you who have

arthurvv vart

Aug 3, 2021, 7:46:19 AM8/3/21
1) You who have been there should tell the others what it is like.
2) You, who have been there, should tell the others what it is like.

Is the punctuation in both sentences acceptable?
Is there any difference in the meanings?

Does '1' mean:
a) Those of you who have been there should tell the others what it is like.

Gratefully,
Navi

spains...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2021, 8:15:00 AM8/3/21
Yes it does. The difference in meaning? 1 addresses everyone,
2 addresses "You". In 2 we know that "You have been there".

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 3, 2021, 9:53:44 AM8/3/21
That is how it would be said.

(2) would not be said.

Ken Blake

Aug 3, 2021, 11:57:30 AM8/3/21
On 8/3/2021 4:46 AM, arthurvv vart wrote:
> 1) You who have been there should tell the others what it is like.
> 2) You, who have been there, should tell the others what it is like.
>
> Is the punctuation in both sentences acceptable?

Yes.

--
Ken

Jack

Aug 3, 2021, 12:23:03 PM8/3/21
I agree. In 1, the others may be mixed in with the addressed group. In
2, they are somewhere else.

--
Jack

Peter Moylan

Aug 3, 2021, 8:46:17 PM8/3/21
No, number 1 doesn't address everyone. It addresses those who have been
there.

spains...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2021, 3:21:31 PM8/5/21
Navi isn't great on providing context.

An MC enters an auditorium. A huge roar erupts, which he quickly
waves down.

"I am not the main speaker", he says. "The main speaker has asked that all of
you who haven't "been there" should move out of earshot; and wear these
headphones - playing popular music - to ensure that you cannot be addressed".

The main speaker arrives and addresses the audience?