(Very) weird comment made to me by Quinn C.

Paul Epstein

Nov 18, 2022, 1:14:37 PM11/18/22
Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread so that
it doesn't get lost in a morass of subthreads.
An ongoing thread went like this:

I said:
I've also observed monkeys (I forget which species) who fed themselves
one-handed.

Ken Blake then said:
If they fed themselves with their right hands, they were probably
allouatta muslimsis.

And since I was unable to find any reference to this species, I said:
I've never heard of that species. It was like 90% using their right hand,
10% using their left, just like humans do when they eat one-handed.
When I googled this, "muslimsis" didn't show up but "alouatta" did.

Then Quinn made the utterly brilliant reply:
You might want to google for "whoosh" next.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to WTF Quinn means??
Of course, I did google for "whoosh" but that didn't enlighten me.

Thank You

Paul Epstein

Quinn C

Nov 18, 2022, 1:19:03 PM11/18/22
* Paul Epstein:
See <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whoosh#Interjection>

Btw, I'd have named the species "A. muslimensis", but that's just by
feeling.

--
Veronica: You named your puppy "The Missus"?
Cliff: Says the owner of a dog named "Pony".

Paul Epstein

Nov 18, 2022, 1:30:00 PM11/18/22
On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:19:03 PM UTC, Quinn C wrote:
> * Paul Epstein:
> > Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread so that
> > it doesn't get lost in a morass of subthreads.
> > An ongoing thread went like this:
> >
> > I said:
> > I've also observed monkeys (I forget which species) who fed themselves
> > one-handed.
> >
> > Ken Blake then said:
> > If they fed themselves with their right hands, they were probably
> > allouatta muslimsis.
> >
> > And since I was unable to find any reference to this species, I said:
> > I've never heard of that species. It was like 90% using their right hand,
> > 10% using their left, just like humans do when they eat one-handed.
> > When I googled this, "muslimsis" didn't show up but "alouatta" did.
> >
> > Then Quinn made the utterly brilliant reply:
> > You might want to google for "whoosh" next.
> >
> > Can anyone hazard a guess as to WTF Quinn means??
> > Of course, I did google for "whoosh" but that didn't enlighten me.
> See <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whoosh#Interjection>
>
> Btw, I'd have named the species "A. muslimensis", but that's just by
> feeling.

"muslimensis" is the name of an ancestor of modern humans, I think,
so I don't think it's what Ken meant.

It's hard to understand how you can say "whoosh" to indicate that I missed
the point when the point I made was to try to identify the species that Ken
specifically referred to.

Is your point that, since we're in a discussion about monkeys, you're trying to
impersonate a dumbass on the grounds that monkeys and apes are often
caricatured as being like a less intelligent form of human?

Otherwise, I'm just as confused about your point(s) as ever?

Paul Epstein

Bebercito

Nov 18, 2022, 1:41:31 PM11/18/22
What you missed is that Ken seems to have coined "muslimensis" as a
subspecies name for "alouatta" in reference to Muslims being expected
to eat with their right hand, in accordance with their religious principles.

bruce bowser

Nov 18, 2022, 1:49:25 PM11/18/22
On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 1:14:37 PM UTC-5, Paul Epstein wrote:
> Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread so that
> it doesn't get lost in a morass of subthreads.
> An ongoing thread went like this:
>
> I said:
> I've also observed monkeys

(as separate from gorillas, other apes, gibbons, chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, or lemur, loris, or tarsier)

Paul Epstein

Nov 18, 2022, 2:17:48 PM11/18/22
These days, it's probably not considered an acceptable joke anywhere outside India,
but, as an 85 year old, it's an understandable lapse from Ken.

Paul Epstein

Jerry Friedman

Nov 18, 2022, 2:46:07 PM11/18/22

You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
/Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.

Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I know,
-ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the Latin
Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".

https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/la/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html

--
Jerry Friedman

Paul Epstein

Nov 18, 2022, 3:55:08 PM11/18/22
Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer into anti-Islam racism.
When I saw that quote, I assumed that this was a discussion about ancestors of our species.

As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where
anti-Islam prejudice can lead.

Paul Epstein

bruce bowser

Nov 18, 2022, 4:04:10 PM11/18/22
Is that and anti-African racism not typical of the days down market situation?
(or do you have new information for us?)

Adam Funk

Nov 18, 2022, 4:15:08 PM11/18/22
Well, must be the canonical word.

--
I have a great programming joke but it's only
funny on my machine.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 18, 2022, 4:31:41 PM11/18/22
> > You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
> > muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
> > /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.
> > Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I know,
> > -ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the Latin
> > Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".
> > https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/la/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html
>
> Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer into anti-Islam racism.
> When I saw that quote, I assumed that this was a discussion about ancestors of our species.
>
> As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where
> anti-Islam prejudice can lead.

Incidentally, in AUE "whoosh" means someone didn't get a joke.
It whooshed over someone's head.

I didn't look up allouatta until just now. It's simply the howler
monkey genus (and hence should be capitalized).

Paul Epstein

Nov 18, 2022, 4:46:16 PM11/18/22
I have information which is new to me -- Michael Smith has beaten Joe Cullen to reach
the semi-finals of the ongoing Grand Slam of Darts.
I don't have any particularly new information about racism but obviously I don't like it.

Paul Epstein

Ken Blake

Nov 18, 2022, 5:55:25 PM11/18/22
Thanks for saving me the trouble of explaining.

Ken Blake

Nov 18, 2022, 5:59:32 PM11/18/22
My "muslimsis" wasn't meant to be good Latin. My knowledge of Latin is
poor. It was simply a made-up species including the letters m u s l i
m.

Quinn C

Nov 18, 2022, 7:14:01 PM11/18/22
* Jerry Friedman:
I think you're right. It's just so common in naming species that it
seemed natural.

> With some help from the Latin
> Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)

Richard Heathfield

Nov 19, 2022, 4:29:28 AM11/19/22
I'm not in India, but it's acceptable where I am. Some of us are
more tolerant than others.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Pamela

Nov 19, 2022, 4:57:57 AM11/19/22
On 20:55 18 Nov 2022, Paul Epstein said:
> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 7:46:07 PM UTC, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>

>> [SNIP]
>>
>> You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
>> muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
>> /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.
>>
>> Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I know,
>> -ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the Latin
>> Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".
>>
>> https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/la/apost_exhortations/doc
>> uments/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html
>>
>> --
>> Jerry Friedman
>
> Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer into
> anti-Islam racism. When I saw that quote, I assumed that this was a
> discussion about ancestors of our species.
>
> As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is
> unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where anti-Islam
> prejudice can lead.
>
> Paul Epstein

Is Islam a race?

Even if it were, does that make anyone who draws attention to the
shortcomings of Islam a racist?

occam

Nov 19, 2022, 6:34:57 AM11/19/22
No it's not. Unless by 'where I am' you mean in your own household.
Political correctness is the same in the UK as anywhere else, especially
when it comes to religions and cultures. Ask your Hindu PM.

occam

Nov 19, 2022, 6:37:18 AM11/19/22
On 18/11/2022 19:41, Bebercito wrote:
> What you missed is that Ken seems to have coined "muslimensis" as a
> subspecies name for "alouatta" in reference to Muslims being expected
> to eat with their right hand, in accordance with their religious principles.

Do you know the true origin of the 'religious principle' of Muslims not
handling food with their left hand?

Ken Blake

Nov 19, 2022, 9:03:48 AM11/19/22
As I understand it, it's because the left hand is the one used to wipe
their asses.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 19, 2022, 11:15:18 AM11/19/22
And that's no bull!

--
Jerry Friedman

Quinn C

Nov 19, 2022, 11:49:07 AM11/19/22
* Jerry Friedman:
Thanks for steering us in the ortho... I mean, right direction.

--
Quinn: I'm not very good at talking to boys.
Zoey: It's easy! It's just like talking to girls, but you got to

Dingbat

Nov 19, 2022, 1:22:45 PM11/19/22
Howling monkey, I think. I remember from when a naturalist
reported that they urinated on him for trying to observe them.
Unless he made a howler in calling them howling monkeys.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 19, 2022, 2:01:27 PM11/19/22
I object to that sentence.
One hand. Multiple "asses".

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Nov 19, 2022, 2:06:17 PM11/19/22
Which reminds me of watching a Youtube video last night, in which the
word "Papal" was pronounced in a way that rhymed with apple.

It may be 'correct' in some dialect, but it landed with a clunk on my
ear, every time.

--
Sam Plusnet

Ken Blake

Nov 19, 2022, 5:31:19 PM11/19/22
It's a lot of work, but someone has to do it.

Adam Funk

Nov 20, 2022, 4:45:07 AM11/20/22
I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced in English other than with
the "face" vowel in the first syllable. It certainly would be jarring.

--
And awful things are happening: we've let this drama fold,
and now the time has come at last to crush the motif of the rose.

Adam Funk

Nov 20, 2022, 4:45:08 AM11/20/22
If you mean it, put a seal on it.

--
Classical Greek lent itself to the promulgation of a rich culture,
indeed, to Western civilization. Computer languages bring us

Jerry Friedman

Nov 20, 2022, 10:08:39 AM11/20/22

> >> Well, must be the canonical word.
> >
> > And that's no bull!

> If you mean it, put a seal on it.

My desk doesn't harbor seals.

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Nov 20, 2022, 10:13:37 AM11/20/22
On Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 2:45:07 AM UTC-7, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-11-19, Sam Plusnet wrote:

[pontification]

> > Which reminds me of watching a Youtube video last night, in which the
> > word "Papal" was pronounced in a way that rhymed with apple.
> >
> > It may be 'correct' in some dialect, but it landed with a clunk on my
> > ear, every time.

> I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced in English other than with
> the "face" vowel in the first syllable. It certainly would be jarring.

The "apple" pronounciation isn't in M-W. I don't know where to look
for possible non-standard British pronunciations.

--
Jerry Friedman

Ken Blake

Nov 20, 2022, 11:11:42 AM11/20/22
Either buy a bigger desk or trade your seal in for a Galápagos fur
seal.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 20, 2022, 2:29:52 PM11/20/22
You could ditch Windows and harbour the Penguin.

--
Sam Plusnet

lar3ryca

Nov 20, 2022, 3:51:25 PM11/20/22
That thar's a fur piece away, pardner.

--
A baby seal walks into a club...

Peter Moylan

Nov 20, 2022, 8:30:32 PM11/20/22
On 19/11/22 20:57, Pamela wrote:
> On 20:55 18 Nov 2022, Paul Epstein said:
>> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 7:46:07 PM UTC, Jerry Friedman
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> [SNIP]
>>>
>>> You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that
>>> "Homo muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe
>>> what /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I
>>> know, -ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the
>>> Latin Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".
>>>
>>> https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/la/apost_exhortations/doc

uments/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html

>> Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer into
>> anti-Islam racism. When I saw that quote, I assumed that this was
>> a discussion about ancestors of our species.
>>
>> As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is
>> unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where anti-Islam
>> prejudice can lead.
>
> Is Islam a race?
>
> Even if it were, does that make anyone who draws attention to the
> shortcomings of Islam a racist?

Calling it a shortcoming might be offensive, but I don't see anything
offensive in what Ken wrote. Muslims are quite open about their using a
particular hand for eating, and would quite possibly laugh at Ken's joke.

Dingbat

Nov 20, 2022, 8:47:33 PM11/20/22
I haven't either but that brings this thought to mind:
One could quite easily contrive PAPPAL as an adjective of PAP (father)
but it seems a bear to form an adjective from Papa (father) or Lama
(Tibetan Buddhist monk).

Dingbat

Nov 20, 2022, 10:05:14 PM11/20/22
On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 11:46:07 AM UTC-8, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 11:30:00 AM UTC-7, Paul Epstein wrote:
> > On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:19:03 PM UTC, Quinn C wrote:
> > > * Paul Epstein:

> > > See <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whoosh#Interjection>
> > >
> > > Btw, I'd have named the species "A. muslimensis", but that's just by
> > > feeling.
> > "muslimensis" is the name of an ancestor of modern humans, I think,
> > so I don't think it's what Ken meant.
>
> You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
> muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
> /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.

Referring to Islamists as Muslimensis is a misnomer unless one thinks
all Muslims are Islamists: One could call Islamists a subspecies of
Muslimus and name them Muslimus Thanatophilus, going by the
following:

This paper describes those of the 'Islamist Weltanschatuung' as having
a 'Thanatophile ideology'.
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/field_document/ACLURM001331.pdf

> Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I know,
> -ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the LThiatin

Richard Heathfield

Nov 21, 2022, 4:24:58 AM11/21/22
Yes, it is.

> Unless by 'where I am' you mean in your own household.

I do.

> Political correctness is the same in the UK as anywhere else

Intolerance is indeed the same in the UK as elsewhere. Some
people are tolerant, and others (politically correct people) are
intolerant. Which kind are you?

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 21, 2022, 4:33:31 AM11/21/22
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:24:53 +0000
Richard Heathfield <r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

[]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You_Tolerate_This_Your_Children_Will_Be_Next

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Adam Funk

Nov 21, 2022, 5:45:08 AM11/21/22
The OED only has these:

Brit. /ˈpeɪpl/
U.S. /ˈpeɪp(ə)l/

--
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.
---Spock

Richard Heathfield

Nov 21, 2022, 7:43:47 AM11/21/22
On 19/11/2022 9:57 am, Pamela wrote:
> On 20:55 18 Nov 2022, Paul Epstein said:
>> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 7:46:07 PM UTC, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>>>

>>> [SNIP]
>>>
>>> You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
>>> muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
>>> /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I know,
>>> -ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the Latin
>>> Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".
>>>
>>> https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/la/apost_exhortations/doc
>>> uments/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jerry Friedman
>>
>> Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer into
>> anti-Islam racism. When I saw that quote, I assumed that this was a
>> discussion about ancestors of our species.
>>
>> As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is
>> unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where anti-Islam
>> prejudice can lead.
>
> Is Islam a race?

And of course the answer is "no".

Pamela

Nov 21, 2022, 8:12:10 AM11/21/22
Regarding "offensive" comments, Liberty UK points out:

"We have the right to express ourselves freely and hold our own
opinions – even if our views are unpopular or could upset or offend
others."

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/right/freedom-of-expression/

As some English judges said recently:

Presiding over a case in the Court of Appeal, Lord Justice Bean and
Mr Justice Warby said: 'Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not
worth having'.

They added that 'free speech encompasses the right to offend, and
indeed to abuse another'. The judgment from two senior members of
the judiciary will set a precedent for future cases involving
freedom of speech.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9066069/Woke-folk-beware-
Freedom-speech-includes-right-offend-say-judges-landmark-ruling.html

Quinn C

Nov 21, 2022, 9:17:24 AM11/21/22
* Paul Epstein:

> Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread

Let me point out that part of traditional Usenet netiquette as I learned
it is not to put a poster's name in the subject line. I believe the
reason is that it's often used when someone is trolling about a person.
Knowing you, I didn't expect that when opening the post, but seeing that
subject line did raise an eyebrow.

--
It's a strange sensation, dying. No matter how many times it happens
to you, you never get used to it.

Adam Funk

Nov 21, 2022, 9:30:07 AM11/21/22
On 2022-11-18, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 11:30:00 AM UTC-7, Paul Epstein wrote:
>> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:19:03 PM UTC, Quinn C wrote:
>> > * Paul Epstein:

>> > See <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whoosh#Interjection>
>> >
>> > Btw, I'd have named the species "A. muslimensis", but that's just by
>> > feeling.
>> "muslimensis" is the name of an ancestor of modern humans, I think,
>> so I don't think it's what Ken meant.
>
> You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
> muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
> /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.

"Great Replacement" drivel?

--
she's as beautiful as a foot,
she heard someone say, the other day

CDB

Nov 21, 2022, 11:06:49 AM11/21/22
On 11/21/2022 9:17 AM, Quinn C wrote:
> Paul Epstein:

>> Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread

> Let me point out that part of traditional Usenet netiquette as I
> learned it is not to put a poster's name in the subject line. I
> believe the reason is that it's often used when someone is trolling
> about a person. Knowing you, I didn't expect that when opening the
> post, but seeing that subject line did raise an eyebrow.

Phew. Lucky thing he didn't use your real name, O.C.

CDB

Nov 21, 2022, 11:13:51 AM11/21/22
On 11/21/2022 7:43 AM, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>> Paul Epstein said:

uments/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html

>>> Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer
>>> into anti-Islam racism. When I saw that quote, I assumed that
>>> this was a discussion about ancestors of our species.

>>> As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is
>>> unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where
>>> anti-Islam prejudice can lead.

>> Is Islam a race?

> And of course the answer is "no".

it's better than a race. It's a Protected Category.

--
And not just by the new bien-pensants; the Muslim Anti-defamation League
has you in its sights.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 21, 2022, 11:38:01 AM11/21/22
On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 8:12:10 AM UTC-5, Pamela wrote:

> As some English judges said recently:
>
> Presiding over a case in the Court of Appeal, Lord Justice Bean and
> Mr Justice Warby said: 'Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not
> worth having'.
>
> They added that 'free speech encompasses the right to offend, and
> indeed to abuse another'. The judgment from two senior members of
> the judiciary will set a precedent for future cases involving
> freedom of speech.
>
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9066069/Woke-folk-beware-
> Freedom-speech-includes-right-offend-say-judges-landmark-ruling.html

And it only took until December 2020 for Freedom of Speech to be
added to the supposed "constitution" of the UK.

occam

Nov 21, 2022, 11:45:53 AM11/21/22
On 21/11/2022 10:24, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 19/11/2022 11:34 am, occam wrote:
>> On 19/11/2022 10:29, Richard Heathfield wrote:

<snip>

>>> I'm not in India, but it's acceptable where I am.
>>
>> No it's not.
>
> Yes, it is.
>
>> Unless by 'where I am' you mean in your own household.
>
> I do.
>
>> Political correctness is the same in the UK as anywhere else
>
> Intolerance is indeed the same in the UK as elsewhere. Some people are
> tolerant, and others (politically correct people) are intolerant. Which
> kind are you?

I'm the kind that enjoys a joke, no matter who it offends. Particularly
people who are offended by the slightest. (You sound as if you are. )

Jerry Friedman

Nov 21, 2022, 1:28:53 PM11/21/22
I think you'll find that there's continuous variation from fairly tolerant
to fairly intolerant, and people in the middle of the spectrum will
tolerate and refuse to tolerate different things. And that intolerant
people include the politically correct and others, unless you have
an unusually broad definition of "politically correct".

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Nov 21, 2022, 1:44:17 PM11/21/22
On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 12:46:07 PM UTC-7, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 11:30:00 AM UTC-7, Paul Epstein wrote:
> > On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:19:03 PM UTC, Quinn C wrote:
> > > * Paul Epstein:

> > > See <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whoosh#Interjection>
> > >
> > > Btw, I'd have named the species "A. muslimensis", but that's just by
> > > feeling.

> Incidentally, I doubt "muslimensis" is good Latin. As far as I know,
> -ensis refers to geographic origin. With some help from the Latin
> Wikipedia, I see John Paul II used "muslimus".
>
> https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/la/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_14091995_ecclesia-in-africa.html

I wasn't there yet. "Alouatta" is feminine (there's a species
/A. nigerrima/), so it would have been "muslima".

--
Jerry Friedman

bruce bowser

Nov 21, 2022, 1:49:34 PM11/21/22
Offensiveness does not help victimized groups. You know that.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 21, 2022, 1:59:51 PM11/21/22
On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 5:43:47 AM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 19/11/2022 9:57 am, Pamela wrote:

> >> Yes, I was. I didn't expect that this discussion would veer into
> >> anti-Islam racism. When I saw that quote, I assumed that this was a
> >> discussion about ancestors of our species.
> >>
> >> As I alluded to in my previous posting in this chain, India is
> >> unfortunately providing many horrific examples of where anti-Islam
> >> prejudice can lead.
> >
> > Is Islam a race?
>
> And of course the answer is "no".

And of course some people use "racism" to refer to other prejudices
against groups of people.

The possibly amusing thing here is that the troll [*] who mentioned
"Homo muslimensis" seems to believe, if you take him literally, that
Islam is not only a race but a different species.

[*] I believe I recognized his name from trolling posts here and
elsewhere.

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

Nov 21, 2022, 2:02:31 PM11/21/22
On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 7:30:07 AM UTC-7, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2022-11-18, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 11:30:00 AM UTC-7, Paul Epstein wrote:

> >> "muslimensis" is the name of an ancestor of modern humans, I think,
> >> so I don't think it's what Ken meant.
> >
> > You may have been misled by a nasty on-line suggestion that "Homo
> > muslimensis" was trying to do to /Homo sapiens/ in Europe what
> > /Homo sapiens/ did to the Neanderthals.

> "Great Replacement" drivel?

Apparently something like it, from what Google showed me. I didn't
click.

--
Jerry Friedman

bil...@shaw.ca

Nov 21, 2022, 2:23:45 PM11/21/22

> A baby seal walks into a club...

"Waddle you have?" said the bartender.

bill

Paul Wolff

Nov 21, 2022, 3:01:17 PM11/21/22
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022, at 10:28:50, Jerry Friedman posted:
>On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 2:24:58 AM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
The whole meaning of tolerance or toleration is putting up with
something that is imperfect from your point of view. How wide that
imperfection goes before you will cease to tolerate it must surely vary
from one sort of imperfection to another. So if you try to say of
someone that they are more or less tolerant than another person, that
only makes sense if you specify the kind of imperfection you are talking
about - and the amount of tolerance shown among a group of people must
vary according to what it is that they are tolerating.

I may be highly intolerant of rudeness towards servants, but most
tolerant of rudeness towards people who treat public highways as car
parks. Someone else may take the opposite line. My tolerance band may be
wide in one instance and narrow in the other. The someone else may be
differently tolerant in each case. Which of us is the more tolerant
person? And we haven't started yet to compare on racism, or on cultural
appropriation, or on table manners.

>And that intolerant
>people include the politically correct and others, unless you have
>an unusually broad definition of "politically correct".

I don't need to go on.
--
Paul

Paul Epstein

Nov 21, 2022, 6:17:55 PM11/21/22
On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 2:17:24 PM UTC, Quinn C wrote:
> * Paul Epstein:
>
> > Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread
> Let me point out that part of traditional Usenet netiquette as I learned
> it is not to put a poster's name in the subject line. I believe the
> reason is that it's often used when someone is trolling about a person.
> Knowing you, I didn't expect that when opening the post, but seeing that
> subject line did raise an eyebrow.

Ok, my apologies. I won't do it again. I actually didn't know about that rule
of etiquette, but it does make sense as being a good etiquette rule.
Your post about my reaction [something like "did you google 'whoosh'? "]
did wind me up the wrong way, but that's not an excuse.
In rec.games.backgammon, I think it's considered ok to use other posters'
first names in a subject title, but this is always done in a friendly and jokey
way to raise interesting questions about previous posts.
For example, someone might open a thread there with the title: "Paul would
call this a blitz cube."

Anyway, I was wrong. My apologies. Mea culpa etc.

Paul Epstein

Tony Cooper

Nov 21, 2022, 11:02:20 PM11/21/22
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 15:17:52 -0800 (PST), Paul Epstein
<peps...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 2:17:24 PM UTC, Quinn C wrote:
>> * Paul Epstein:
>>
>> > Quinn said something that I think deserves its own thread
>> Let me point out that part of traditional Usenet netiquette as I learned
>> it is not to put a poster's name in the subject line. I believe the
>> reason is that it's often used when someone is trolling about a person.
>> Knowing you, I didn't expect that when opening the post, but seeing that
>> subject line did raise an eyebrow.
>
>Ok, my apologies. I won't do it again. I actually didn't know about that rule
>of etiquette, but it does make sense as being a good etiquette rule.

It is done, though, when it it appears as "PING (name)". That's a
signal to (name) that the post is directly intended for that person.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

lar3ryca

Nov 21, 2022, 11:03:49 PM11/21/22
On 2022-11-21 13:23, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:

>> A baby seal walks into a club...
>
> "Waddle you have?" said the bartender.

A termite walks into a bar and asks, "Is the bar tender here?"

--
The older I get, the smarter I was.

Dingbat

Nov 21, 2022, 11:23:50 PM11/21/22
Alternatively, it insinuates that they view themselves as a
different and superior species.

For comparison:
It says here that some call the Jews the Chosen not to say
that they are chosen but to call them supremacist.

What Does Being the 'Chosen People' Mean? NOT ... - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlbesmUjcM

Dingbat

Nov 22, 2022, 1:01:35 AM11/22/22
BTW, such a term is not always pejorative. This article with a title
containing Homo Islamicus is authored by Muslims and
published by the Islamic journal of Finance:
https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJIF-05-2021-0102/full/html

It seems to identify Islamic finance as different from the usual
without necessarily asserting that non-Muslims are fools or
scoundrels to avail themselves of other kinds of finance.

Bertel Lund Hansen

Nov 22, 2022, 2:15:06 AM11/22/22
Den 22.11.2022 kl. 07.01 skrev Dingbat:

> It seems to identify Islamic finance as different from the usual
> without necessarily asserting that non-Muslims are fools or
> scoundrels to avail themselves of other kinds of finance.

Muslims are not allowed to pay or take interests.

--
Bertel

Richard Heathfield

Nov 22, 2022, 2:23:31 AM11/22/22
Do I? How remarkable.

I'm of the kind that thinks people who are offended should be
adult enough to deal with it without intruding upon other
people's freedom.

Richard Heathfield

Nov 22, 2022, 2:25:29 AM11/22/22
I don't think I do, and I think I find myself broadly in
agreement with the above. <AOL>, so to speak.

Peter Moylan

Nov 22, 2022, 6:12:32 AM11/22/22
Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?

Richard Heathfield

Nov 22, 2022, 6:26:14 AM11/22/22
On 22/11/2022 11:12 am, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 22/11/22 18:15, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
>> Den 22.11.2022 kl. 07.01 skrev Dingbat:
>>
>>> It seems to identify Islamic finance as different from the usual
>>> without necessarily asserting that non-Muslims are fools or
>>> scoundrels to avail themselves of other kinds of finance.
>>
>> Muslims are not allowed to pay or take interests.
>
> Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?

Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of
the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin
and death."

Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
bound by religious law.

Peter Moylan

Nov 22, 2022, 8:49:53 AM11/22/22
On 22/11/22 22:26, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 11:12 am, Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> Muslims are not allowed to pay or take interests.
>>
>> Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?
>
> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who
> are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the
> Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and
> death."

The "law of sin and death" is so vague that it is not clear that it
covers usury. Our knowledge of mediaeval times, though, make it clear
that one could only borrow from Jews, because Christians - who could not
charge interest - were unwilling to make loans.

> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
> bound by religious law.

Quite right. They were free to lend to fellow Christians at zero
interest, but they chose not to.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 22, 2022, 10:33:41 AM11/22/22
On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 6:12:32 AM UTC-5, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 22/11/22 18:15, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
> > Den 22.11.2022 kl. 07.01 skrev Dingbat:

> >> It seems to identify Islamic finance as different from the usual
> >> without necessarily asserting that non-Muslims are fools or
> >> scoundrels to avail themselves of other kinds of finance.
> > Muslims are not allowed to pay or take interests.
>
> Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?

What are you referring to?

occam

Nov 22, 2022, 10:49:09 AM11/22/22
Lending and borrowing? Apparently even the best self-avowed Christian
Banks are not a match for Muslim Banks which neither charge nor pay
interests.

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 22, 2022, 11:06:03 AM11/22/22
Yes, we know what "interest" is. If you claim to know of a Scriptural
or ecclesiastical prohibition of lending at interest, kindly cite it.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 22, 2022, 1:37:47 PM11/22/22
On 22-Nov-22 11:26, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 11:12 am, Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> Muslims are not allowed to pay or take interests.
>>
>> Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?
>
> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are
> in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who
> gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death."
>
> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not bound
> by religious law.

And hence not bound by the strictures contained in the Old Testament?

So, if Jesus said nothing at all about gay people (AIUI), then
Christians have absolutely no business being hostile towards gay people.

There are more than a few out there who need to read the memo.

--
Sam Plusnet

Richard Heathfield

Nov 22, 2022, 2:08:45 PM11/22/22
On 22/11/2022 1:49 pm, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 22/11/22 22:26, Richard Heathfield wrote:

>>> Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?
>>
>> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
>> who
>> are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the
>> Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and
>> death."
>
> The "law of sin and death" is so vague that it is not clear that it
> covers usury.

I suppose that depends on the Christian. I have always considered
it to "cover" a multitude.

> Our knowledge of mediaeval times, though, make it
> clear
> that one could only borrow from Jews, because Christians - who
> could not
> charge interest - were unwilling to make loans.

Romans 8:1-2 tells me otherwise.

>> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
>> bound by religious law.
>
> Quite right. They were free to lend to fellow Christians at zero
> interest, but they chose not to.

I have lent at 0% interest (and been repaid without having to chase).

Jerry Friedman

Nov 22, 2022, 2:27:16 PM11/22/22
On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 12:08:45 PM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 1:49 pm, Peter Moylan wrote:
> > On 22/11/22 22:26, Richard Heathfield wrote:

> >> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
> >> bound by religious law.
> >
> > Quite right. They were free to lend to fellow Christians at zero
> > interest, but they chose not to.

> I have lent at 0% interest (and been repaid without having to chase).

That may be OK as long as you didn't expect the debtor to repay you
(Luke 6:34-36).

--
Jerry Friedman

Transition Zone

Nov 22, 2022, 2:39:47 PM11/22/22
On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 2:23:45 PM UTC-5, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:
> > A baby seal walks into a club...
> "Waddle you have?" said the bartender.

Q: What kind of music do seals hate?
A: Orca-stras !

Jerry Friedman

Nov 22, 2022, 3:01:30 PM11/22/22
On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 4:26:14 AM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 11:12 am, Peter Moylan wrote:

> >> Muslims are not allowed to pay or take interests.
> >
> > Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?
> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
> who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of
> the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin
> and death."
>
> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
> bound by religious law.

How does that work with Luke 18:18-22, or Acts 15:28-29, or the other
passages where Jesus and the apostles tell people what to do and
what not to do?

--
Jerry Friedman

Transition Zone

Nov 22, 2022, 3:47:21 PM11/22/22
The "working" of a religion is
1) Follow an agreed-upon doctrine
2) Face consequences.

Paul Wolff

Nov 22, 2022, 6:40:48 PM11/22/22
On Tue, 22 Nov 2022, at 12:01:27, Jerry Friedman posted:
The immediate question is this: what makes a religious law?

(I didn't see a law in the Luke passage, but instructions on how to live
well. And the Acts passage about the Christians in Antioch seems to me
an attempt to preserve Judaism in an early Christian community - which
didn't catch on. In fact, so much did it not catch on, that two or three
hundred years later that dreadful man John, bishop in Antioch, known as
Chrysostom the golden-tongued for his artful preaching, became famous
for his hateful sermons against the Jews, and was declared a saint in
consequence; an honour he still holds in the Christian church today.)
--
Paul W

Peter Moylan

Nov 22, 2022, 7:35:47 PM11/22/22
Paying or charging interest on loans. But it does appear that the rule
was changed about 100 years ago.

There is a good summary in the "Christianity" section of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury>
As nearly as I can tell, the Vatican switched its position in 1917, by
allowing church monies to be used to accrue interest.

Jerry Friedman

Nov 22, 2022, 8:53:01 PM11/22/22
On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 4:40:48 PM UTC-7, Paul Wolff wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2022, at 12:01:27, Jerry Friedman posted:

> >> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
> >> who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of
> >> the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin
> >> and death."
> >>
> >> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
> >> bound by religious law.
> >
> >How does that work with Luke 18:18-22, or Acts 15:28-29, or the other
> >passages where Jesus and the apostles tell people what to do and
> >what not to do?
> >
> The immediate question is this: what makes a religious law?

Yes.

> (I didn't see a law in the Luke passage, but instructions on how to live
> well.

How to inherit eternal life. Those instructions are part of the Mosaic law.
And Jesus says that if you break them, you get the eternal death penalty.
That sounds like a religious law to me.

> And the Acts passage about the Christians in Antioch seems to me
> an attempt to preserve Judaism in an early Christian community - which
> didn't catch on.

I agree. The apostles told the Christians in Antioch that they would
"burden" them with only a few "requirements" or "necessary things"
from the Mosaic law, and if the Antiochenes complied, they would do
well. Again the requirements sound like laws to me.

For some reason a great many Christians have ignored the dietary
restrictions, going so far as to eat black pudding. Are they supposed
to apply only in Antioch?

(A great many have also flouted the prohibition on "sexual immorality" or
"fornication" or whatever it is, but they probably knew that what they were
doing was considered sinful.)

> In fact, so much did it not catch on, that two or three
> hundred years later that dreadful man John, bishop in Antioch, known as
> Chrysostom the golden-tongued for his artful preaching, became famous
> for his hateful sermons against the Jews, and was declared a saint in
> consequence; an honour he still holds in the Christian church today.)

In many Christian churches but not all.

--
Jerry Friedman

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 12:36:35 AM11/23/22
On 22/11/2022 6:37 pm, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 22-Nov-22 11:26, Richard Heathfield wrote:

>>> Neither are Christians. Or has that rule been changed?
>>
>> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
>> who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law
>> of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of
>> sin and death."
>>
>> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are
>> not bound by religious law.
>
> And hence not bound by the strictures contained in the Old
> Testament?

Why should they be, any more than you are?

> So, if Jesus said nothing at all about gay people (AIUI), then
> Christians have absolutely no business being hostile towards gay
> people.

Agreed.

> There are more than a few out there who need to read the memo.

Yep.

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 12:37:41 AM11/23/22
I was open to that possibility, yes.

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 12:43:49 AM11/23/22
Grown-ups are expected to be able to work it out for themselves
instead of slavishly following minutiae. "Work out your own
salvation with fear and trembling" - Philippians 2:12.

It's like crossing the road. You can do that, right? Do you still
need Tufty Club? Really?

Peter Moylan

Nov 23, 2022, 1:08:50 AM11/23/22
It depends on the road. If possible, I avoid crossing the roads that
evoke fear and trembling.

Bebercito

Nov 23, 2022, 1:59:44 AM11/23/22
Le mercredi 23 novembre 2022 à 06:36:35 UTC+1, Richard Heathfield a écrit :
> On 22/11/2022 6:37 pm, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> >> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
> >> who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law
> >> of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of
> >> sin and death."
> >>
> >> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are
> >> not bound by religious law.
> >
> > And hence not bound by the strictures contained in the Old
> > Testament?
> Why should they be, any more than you are?
> > So, if Jesus said nothing at all about gay people (AIUI), then
> > Christians have absolutely no business being hostile towards gay
> > people.

Isn't Christianity in general about all that has been explicitly designated
as diverging from Judaism, since it proceeds therefrom? And if "Jesus
said nothing at all about gay people", doesn't the view on them expressed
in Leviticus as "homosexuality is an abomination" apply "by default" to
Christians?

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 2:15:49 AM11/23/22
And that, too, is a sensible grown-up response that we can all
reach without consulting the small print of a Tufty Club leaflet.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 23, 2022, 2:45:38 AM11/23/22
On 2022-11-23 07:15:45 +0000, Richard Heathfield said:

> Tufty Club

I remember the Green Cross Code, but I don't think I've ever heard of
the Tufty Club before.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 3:08:24 AM11/23/22
On 23/11/2022 7:45 am, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-11-23 07:15:45 +0000, Richard Heathfield said:
>
>> Tufty Club
>
> I remember the Green Cross Code, but I don't think I've ever
> heard of the Tufty Club before.

Official site:

https://www.rospa.com/about-us/history/tufty

I am delighted to report that even though this safety-conscious
squirrel is now 69 years old "Tufty has not retired! In 2018, his
image was incorporated on to RoSPA’s Keeping Kids Safe packs
which are providing accident prevention tips and tools to help
thousands of families with under-fives, and he was also the
subject of some safety activities for children at an exhibition
to mark RoSPA’s centenary in 2017".

occam

Nov 23, 2022, 3:28:13 AM11/23/22
On 23/11/2022 06:37, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 7:27 pm, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 12:08:45 PM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield
>> wrote:

>>> I have lent at 0% interest (and been repaid without having to chase).
>>
>> That may be OK as long as you didn't expect the debtor to repay you
>> (Luke 6:34-36).
>
> I was open to that possibility, yes.

If you ever decide to run a Building Society, let me know.

occam

Nov 23, 2022, 3:43:46 AM11/23/22
On 23/11/2022 06:43, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 8:01 pm, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at 4:26:14 AM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield
>> wrote:

>>> Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those
>>> who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of
>>> the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin
>>> and death."
>>>
>>> Christians are of course subject to secular law, but they are not
>>> bound by religious law.
>>
>> How does that work with Luke 18:18-22, or Acts 15:28-29, or the other
>> passages where Jesus and the apostles tell people what to do and
>> what not to do?
>
> Grown-ups are expected to be able to work it out for themselves instead
> of slavishly following minutiae. "Work out your own salvation with fear
> and trembling" - Philippians 2:12.

That must me the tenth Bible reference I have chased up in this thread.

Question: Would you program in a computer language whose instructions
were vague (e.g. "the law of sin and death") and led to contradictory
actions?

The real question: Why are we indulging in a Bible quote-based
conversation here, knowing full well that the source material is
contradictory, and vague, and open to willful misinterpretations?

Bertel Lund Hansen

Nov 23, 2022, 3:50:16 AM11/23/22
Den 23.11.2022 kl. 09.43 skrev occam:

> The real question: Why are we indulging in a Bible quote-based
> conversation here, knowing full well that the source material is
> contradictory, and vague, and open to willful misinterpretations?

How does that differ from any other discussion we have (disregarding
"Bible")?

--
Bertel

occam

Nov 23, 2022, 4:02:28 AM11/23/22
Because those discussions are normally based on rational arguments and
do not normally invoke let-out-clauses like ("in Denmark")? We are all
sinners in the domain of AUE, and I believe Heathfield has been sent
here to suffer for *our* sins.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 23, 2022, 4:10:31 AM11/23/22
When I was in Turkey in about 1965 Istanbul was plastered with
advertisements for banks. In 2002 there seemed to be fewer, but still
plenty. I don't remember being in any other Muslim country. Anyway, if
they don't charge interest they must get their money somehow, maybe by
having a stiff fee for having an account.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Nov 23, 2022, 4:12:59 AM11/23/22
On 2022-11-23 09:02:22 +0000, occam said:

> On 23/11/2022 09:50, Bertel Lund Hansen wrote:
>> Den 23.11.2022 kl. 09.43 skrev occam:
>>
>>> The real question: Why are we indulging in a Bible quote-based
>>> conversation here, knowing full well that the source material is
>>> contradictory, and vague, and open to willful misinterpretations?
>>
>> How does that differ from any other discussion we have (disregarding
>> "Bible")?
>>

> Because those discussions are normally based on rational arguments and
> do not normally invoke let-out-clauses like ("in Denmark")?

Rey used to complain that Bertel started every post with "In Denmark
we...". He seems to do it less now.

> We are all
> sinners in the domain of AUE, and I believe Heathfield has been sent
> here to suffer for *our* sins.

occam

Nov 23, 2022, 4:28:38 AM11/23/22
Yes, I am sure they have their angle. Perhaps a non-voluntary
contribution "to the faith", and those who safeguard it.

occam

Nov 23, 2022, 4:36:42 AM11/23/22
On 23/11/2022 10:12, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2022-11-23 09:02:22 +0000, occam said:

>>> How does that differ from any other discussion we have (disregarding
>>> "Bible")?
>>>

>> Because those discussions are normally based on rational arguments and
>> do not normally invoke let-out-clauses like ("in Denmark")?
>
> Rey used to complain that Bertel started every post with "In Denmark
> we...".

And he was right. (Was Ray the reason why Bertel went AWOL from the
group for a while?)

>He seems to do it less now.

Not less enough. I notice it. Every time he makes a dubious statement,
of which he is not certain. "In Denmark" appears to be his security
blanket (cf Linus and Charlie Brown).

Bertel Lund Hansen

Nov 23, 2022, 4:55:09 AM11/23/22
Den 23.11.2022 kl. 10.10 skrev Athel Cornish-Bowden:

> plenty. I don't remember being in any other Muslim country. Anyway, if
> they don't charge interest they must get their money somehow, maybe by
> having a stiff fee for having an account.

They have a method. If I remember correctly, they loan a larger amount
than is paid out to them.

--
Bertel

Bertel Lund Hansen

Nov 23, 2022, 4:56:12 AM11/23/22
Den 23.11.2022 kl. 10.12 skrev Athel Cornish-Bowden:

> Rey used to complain that Bertel started every post with "In Denmark
> we...". He seems to do it less now.

Yeah, I hide it further down in the text.

--
Bertel

Bertel Lund Hansen

Nov 23, 2022, 5:01:52 AM11/23/22
Den 23.11.2022 kl. 10.36 skrev occam:

> And he was right. (Was Ray the reason why Bertel went AWOL from the
> group for a while?)

No. Rey (I think that is the spelling) was a pain in the ass, but I knew
that from the German group already.

> Not less enough. I notice it. Every time he makes a dubious statement,
> of which he is not certain. "In Denmark" appears to be his security
> blanket (cf Linus and Charlie Brown).

I know most about Danish culture, and I write about it when I think that
it can shed light on English language. My feeling is that I don't write
more about Danish culture than y'all write about your areas. Is it wrong
just because it's not an English area?

Or is it really true that I do it too much? I may be wrong about that.

--
Bertel

occam

Nov 23, 2022, 5:24:52 AM11/23/22
I did not say "too much". I said "I notice it." And after a while, I ask
"why?".

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 5:34:11 AM11/23/22
I'll keep you posted. But don't hold your breath.

Richard Heathfield

Nov 23, 2022, 5:39:12 AM11/23/22
Answer: no. Such a language might be fun to write, though.

> The real question: Why are we indulging in a Bible quote-based
> conversation here, knowing full well that the source material is
> contradictory, and vague, and open to willful misinterpretations?

To pass the time, I suppose.

The source material is indeed often wilfully misinterpreted, but
does not require it.

Peter Moylan

Nov 23, 2022, 6:00:08 AM11/23/22
I find myself doing much the same thing, talking about conditions in
Australia. In my opinion that's perfectly reasonable. Part of AUE
business is to look at things that are different in different countries.
The language in particular, of course, but some non-language details are
also of interest. I miss the insights we used to get from Steve Hayes
and from our two Irish RRs. We don't have as much diversity now as we
used to have.

One of my primary school classmates had spent a couple of years in
Malaya, and he chipped into every discussion with "In Malaya ...". We
found that annoying after a while; but it would be a lot more acceptable
in this newsgroup.
It is loading more messages.