Any Cribbage Players?

Mack A. Damia

Mar 19, 2023, 11:06:46 AM3/19/23

My Dad taught me to play when I was a young teenager, and I taught a
friend, and we used to play practically everyday after school.

Dad taught me that the run goes to "21", and then you begin another
run. I have been aware for a while that the official rules call for
the run to go to 31, but I have always played the run going to 21.

I wonder if my Dad learned the game in the British Army, and the 21
score was an abbreviated version to make the game go faster in the war
zone. He may have played it on the beaches of Dunkirk or with Monty
in North Africa.

Official rules suggest avoiding the score of 21 as your opponent can
play a ten or face card for 31 for two points.

Any cribbage fans?

Pierre Jelenc

Mar 19, 2023, 1:44:53 PM3/19/23
In article <ve8e1i979tgon03qk...@4ax.com>,
Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Any cribbage fans?

I usually play a round against the machine pretty much every day. The
machine wins quite often...

https://cribbageclassic.com/

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

TonyCooper

Mar 19, 2023, 1:58:09 PM3/19/23
On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 17:44:49 -0000 (UTC), rc...@panix.com (Pierre
Jelenc) wrote:

>In article <ve8e1i979tgon03qk...@4ax.com>,
>Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Any cribbage fans?
>
>I usually play a round against the machine pretty much every day. The
>machine wins quite often...
>
>https://cribbageclassic.com/
>
>Pierre

I have that site bookmarked and play at least once a day and have been
for a year or so.

I usually run about 55% wins.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando,Florida

lar3ryca

Mar 19, 2023, 5:17:18 PM3/19/23
On 2023-03-19 11:44, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> In article <ve8e1i979tgon03qk...@4ax.com>,
> Mack A. Damia <drstee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Any cribbage fans?
>
> I usually play a round against the machine pretty much every day. The
> machine wins quite often...
>
> https://cribbageclassic.com/

In 1979 or '80, our Commodore PET user group had a booth at the PNE
(Pacific National Exhibition) in Vancouver, BC.

One of the programs running was a cribbage game. We had one fellow who
monopolized it for a couple of hours, and decided that the program was
cheating, as it won about 50% of the time, and he considered himself to
be much better than that. One of our members asked him if it seemed like
the cards dealt to him were biased toward the machine. He said no, but
felt that the machine pegged better.

I'm not sure we convinced him.

--
I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid.
He says he can stop any time.