A science in and onto itself versus A science in and unto itself.

Mark Bannon

Dec 14, 2015, 1:55:23 PM12/14/15
Does it matter?
a science in and onto itself.
a science in and unto itself.

Derek Turner

Dec 14, 2015, 2:05:06 PM12/14/15
Depends on whether or not you want it to make sense, I guess.

David Kleinecke

Dec 14, 2015, 2:07:05 PM12/14/15
The meme is "unto". "Onto" would be an easy mistake.

Jerry Friedman

Dec 14, 2015, 2:18:01 PM12/14/15
The other one is "in and of itself". I'm trying unsuccessfully to imagine
a situation where you'd say something was a science in itself and a
science unto itself, but people sometimes say things I can't imagine.

--
Jerry Friedman

Peter Moylan

Dec 14, 2015, 7:50:48 PM12/14/15
It depends. Are you talking about a science that's on top of itself, or
a science that's up itself?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Steve Hayes

Dec 14, 2015, 10:28:28 PM12/14/15
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:50:43 +1100, Peter Moylan
<pe...@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 2015-Dec-15 05:55, Mark Bannon wrote:
>> Does it matter?
>> a science in and onto itself.
>> a science in and unto itself.
>
>It depends. Are you talking about a science that's on top of itself, or
>a science that's up itself?

And then you could have a science that is in and into itself.

They all sound pretty self-referential to me.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com