=SDC= Q54: Trilogy

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Jerry Friedman

unread,
Aug 23, 2011, 7:02:24 PM8/23/11
to
What is the link between these three things?

Little boots at the end of a line
Thiemann's famous line
Background for an eyebrow-pencil line

--
Jerry Friedman

msh210

unread,
Aug 24, 2011, 11:46:21 PM8/24/11
to
On Aug 23, Jerry Friedman, TO Panelist, abed:

> What is the link between these three things?
>
> Little boots at the end of a line
> Thiemann's famous line
> Background for an eyebrow-pencil line

Aeschylus comes into it somehow, too.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

James Hogg

unread,
Aug 25, 2011, 1:00:38 AM8/25/11
to

I know the answer to this question, but that's only because the original
idea was mine. I have no idea what that last clue means. If I can work
out the meaning of the Aeschylus reference, I think I deserve a sheep.

--
James

Evan Kirshenbaum

unread,
Aug 25, 2011, 3:31:30 AM8/25/11
to
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> writes:

> What is the link between these three things?
>
> Little boots at the end of a line
> Thiemann's famous line
> Background for an eyebrow-pencil line

Besides the fact that they all end in "line"?

--
Evan Kirshenbaum +------------------------------------
Still with HP Labs |If you think health care is
SF Bay Area (1982-) |expensive now, wait until you see
Chicago (1964-1982) |what it costs when it's free.
| P.J. O'Rourke
evan.kir...@gmail.com

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/


the Omrud

unread,
Aug 25, 2011, 4:17:40 AM8/25/11
to

OK, so, Little Boots is usually Caligula, but I can't make him fit.
Thiemann's line in English is usually "When I hear the word 'culture', I
reach for my gun", but the original is something more like "When I hear
the word 'culture', I check the safety catch on my Browning".

So, how about Blacking, Browning, Whiting.

--
David

msh210

unread,
Aug 25, 2011, 8:08:09 AM8/25/11
to
On Aug 25, James Hogg abed:

Sorry, I guess the hint was too opaque, then.

Aeschylus's "Agamemnon" comes into it somehow, too.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

James Hogg

unread,
Aug 25, 2011, 9:17:17 AM8/25/11
to

Of course: the give-away gift in my original version of the clue. An
even more original version included a Swedish word for "screw" as a clue.

--
James

Mark Brader

unread,
Aug 25, 2011, 9:54:07 AM8/25/11
to
"David":

> Thiemann's line in English is usually "When I hear the word 'culture', I
> reach for my gun", but the original is something more like "When I hear
> the word 'culture', I check the safety catch on my Browning".

Oh, Thiemann is a *character*. (In a play by Hanns Johst.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | ... "reasonable system" is of course defined as
m...@vex.net | "any one *I've* ever used..." -- Steve Summit

Jerry Friedman

unread,
Aug 26, 2011, 12:08:06 AM8/26/11
to
On Aug 25, 1:31 am, Evan Kirshenbaum <evan.kirshenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> writes:
> > What is the link between these three things?
>
> > Little boots at the end of a line
> > Thiemann's famous line
> > Background for an eyebrow-pencil line
>
> Besides the fact that they all end in "line"?

Yes, besides that. It's pretty Googlable at this point.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

unread,
Aug 26, 2011, 3:47:50 PM8/26/11
to

Taplow.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Jeffrey Turner

unread,
Aug 26, 2011, 3:57:56 PM8/26/11
to

Ah, it's Greek to me.

--Jeff

the Omrud

unread,
Aug 26, 2011, 5:41:07 PM8/26/11
to

Oh bugger, it's something to do with "The Browning Version" (Terence
Rattigan).

--
David

musika

unread,
Aug 26, 2011, 6:57:51 PM8/26/11
to

I think the link is Browning
"Background for an eyebrow-pencil line" refers to gravy browning
Thiemann's line is as you said - Browning rifle
Haven't got the boots one yet.

--
Ray
UK

the Omrud

unread,
Aug 27, 2011, 4:16:47 AM8/27/11
to

But "Taplow" points squarely at the play.

Each line refers to a play by Rattigan?

--
David

the Omrud

unread,
Aug 27, 2011, 4:32:49 AM8/27/11
to

And, for the avoidance of doubt, so does the "Aeschylus" clue. Or, at
least, at the eponymous book

Robert Browning?

--
David

musika

unread,
Aug 27, 2011, 6:44:54 AM8/27/11
to
Yes, I see them them as extra clues pointing at "Browning" but we have had
no "Thank you!" so must be missing something.
--
Ray
UK

msh210

unread,
Aug 27, 2011, 10:30:18 PM8/27/11
to
On Aug 26, musika abed:

> I think the link is Browning
> "Background for an eyebrow-pencil line" refers to gravy browning
> Thiemann's line is as you said - Browning rifle
> Haven't got the boots one yet.

The phrase 'little boots' appears at the end of a line in Browning's
poem "Shah Abbas" in _Ferishtah's Fancies_.

Thank you!

Michael Hamm
TO Delayed Thanker

musika

unread,
Aug 28, 2011, 8:13:22 AM8/28/11
to
Thank you. I went through Browning's poems on the web, looking at the end of
lines but didn't come across that poem.

--
Ray
UK

musika

unread,
Aug 28, 2011, 8:44:31 AM8/28/11
to

P.S. I think that David and I should share the sheep.
--
Ray
UK

Mike Lyle

unread,
Aug 28, 2011, 1:18:27 PM8/28/11
to

To Recording Angel: Please note that I restrained myself.

--
Mike.

musika

unread,
Aug 28, 2011, 1:27:39 PM8/28/11
to

Too late for that!
--
Ray
UK

Jerry Friedman

unread,
Aug 31, 2011, 10:01:39 AM8/31/11
to

At Ray's suggestion, that will be the right half of a Cormo for him
and the left half for the Omrud.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepsolomon

the Omrud

unread,
Aug 31, 2011, 10:08:53 AM8/31/11
to

I thank the wise and generous committee and the magnanimous Ray.
Honestly, though, I prefer the shoulder joint, so I don't mind taking
the front half. I can supply copious rosemary, which grows wild on the
garigue.

--
David

Mike Lyle

unread,
Sep 1, 2011, 5:59:57 PM9/1/11
to
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:08:53 +0100, the Omrud <usenet...@gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]

>
>I thank the wise and generous committee and the magnanimous Ray.
>Honestly, though, I prefer the shoulder joint, so I don't mind taking
>the front half. I can supply copious rosemary, which grows wild on the
>garigue.

You stab some slices of garlic in, too, I'm sure.

As a matter of interest (well, of vulgar curiosity, anyhow), how tall
does rosemary grow there?

--
Mike.

R H Draney

unread,
Sep 1, 2011, 6:30:01 PM9/1/11
to
Mike Lyle filted:

Ack!...it's STS from Edison Lighthouse!...r


--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

the Omrud

unread,
Sep 2, 2011, 3:35:17 AM9/2/11
to
On 01/09/2011 22:59, Mike Lyle wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:08:53 +0100, the Omrud<usenet...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I thank the wise and generous committee and the magnanimous Ray.
>> Honestly, though, I prefer the shoulder joint, so I don't mind taking
>> the front half. I can supply copious rosemary, which grows wild on the
>> garigue.
>
> You stab some slices of garlic in, too, I'm sure.

Indeed, but I have to buy that. Garlic, rosemary, salt and plenty of
time. That's all you need for a roast shoulder.

> As a matter of interest (well, of vulgar curiosity, anyhow), how tall
> does rosemary grow there?

No taller than I would expect - about a metre at maximum. They're
clearly bushes. The delicate purple flowers in the spring are delightful.

--
David

LFS

unread,
Sep 2, 2011, 5:06:09 AM9/2/11
to

Snap!


--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)


Mike Lyle

unread,
Sep 2, 2011, 8:06:37 PM9/2/11
to
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 08:35:17 +0100, the Omrud <usenet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Interesting. I asked because I was wowed in Libya to see that it grew
to eight feet. I wonder if that's a different
species...<Wikipees>...yes, there is a N. African sp, R. eriocalyx.
But it seems neither grows to more than 2 metres. I wonder if it's the
experts or my fortyish-years' memory that's wrong: I certainly didn't
measure properly, but there were humans about to compare with...

--
Mike.

the Omrud

unread,
Sep 3, 2011, 4:13:04 AM9/3/11
to

The garigue is scrub land - there is the occasional tree but most of the
vegetation is squat bushes, very little of which grows more than a foot
high. Although it rains fairly frequently, the ground is mostly bare
rock, so very little water is retained; the vegetation has no doubt
evolved to cope with these conditions.

--
David

Mike Lyle

unread,
Sep 3, 2011, 6:44:03 PM9/3/11
to
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 09:13:04 +0100, the Omrud <usenet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What do you do if you're lost in the woods in Iceland?

Fgnaq hc.

--
Mike.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages