is it "Whose your daddy?" or "Who's your Daddy"?

bosod...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2016, 6:42:09 PM6/8/16
and why?

Tony Cooper

Jun 8, 2016, 7:10:17 PM6/8/16
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:42:06 -0700 (PDT), bosod...@gmail.com wrote:

>and why?

I'd opt for "Who's your daddy?". It's generally used to mean "Who is
the one looking out for you?" or "Who is the one who is the boss
here?". The one asking the question is the one who sees himself as
the daddy".

The exceptions, of course, are when it's a question about actual
paternity.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

bosod...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2016, 10:47:15 PM6/8/16
thank you

bosod...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2016, 10:49:13 PM6/8/16
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 4:10:17 PM UTC-7, Tony Cooper wrote:
But since we're on it, what is the defense for "whose"?

Jerry Friedman

Jun 8, 2016, 10:58:42 PM6/8/16
On 6/8/16 5:10 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:42:06 -0700 (PDT), bosod...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> and why?
>
> I'd opt for "Who's your daddy?". It's generally used to mean "Who is
> the one looking out for you?" or "Who is the one who is the boss
> here?". The one asking the question is the one who sees himself as
> the daddy".

Maybe you remember an incident involving "Hoosier daddy."

--
Jerry Friedman
"No Trump" bridge-themed political shirts: cafepress.com/jerrysdesigns

Robert Bannister

Jun 8, 2016, 11:32:34 PM6/8/16
"Whose your daddy" makes no sense until a verb and probably a bit more
is added.

--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972

Ross

Jun 8, 2016, 11:44:07 PM6/8/16
You would have to ask someone who wants to defend it.

Since "who's" and "whose" are pronounced the same, the
latter is a common spelling error for the former. But
grammatically they are quite different.

Tony Cooper

Jun 9, 2016, 12:38:00 AM6/9/16
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 20:58:35 -0600, Jerry Friedman
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 6/8/16 5:10 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:42:06 -0700 (PDT), bosod...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> and why?
>>
>> I'd opt for "Who's your daddy?". It's generally used to mean "Who is
>> the one looking out for you?" or "Who is the one who is the boss
>> here?". The one asking the question is the one who sees himself as
>> the daddy".
>
>Maybe you remember an incident involving "Hoosier daddy."

Not really. The wordplay joke using "Hoosier" is so old and so often
heard that it doesn't register anymore.

When I was in the Army at Ft Leonard Wood (Missouri), I was in a
detail sent into (the city of) Rolla to pick up something. We stopped
in a restaurant and sat at the counter and ordered lunch. One of the
guys in the detail ordered something that came with mashed potatoes
and gravy. A Manhattan, I think.

He asked the waitress if she was originally from Missouri, and she
said yes. "Well, then," he said, "show me your tits".

The waitress calmly leaned over and tipped his plate into his lap
saying "I do that to every 100th asshole who makes a Show Me joke".

(For otherponders, Missouri is the "Show Me" state. It's their state
motto.)

Peter Moylan

Jun 9, 2016, 1:04:14 AM6/9/16
On 2016-Jun-09 08:42, bosod...@gmail.com wrote:
> and why?

Try moving your question to the "Organisation:" line of the message
header. Recent discussions have made it more probable that people will
look there.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

GordonD

Jun 9, 2016, 4:52:29 AM6/9/16
I like that. I hope she didn't get in trouble with her boss.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 9, 2016, 7:46:27 AM6/9/16
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 12:38:00 AM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:

> One of the
> guys in the detail ordered something that came with mashed potatoes
> and gravy. A Manhattan, I think.

Why would a cocktail come with a side dish?

Jerry Friedman

Jun 9, 2016, 8:27:42 AM6/9/16
On 6/8/16 10:37 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 20:58:35 -0600, Jerry Friedman
> <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I'd opt for "Who's your daddy?". It's generally used to mean "Who is
>>> the one looking out for you?" or "Who is the one who is the boss
>>> here?". The one asking the question is the one who sees himself as
>>> the daddy".
>>
>> Maybe you remember an incident involving "Hoosier daddy."
>
> Not really. The wordplay joke using "Hoosier" is so old and so often
> heard that it doesn't register anymore.

Much like Bob Knight's incidents of misbehavior, one of which I was
thinking of.

> When I was in the Army at Ft Leonard Wood (Missouri), I was in a
> detail sent into (the city of) Rolla to pick up something. We stopped
> in a restaurant and sat at the counter and ordered lunch. One of the
> guys in the detail ordered something that came with mashed potatoes
> and gravy. A Manhattan, I think.

Like PTD, I know "a Manhattan" that you might be served only as a cocktail.

> He asked the waitress if she was originally from Missouri, and she
> said yes. "Well, then," he said, "show me your tits".
>
> The waitress calmly leaned over and tipped his plate into his lap
> saying "I do that to every 100th asshole who makes a Show Me joke".

I think that's called "serving somebody right".

Tony Cooper

Jun 9, 2016, 12:10:18 PM6/9/16
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 06:27:16 -0600, Jerry Friedman
<jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> When I was in the Army at Ft Leonard Wood (Missouri), I was in a
>> detail sent into (the city of) Rolla to pick up something. We stopped
>> in a restaurant and sat at the counter and ordered lunch. One of the
>> guys in the detail ordered something that came with mashed potatoes
>> and gravy. A Manhattan, I think.
>
>Like PTD, I know "a Manhattan" that you might be served only as a cocktail.

I am not surprised that PTD knows not of the edible Manhattan, but I
am surprised that a Ohioan is unfamiliar with the term.

A "Manhattan" as a lunch item is a meat between slices of bread and
covered with gravy. It usually comes with a mashed potatoes.

This is a roast beef Manhattan:
http://www.asimplehomecook.com/roast-beef-manhattan-a-k-a-hot-roast-beef-sandwich/

but either chicken or turkey can be the meat part. When the meat is
beef, the gravy is brown. When the meat is chicken or turkey, the
gravy is white.

Some Manhattans are served as in the photograph with bread above and
below the meat. Some are "open face" with bread below but not above.

It's a standard offering in many restaurants, but not in high-end
restaurants. Find one of those restaurants that is open for breakfast
and lunch only, and Manhattans are likely to be on the menu one day a
week.

I have no idea if it's a regional thing or not. Midwest, for sure,
and quite common in the Southeast including Florida.

grabber

Jun 9, 2016, 12:16:42 PM6/9/16
On 6/9/2016 4:32 AM, Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 9/06/2016 7:10 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:42:06 -0700 (PDT), bosod...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> and why?
>>
>> I'd opt for "Who's your daddy?". It's generally used to mean "Who is
>> the one looking out for you?" or "Who is the one who is the boss
>> here?". The one asking the question is the one who sees himself as
>> the daddy".
>>
>> The exceptions, of course, are when it's a question about actual
>> paternity.
>>

> "Whose your daddy" makes no sense until a verb and probably a bit more
> is added.

Maybe just punctuation: Suppose Maisy has written "Knights were bold in
days of your", and Daisy has written "I hope your pleased with
yourself." Their father says "Your "your" should be "yore", and Maisy
asks "Whose "your", daddy?"

bosod...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 2:23:16 PM6/9/16
Makes-no-sense i betcha cuz the one with "whose' assumes a dependent clause to follow, no?

David Kleinecke

Jun 9, 2016, 2:34:19 PM6/9/16
New to me here in California. Wudnta gest.

Janet

Jun 9, 2016, 3:58:05 PM6/9/16
In article <329cfd9e-5f45-4566...@googlegroups.com>,
bosod...@gmail.com says...
No.

Janet

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 9, 2016, 4:07:15 PM6/9/16
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 12:10:18 PM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 06:27:16 -0600, Jerry Friedman
> <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> When I was in the Army at Ft Leonard Wood (Missouri), I was in a
> >> detail sent into (the city of) Rolla to pick up something. We stopped
> >> in a restaurant and sat at the counter and ordered lunch. One of the
> >> guys in the detail ordered something that came with mashed potatoes
> >> and gravy. A Manhattan, I think.
> >Like PTD, I know "a Manhattan" that you might be served only as a cocktail.
>
> I am not surprised that PTD knows not of the edible Manhattan, but I
> am surprised that a Ohioan is unfamiliar with the term.

Ohio is in fact part of the sivilized world.

> A "Manhattan" as a lunch item is a meat between slices of bread and
> covered with gravy. It usually comes with a mashed potatoes.
>
> This is a roast beef Manhattan:
> http://www.asimplehomecook.com/roast-beef-manhattan-a-k-a-hot-roast-beef-sandwich/

As it says, a "hot" or "open-face" sandwich.

We acknowledge the existence of Manhattan clam chowder but disavow responsibility
for its creation.

> but either chicken or turkey can be the meat part. When the meat is
> beef, the gravy is brown. When the meat is chicken or turkey, the
> gravy is white.
>
> Some Manhattans are served as in the photograph with bread above and
> below the meat. Some are "open face" with bread below but not above.
>
> It's a standard offering in many restaurants, but not in high-end
> restaurants. Find one of those restaurants that is open for breakfast
> and lunch only, and Manhattans are likely to be on the menu one day a
> week.
>
> I have no idea if it's a regional thing or not. Midwest, for sure,

What, when you were last there 50 years ago you saw it on a menu?

> and quite common in the Southeast including Florida.

So that's the region it's found in.

bosod...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 6:07:01 PM6/9/16
The use of whose to refer to inanimate antecedents (as in We could see a building whose roof was painted gold) has been criticized by usage commentators since the 1700s. The tradition holds that whose should function only as the possessive of who, and be limited in reference to persons. Nonetheless, whose has been used to refer to inanimate things since the 1300s, and it appears in the works of many illustrious writers, including Shakespeare, Milton, and Wordsworth. This use of whose undoubtedly serves a useful purpose, since which and that do not have possessive forms, and the substitute phrase of which is often cumbersome. Some 63 percent of a Panel accepted the sentence "The book, whose narrator speaks in the first person, is a mock autobiography." Thus, my sentence with a dependent clause argumentatively holds. So whose your daddy now Janet?

Jerry Friedman

Jun 9, 2016, 6:53:52 PM6/9/16
I don't remember ever hearing of that, even when I was a grad student in
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. On the other hand, it's not the kind of
thing I'd order, so I could easily forget.

Cleveland is only sort of in the Midwest.

James Wilkinson

Jun 9, 2016, 7:01:40 PM6/9/16
There isn't one, the sentence doesn't make sense. "Whose" must be followed by a noun, e.g. "Whose car is it?" "Whose daddy is it?" But not "Whose your daddy is it?" unless you're Welsh innit?

--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.

John Varela

Jun 9, 2016, 10:17:12 PM6/9/16
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 16:10:14 UTC, Tony Cooper
<tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A "Manhattan" as a lunch item is a meat between slices of bread and
> covered with gravy. It usually comes with a mashed potatoes.
>
> This is a roast beef Manhattan:
> http://www.asimplehomecook.com/roast-beef-manhattan-a-k-a-hot-roast-beef-sandwich/
>
> but either chicken or turkey can be the meat part. When the meat is
> beef, the gravy is brown. When the meat is chicken or turkey, the
> gravy is white.
>
> Some Manhattans are served as in the photograph with bread above and
> below the meat. Some are "open face" with bread below but not above.
>
> It's a standard offering in many restaurants, but not in high-end
> restaurants. Find one of those restaurants that is open for breakfast
> and lunch only, and Manhattans are likely to be on the menu one day a
> week.
>
> I have no idea if it's a regional thing or not. Midwest, for sure,
> and quite common in the Southeast including Florida.

I know that only as a hot roast beef sandwich. The same goes for my
wife, who is originally from Illinois.

--
John Varela

John Varela

Jun 9, 2016, 10:20:11 PM6/9/16
Are you under the impression that "who's" in "who's your daddy" ia a
possessive?

--
John Varela

RH Draney

Jun 10, 2016, 12:18:41 AM6/10/16
In another part of New Mexico, there is, or used to be, a concoction
called a "hot hamburger"...it was an actual item available on the menu
at the Drifter restaurant in Silver City....

Allow me to explain....

If you put cold sliced turkey between two slices of white bread, with
perhaps some mayo and the usual lettuce and tomato, that's a turkey
sandwich...if you put sliced turkey on *top* of a slice of white bread
and cover it with gravy, that's a "hot turkey" sandwich....

And if you put a hamburger patty inside a bun with assorted garden
stuff, that's a hamburger...but if you put the same patty on top of a
slice of bread and put gravy on it, the Drifter called that a "hot
hamburger"...like the hot turkey, the fries or potato chips that would
come with the original item are replaced with mashed potatoes, and those
too get gravy....

As to why someone might call such a thing a Manhattan, perhaps it costs
$24....r

Tony Cooper

Jun 10, 2016, 1:13:08 AM6/10/16
I am truly surprised that the term Manhattan is not more widely
recognized. I have been in many restaurants that offered it, but some
refer to it as an "open face sandwich". Yet, I've ordered it as a
Manhattan in those places and the waitress understood what I meant.

It has a Wiki page where it says:

Beef Manhattan is a dish consisting of roast beef and gravy.[1] It is
often served with mashed potatoes either on top or on the side.[1] A
variation on this dish is Turkey Manhattan, which substitutes turkey
for the roast beef. The term "Manhattan" is a misnomer as the beef and
turkey variants are usually referred to as "open-face sandwiches" in
New York and much of the eastern United States and the term
"Manhattan" is limited to the Midwest, the South, and parts of the
western United States. It is unlikely that restaurants in the New York
City area would understand what a customer was asking for if the diner
used the "Manhattan" phrase.

The dish was first served in a restaurant under the name "Beef
Manhattan" in a now defunct Indianapolis deli in the late 1940s where
it gained traction as a Hoosier staple. The dish was named by Naval
Ordnance Plant Indianapolis (NOPI) workers who were trained on
fabrication of the Norden Bombsight in Manhattan during WWII. They
fell in love with the open faced sandwich they had in Manhattan and
brought it back to their cafeteria as the "Beef Manhattan". In
Indiana, it is served on bread. The roast beef is sliced and put on
bread like a sandwich, then cut corner to corner and plated in a V
shape.[2] Mashed potatoes are served between the two halves, and the
whole is covered in gravy.[2]

Until reading the above, I wasn't aware that it was first served in my
home town of Indianapolis. That may explain my familiarity.

bill van

Jun 10, 2016, 2:07:29 AM6/10/16
In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-XnpX2NcFDULl@localhost>,
Was her whole family hot roast beef sandwiches?
--
bill

LFS

Jun 10, 2016, 4:13:22 AM6/10/16
On 09/06/2016 17:10, Tony Cooper wrote:

> A "Manhattan" as a lunch item is a meat between slices of bread and
> covered with gravy. It usually comes with a mashed potatoes.
>
> This is a roast beef Manhattan:
> http://www.asimplehomecook.com/roast-beef-manhattan-a-k-a-hot-roast-beef-sandwich/

Oh, yuck! Setting aside the ghastly idea of sandwiches with gravy, how
could anyone think that the appropriate potato to accompany any sort of
sandwich would be mashed? It has to be chips, either AmE or BrE.

--
Laura (emulate St George for email)

Peter Moylan

Jun 10, 2016, 4:14:54 AM6/10/16
On 2016-Jun-10 08:06, bosod...@gmail.com wrote:

> The use of whose to refer to inanimate antecedents (as in We could see a building whose roof was painted gold) has been criticized by usage commentators since the 1700s. The tradition holds that whose should function only as the possessive of who, and be limited in reference to persons. Nonetheless, whose has been used to refer to inanimate things since the 1300s, and it appears in the works of many illustrious writers, including Shakespeare, Milton, and Wordsworth. This use of whose undoubtedly serves a useful purpose, since which and that do not have possessive forms, and the substitute phrase of which is often cumbersome. Some 63 percent of a Panel accepted the sentence "The book, whose narrator speaks in the first person, is a mock autobiography." Thus, my sentence with a dependent clause argumentatively holds. So whose your daddy now Janet?

Non sequitur. Are you seriously suggesting that "your daddy" is inanimate?

bosod...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2016, 8:21:22 AM6/10/16
i'm lost. it's like being a musician without being able to read music. i can only go so far in a debate over usage without the academic experience of a seasoned grammarian.

CDB

Jun 10, 2016, 9:24:44 AM6/10/16
On 10/06/2016 12:17 AM, RH Draney wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> Tony Cooper wrote:

[a hot sandwich by any other name]

> In another part of New Mexico, there is, or used to be, a concoction
> called a "hot hamburger"...it was an actual item available on the
> menu at the Drifter restaurant in Silver City....

> Allow me to explain....

> If you put cold sliced turkey between two slices of white bread, with
> perhaps some mayo and the usual lettuce and tomato, that's a turkey
> sandwich...if you put sliced turkey on *top* of a slice of white
> bread and cover it with gravy, that's a "hot turkey" sandwich....

> And if you put a hamburger patty inside a bun with assorted garden
> stuff, that's a hamburger...but if you put the same patty on top of a
> slice of bread and put gravy on it, the Drifter called that a "hot
> hamburger"...like the hot turkey, the fries or potato chips that
> would come with the original item are replaced with mashed potatoes,
> and those too get gravy....

> As to why someone might call such a thing a Manhattan, perhaps it
> costs $24....r

Whatever happened to King Kong?

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2016, 9:33:37 AM6/10/16
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 1:13:08 AM UTC-4, Tony Cooper wrote:

> The dish was first served in a restaurant under the name "Beef
> Manhattan" in a now defunct Indianapolis deli in the late 1940s where
> it gained traction as a Hoosier staple. The dish was named by Naval
> Ordnance Plant Indianapolis (NOPI) workers who were trained on
> fabrication of the Norden Bombsight in Manhattan during WWII. They
> fell in love with the open faced sandwich they had in Manhattan and
> brought it back to their cafeteria as the "Beef Manhattan". In
> Indiana, it is served on bread. The roast beef is sliced and put on
> bread like a sandwich, then cut corner to corner and plated in a V
> shape.[2] Mashed potatoes are served between the two halves, and the
> whole is covered in gravy.[2]
>
> Until reading the above, I wasn't aware that it was first served in my
> home town of Indianapolis. That may explain my familiarity.

What seems most odd is that it had never occurrec to a Hoosier to concoct
an open-face sandwich.

The described geometrics, however, would seem to be the local contribution.

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2016, 9:36:08 AM6/10/16
I think it was last night (maybe it was Wednesday), Colbert had someone who
recently finished filming yet another remake of *King Kong*. It'll be
out in 2017.

Tony Cooper

Jun 10, 2016, 3:29:18 PM6/10/16
I don't quite follow the objection. Gravy over meat is considered to
be acceptable. Is it the presence of the bread that is objectionable?

Mashed potatoes and gravy is a standard combination. Mashed potatoes
as a side dish to roast beef or turkey is standard fare.

It must be the bread that offends.

Of course, my view is biased. I rather like Manhattans. Following a
holiday, my wife often uses up the turkey or chicken left-overs by
serving turkey or chicken Manhattans. White gravy, of course.

Mack A. Damia

Jun 10, 2016, 3:49:43 PM6/10/16
I have made Manhattans with left-over whiskey and vermouth.

Richard Heathfield

Jun 10, 2016, 5:12:13 PM6/10/16
On 10/06/16 20:49, Mack A. Damia wrote:
<snip>

> I have made Manhattans with left-over whiskey and vermouth.

How on earth did you manage to find some left-over whiskey? I don't get it.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Mack A. Damia

Jun 10, 2016, 5:27:15 PM6/10/16
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 22:12:10 +0100, Richard Heathfield
<r...@cpax.org.uk> wrote:

>On 10/06/16 20:49, Mack A. Damia wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> I have made Manhattans with left-over whiskey and vermouth.
>
>How on earth did you manage to find some left-over whiskey? I don't get it.

Left-over after passing out the night before.

RH Draney

Jun 10, 2016, 6:59:59 PM6/10/16
Have you reference to this Kliban classic?

http://gocomics.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5f3053ef016764efa6f0970b-600wi

....r

Robert Bannister

Jun 10, 2016, 9:48:48 PM6/10/16
One line: "Mashed potatoes are served between the two halves" puzzled me
a bit. My first reading was that this was now a true sandwich of beef
and mashed potato, but I suppose it means "between the two halves on the
plate". How is one meant to eat this "dish"? Knife and fork? What is the
point of a sandwich that you can't eat with your fingers?

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 10, 2016, 10:42:58 PM6/10/16
Remember that AusE has a highly restricted understanding of "sandwich."

"Whole thing covered in gravy" sounds like way too much gravy (what a Chicagoan
might expect in Indiana, I suppose), but it also sounds like the Adelaide turd,
of which the only description we were given was "pie floating in pea soup" or
some such, with no way of knowing whether that was a caricature.

Jerry Friedman

Jun 10, 2016, 11:37:06 PM6/10/16
On 6/9/16 10:17 PM, RH Draney wrote:

> In another part of New Mexico, there is, or used to be, a concoction
> called a "hot hamburger"...it was an actual item available on the menu
> at the Drifter restaurant in Silver City....
>
> Allow me to explain....
>
> If you put cold sliced turkey between two slices of white bread, with
> perhaps some mayo and the usual lettuce and tomato, that's a turkey
> sandwich...if you put sliced turkey on *top* of a slice of white bread
> and cover it with gravy, that's a "hot turkey" sandwich....
>
> And if you put a hamburger patty inside a bun with assorted garden
> stuff, that's a hamburger...but if you put the same patty on top of a
> slice of bread and put gravy on it, the Drifter called that a "hot
> hamburger"...like the hot turkey, the fries or potato chips that would
> come with the original item are replaced with mashed potatoes, and those
> too get gravy....

That's just silly.

Tony Cooper

Jun 10, 2016, 11:47:54 PM6/10/16
Traditionally, the bread is cut on a diagonal and the two base slices
of bread are placed on the plate in a V. The mashed potatoes fit in
the opening of the V. The meat is placed on the base slices of bread,
and gravy is poured over all. A second layer of bread is optional.

Yes, knife and fork. I'm not at all convinced that there has to be a
point if one likes the taste.

RH Draney

Jun 11, 2016, 12:35:58 AM6/11/16
On 6/10/2016 8:36 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On 6/9/16 10:17 PM, RH Draney wrote:
>>
>> And if you put a hamburger patty inside a bun with assorted garden
>> stuff, that's a hamburger...but if you put the same patty on top of a
>> slice of bread and put gravy on it, the Drifter called that a "hot
>> hamburger"...like the hot turkey, the fries or potato chips that would
>> come with the original item are replaced with mashed potatoes, and those
>> too get gravy....
>
> That's just silly.

But damn tasty....r

CDB

Jun 11, 2016, 7:58:05 AM6/11/16
On 10/06/2016 6:58 PM, RH Draney wrote:
> CDB wrote:
>> RH Draney wrote:

[Manhattan mince with brown sauce yum]

>>> As to why someone might call such a thing a Manhattan, perhaps
>>> it costs $24....r

>> Whatever happened to King Kong?

> Have you reference to this Kliban classic?

> http://gocomics.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5f3053ef016764efa6f0970b-600wi

Thank you. I have almost stopped looking for specific drawings, since
so many of them are unavailable,

_Rocky Horror_ too, of course.

Katy Jennison

Jun 11, 2016, 5:20:36 PM6/11/16
I did a double-take there. If they've been on holiday, I thought, why
have they got left-over turkey or chicken? It's that American use of
"holiday" for a festive day.

It's awfully subtle, though. We Brits use it too, but just not quite in
the same context.

--
Katy Jennison

Tony Cooper

Jun 11, 2016, 5:28:53 PM6/11/16
Yes, a momentary slip of the guard not to use expressions with
crosspondial differences in primary meaning.

"Holidays", in this case, means Christmas and Thanksgiving. It could
be another holiday if we've had son and daughter and their families
over and prepared more chicken or turkey than was consumed at the
gathering, but Christmas and Thanksgiving are the primary holidays I
had in mind.

Following a vacation, there are no special meals that come to mind
that my wife prepares.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Jun 11, 2016, 7:02:44 PM6/11/16
On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 22:20:33 +0100, Katy Jennison
<ka...@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

It can be confusing. For schoolkids the days they are off school over
the Christmas (and New Year) period are the "Christmas Holidays".

However, if you ask someone if their family will be spending Christmas
with relatives, the answer might be "No, we are going on holiday",
meaning that they will be travelling to a tourist destination of some
sort.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Robert Bannister

Jun 11, 2016, 8:32:45 PM6/11/16
Doesn't the bread go all soggy? I would usually place hot meat in a roll
(bun) or toast to stop it falling apart.

Tony Cooper

Jun 11, 2016, 9:18:31 PM6/11/16
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 08:32:43 +0800, Robert Bannister
The gravy does permeate the bread, but since it is eaten with a fork
the falling apart aspect is not in play.

Peter Moylan

Jun 11, 2016, 9:56:13 PM6/11/16
On 2016-Jun-12 08:59, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 22:20:33 +0100, Katy Jennison
> <ka...@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:

>> I did a double-take there. If they've been on holiday, I thought, why
>> have they got left-over turkey or chicken? It's that American use of
>> "holiday" for a festive day.
>>
>> It's awfully subtle, though. We Brits use it too, but just not quite in
>> the same context.
>
> It can be confusing. For schoolkids the days they are off school over
> the Christmas (and New Year) period are the "Christmas Holidays".

In the southern hemisphere, the Christmas holidays last for six weeks or so.

Robert Bannister

Jun 12, 2016, 8:10:07 PM6/12/16
My worries are allayed.

Robert Bannister

Jun 12, 2016, 8:11:28 PM6/12/16
On 12/06/2016 9:56 AM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 2016-Jun-12 08:59, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 22:20:33 +0100, Katy Jennison
>> <ka...@spamtrap.kjennison.com> wrote:
>
>>> I did a double-take there. If they've been on holiday, I thought, why
>>> have they got left-over turkey or chicken? It's that American use of
>>> "holiday" for a festive day.
>>>
>>> It's awfully subtle, though. We Brits use it too, but just not quite in
>>> the same context.
>>
>> It can be confusing. For schoolkids the days they are off school over
>> the Christmas (and New Year) period are the "Christmas Holidays".
>
> In the southern hemisphere, the Christmas holidays last for six weeks or so.

And are frequently called "the summer holidays".

Charles Bishop

Jul 17, 2016, 12:28:33 PM7/17/16
In article <njdf6...@news6.newsguy.com>,
RH Draney <dado...@cox.net> wrote:

> On 6/9/2016 3:53 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > On 6/9/16 10:10 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> >>
> >> A "Manhattan" as a lunch item is a meat between slices of bread and
> >> covered with gravy. It usually comes with a mashed potatoes.
> >>
> >> This is a roast beef Manhattan:
> >> http://www.asimplehomecook.com/roast-beef-manhattan-a-k-a-hot-roast-beef-sa
> >> ndwich/
> >>

> >> but either chicken or turkey can be the meat part. When the meat is
> >> beef, the gravy is brown. When the meat is chicken or turkey, the
> >> gravy is white.
> >>
> >> Some Manhattans are served as in the photograph with bread above and
> >> below the meat. Some are "open face" with bread below but not above.
> >>
> >> It's a standard offering in many restaurants, but not in high-end
> >> restaurants. Find one of those restaurants that is open for breakfast
> >> and lunch only, and Manhattans are likely to be on the menu one day a
> >> week.
> >>
> >> I have no idea if it's a regional thing or not. Midwest, for sure,
> >> and quite common in the Southeast including Florida.
> >
> > I don't remember ever hearing of that, even when I was a grad student in
> > Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. On the other hand, it's not the kind of
> > thing I'd order, so I could easily forget.
> >
> > Cleveland is only sort of in the Midwest.
>
> In another part of New Mexico, there is, or used to be, a concoction
> called a "hot hamburger"...it was an actual item available on the menu
> at the Drifter restaurant in Silver City....
>
> Allow me to explain....
>
> If you put cold sliced turkey between two slices of white bread, with
> perhaps some mayo and the usual lettuce and tomato, that's a turkey
> sandwich...if you put sliced turkey on *top* of a slice of white bread
> and cover it with gravy, that's a "hot turkey" sandwich....
>
> And if you put a hamburger patty inside a bun with assorted garden
> stuff, that's a hamburger...but if you put the same patty on top of a
> slice of bread and put gravy on it, the Drifter called that a "hot
> hamburger"...like the hot turkey, the fries or potato chips that would
> come with the original item are replaced with mashed potatoes, and those
> too get gravy....

If you put two halves of a hamburger bun on a plate, and put a hamburger
on each, and then pour chili liberally over that, and then top with
chopped onions and grated cheese, it's a Chili Size

CA, USA when I first encountered same.

[snip]

--
chrles

RH Draney

Jul 17, 2016, 2:10:49 PM7/17/16
Except that the bun should really be rye toast....

(CA, USA when I was born there)....r

Charles Bishop

Jul 22, 2016, 11:10:42 PM7/22/16
In article <nmghr...@news6.newsguy.com>,