Re: Destination -- another word in danger of being skunked?

Anton Shepelev

Mar 18, 2023, 8:02:56 AM3/18/23
Steve Hayes:

> I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations
> along the way", which struck me as pretty weird.

The comma is weird indeed.

> You can pass though places on your way to a desination,
> but you cannot pass through desinations on your way to a
> place. The desination is where you end up, at the end of
> jour journey.

This usage can be defended, if half-heartedly, by observing
that one may choose to visit certain places and make certain
entertaining detours, on an otherwise joyless trip, each
detour ending in a destination -- the ruins of a church[1],
a small-town museum, &c.
____________________
1. e.g. Geocaching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j3qAWZD_m0

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Mark Brader

Mar 18, 2023, 3:20:42 PM3/18/23
Steve Hayes:
> You can pass though places on your way to a desination, but you cannot
> pass through desinations on your way to a place. The desination is
> where you end up, at the end of jour journey.

No, you are confusing "destination" with "final destination".
--
Mark Brader | Occam's razor cuts both ways. (I've spent
Toronto | most of my life waiting for a chance to

Mark Brader

Mar 18, 2023, 3:22:06 PM3/18/23
Steve Hayes:
> > I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations
> > along the way", which struck me as pretty weird.

Anton Shepelev:
> The comma is weird indeed.

No, that's the easy part: it clarifies the intended grouping.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I asked you for a *good* reason,
m...@vex.net | not a *terrific* one!" --Maxwell Smart (Agent 86)

Bertel Lund Hansen

Mar 18, 2023, 3:30:11 PM3/18/23
Den 18.03.2023 kl. 06.06 skrev Steve Hayes:

> I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations along the
> way", which struck me as pretty weird.
>
> You can pass though places on your way to a desination, but you cannot
> pass through desinations on your way to a place. The desination is
> where you end up, at the end of jour journey.

"Destination" is correct in the first sentence, but spellt "desination"
three times in the next section. Did you copy-paste?

--
Bertel, Denmark

TonyCooper

Mar 18, 2023, 3:38:29 PM3/18/23
On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 19:20:28 +0000, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Steve Hayes:
>> You can pass though places on your way to a desination, but you cannot
>> pass through desinations on your way to a place. The desination is
>> where you end up, at the end of jour journey.
>
>No, you are confusing "destination" with "final destination".

Yes, if I have three errands to run with something to do at each
location, each location is a destination. I guess returning home is
the final destination.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando,Florida

Sam Plusnet

Mar 18, 2023, 5:12:15 PM3/18/23
Arguably, we all have the same Final Destination.

--
Sam Plusnet

Bertel Lund Hansen

Mar 18, 2023, 6:10:12 PM3/18/23
Den 18.03.2023 kl. 22.12 skrev Sam Plusnet:

>> Yes, if I have three errands to run with something to do at each
>> location, each location is a destination.  I guess returning home is
>> the final destination.
>
> Arguably, we all have the same Final Destination.

Some people would say that there are two quite different Final Destinations.

--
Bertel, Denmark

Sam Plusnet

Mar 18, 2023, 9:21:58 PM3/18/23
Could one Limbo under the Gate? To get to a preferred destination?

Sitting around on clouds... It doesn't sound like much fun to me.

--
Sam Plusnet

lar3ryca

Mar 19, 2023, 12:14:05 AM3/19/23
Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
- Mark Twain

--
Greek cows say "μ"

Peter Moylan

Mar 19, 2023, 12:30:27 AM3/19/23
Yes, but in Hell you don't get free harp lessons.

In Heinlein's book /Job/, the hero chooses to be thrown from Heaven down
to Hell so that he can search for his girlfriend. He is caught in a net
before he hits the flames, and then he discovers that Hell is quite a
pleasant place

Dingbat

Mar 19, 2023, 3:15:13 AM3/19/23
On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 5:02:56 AM UTC-7, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Steve Hayes:
>
> > I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations
> > along the way", which struck me as pretty weird.
>
> The comma is weird indeed.
>
> > You can pass though places on your way to a desination,
> > but you cannot pass through desinations on your way to a
> > place. The desination is where you end up, at the end of
> > jour journey.
>
> This usage can be defended, if half-heartedly, by observing
> that one may choose to visit certain places and make certain
> entertaining detours, on an otherwise joyless trip, each
> detour ending in a destination -- the ruins of a church[1],
> a small-town museum, &c.

One could contrive that as per this dictionary meaning:
denoting a place that people will make a special trip to visit
<https://www.google.com/search?q=destination+meaning>

... but I'd call your examples sights.
A destination would be a place where one sojourns in order
to take in such sights and/or engage in activites of interest.

For example, Luxor has many sights and many activities, as
these search results show:

17 Top-Rated Things to Do in Luxor | PlanetWare
30 BEST Places to Visit in Luxor - Tripadvisor
<https://www.google.com/search?q=luxor+sights>

occam

Mar 19, 2023, 4:14:15 AM3/19/23
... and Purgatory for the Catholics.
- occam

Bertel Lund Hansen

Mar 19, 2023, 4:35:39 AM3/19/23
Den 19.03.2023 kl. 02.21 skrev Sam Plusnet:

>>> Arguably, we all have the same Final Destination.
>>
>> Some people would say that there are two quite different Final
>> Destinations.
>
> Could one Limbo under the Gate?  To get to a preferred destination?
>
> Sitting around on clouds...  It doesn't sound like much fun to me.

No, and to think of all the out-of-tune plunking going on ...

--
Bertel, Denmark

Janet

Mar 19, 2023, 7:08:09 AM3/19/23
In article <5hha1ili6la2ikf79...@4ax.com>,
haye...@telkomsa.net says...

> I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations along the
> way", which struck me as pretty weird.
>
> You can pass though places on your way to a desination, but you cannot
> pass through desinations on your way to a place. The desination is
> where you end up, at the end of jour journey.

Someone turned off at a tangent ?

Janet

J. J. Lodder

Mar 19, 2023, 7:35:04 AM3/19/23
A sine quo non for seeing straight,

Jan

Peter T. Daniels

Mar 19, 2023, 9:08:24 AM3/19/23
On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 3:15:13 AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
> On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 5:02:56 AM UTC-7, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> > Steve Hayes:

> > > I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations
> > > along the way", which struck me as pretty weird.
> > The comma is weird indeed.
> > > You can pass though places on your way to a desination,
> > > but you cannot pass through desinations on your way to a
> > > place. The desination is where you end up, at the end of
> > > jour journey.
> > This usage can be defended, if half-heartedly, by observing
> > that one may choose to visit certain places and make certain
> > entertaining detours, on an otherwise joyless trip, each
> > detour ending in a destination -- the ruins of a church[1],
> > a small-town museum, &c.
>
> One could contrive that as per this dictionary meaning:
> denoting a place that people will make a special trip to visit
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=destination+meaning>
>
> ... but I'd call your examples sights.
> A destination would be a place where one sojourns in order
> to take in such sights and/or engage in activites of interest.

There's the expression "destination wedding."

J. J. Lodder

Mar 19, 2023, 10:27:40 AM3/19/23
Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations along the
> way", which struck me as pretty weird.
>
> You can pass though places on your way to a desination, but you cannot
> pass through desinations on your way to a place. The desination is
> where you end up, at the end of jour journey.

What do you think Paul Simon was doing?

Jan

--
"I'm sittin' in the railway station
Got a ticket to my destination

Dingbat

Mar 19, 2023, 11:15:29 AM3/19/23
How would you word the following question?

Which Are The Best Destination Wedding Locations In India?
https://www.wedmegood.com/destination-wedding

How about this wording?
Which are the best wedding destinations in India?

TonyCooper

Mar 19, 2023, 11:51:42 AM3/19/23
On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 08:15:26 -0700 (PDT), Dingbat
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 6:08:24?AM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 3:15:13?AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
"Destination wedding" has become (in the US) a set phrase meaning a
wedding held in some place that is not local to the couple or to where
either grew up.

Your original wording is correct.

Sam Plusnet

Mar 19, 2023, 2:44:30 PM3/19/23
On 19-Mar-23 4:30, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 19/03/23 15:13, lar3ryca wrote:

>>> Could one Limbo under the Gate?  To get to a preferred
>>> destination?
>>>
>>> Sitting around on clouds...  It doesn't sound like much fun to me.
>>
>> Heaven  for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
>
> Yes, but in Hell you don't get free harp lessons.

I wonder if harpists get priority boarding and early acceptance?

Someone has to give those harp lessons.

--
Sam Plusnet

charles

Mar 19, 2023, 3:30:15 PM3/19/23
In article <dKIRL.174162$%ng4....@fx09.ams1>,
as a harpist, I'm sure we do.

> Someone has to give those harp lessons.

yes

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

J. J. Lodder

Mar 19, 2023, 4:25:43 PM3/19/23
He didn't know about the others there yet,

Jan

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Mar 19, 2023, 6:26:11 PM3/19/23
On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 07:06:52 +0200, Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net>
wrote:

>I recently saw an article headed "Places, and destinations along the
>way", which struck me as pretty weird.
>
>You can pass though places on your way to a desination, but you cannot
>pass through desinations on your way to a place. The desination is
>where you end up, at the end of jour journey.

I've looked at a few websites using the phrase quoted above.
They seem to be about tourism. The context suggests to me that a
"destination" is somewhere a tourist will spend the night or nights
whereas a "place" is somewhere that will be visited during the day.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Sam Plusnet

Mar 19, 2023, 7:03:13 PM3/19/23
On 19-Mar-23 19:21, charles wrote:
> In article <dKIRL.174162$%ng4....@fx09.ams1>,
> Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>> On 19-Mar-23 4:30, Peter Moylan wrote:

>>> Yes, but in Hell you don't get free harp lessons.
>
>> I wonder if harpists get priority boarding and early acceptance?
>
> as a harpist, I'm sure we do.

Evidently, harpists are optimistic pluckers.

--
Sam Plusnet

TonyCooper

Mar 19, 2023, 7:53:55 PM3/19/23
My "Bitch in the Box" does not agree with you. When I ask it to give
me directions to some location, when I get there it says "Your
destination is on the left (or right)". Unless it's a hotel, I don't
spend the night there.

Peter T. Daniels

Mar 20, 2023, 9:26:56 AM3/20/23
It's the end of the line of the directions you asked for.

(Words can be used in more than one way.)

Michelin may have popularized the sense that bothers Steve.

Snidely

Mar 25, 2023, 5:31:49 PM3/25/23
Remember when Bertel Lund Hansen bragged outrageously? That was
Saturday:
The multi-player online and the single-player offline modes?

/dps "And where do the Zerg come from?"

--
"I'm glad unicorns don't ever need upgrades."
"We are as up as it is possible to get graded!"