slap..

1 view

psan...@hanmail.net

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
Hi can anyone help me?

1. I've got a blackmailing health inspector threatening to slap us
with a batch of safety violations we don't deserve.

Does the above mean "Health inspector wanted to punish me on a fine
for a batch of safety violations..."?

2. What is "House Salad" like?
I;ve searched the web, but there are lot's of them.
So I'm afraid I don't know how to define it.

Thanks in advance.
Sankyun.

Richard Fontana

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
On Sun, 6 Aug 2000 psan...@hanmail.net wrote:

> Hi can anyone help me?
>
> 1. I've got a blackmailing health inspector threatening to slap us
> with a batch of safety violations we don't deserve.
>
> Does the above mean "Health inspector wanted to punish me on a fine
> for a batch of safety violations..."?

Almost, but there's no reason to assume that the blackmailing inspector is
doing what he's doing to punish the speaker. 'Blackmail', if meant
literally here, means that the inspector is threatening to have the state
impose a penalty for violations the speaker hasn't committed in order to
extract a payment of some sort from the speaker to the inspector so that
the violations won't be 'written up' by the inspector. Blackmail is
typically done primarily for financial gain rather than to punish. If the
inspector just wanted to punish the speaker, he might write up phoney
violations so that the speaker would get in trouble with the state
authorities, but he wouldn't expect to personally receive payment from the
speaker in order to put a stop to his writing up of phony violations.

> 2. What is "House Salad" like?
> I;ve searched the web, but there are lot's of them.
> So I'm afraid I don't know how to define it.

It's a type of salad offered by a restaurant or similar public
sort of establishment (the "house") that is presented as being
that restaurant's particular version of the general salad concept. You
can't generalize much further, but I think a house salad is likely to be
relatively simple, conventional and traditional as far as salads go. Cf.
terms like "house wine", "specialty of the house", also not uncommon in
restaurantic usage; "on the house" = 'customer won't be charged'.

RF

W. Ivey

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00
<psan...@hanmail.net> wrote in message

> Hi can anyone help me?

[...]

> 2. What is "House Salad" like?
> I;ve searched the web, but there are lot's of them.
> So I'm afraid I don't know how to define it.

What they have in common, in almost every case, is that the
"house salad" is intended to be served with a meal, not as a
meal - for that reason it's often referred to as a "side
salad." (In some cases, the side salad is a smaller version
of the salad you would get if you ordered the house salad by
itself.) Sometimes it is included in the price of a meal,
or at a discount from the menu price if it is ordered with
a meal.

It will undoubtedly be the cheapest salad on the menu, and
probably the simplest - usually lettuce, tomato, and perhaps
thin slices of carrot, radish and/or cucumber. (One place I
dined just brought you a bowl of iceberg lettuce, and let it
go at that.) Often you can't tell what it will be like from
the menu, so asking that question is appropriate. -Wm

Mark Raymond

Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
psan...@hanmail.net wrote in <398d5ed3...@news.hitel.net>:

>Hi can anyone help me?
>

>1. I've got a blackmailing health inspector threatening to slap us
>with a batch of safety violations we don't deserve.
>
>Does the above mean "Health inspector wanted to punish me on a fine
>for a batch of safety violations..."?
>

>2. What is "House Salad" like?
>I;ve searched the web, but there are lot's of them.
>So I'm afraid I don't know how to define it.
>

>Thanks in advance.
>Sankyun.

SLAP = Sabotted Light Armour-Piercing (ie ammunition)