Con pane --> Company

occam

Feb 22, 2024, 7:04:27 AMFeb 22
Listening to a BBC Radio program 'Word of mouth' - all about words and
their etymology - I was taken aback by the history of the word 'company'.

We tend to use the word mainly for an assembly of people who come
together for common a purpose e.g. business or organised activity. Yes,
the word is also used mean a guest ('we have company') but not so common.

According to the BBC program the word derives from the Italian 'con
pane' (with bread). It harks back to the middle ages when people would
get together to discuss, while sharing bread. Not too dissimilar to the
French word copain ('a close friend') which describes someone you would
share bread with.

Who knew our friendships owed so much to bread?