walk into a door

tonbei

Aug 16, 2022, 11:08:35 AM8/16/22
I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.

The C-141 landed ten minutes early at Howard Field. After the clean, dry air of the Colorado Rockies, and the cleaner, thinner, and dryer air of the flight, the damp oven of the Isthmus of Panama was like walking into a door. The soldiers assembled their gear and allowed themselves to be herded off by the loadmaster. They were quiet and serious. The change in climate was a physical sign that play-time was over. ("Clear and Present Danger " by Tom Clancy, p205)

context (or situation): 1) Those soldiers had getton hard trainings in the Colorad Rockies.
2) They were assigned a special mission to do in Cental and South America.
question: about "walk into a door"
What's meant by "walk into a door" here?
I couldn't get a suitable image from that phrase. It may just mean: come into a room where air is not moving, and stagnant, against "going out into refreshing air".

Ken Blake

Aug 16, 2022, 11:16:09 AM8/16/22
On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 08:08:32 -0700 (PDT), tonbei <aut...@infoseek.jp>

Ken Blake

Aug 16, 2022, 11:17:00 AM8/16/22
On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 08:08:32 -0700 (PDT), tonbei <aut...@infoseek.jp>
wrote:

No, it means experiencing pain.

Hibou

Aug 16, 2022, 11:17:09 AM8/16/22
I think the idea is it was like walking into a door that was shut. Bang!

Clichéd, but one stage better, I think, would be to hold the oven
metaphor back for a second: ... the damp heat was like walking into an oven.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 16, 2022, 11:17:44 AM8/16/22
It means the shock of the hot, humid air was like the shock of bumping into
a door (which you expected to be open).

I've had that feeling after flying from New Mexico to Ohio, though I
think "walking into a door" is an exaggeration. In my unpublished
novel I wrote "the humidity hit him like a tarp".

--
Jerry Friedman

Richard Heathfield

Aug 16, 2022, 11:19:57 AM8/16/22
Find a shopping mall with a shop with a glass wall, one panel of
which is a door.

Walk through the wrong panel by mistake.

That feeling you get? Hold that feeling. No, not the
embarrassment, the other feeling. The sudden unexpected feeling
you get when you walk into a sudden unexpected obstacle? It's
like walking into a door.

In Clancy's case, the sudden unexpected obstacle is the
(metaphorically speaking) almost solid humidity.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Horace LaBadie

Aug 16, 2022, 11:29:36 AM8/16/22
In article <eab00f15-a2a7-40aa...@googlegroups.com>,
It's being likened to the shock of hitting a closed, glass door. You
don't see it until you hit it.

Ken Blake

Aug 16, 2022, 11:56:30 AM8/16/22
On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 16:19:52 +0100, Richard Heathfield
<r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>On 16/08/2022 4:08 pm, tonbei wrote:
>> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>>
>> The C-141 landed ten minutes early at Howard Field. After the clean, dry air of the Colorado Rockies, and the cleaner, thinner, and dryer air of the flight, the damp oven of the Isthmus of Panama was like walking into a door. The soldiers assembled their gear and allowed themselves to be herded off by the loadmaster. They were quiet and serious. The change in climate was a physical sign that play-time was over. ("Clear and Present Danger " by Tom Clancy, p205)
>>
>> context (or situation): 1) Those soldiers had getton hard trainings in the Colorad Rockies.
>> 2) They were assigned a special mission to do in Cental and South America.
>> question: about "walk into a door"
>> What's meant by "walk into a door" here?
>> I couldn't get a suitable image from that phrase. It may just mean: come into a room where air is not moving, and stagnant, against "going out into refreshing air".
>

>Find a shopping mall with a shop with a glass wall, one panel of
>which is a door.
>
>Walk through the wrong panel by mistake.
>
>That feeling you get? Hold that feeling. No, not the
>embarrassment, the other feeling. The sudden unexpected feeling
>you get when you walk into a sudden unexpected obstacle? It's
>like walking into a door.

It was in a hotel in Buenos Aires that I once walked outside by
walking through an open glass door.

It wasn't open. Ouch!

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Aug 16, 2022, 11:56:58 AM8/16/22
I have a cousin who's very prone to that. During the course of her life
she's had at least three avoidable accidents of that kind requiring
hopital visits.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Janet

Aug 16, 2022, 2:14:59 PM8/16/22
In article <eab00f15-a2a7-40aa-a021-
d9096b...@googlegroups.com>, aut...@infoseek.jp
says...

> I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
>
> The C-141 landed ten minutes early at Howard Field. After the clean, dry air of the Colorado Rockies,
and the cleaner, thinner, and dryer air of the flight,
the damp oven of the Isthmus of Panama was like walking
into a door. The soldiers assembled their gear and allowed
themselves to be herded off by the loadmaster. They were
quiet and serious. The change in climate was a physical
sign that play-time was over. ("Clear and Present
Danger " by Tom Clancy, p205)

> context (or situation): 1) Those soldiers had getton hard trainings in the Colorad Rockies.
> 2) They were assigned a special mission to do in Cental and South America.
> question: about "walk into a door"
> What's meant by "walk into a door" here?

The change of climate hit them in the face.

Janet

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 16, 2022, 3:07:11 PM8/16/22
Tangentially, I once lived in a block of student rooms; (we had 1 TV
licence between several hundred students!) where access was by a lot of
stairs and long corridors. The corridors where of such length that they
had additional firedoors set in them; to avoid^w lessen accidents these had
glass panes top & bottom. One day I was routinely walking at pace along one
such corridor, ahead of witnesses, and did the usual shove to get the door
out of the way, but just toppled embarrassingly through the missing upper
half. There. I feel better already.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 16, 2022, 3:28:59 PM8/16/22
Vid or it didn't happen.

Had the upper half been removed for a new pane of glass or something?

--
Jerry Friedman

bruce bowser

Aug 16, 2022, 3:35:01 PM8/16/22
On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 11:17:09 AM UTC-4, Hibou wrote:
> Le 16/08/2022 à 16:08, tonbei a écrit :
> > I have a question about the following sentences from a novel.
> >
> > The C-141 landed ten minutes early at Howard Field. After the clean, dry air of the Colorado Rockies, and the cleaner, thinner, and dryer air of the flight, the damp oven of the Isthmus of Panama was like walking into a door. The soldiers assembled their gear and allowed themselves to be herded off by the loadmaster. They were quiet and serious. The change in climate was a physical sign that play-time was over. ("Clear and Present Danger " by Tom Clancy, p205)
> >
> > context (or situation): 1) Those soldiers had getton hard trainings in the Colorad Rockies.
> > 2) They were assigned a special mission to do in Cental and South America.
> > question: about "walk into a door"
> > What's meant by "walk into a door" here?
> > I couldn't get a suitable image from that phrase. It may just mean: come into a room where air is not moving, and stagnant, against "going out into refreshing air".
> I think the idea is it was like walking into a door that was shut. Bang!

Or that if you try to walk through the door-way, you won't be able to because it will be shut.

J. J. Lodder

Aug 16, 2022, 4:06:00 PM8/16/22
Stefan Ram <r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
> >When you walk into a door, you collide with the door and get hurt.
>
> I once thought long and hard and came up with a very
> personal unique philosophy: life is like a maze of
> doors and they all open from the side you're on,
> just keep on pushing hard boy, try as you may!

Euro standards are that doors should open when pushed from the inside.

Good luck getting in,

Jan

charles

Aug 16, 2022, 5:10:56 PM8/16/22
In article <1pwsvqy.lavm13q2w3cxN%nos...@de-ster.demon.nl>,
I think that only applies to Fire Exits.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

J. J. Lodder

Aug 17, 2022, 4:49:30 AM8/17/22
charles <cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

> In article <1pwsvqy.lavm13q2w3cxN%nos...@de-ster.demon.nl>,
> J. J. Lodder <nos...@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
> > Stefan Ram <r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> > > I once thought long and hard and came up with a very
> > > personal unique philosophy: life is like a maze of
> > > doors and they all open from the side you're on,
> > > just keep on pushing hard boy, try as you may!
>
> > Euro standards are that doors should open when pushed from the inside.
>
> I think that only applies to Fire Exits.

All exits of public places, afaik, so only your home excepted.
And only for new buildings, again afaik,
so no need to change existing situations,

Jan

Kerr-Mudd, John

Aug 17, 2022, 5:59:11 AM8/17/22
Pre-videodays I think, OK maybe Betamax was the latest thing.

> Had the upper half been removed for a new pane of glass or something?

Yes.

> --
> Jerry Friedman

CDB

Aug 17, 2022, 7:15:21 AM8/17/22
Yes. That kind of change has also been compared to walking into a wall
of heat. Clancy may simply be trying for a variation on a stock phrase.

The effect would be one of shock rather than pain.

Bill Boei

Aug 17, 2022, 4:35:13 PM8/17/22
When I worked in an air-conditioned office in Toronto in the 1970s,
stepping outside at the end of the work day was like stepping into
a bowl of hot soup. My wife and I loved the city, but we left because
of the muggy summers. And the damp-chilly winters.

Spring and fall were fine, but they didn't last long enough.

bill

lar3ryca

Aug 18, 2022, 5:28:41 PM8/18/22
Or a sauna.

--
When you wake up in middle of a dream, do people in your dream say "Wow!
He just disappeared!"?

bruce bowser

Aug 19, 2022, 10:59:45 AM8/19/22
Would you even remember?