跳到第一則未讀訊息

arthurvv vart

未讀,
2021年9月22日 凌晨3:51:202021/9/22
收件者:
1) He is more smart than wise.
2) He is smart rather than wise.

Is there a difference in the meanings?

I think there is. '2' seems to be saying: He is smart but not wise.

'1' is saying he is both, but his smartness is greater than his wisdon.

Would you say that is correct?

Gratefully,
Navi

Mark Brader

未讀,
2021年9月22日 凌晨4:14:102021/9/22
收件者:
"Navi":
> 1) He is more smart than wise.
> 2) He is smart rather than wise.
>
> ...'2' seems to be saying: He is smart but not wise.
> '1' is saying he is both, but his smartness is greater than his wisdon.

I tend to agree, but I think it's a rather fussy distinction that some
people might not bother with.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "C takes the point of view that the programmer
m...@vex.net | is always right" -- Michael DeCorte

Peter T. Daniels

未讀,
2021年9月22日 上午8:46:142021/9/22
收件者:
On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 3:51:20 AM UTC-4, arthurvv vart wrote:

> 1) He is more smart than wise.
> 2) He is smart rather than wise.
>
> Is there a difference in the meanings?

(I) is proverbial, (2) is just insulting.

Jack

未讀,
2021年9月22日 下午4:26:472021/9/22
收件者:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 00:51:17 -0700 (PDT), arthurvv vart
<arthu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>1) He is more smart than wise.
>2) He is smart rather than wise.
>
>Is there a difference in the meanings?
>
>I think there is. '2' seems to be saying: He is smart but not wise.
>
>'1' is saying he is both, but his smartness is greater than his wisdon.

1 is actually saying that he's not very wise, with some
understatement.

He is smarter than he is wise.

--
Jack