one/wan "Devuan"

Adam Funk

Jun 22, 2015, 4:45:13 AM6/22/15
From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:

Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.

Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
"DevOne" in English.

https://devuan.org/

--
A mathematical formula should never be "owned" by anybody! Mathematics
belong to God. --- Donald Knuth

Whiskers

Jun 22, 2015, 8:52:58 AM6/22/15
On 2015-06-22, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
> From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:
>
> Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.
>
> Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
> "DevOne" in English.
>
> https://devuan.org/

How long, I wonder, before the usual pronunciation is the English
rendition of the spelling - de view-an

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Will Parsons

Jun 22, 2015, 11:11:16 AM6/22/15
On Monday, 22 Jun 2015 8:52 AM -0400, Whiskers wrote:
> On 2015-06-22, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:
>>
>> Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.
>>
>> Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
>> "DevOne" in English.
>>
>> https://devuan.org/

To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".

> How long, I wonder, before the usual pronunciation is the English
> rendition of the spelling - de view-an

As soon as possible, let's hope.

--
Will

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jun 22, 2015, 11:52:37 AM6/22/15
On 2015-06-22 17:11:13 +0200, Will Parsons <va...@nodomain.invalid> said:

> On Monday, 22 Jun 2015 8:52 AM -0400, Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2015-06-22, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>>> From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:
>>>
>>> Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.
>>>
>>> Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
>>> "DevOne" in English.
>>>
>>> https://devuan.org/
>
> To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".

No, but what on earth pronunciation is "DevOne" supposed to represent?

It doesn't look much like an Italian word to me anyway. Looking at the
Italian Wikipedia page about Berlusconi, "ua" occurs mainly in words
like "quattro" and in words like "sua", together with a few others like
"situazione", but I can't find any examples of "vua". Apart from very
common short words like "con", "in" and "un" it also seems very unusual
for a word to end in n.

I wonder if they're thinking of Spanish, in which words ending in "uan"
are not too common either (apart from the name Juan), but when they
occur it's pronounced more or less (for people with a tin ear, the sort
of people who can't hear any difference between English "dome" and
German "Dom") like the English word "one".

>> How long, I wonder, before the usual pronunciation is the English
>> rendition of the spelling - de view-an
>
> As soon as possible, let's hope.

Do we need the word at all, however pronounced or spelt?

--
athel

Will Parsons

Jun 22, 2015, 12:22:27 PM6/22/15
It's a fork of Debian (GNU/Linux), so the name is intended to reflect
that. I just think it's unfortunate that a name was chosen where one
has to be clued in to using an unnatural/irregular pronunciaton.

--
Will

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 22, 2015, 3:07:46 PM6/22/15
On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 12:22:27 PM UTC-4, Will Parsons wrote:
> On Monday, 22 Jun 2015 11:52 AM -0400, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> >> To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".
> > No, but what on earth pronunciation is "DevOne" supposed to represent?
> > It doesn't look much like an Italian word to me anyway. Looking at the
> > Italian Wikipedia page about Berlusconi, "ua" occurs mainly in words
> > like "quattro" and in words like "sua", together with a few others like
> > "situazione", but I can't find any examples of "vua". Apart from very
> > common short words like "con", "in" and "un" it also seems very unusual
> > for a word to end in n.
> > I wonder if they're thinking of Spanish, in which words ending in "uan"
> > are not too common either (apart from the name Juan), but when they
> > occur it's pronounced more or less (for people with a tin ear, the sort
> > of people who can't hear any difference between English "dome" and
> > German "Dom") like the English word "one".

A British tin ear that can't hear the difference between AmE [ow] and BrE
[@U] has no business complaining about others' interpretations of unfamiliar
orthographies.

> >> As soon as possible, let's hope.

Are you expecting it to be a big seller?

> > Do we need the word at all, however pronounced or spelt?
>
> It's a fork of Debian (GNU/Linux), so the name is intended to reflect
> that. I just think it's unfortunate that a name was chosen where one
> has to be clued in to using an unnatural/irregular pronunciaton.

[wan] is how the English word "one" would be pronounced by an Italian-speaker
who hadn't made a very close study of English phonetics. [wan] would be spelled
<uan> in Italian, as it is in words like <quanto> (setting aside questions
of whether [kw] should be considered a sequence of two phonemes, or inherits
a labiovelar phoneme from Latin). The marketers attempted internationalization.

Will Parsons

Jun 22, 2015, 5:03:18 PM6/22/15
No, not at this point (although I would like it to be successful).

I just don't like the idea of the developers choosing a name and
pronunciation for that name that the users need to be clued in to. In
contrast, the developers of Mageia (another Linux distro) take the
attitude that the users can pronounce it however they want to. (In
case anyone cares, I pronounce it [mə'dʒaiə].)

>> > Do we need the word at all, however pronounced or spelt?
>>
>> It's a fork of Debian (GNU/Linux), so the name is intended to reflect
>> that. I just think it's unfortunate that a name was chosen where one
>> has to be clued in to using an unnatural/irregular pronunciaton.
>
> [wan] is how the English word "one" would be pronounced by an Italian-speaker
> who hadn't made a very close study of English phonetics. [wan] would be spelled
><uan> in Italian, as it is in words like <quanto> (setting aside questions
> of whether [kw] should be considered a sequence of two phonemes, or inherits
> a labiovelar phoneme from Latin). The marketers attempted internationalization.

A rather poor sort of internationalization. The desired pronunciation
"DevOne" (presumably ['dɛv 'wʌn]) can only be very approximately
described as an Italian pronunciation for "devuan". (The subject of
the status of Latin "qu", let alone Italian "qu", is a subject for
another discussion.)

--
Will

Robert Bannister

Jun 22, 2015, 10:49:05 PM6/22/15
On 22/06/2015 11:11 pm, Will Parsons wrote:
> On Monday, 22 Jun 2015 8:52 AM -0400, Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2015-06-22, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>>> From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:
>>>
>>> Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.
>>>
>>> Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
>>> "DevOne" in English.
>>>
>>> https://devuan.org/
>
> To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".

You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?

--
Robert Bannister
Perth, Western Australia

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 22, 2015, 11:38:21 PM6/22/15
Ah, the Italians are going specifically for the Australian market!

R H Draney

Jun 23, 2015, 12:07:08 AM6/23/15
Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote in news:curvouFjd2tU1
@mid.individual.net:
Usually not..."one" rhymes with "run", "wan" with "John"....

The pronunciation advice from Devuan was probably meant to indicate that
it's *not* pronounced "de-VOH-nee", as "DevOne" would be in Italian....r

Katy Jennison

Jun 23, 2015, 1:45:35 AM6/23/15
On 23/06/2015 05:06, R H Draney wrote:
> Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote in news:curvouFjd2tU1
> @mid.individual.net:

>>> To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".
>>
>> You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?
>
> Usually not..."one" rhymes with "run", "wan" with "John"....

Same here, although I can't speak for al BrE speakers.

> The pronunciation advice from Devuan was probably meant to indicate that
> it's *not* pronounced "de-VOH-nee", as "DevOne" would be in Italian....r

--
Katy Jennison

Peter Moylan

Jun 23, 2015, 2:06:52 AM6/23/15
On 22/06/15 18:45, Adam Funk wrote:
> From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:
>
> Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.
>
> Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
> "DevOne" in English.
>
> https://devuan.org/

It would be interesting to find out how an Italian would interpret this
statement. The usual rule in Italian is that the penultimate syllable --
in this case, the "vu" -- gets the stress. It's likely, though, that
multiple Italians would come up with conflicting opinions. As far as I
know, there's no Italian word that ends with "uan", although perhaps
there are Spaniards called Juan who are living in Italy.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Ross

Jun 23, 2015, 2:16:56 AM6/23/15
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 5:45:35 PM UTC+12, Katy Jennison wrote:
> On 23/06/2015 05:06, R H Draney wrote:
> > Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote in news:curvouFjd2tU1
> > @mid.individual.net:

> >> You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?
> >
> > Usually not..."one" rhymes with "run", "wan" with "John"....
>
> Same here, although I can't speak for al BrE speakers.

I agree on behalf of my own idiolect.

But I found an interesting note in Jones XVIII (Cambridge English
Pronouncing Dictionary, 2011). After giving the normal
"one"-rhymes-with-"run" /wVn/ pronunciation, they have
a little box:

"Note: The pronunciation /wɒn/ is increasingly widespread
in British English, but cannot yet be recommended as
representative of the accent being described here."

The un-recommended pronunciation is the one that
makes it rhyme with "John". (ASCII IPA /wA.n/)

Adam Funk

Jun 23, 2015, 5:00:09 AM6/23/15
I certainly don't.

--
Thinking about her this morning, lying in bed, and trying to get my
thoughts on the right track, I reached into the drawer of the bedstand,

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 23, 2015, 8:12:06 AM6/23/15
It's clearly two, not three, syllabies: de.vuan

Traddict

Jun 23, 2015, 11:23:15 AM6/23/15

"Peter Moylan" <pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> a écrit dans le message de groupe
de discussion : mmasv9$f9t$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 22/06/15 18:45, Adam Funk wrote:
>> From the Devuan GNU/Linux page:
>>
>> Our project is called Devuan ⁽™⁾.
>>
>> Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like
>> "DevOne" in English.
>>
>> https://devuan.org/
>
> It would be interesting to find out how an Italian would interpret this
> statement. The usual rule in Italian is that the penultimate syllable --
> in this case, the "vu" -- gets the stress.

Italian words are usually ended in vowels, except when the final vowel is
elided. In that case, the stress, which was originally on the penultimate
syllable as you wrote, remains on the same syllable, _which has become the
last syllable_. E.g.: "il profeSSOre" -> "ProfeSSOR Mateo".

It's likely, though, that
> multiple Italians would come up with conflicting opinions. As far as I
> know, there's no Italian word that ends with "uan", although perhaps
> there are Spaniards called Juan who are living in Italy.

According to the above-mentioned rule, "Devuan" would probably thought of by
Italians as "Devuano", "Devuane", etc." with an elision of the final vowel,
and therefore pronounced "devWAN".

Richard Tobin

Jun 23, 2015, 11:30:03 AM6/23/15
In article <mmarpt$kor$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Katy Jennison <ka...@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

>>> You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?

>> Usually not..."one" rhymes with "run", "wan" with "John"....

>Same here, although I can't speak for al BrE speakers.

I imagine I would pronounce "wan" to rhyme with "John", but the
occasion has not yet arisen and quite likely never will.

-- Richard

Traddict

Jun 23, 2015, 12:01:39 PM6/23/15

"Richard Tobin" <ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> a écrit dans le message de groupe
de discussion : mmbtr2$2nfj$3...@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk...
The pronunciation of "swan", "wand", etc. seems to bear you out.

> -- Richard

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Jun 23, 2015, 1:44:36 PM6/23/15
On 2015-06-23 08:52:50 +0000, Adam Funk said:

> On 2015-06-23, Robert Bannister wrote:

>>> To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".
>>
>> You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?
>
> I certainly don't.

Someone (I forget who, but I don't think it was you) suggested asking
an Italian, so I did. He found the statement "Devuan is spelled in
Italian" very odd. He said that there is no word "devuan" in Italian,
and he went further, saying that it _couldn't_ be an Italian word.

--
athel

Robert Bannister

Jun 23, 2015, 10:50:22 PM6/23/15
On 23/06/2015 12:06 pm, R H Draney wrote:
> Robert Bannister <rob...@clubtelco.com> wrote in news:curvouFjd2tU1
> @mid.individual.net:

>>> To me, an Italian pronunciation of "devuan" isn't "DevOne".
>>
>> You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?
>
> Usually not..."one" rhymes with "run", "wan" with "John"....
>
> The pronunciation advice from Devuan was probably meant to indicate that
> it's *not* pronounced "de-VOH-nee", as "DevOne" would be in Italian....r

Dammit. Vestiges of Leicestershire accent acquired from my mother. I
really do try to call the number "wun" these days, but I'm not consistent.

Peter Moylan

Jun 23, 2015, 11:43:03 PM6/23/15
Then they should spell it Devuane or DevOne. Or possibly Devono, which
is a genuine Italian word.

CDB

Jun 24, 2015, 9:08:23 AM6/24/15
On 23/06/2015 11:26 AM, Richard Tobin wrote:

>>> Usually not..."one" rhymes with "run", "wan" with "John"....

>> Same here, although I can't speak for al BrE speakers.

> I imagine I would pronounce "wan" to rhyme with "John", but the
> occasion has not yet arisen and quite likely never will.

Uno! Dos! Wan, two, tres, quatro ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJiGu6Gz8E

Adam Funk

Jun 24, 2015, 9:30:06 AM6/24/15
ITYM "Juan".

--
Cats don't have friends. They have co-conspirators.
http://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2015/05/31

Adam Funk

Jun 24, 2015, 9:30:06 AM6/24/15
On 2015-06-23, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

> On 2015-06-23 08:52:50 +0000, Adam Funk said:

>>> You don't pronounce "one" and "wan" the same?
>>
>> I certainly don't.
>
> Someone (I forget who, but I don't think it was you) suggested asking
> an Italian, so I did.

Not me, but it was a good idea.

> He found the statement "Devuan is spelled in
> Italian" very odd. He said that there is no word "devuan" in Italian,
> and he went further, saying that it _couldn't_ be an Italian word.

Interesting. It's not unheard of for trademarks & product names to be
very "odd" words in the language they're used in.

--
'...and Tom [Snyder] turns to him and says, "so Alice [Cooper], is it
true you kill chickens on stage?" That was the opening question, and

Peter Moylan

Jun 24, 2015, 11:31:54 PM6/24/15
One of those trays.

Dr Nick

Jun 30, 2015, 2:26:29 AM6/30/15
Which is my native pronunciation. "Won", "one" and "wan" are all
different.

mutters: Typical Cambridge anti-northern snobbery.

Ross

Jun 30, 2015, 2:43:00 AM6/30/15
Thanks, I'm glad to hear from one of those un-representatives.

So you're saying all three are different for you? Can you
give us an IPA, or at least rhymes? If "one" rhymes with
"John", what do "won" and "wan" rhyme with?

Adam Funk

Jun 30, 2015, 9:30:07 AM6/30/15
On 2015-06-30, Ross wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 6:26:29 PM UTC+12, Dr Nick wrote:
>> Ross <benl...@ihug.co.nz> writes:

>> > But I found an interesting note in Jones XVIII (Cambridge English
>> > Pronouncing Dictionary, 2011). After giving the normal
>> > "one"-rhymes-with-"run" /wVn/ pronunciation, they have
>> > a little box:
>> >
>> > "Note: The pronunciation /wɒn/ is increasingly widespread
>> > in British English, but cannot yet be recommended as
>> > representative of the accent being described here."
>> >
>> > The un-recommended pronunciation is the one that
>> > makes it rhyme with "John". (ASCII IPA /wA.n/)
>>
>> Which is my native pronunciation. "Won", "one" and "wan" are all
>> different.
>>
>> mutters: Typical Cambridge anti-northern snobbery.

+1 & ;-)

> Thanks, I'm glad to hear from one of those un-representatives.
>
> So you're saying all three are different for you? Can you
> give us an IPA, or at least rhymes? If "one" rhymes with
> "John", what do "won" and "wan" rhyme with?

For me, they're different. I think "wan" rhymes with "John", & "won"
is slightly different, with a bit of a glide; "one" rhymes with "bun".

--
I have a natural revulsion to any operating system that shows so
little planning as to have to named all of its commands after

Dr Nick

Jun 30, 2015, 4:24:47 PM6/30/15
Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> writes:

> On 2015-06-30, Ross wrote:

>>> Which is my native pronunciation. "Won", "one" and "wan" are all
>>> different.
>>>
>>> mutters: Typical Cambridge anti-northern snobbery.
>
> +1 & ;-)
>
>> Thanks, I'm glad to hear from one of those un-representatives.
>>
>> So you're saying all three are different for you? Can you
>> give us an IPA, or at least rhymes? If "one" rhymes with
>> "John", what do "won" and "wan" rhyme with?
>
> For me, they're different. I think "wan" rhymes with "John", & "won"
> is slightly different, with a bit of a glide; "one" rhymes with "bun".

"Wan" (which I probably slightly mispronounce) is like "ran". "Won" is
with "bun", and "one" is with "Jon" (and so I have "won" and "one" in
direct opposition to Adam, which is remarkable).

I also say "none" like "one" and "nun" like "won", which distresses some
people.

Adam Funk

Jul 1, 2015, 9:45:06 AM7/1/15
I can't guarantee that I'm not mispronouncing "wan", because it's not
in my active vocabulary.

--
The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine
him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote

Robert Bannister

Jul 1, 2015, 7:16:10 PM7/1/15
On 1/07/2015 9:32 pm, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2015-06-30, Dr Nick wrote:
>
>> Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> writes:

>>> For me, they're different. I think "wan" rhymes with "John", & "won"
>>> is slightly different, with a bit of a glide; "one" rhymes with "bun".
>>
>> "Wan" (which I probably slightly mispronounce) is like "ran". "Won" is
>> with "bun", and "one" is with "Jon" (and so I have "won" and "one" in
>> direct opposition to Adam, which is remarkable).
>
> I can't guarantee that I'm not mispronouncing "wan", because it's not
> in my active vocabulary.

Try saying sitting down.

thompsond...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 4:15:16 PM1/24/19
Its a name a real person's name being my own (Devuan John Thompson) before i was born my father had a dream of a man in a long light brown coat standing in a tunnel and walked up to my father and said to him his name is Devuan pronounced (Dev-one) and then he woke up the next morning and told my mother about the dream and shortly after that, i was born amd they told the doctor my name is Devuan John Thompson.