big end, of course.
>
> Of course! I always eat mine from the big end. Mind you, it's the end
> closest to me, so it probably just appears bigger.

Hot dogs in mirror might appear smaller at your end?

--
It's a strange sensation, dying. No matter how many times it happens
to you, you never get used to it.

Quinn C

Jun 13, 2022, 6:06:16 PM6/13/22
* Adam Funk:
I could easily exclude the 1975 movie by that title, but had to check
whether it was the 2010 or the 2018 one. I was worried for a moment that
I had forgotten she was in the TV series I'd watched, but that is just
"Runaways", and colloquially, "Marvel's Runaways". So I don't think I've
seen anything she's in, in the end.

The titles "Runaway" and "The Runaway" are even worse, by a lot.

--
Some things are taken away from you, some you leave behind-and
some you carry with you, world without end.

Ken Blake

Jun 13, 2022, 6:49:13 PM6/13/22
On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:01:27 -0600, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-06-13 02:13, Lewis wrote:

>>> They do or do not consider it a hyponym of "sandwich"? (I can't
>>> remember who here is on which side of the holy war.)
>>
>> My position on all of these is simple, if someone offered you A and gave
>> you B, would you think that was odd?
>>
>> Do you want a sandwich?
>> Sure.
>> <hands you a hot dog>
>> WTF?
>
>Do you want a hot dog?
> Sure
><hands you a frankfurter>
> WTF?
>
>Seems obvious to me. A frank/frankfurter/wiener is a component of a hot
>dog. A hot dog consists of, at minimum, a bun and a wiener.

This been discussed here ad infinitum, but feel free to use the term
"hot" dog any way you want. But as far as I'm concerned, the term "hot
dog" can be applied to what you describe or to just what you call the
"wiener." Frank/frankfurter/wiener are synonyms of "hot dog."

However I will admit that back when I used to go to a barber named
"Frank," I never called him "hot dog."

For what it's worth, I never use the term "wiener."

lar3ryca

Jun 14, 2022, 1:23:18 AM6/14/22
On 2022-06-13 16:06, Quinn C wrote:
> * lar3ryca:

>>> The big end, of course.
>>
>> Of course! I always eat mine from the big end. Mind you, it's the end
>> closest to me, so it probably just appears bigger.
>
> Hot dogs in mirror might appear smaller at your end?

True, but then I can't see my mouth (or the rest of my face).
Oops... did I say that out loud?

--
They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Madhu

Jun 14, 2022, 9:26:10 PM6/14/22

* Ken Blake <4bffahpcuqplsjlttoquah3tiine0que34 @4ax.com> :
Wrote on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:49:07 -0700:
> This been discussed here ad infinitum, but feel free to use the term
> "hot" dog any way you want. But as far as I'm concerned, the term "hot
> dog" can be applied to what you describe or to just what you call the
> "wiener." Frank/frankfurter/wiener are synonyms of "hot dog."
>
> However I will admit that back when I used to go to a barber named
> "Frank," I never called him "hot dog."
>
> For what it's worth, I never use the term "wiener."

For what it's wurst

Adam Funk

Jun 15, 2022, 5:15:07 AM6/15/22
OK, the only one of those that I've seen is the 2010 film about the
1970s band.

--
Musicians can run this state better than politicians. We won't get a
lot done in the mornings, but we'll work late and be honest.

Adam Funk

Jun 15, 2022, 5:15:09 AM6/15/22
Peanut brittle is a normal thing in Virginia, although it can be hard
on your teeth. (I know someone whose husband's dentist asked her to
stop making it.)

--
In the future, a culturally mandated forty-hour workweek may seem as
odd and cruel as does seven-year-old children working in Victorian

Quinn C

Jun 15, 2022, 10:44:00 AM6/15/22
If it's peanut brittle. Again, you're narrowing it down beyond what I'm
trying to say.

> in a brick or a layer one kernel thick, glued together
> with horribly sweet and stick stuff that you can't get out of
> your teeth for hours afterward!

I only encountered peanut brittle as a Vietnamese snack, and that - at
least the commercially available version - isn't that terribly sticky.

> Praline is "gentle," and the
> matrix dissolves fairly quickly on the tongue.
>
> I like both almonds and hazelnuts better than pecans, but
> the texture -- the hardness -- of either of them, and the shape
> of the kernels, suggest that it would be tricky to get them to
> work well with the matrix. Can they be made smaller without
> crushing to powder? Unless the matrix is different Over There
> -- do they have ready access to sugar cane? (Maybe it doesn't
> start with granulated sugar.)

I conclude that "praline" is not a useful word in communicating with
English speakers - most of them have no clear idea of it, or, like you,
imagine something too specific that they happen to have encountered.

I still suspect that they call it praline instead of brittle in New
Orleans because of French tradition, not because it fundamentally means
something different.

What I wanted to convey was "small pieces of candied nuts", but there
seems to be no generic English word for that.

--
What Phrenzy in my Bosom rag'd,
And by what Care to be asswag'd?

Quinn C

Jun 15, 2022, 10:44:01 AM6/15/22
* Quinn C:
Not even "Happiest Season" - when I decided to embrace the sappiness and
looked for a lesbian holiday movie, I landed on the anodyne Under the
Christmas Tree instead. At least Tattiawna Jones is quite hot, but there
was only one, shy kiss in the whole thing, for Sappho's sake! Maybe I'll
watch Happiest Season another time, it has an impressive lineup.

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them

Quinn C

Jun 15, 2022, 10:44:02 AM6/15/22
* Madhu:
Corn dogs - for batter or for wurst.

--
"THIS IS IMPORTANT," one of the homunculi said to me. "THERE ARE
NO MEN AND NO WOMEN AND NOTHING ELSE."

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 15, 2022, 2:01:20 PM6/15/22
I've also heard of cashew brittle.

Incidentally, cashews would be more suitable for pralines
than almonds or hazelnuts, because texture.

> > in a brick or a layer one kernel thick, glued together
> > with horribly sweet and stick stuff that you can't get out of
> > your teeth for hours afterward!
>
> I only encountered peanut brittle as a Vietnamese snack, and that - at
> least the commercially available version - isn't that terribly sticky.

Maybe they improved on what the G.I.'s gave the children?

> > Praline is "gentle," and the
> > matrix dissolves fairly quickly on the tongue.
> > I like both almonds and hazelnuts better than pecans, but
> > the texture -- the hardness -- of either of them, and the shape
> > of the kernels, suggest that it would be tricky to get them to
> > work well with the matrix. Can they be made smaller without
> > crushing to powder? Unless the matrix is different Over There
> > -- do they have ready access to sugar cane? (Maybe it doesn't
> > start with granulated sugar.)
>
> I conclude that "praline" is not a useful word in communicating with
> English speakers - most of them have no clear idea of it, or, like you,
> imagine something too specific that they happen to have encountered.

Did you look at the article you linked to a picture from? There's a note
at the top that maybe it should be three articles, because it describes
three completely different things. The "Belgian" one is simply the "box
of chocolates" that Forrest Gump's "life is like."

> I still suspect that they call it praline instead of brittle in New
> Orleans because of French tradition, not because it fundamentally means
> something different.

No, you didn't look at the article. Some pretty yucky French stuff
was imported, and the "free black" (why not enslaved?) women
made it good by substituting pecans and adding cream (not that
you'd be aware of cream when you get a box of them as a birthday
present.)

> What I wanted to convey was "small pieces of candied nuts", but there
> seems to be no generic English word for that.

Um, candied nuts? An ingredient of fruit cake?

Snidely

Jun 15, 2022, 2:39:31 PM6/15/22
On Wednesday, Quinn C exclaimed wildly:
> * Madhu:
>
>> * Ken Blake <4bffahpcuqplsjlttoquah3tiine0que34 @4ax.com> :
>> Wrote on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:49:07 -0700:
>>> This been discussed here ad infinitum, but feel free to use the term
>>> "hot" dog any way you want. But as far as I'm concerned, the term "hot
>>> dog" can be applied to what you describe or to just what you call the
>>> "wiener." Frank/frankfurter/wiener are synonyms of "hot dog."
>>>
>>> However I will admit that back when I used to go to a barber named
>>> "Frank," I never called him "hot dog."
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, I never use the term "wiener."
>>
>> For what it's wurst
>
> Corn dogs - for batter or for wurst.

You're sticking it to us again.

/dps

--
And the Raiders and the Broncos have life now in the West. I thought
they were both nearly dead if not quite really most sincerely dead. --

Snidely

Jun 15, 2022, 3:40:48 PM6/15/22
Snidely suggested that ...
> On Wednesday, Quinn C exclaimed wildly:
>> * Madhu:
>>
>>> * Ken Blake <4bffahpcuqplsjlttoquah3tiine0que34 @4ax.com> :

>>> For what it's wurst
>>
>> Corn dogs - for batter or for wurst.
>
> You're sticking it to us again.

But I might get a handle on this thread anyway.

/dps

--
Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?

bruce bowser

Jun 15, 2022, 5:04:28 PM6/15/22
On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 2:39:31 PM UTC-4, snide...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, Quinn C exclaimed wildly:
> > * Madhu:
> >
> >> * Ken Blake <4bffahpcuqplsjlttoquah3tiine0que34 @4ax.com> :

> >> For what it's wurst
> >
> > Corn dogs - for batter or for wurst.
> You're sticking it to us again.

What else is USENET for?

Quinn C

Jun 15, 2022, 9:27:13 PM6/15/22
* Snidely:

> On Wednesday, Quinn C exclaimed wildly:
>> * Madhu:
>>
>>> * Ken Blake <4bffahpcuqplsjlttoquah3tiine0que34 @4ax.com> :

>>> For what it's wurst
>>
>> Corn dogs - for batter or for wurst.
>
> You're sticking it to us again.

Here in Quebec, they're usually called "pogo". Like so many foods, a
sticky subject.

--
Pogo togo? Nogo for me.

David Kleinecke

Jun 15, 2022, 11:41:41 PM6/15/22
My father told about the good woman of Natchez (where he was circa
1900) who described her disappointment with The World's Fair
(Chicago 1893). "I bought some candy" she said "and I asked for lots
of pinda. But they hardly gave me and pinda at all."

"Pinda" my father said meant peanut brittle.

bil...@shaw.ca

Jun 16, 2022, 1:24:06 AM6/16/22
In several languages, including Dutch, pinda means peanut.

bill

Quinn C

Jun 16, 2022, 9:57:22 AM6/16/22
I thought it obvious that only one of the three definitions fit the
context.

>> I still suspect that they call it praline instead of brittle in New
>> Orleans because of French tradition, not because it fundamentally means
>> something different.
>
> No, you didn't look at the article. Some pretty yucky French stuff
> was imported, and the "free black" (why not enslaved?) women
> made it good by substituting pecans and adding cream (not that
> you'd be aware of cream when you get a box of them as a birthday
> present.)
>
>> What I wanted to convey was "small pieces of candied nuts", but there
>> seems to be no generic English word for that.
>
> Um, candied nuts? An ingredient of fruit cake?

Don't try to invent another idiom, just take it at its base meaning:
nuts that have been candied (cooked in sugar syrup). That's common to
praline 2, praline 3, and brittle.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 16, 2022, 11:27:23 AM6/16/22
"invent another idiom"?? That was your invention.

A "candied apple" is not "cooked in sugar syrup." Maybe you're
doing a bebe... and taking some German word to be transferable
into English.

The peanuts in peanut brittle give no indication of having been
"cooked." They're just forced into a rectangular mold with the
yucky sticky stuff poured all over and between them.

(Otherwise you use "brittle" with a far wider referent than in English.)

bruce bowser

Jun 16, 2022, 3:21:29 PM6/16/22
And Bros means brittle? Hence, Pinda Bros.

Adam Funk

Jun 23, 2022, 9:30:08 AM6/23/22
Where does that word come from?

> Like so many foods, a sticky subject.

Desserts more so.

--
If hard data were the filtering criterion you could fit the entire
contents of the Internet on a floppy disk. ---Cecil Adams

Paul Wolff

Jun 23, 2022, 11:12:29 AM6/23/22
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022, at 14:20:14, Adam Funk posted:
>On 2022-06-16, Quinn C wrote:
>> * Snidely:
>>> On Wednesday, Quinn C exclaimed wildly:

>>> You're sticking it to us again.
>>
>> Here in Quebec, they're usually called "pogo".
>
>Where does that word come from?

Okefenokee, as I recall. And Walt Kelly?

>> Like so many foods, a sticky subject.
>
>Desserts more so.

Swamps too. It's the suction.
--
Paul

Quinn C

Jun 23, 2022, 1:06:41 PM6/23/22
* Adam Funk:

> On 2022-06-16, Quinn C wrote:
>
>> * Snidely:
>>
>>> On Wednesday, Quinn C exclaimed wildly:

>>> You're sticking it to us again.
>>
>> Here in Quebec, they're usually called "pogo".
>
> Where does that word come from?

I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.

But ultimately, from the pogo stick, no?

>> Like so many foods, a sticky subject.
>
> Desserts more so.

Sticky rice comes in sweet and savory dishes, and I love both.

Tony Cooper

Jun 23, 2022, 1:13:16 PM6/23/22
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:06:35 -0400, Quinn C
<lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:

>* Adam Funk:
>
>> On 2022-06-16, Quinn C wrote:
>>
>>> * Snidely:

>>> Here in Quebec, they're usually called "pogo".
>>
>> Where does that word come from?
>
>I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.

German trademark. In 1920 two Germans - Max Pohlig and Ernst
Gottschall - combined their names to patent "pogo" as the name of a
"spring end hopping stick".

>But ultimately, from the pogo stick, no?

Walt Kelly's comic strip didn't start running until 1948.

>>> Like so many foods, a sticky subject.
>>
>> Desserts more so.
>
>Sticky rice comes in sweet and savory dishes, and I love both.
--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Quinn C

Jun 23, 2022, 1:19:51 PM6/23/22
* Tony Cooper:
You went another step further, and thanks for that. What I was saying
above, however, is that "Pogo" was a US trademark for corn dogs before
becoming a genericized term in French, also used in Quebec English.

Lewis

Jun 23, 2022, 2:12:16 PM6/23/22
In message <5g79bhp2li70j9sb4...@4ax.com> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:06:35 -0400, Quinn C
> <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
>>* Adam Funk:

>>> Where does that word come from?

>>I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.

> German trademark. In 1920 two Germans - Max Pohlig and Ernst
> Gottschall - combined their names to patent "pogo" as the name of a
> "spring end hopping stick".

That is a theory, there is no evidence of that being the case, AFAIK.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but can you use the word 'asphalt' in polite

Tony Cooper

Jun 23, 2022, 3:59:19 PM6/23/22
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:19:45 -0400, Quinn C
I'm no expert on IP issues, but the Pogo brand of corn dogs is made by
Conagra Food Service, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. They show the ®
after Pogo, so it's a registered tradename. But, American or Canadian
or does it include both?

Adam Funk

Jun 23, 2022, 4:00:07 PM6/23/22
On 2022-06-23, Lewis wrote:

> In message <5g79bhp2li70j9sb4...@4ax.com> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:06:35 -0400, Quinn C
>> <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
>>>* Adam Funk:

>>>I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.
>
>> German trademark. In 1920 two Germans - Max Pohlig and Ernst
>> Gottschall - combined their names to patent "pogo" as the name of a
>> "spring end hopping stick".
>
> That is a theory, there is no evidence of that being the case, AFAIK.

I assume you mean no evidence that they combined their names? The
Wikipedia article has a link to the patent with those names on it.

--
I look back with the greatest pleasure to the kindness and hospitality
I met with in Yorkshire, where I spent some of the happiest years of

Adam Funk

Jun 23, 2022, 4:00:07 PM6/23/22
On 2022-06-23, Quinn C wrote:

> * Adam Funk:
>
>> On 2022-06-16, Quinn C wrote:
>>
>>> * Snidely:

>>> Here in Quebec, they're usually called "pogo".
>>
>> Where does that word come from?
>
> I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.
>
> But ultimately, from the pogo stick, no?

That's what I was wondering. I guess I can see some structural
resemblance!

>> Desserts more so.
>
> Sticky rice comes in sweet and savory dishes, and I love both.

When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
dish.

--
One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words 'Socialism' and
'Communism' draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice

Tony Cooper

Jun 23, 2022, 4:03:07 PM6/23/22
On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 18:12:11 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
<g.k...@gmail.dontemailme.com> wrote:

>In message <5g79bhp2li70j9sb4...@4ax.com> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:06:35 -0400, Quinn C
>> <lispa...@crommatograph.info> wrote:
>>>* Adam Funk:

>>>I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.
>
>> German trademark. In 1920 two Germans - Max Pohlig and Ernst
>> Gottschall - combined their names to patent "pogo" as the name of a
>> "spring end hopping stick".
>
>That is a theory, there is no evidence of that being the case, AFAIK.

I suppose anything written here can be challenged as not supported by
"evidence", but you might want to read:

https://inquisitivetoys.com/who-invented-the-pogo-stick/

Quinn C

Jun 23, 2022, 6:08:07 PM6/23/22
* Adam Funk:

> On 2022-06-23, Quinn C wrote:
>
>> * Adam Funk:

>>> Where does that word come from?
>>
>> I remember reading that it was a (US) trademark.
>>
>> But ultimately, from the pogo stick, no?
>
> That's what I was wondering. I guess I can see some structural
> resemblance!

I have no proof, but it seems likely.

>>> Desserts more so.
>>
>> Sticky rice comes in sweet and savory dishes, and I love both.
>
> When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
> buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
> dish.

Well, probably rice porridge aka congee aka various other names. If so,
that's not made from sticky rice, though.

Many sweet and savory sticky rice dishes are listed here:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice>

Lewis

Jun 23, 2022, 7:46:34 PM6/23/22
In message <9hseoix...@news.ducksburg.com> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On 2022-06-23, Lewis wrote:

>> In message <5g79bhp2li70j9sb4...@4ax.com> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> German trademark. In 1920 two Germans - Max Pohlig and Ernst
>>> Gottschall - combined their names to patent "pogo" as the name of a
>>> "spring end hopping stick".
>>
>> That is a theory, there is no evidence of that being the case, AFAIK.

> I assume you mean no evidence that they combined their names? The
> Wikipedia article has a link to the patent with those names on it.

The theory that the name was a combination of their names is just a
theory with no evidence to back it up, yes.

--
"The sad thing about true stupidity is that you can do absolutely
nothing about it." -- Mr Bartlett

Lewis

Jun 23, 2022, 7:49:17 PM6/23/22
In message <mkh9bhhv0n0apvr3h...@4ax.com> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 18:12:11 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
> <g.k...@gmail.dontemailme.com> wrote:

>>In message <5g79bhp2li70j9sb4...@4ax.com> Tony Cooper <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> German trademark. In 1920 two Germans - Max Pohlig and Ernst
>>> Gottschall - combined their names to patent "pogo" as the name of a
>>> "spring end hopping stick".
>>
>>That is a theory, there is no evidence of that being the case, AFAIK.

> I suppose anything written here can be challenged as not supported by
> "evidence", but you might want to read:

"A popular theory" is not evidence.

> https://inquisitivetoys.com/who-invented-the-pogo-stick/

Nothing on that page qualifies as evidence, three theories with no
supporting anything.

--
He [Rincewind] wondered how old the tower really was. Older than the
University, certainly. Older than the city, which had formed

bil...@shaw.ca

Jun 24, 2022, 2:20:07 AM6/24/22
On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 1:00:07 PM UTC-7, Adam Funk wrote:

> When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
> buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
> dish.

Abalone are in danger of extinction worldwide, I gather.

Abalone "porridge" is probably congee, a sort of rice pudding that can
have various ingredients, including sea critters.

bill

Richard Heathfield

Jun 24, 2022, 3:02:10 AM6/24/22
IIRC congealed rice once made it all the way to US Secretary of
State. Truly is it said that America is a land of opportunity.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within

Adam Funk

Jun 24, 2022, 4:00:07 AM6/24/22
On 2022-06-24, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:

> On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 1:00:07 PM UTC-7, Adam Funk wrote:
>
>> When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
>> buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
>> dish.
>>
> Abalone are in danger of extinction worldwide, I gather.

In my defence, I didn't know that at the time (2007).

> Abalone "porridge" is probably congee, a sort of rice pudding that can
> have various ingredients, including sea critters.

I never met a mollusk I didn't like.

--
We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. But then, so did
the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed

Adam Funk

Jun 24, 2022, 4:00:07 AM6/24/22
According to WP the foodstuff trademark belongs to a company based in
Chicago whose main market is Quebec.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_dog#Canada>

>>> Sticky rice comes in sweet and savory dishes, and I love both.
>>
>> When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
>> buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
>> dish.
>
> Well, probably rice porridge aka congee aka various other names. If so,
> that's not made from sticky rice, though.
>
> Many sweet and savory sticky rice dishes are listed here:
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice>

--
Musicians can run this state better than politicians. We won't get a
lot done in the mornings, but we'll work late and be honest.
---Kinky Friedman

Peter Moylan

Jun 24, 2022, 4:03:42 AM6/24/22
On 24/06/22 05:48, Adam Funk wrote:

> When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
> buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
> dish.

On that same topic: a popular dish in Singapore is "porridge". It has
almost nothing in common with English porridge. When I put that together
with your Korean experience, I have to conclude that East Asian porridge
is not what an English speaker would expect.

lar3ryca

Jun 24, 2022, 9:44:54 AM6/24/22
On 2022-06-24 01:51, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-06-24, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 1:00:07 PM UTC-7, Adam Funk wrote:
>>
>>> When I was in Busan (S. Korea) a while back, the hotel's breakfast
>>> buffet had something labelled "abalone porridge", which was a rice
>>> dish.
>>>
>> Abalone are in danger of extinction worldwide, I gather.
>
> In my defence, I didn't know that at the time (2007).
>

>> Abalone "porridge" is probably congee, a sort of rice pudding that can
>> have various ingredients, including sea critters.
>
> I never met a mollusk I didn't like.

Oy!

Slugs included?

--