Weekdays- Re: Monday through Friday

Bun Mui

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

I thought it is just called weekdays in all English speaking countries?

No?

Comments?

Bun Mui

> Monday through Friday
>
> From: d...@mindspring.com (Dietrich Haugwitz)
> Reply to: [1]d...@mindspring.com
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:07:10 GMT
> Newsgroups:
> [2]alt.usage.english
> Followup to: [3]newsgroup(s)
>
>Americans say "Monday through Friday" , or "the show will run through
>May 30." (And they may even spell the offensive word "thru".)
>To what extent has this unfortunate Americanism spread to England?
>Staunch resistance?
>
>Dietrich von Haugwitz

Brian J Goggin

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

On Sat, 02 May 1998 09:03:41 GMT, Bun Mui <xBun...@usa.net> wrote:

>I thought it is just called weekdays in all English speaking countries?
>
>No?

No, in Ireland we call Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
"Glorious Days for Increasing the Gross National Product." "Strength
through Labour!" we say to ourselves, as we merrily set off for work
each day.

bjg

Brian J Goggin

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

On Tue, 5 May 1998 21:58:05 +0100, Albert Marshall
<albert....@execfrog.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Brian J Goggin <b...@wordwrights.ie> wrote

[...]

>>No, in Ireland we call Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
>>"Glorious Days for Increasing the Gross National Product." "Strength
>>through Labour!"
>

>I thought you only had a choice of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael.

No, we're very modern and European these days so we need lots of
political parties. We have Progressive Democrats, Democratic Left, the
Workers' Party, Democratic Progressives, Regressive Left, Glorious
Patriotic Struggle of the Heroic Risen People, Democratic Unionists,
the National Party, the People of Ireland and some others, not all of
which are jokes.

No Monster Raving Loonies, though. Well, not with initial capitals
anyway.

bjg

Albert Marshall

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

--
Albert Marshall
Visual Solutions

Pierre Jelenc

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

Brian J Goggin <b...@wordwrights.ie> writes:

> No, we're very modern and European these days so we need lots of
> political parties. We have Progressive Democrats, Democratic Left, the
> Workers' Party, Democratic Progressives, Regressive Left, Glorious
> Patriotic Struggle of the Heroic Risen People, Democratic Unionists,
> the National Party, the People of Ireland and some others, not all of
> which are jokes.
>
> No Monster Raving Loonies, though. Well, not with initial capitals
> anyway.

No Beer Party? How... quaint!

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc | The Spring Gig: Friday May 8th
Home Office Records | - Lorijo Manley - Trina Hamlin -
|at CB's Gallery, 313 Bowery, New York City

Brian J Goggin

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

On 5 May 1998 22:45:52 -0400, rc...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

[...]

>> No Monster Raving Loonies, though. Well, not with initial capitals
>> anyway.
>
>No Beer Party? How... quaint!

You mean that there are countries where it's necessary to have a
political party to get people to drink beer?

bjg

Pierre Jelenc

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Brian J Goggin <b...@wordwrights.ie> writes:

> You mean that there are countries where it's necessary to have a
> political party to get people to drink beer?

Good beer, perhaps. At least that's what the Russians, Poles, and Czechs
seem to think.

Of course Ireland is practically a one-part^H^H^H^Hbeer country (Cork
excepted).

Brian J Goggin

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

On 6 May 1998 14:20:26 -0400, rc...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

>Brian J Goggin <b...@wordwrights.ie> writes:
>>
>> You mean that there are countries where it's necessary to have a
>> political party to get people to drink beer?
>
>Good beer, perhaps. At least that's what the Russians, Poles, and Czechs
>seem to think.

What are the political parties in question?

>Of course Ireland is practically a one-part^H^H^H^Hbeer country (Cork
>excepted).

Come over here and say that.

Actually, the real problem is that Guinness is no longer as popular as
it was: imported lagers and other fashionable drinks have taken a
large share of the market. I'm sure they're all very well in their
place, but I regret the move away from the national drink.

Guinness has responded with

- Guinness served cold (dreadful)
- Chilled Guinness (even colder: an appalling idea)
- a white beer called Breo', currently being tested in some Dublin
pubs. I have no intention of trying it
- a "red beer" called Kilkenny, to counter Bass's Caffreys, which is
brewed in Belfast.

It has, as I'm sure you know, had Smithwicks (ale) and Harp (lager)
(both disgusting) for some time. But our current Taoiseach (prime
minister) drinks Bass.

There are some new, small breweries, most of them brew-pubs.

bjg

Mark Baker

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

In article <3550d503...@news.indigo.ie>,

b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian J Goggin) writes:

> - a "red beer" called Kilkenny, to counter Bass's Caffreys, which is
> brewed in Belfast.

Caffreys was, er, invented, in England; Bass's marketing department spent
ages deciding which country to pretend it came from before eventually
settling on Ireland.

A small proportion of it is brewed in the Caffreys' brewery in Belfast,
which they had recently bought and would probably otherwise have closed; the
rest is brewed in England in other Bass plants.

Skitt

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Brian J Goggin wrote in message <3550d503...@news.indigo.ie>...

>Actually, the real problem is that Guinness is no longer as popular
as
>it was: imported lagers and other fashionable drinks have taken a
>large share of the market. I'm sure they're all very well in their
>place, but I regret the move away from the national drink.
>
>Guinness has responded with
>
>- Guinness served cold (dreadful)
>- Chilled Guinness (even colder: an appalling idea)
>- a white beer called Breo', currently being tested in some Dublin
>pubs. I have no intention of trying it

>- a "red beer" called Kilkenny, to counter Bass's Caffreys, which is
>brewed in Belfast.

Is Guinness Stout the same as what you call Guinness? I tried the
former some years ago, but discovered that the best way to drink it is
by diluting it half-and-half with any (cheapest) lager available.
Then it is a delicious dark beer.
No offense meant.
--
Skitt http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/5537/

Pierre Jelenc

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Skitt <al...@myself.com> writes:

> Is Guinness Stout the same as what you call Guinness? I tried the
> former some years ago, but discovered that the best way to drink it is
> by diluting it half-and-half with any (cheapest) lager available.
> Then it is a delicious dark beer.
> No offense meant.

There are numerous versions of Guinness, all of them belonging to the
style known as "dry Irish stout". The one found on draught in Ireland
is a fairly light-bodied, low-alcohol beer, which is available in the US
and just about everywhere else in the tall "draught cans" that were
introduced a couple of years ago. Bottled Guinness ("Extra Stout",
"Export", etc) is a stronger version, and is definitely not a session
beer.

There are said to be 17 different Guinness recipes in the breweries around
the world that produce for their local markets. Bottled Guinness in the US
comes from Canada.

Pierre (Don't much like the style myself, and if I have to have one I'll
take Murphy's instead.)

Brian J Goggin

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

On 7 May 1998 14:14:47 +0100, mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Mark
Baker) wrote:

[...]

>Caffreys was, er, invented, in England; Bass's marketing department spent
>ages deciding which country to pretend it came from before eventually
>settling on Ireland.
>
>A small proportion of it is brewed in the Caffreys' brewery in Belfast,
>which they had recently bought and would probably otherwise have closed; the
>rest is brewed in England in other Bass plants.

I knew it was an English idea, invented for the English market; it was
allowed into only a few pubs, north and south of the border, because
it wasn't intended for us at all. But was not the first batch (or
whatever it's called) brewed in Belfast?

By now, I don't think there's any beer (outside the
micro-breweries/brew-pubs) made by an Irish-owned company.

bjg

Skitt

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Pierre Jelenc wrote in message <6ismov$q...@panix2.panix.com>...

>Skitt <al...@myself.com> writes:
>>

>> Is Guinness Stout the same as what you call Guinness? I tried the
>> former some years ago, but discovered that the best way to drink it
is
>> by diluting it half-and-half with any (cheapest) lager available.
>> Then it is a delicious dark beer.
>> No offense meant.
>
>There are numerous versions of Guinness, all of them belonging to the
>style known as "dry Irish stout". The one found on draught in Ireland
>is a fairly light-bodied, low-alcohol beer, which is available in the
US
>and just about everywhere else in the tall "draught cans" that were
>introduced a couple of years ago. Bottled Guinness ("Extra Stout",
>"Export", etc) is a stronger version, and is definitely not a session
>beer.
>
>There are said to be 17 different Guinness recipes in the breweries
around
>the world that produce for their local markets. Bottled Guinness in
the US
>comes from Canada.

I was referring to the one that, even when in a glass, does not permit
ANY light to pass through. Even after the dilution as above, one can
barely see any light. This experiment was conducted in the Seattle
area, circa 1969.
--
Skitt http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/5537/

Pierre Jelenc

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Skitt <al...@myself.com> writes:

> I was referring to the one that, even when in a glass, does not permit
> ANY light to pass through. Even after the dilution as above, one can
> barely see any light. This experiment was conducted in the Seattle
> area, circa 1969.

Any decent stout will be completely opaque. That's why we carry flash-
lights on beerhunting expeditions: if the light goes through, it's not a
stout. Maybe a porter, or a brown ale, or a dark mild.

Pierre

Simon R. Hughes

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Thus Spake rc...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc):

> Skitt <al...@myself.com> writes:
> >

> > Is Guinness Stout the same as what you call Guinness? I tried the
> > former some years ago, but discovered that the best way to drink it is
> > by diluting it half-and-half with any (cheapest) lager available.
> > Then it is a delicious dark beer.
> > No offense meant.

But oh so great an offense you commit!

That should go on my list of Blasphemies!

> There are numerous versions of Guinness, all of them belonging to the
> style known as "dry Irish stout". The one found on draught in Ireland
> is a fairly light-bodied, low-alcohol beer, which is available in the US
> and just about everywhere else in the tall "draught cans" that were
> introduced a couple of years ago. Bottled Guinness ("Extra Stout",
> "Export", etc) is a stronger version, and is definitely not a session
> beer.

I think you have missed the point. While waiting the fifteen minutes
it takes for your Guinness to settle, the beer is not the thing you
should be philosophising about. Of course, you can anticipate the
pleasure you will derive by imbibing it, recollect the company in
which you have had to wait the wait before, even reflect upon your
life and how this is one of the highlights, but the beer is the
occasion, not the object, of your thought.

> Pierre (Don't much like the style myself, and if I have to have one I'll
> take Murphy's instead.)

And Beamish?

--
Simon R. Hughes
http://skrik.home.ml.org -- mailto:shu...@geocities.com

Pierre Jelenc

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Simon R. Hughes <shu...@geocities.com> writes:
> Thus Spake rc...@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc):
>
> > Pierre (Don't much like the style myself, and if I have to have one I'll
> > take Murphy's instead.)
>
> And Beamish?

As well, in Europe, but it is unavailable in the US as far as I know. It's
the favorite stout of the brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery, and last year he
made an Irish stout modelled on Beamish for St Patrick's Day that was a
delight. Sadly he did not repeat it this year.

Pierre --Getting thirsty--

Peter Moylan

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Brian J Goggin <b...@wordwrights.ie> writes:

> You mean that there are countries where it's necessary to have a
> political party to get people to drink beer?

It's quite the opposite in my country. Beer is consumed at
ordinary parties. At political parties one is more likely to
be offered sherry.

--
Peter Moylan pe...@ee.newcastle.edu.au
http://www.ee.newcastle.edu.au/users/staff/peter/Moylan.html

Larry Phillips

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Simon R. Hughes wrote:

> But oh so great an offense you commit!
>
> That should go on my list of Blasphemies!

Here's another for you. The only way I can get Scotch down my throat is
to so disguise it that its noxious odor disappears. Ample Coca-Cola
barely suffices. If I have no means of making it palatable, I would
only use it for a rubbing alcohol, or for bartering for some liquid
that doesn't tase like it had already been through someone's liver.

Sixty billion gigabits can do much. It even does windows.
-- Fred Pohl, Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, 1980

http://home.bc.rogers.wave.ca/larryp

Mark Odegard

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

[Posted, e-mailed] **Please note Spam Trap** On 7 May 1998
03:48:02 GMT, pe...@eepjm.newcastle.edu.au (Peter Moylan) in
<slrn6l2bk...@eepjm.newcastle.edu.au> wrote

|It's quite the opposite in my country. Beer is consumed at
|ordinary parties. At political parties one is more likely to
|be offered sherry.

Awwww. Sherry? I'm disillusioned. The Oz Ministry of National
Image has Paul Hoganed you guys up very well indeed and now you
come and spoil it.

You'da thought they'da offered a passable Australian white wine
instead.
--
Mark Odegard. (descape to email)
Emailed copies of responses are very much appreciated.

Mark Baker

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

In article <3551d85f...@news.indigo.ie>,

b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian J Goggin) writes:

> I knew it was an English idea, invented for the English market; it was
> allowed into only a few pubs, north and south of the border, because it

> wasn't intended for us at all. But was not the first batch [of Caffreys]

> (or whatever it's called) brewed in Belfast?

I'm sure it was. They're very keen to stress that there's a tiny[1] chance that
your pint of Caffreys might be made in this ancient Irish brewery.

[1] They don't stress that bit.

> By now, I don't think there's any beer (outside the
> micro-breweries/brew-pubs) made by an Irish-owned company.

Do you not have any regional breweries, like Fullers, Adnams, Greene King,
or Marstons here?

Simon R. Hughes

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Thus Spake Larry Phillips <lar...@rogers.wave.ca>:

> Simon R. Hughes wrote:
> >
> > But oh so great an offense you commit!
> >
> > That should go on my list of Blasphemies!
> >

> Here's another for you. The only way I can get Scotch down my throat is
> to so disguise it that its noxious odor disappears. Ample Coca-Cola
> barely suffices. If I have no means of making it palatable, I would
> only use it for a rubbing alcohol, or for bartering for some liquid
> that doesn't tase like it had already been through someone's liver.

If you are talking about blended whiskey, then I'll have to agree with
you (although whiskey & coke is, I find, quite palatable). I will add
you to my Blasphemy list if you do the same to or with malt Scotch.

Truly Donovan

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

On Thu, 07 May 1998 22:26:27 -0700, Larry Phillips
<lar...@rogers.wave.ca> wrote:

>Here's another for you. The only way I can get Scotch down my throat is
>to so disguise it that its noxious odor disappears. Ample Coca-Cola
>barely suffices. If I have no means of making it palatable, I would
>only use it for a rubbing alcohol, or for bartering for some liquid
>that doesn't tase like it had already been through someone's liver.

It is often said that Scotch is an acquired taste. I can testify to
that, having acquired it the first time I tasted it.

--
Truly Donovan
reply to truly at lunemere dot com

Brian J Goggin

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

On Thu, 7 May 1998 11:36:59 -0400, "Skitt" <al...@myself.com> wrote:

[...]

>Is Guinness Stout the same as what you call Guinness? I tried the
>former some years ago, but discovered that the best way to drink it is
>by diluting it half-and-half with any (cheapest) lager available.
>Then it is a delicious dark beer.
>No offense meant.

I've known people shot for less.

bjg

Brian J Goggin

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

On Thu, 07 May 1998 22:26:27 -0700, Larry Phillips
<lar...@rogers.wave.ca> wrote:

[...]

>Here's another for you. The only way I can get Scotch down my throat is
>to so disguise it that its noxious odor disappears. Ample Coca-Cola
>barely suffices. If I have no means of making it palatable, I would
>only use it for a rubbing alcohol, or for bartering for some liquid
>that doesn't tase like it had already been through someone's liver.

Larry, old bean.

Do you have a shotgun? Or other firearm?

bjg

Mark Odegard

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

[Posted, e-mailed] **Please note Spam Trap** On Sat, 09 May
1998 07:50:38 GMT, b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian J Goggin) in
<355418e8...@news.indigo.ie> wrote

Re diluting Guinness half-half with cheap lager:

|I've known people shot for less.

Cannot stand Guinness myself. I'll drink water before. As for
scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a squeeze of lemon
should dilute it, though I do 'fess to a fondness for cheap
scotch/canadian with chocolate milk.

a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

Goggin) wrote:

>On Thu, 7 May 1998 11:36:59 -0400, "Skitt" <al...@myself.com> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>Is Guinness Stout the same as what you call Guinness? I tried the
>>former some years ago, but discovered that the best way to drink it is
>>by diluting it half-and-half with any (cheapest) lager available.
>>Then it is a delicious dark beer.
>>No offense meant.
>

>I've known people shot for less.

'One Ireland', 'Eretz Israel', 'Greater Serbia', and now 'Guiness
Strong and Lagerless'!

Brian J Goggin

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

On 8 May 1998 21:37:37 +0100, mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Mark
Baker) wrote:

[...]

>I'm sure it was. They're very keen to stress that there's a tiny[1] chance that

>your pint of Caffreys might be made in this ancient Irish brewery.

I'd never heard of it until Caffreys was launched.

[...]

>Do you not have any regional breweries, like Fullers, Adnams, Greene King,
>or Marstons here?

No, alas. MegaCorp rules.

bjg

Mark Baker

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

In article <3554100c....@news2.means.net>,
ode...@means.netscape (Mark Odegard) writes:

> Cannot stand Guinness myself. I'll drink water before. As for
> scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a squeeze of lemon
> should dilute it,

You don't want either. Just tap water: about half as much as there is
scotch.

Of course, that's assuming it's a reasonable single malt. For a cheap blend,
do what you like to it: I've heard it's quite a useful solvent.

> though I do 'fess to a fondness for cheap scotch/canadian with chocolate
> milk.

That sounds marginally less horrible than the chocolate milk on its own.

David McMurray

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

Mark Baker <mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> ode...@means.netscape (Mark Odegard) writes:

> > [...] As for scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a

> > squeeze of lemon should dilute it,
>
> You don't want either. Just tap water: about half as much as there is
> scotch.

> Of course, that's assuming it's a reasonable single malt. [...]

Water - or any other diluent - in single malt?

Shirley, you jest.

--
David

Simon R. Hughes

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

Thus Spake mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Mark Baker):

> In article <3554100c....@news2.means.net>,
> ode...@means.netscape (Mark Odegard) writes:
>

> > Cannot stand Guinness myself. I'll drink water before. As for

> > scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a squeeze of lemon
> > should dilute it,
>
> You don't want either. Just tap water: about half as much as there is
> scotch.
>
> Of course, that's assuming it's a reasonable single malt.

Sorry, but the mutilation of Scotch is right up there with claiming
that Bacon wrote Shakespeare.

Mike Barnes

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

In alt.usage.english, David McMurray <ik0...@kingston.net> spake
thuswise:

>Mark Baker <mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> ode...@means.netscape (Mark Odegard) writes:
>
>> > [...] As for scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a
>> > squeeze of lemon should dilute it,
>>
>> You don't want either. Just tap water: about half as much as there is
>> scotch.
>
>> Of course, that's assuming it's a reasonable single malt. [...]
>
>Water - or any other diluent - in single malt?

Most retail single malt is diluted with water before bottling. And if a
single malt *is* bottled at cask strength, I (and most people I know)
prefer to dilute it with water before drinking.

So my answer to your question is: Yes, as long as it's good water at a
reasonable temperature (definitely not frozen), why not?

--
-- Mike Barnes, Stockport, England.
-- If you post a response to Usenet, please *don't* send me a copy by e-mail.

Brian J Goggin

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

On Sat, 09 May 1998 08:19:29 GMT, ode...@means.netscape (Mark
Odegard) wrote:

>Cannot stand Guinness myself. I'll drink water before. As for

>scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a squeeze of lemon

>should dilute it, though I do 'fess to a fondness for cheap
>scotch/canadian with chocolate milk.

I am just going outside and may be some time.

bjg

Brian J Goggin

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

On Sat, 09 May 1998 12:45:39 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:

[...]

>'One Ireland', 'Eretz Israel', 'Greater Serbia', and now 'Guiness
>Strong and Lagerless'!

An' an N less?

bjg (skittishly)

Eric C. Sanders D. D.

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

On 9 May 1998 20:51:51 +0100, mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Mark
Baker) wrote:

>In article <3554100c....@news2.means.net>,
> ode...@means.netscape (Mark Odegard) writes:
>

>> Cannot stand Guinness myself. I'll drink water before. As for
>> scotch, though, only melting ice and perhaps a squeeze of lemon
>> should dilute it,
>

>You don't want either. Just tap water: about half as much as there is
>scotch.
>
>Of course, that's assuming it's a reasonable single malt.

The only accompaniment for single malt I've ever needed is a
good cigar. No water, no fruit, just a good smoke. And time enough to
enjoy them. Oh, some good conversation helps, too.

> For a cheap blend,
>do what you like to it: I've heard it's quite a useful solvent.
>

>> though I do 'fess to a fondness for cheap scotch/canadian with chocolate
>> milk.
>

>That sounds marginally less horrible than the chocolate milk on its own.

"No matter where you go - there you are."
- Dr Buckaroo Banzai

pdraper

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Simon R. Hughes wrote in message <3556c347...@news1.telia.com>...

>Thus Spake mba...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Mark Baker):
>

>> You don't want either. Just tap water: about half as much as there is
>> scotch.
>>
>> Of course, that's assuming it's a reasonable single malt.
>

>Sorry, but the mutilation of Scotch is right up there with claiming
>that Bacon wrote Shakespeare.

I'm quite fond of single malts and prefer them straight but many people
claim that adding water brings out the more subtle tastes. I'm told that in
tasting circles there are even debates about which waters you should drink
them with.

Paul Draper
pdr...@baig.co.uk
0171 369 2754

Iskandar Baharuddin

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98
to pdraper

pdraper wrote:

I recall entertaining an Indonesian government official.

When asked what he wanted to drink he really should have answered "orange
juice".

Instead, he asked for:

"Chivas & coke"

Obviously had a very discerning palate.

--
Salaam & Shalom

Izzy

Any opinions expressed are not necessarily my own.

a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Saw it coming. The other shoe is "formuli", which is more of a
boot actually. My apologies -- the last thing I need is the
Irish Guards after me as well as the Newfoundland Light Horse
(for Crosby not Crosbie). I must take more care.

So how do *you* pronounce "buses" -- with a final "z" or an "s"?
And none of this "na'ear'ma'cul" stuff please.

a1a (Busses with an "s")

Brian J Goggin

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 15:27:04 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:

[...]

>So how do *you* pronounce "buses" -- with a final "z" or an "s"?
>And none of this "na'ear'ma'cul" stuff please.
>
>a1a (Busses with an "s")

I thought we were talking about drink? I'm faced with a disaster --- I
have to go downstairs to get another glass of sherry --- and you want
me to do ASCII IPA?

bjz

Skitt

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 15:27:04 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:

[...]

>So how do *you* pronounce "buses" -- with a final "z" or an "s"?
>And none of this "na'ear'ma'cul" stuff please.
>
>a1a (Busses with an "s")

I didn't know you cared. <blushing and puckering>
Skitt

a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 14:27:50 -0400, "Skitt" <al...@myself.com>
wrote:

Baah.

a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 16:45:56 GMT, b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian J
Goggin) wrote:

>On Sat, 16 May 1998 15:27:04 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:
>

>[...]

>>So how do *you* pronounce "buses" -- with a final "z" or an "s"?
>>And none of this "na'ear'ma'cul" stuff please.
>>
>>a1a (Busses with an "s")
>

>I thought we were talking about drink? I'm faced with a disaster --- I
>have to go downstairs to get another glass of sherry --- and you want
>me to do ASCII IPA?

Be prepared. But no, I wouldn't do that to a chap.

Busiz
busiss
buseez
buseess
bus@z
bus@ss

Tick one.

Brian J Goggin

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 20:06:15 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:

[...]

>>I thought we were talking about drink? I'm faced with a disaster --- I
>>have to go downstairs to get another glass of sherry --- and you want
>>me to do ASCII IPA?
>>
>Be prepared. But no, I wouldn't do that to a chap.

I've moved on to rum with ginger ale.

Busiz or bus@z, I think. I'll try again when the effects wear off.

bjg

Jitze Couperus

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

In article <355dc25a....@news.indigo.ie>, b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian
J Goggin) wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 1998 15:27:04 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >So how do *you* pronounce "buses" -- with a final "z" or an "s"?
> >And none of this "na'ear'ma'cul" stuff please.
> >
> >a1a (Busses with an "s")
>

> I thought we were talking about drink? I'm faced with a disaster --- I
> have to go downstairs to get another glass of sherry --- and you want
> me to do ASCII IPA?
>

> bjz

Izzat your signature there? Would you mind blowing into this little
pipe please - A glass of sherry indeed! This after passionate paeans
about Guiness and Uisge. You expect me to believe that? Absolutely in no
state to be condcting an IPA.

PWP I'm afraid. (Pronouncing While Pissed)

Jitze

--
If replying, remove spam.filter from above address

Brian J Goggin

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

On 16 May 1998 20:48:28 GMT, coup...@cdc.spam.filter.com (Jitze
Couperus) wrote:

>In article <355dc25a....@news.indigo.ie>, b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian
>J Goggin) wrote:

[...]

>> bjz

>Izzat your signature there? Would you mind blowing into this little
>pipe please - A glass of sherry indeed! This after passionate paeans
>about Guiness and Uisge. You expect me to believe that? Absolutely in no
>state to be condcting an IPA.

At leasht shomeone notished.

bjg

a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 20:27:00 GMT, b...@wordwrights.ie (Brian J
Goggin) wrote:

>On Sat, 16 May 1998 20:06:15 GMT, a1a5...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>>I thought we were talking about drink? I'm faced with a disaster --- I
>>>have to go downstairs to get another glass of sherry --- and you want
>>>me to do ASCII IPA?
>>>

>>Be prepared. But no, I wouldn't do that to a chap.
>
>I've moved on to rum with ginger ale.
>
>Busiz or bus@z, I think. I'll try again when the effects wear off.
>
>bjg

If I had been more on the ball I might have seen that your
previous signature "bjz" (observed by our military friend) had
nothing to do with the Irish Guards and Badajoz, but was in fact
shorthand.

An attempt of my own to show that "busses" seems to be different
from "buses" led to kittenishness, lamely replied to.