California condors

David Kleinecke

May 18, 2022, 2:45:56 PM5/18/22
In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".

The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me. Do other people have this idiom with the same meaning?

Are there any other word pairs like this?

Paul Carmichael

May 18, 2022, 2:58:30 PM5/18/22
El Wed, 18 May 2022 11:45:53 -0700, David Kleinecke escribió:

> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully",
> looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>
> The "them" variant of "those"

¿? It's not a variant, it's a pronoun.

"Them condors" is just plain wrong. Unless you are saying "I called them
condors. Was I correct?"

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Garrett Wollman

May 18, 2022, 3:00:46 PM5/18/22
In article <d476bb66-c4ca-4ccf...@googlegroups.com>,
David Kleinecke <dklei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully",
>looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".

I would honestly take it as a typo.

-GAWollman

wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

lar3ryca

May 18, 2022, 3:10:01 PM5/18/22
On 2022-05-18 12:45, David Kleinecke wrote:
> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>
> The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me. Do other people have this idiom with the same meaning?

Yes. It's quite common in informal conversation, especially when
speaking of sports teams.

"How about them Maple Leafs, eh?"

lar3ryca

May 18, 2022, 3:34:39 PM5/18/22
On 2022-05-18 13:22, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Supersedes: <them-2022...@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
>
>> Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> writes:
>> "Them condors" is just plain wrong. Unless you are saying "I called them
>> condors. Was I correct?"
>
> |Now look at them yo-yos
> |that's the way you do
> Dire Straits
>
> The attributive demonstrative them as in "She likes them
> apples" or "I love them shoes" can be found in Urban AAVE,
> Rural AAVE, Earlier AAVE, Southern EAVE, and Northern EAV.

I had completely forgotten a phrase I have used often; "How do ya like
them apples?", which has a meaning something like "So there!", or "Put
that in your pipe and smoke it!'.

musika

May 18, 2022, 4:15:31 PM5/18/22
On 18/05/2022 20:00, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <d476bb66-c4ca-4ccf...@googlegroups.com>,
> David Kleinecke <dklei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully",
>> looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>
> I would honestly take it as a typo.

Yes, he obviously meant to type "them thar condors..."

--
Ray
UK

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 18, 2022, 4:22:19 PM5/18/22
On 2022-05-18 18:45:53 +0000, David Kleinecke said:

> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully",
> looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>
> The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home
> intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me. Do other people
> have this idiom with the same meaning?

Yes. It's quite common in England. It may be regional, but I think it's
more of a non-regional uneducated usage.

> Are there any other word pairs like this?

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

bruce bowser

May 18, 2022, 4:27:46 PM5/18/22
(said in between swigs) Weez a musta' be monitorin' them thur kondirz kayirfleee?

Ken Blake

May 18, 2022, 5:18:13 PM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 19:00:41 -0000 (UTC), wol...@bimajority.org
(Garrett Wollman) wrote:

>In article <d476bb66-c4ca-4ccf...@googlegroups.com>,
>David Kleinecke <dklei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully",
>>looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>
>I would honestly take it as a typo.

Perhaps a thinko, but I can't imagine its being a typo.

Ken Blake

May 18, 2022, 5:20:00 PM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 13:09:56 -0600, lar3ryca <la...@invalid.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-05-18 12:45, David Kleinecke wrote:
>> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>>
>> The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me. Do other people have this idiom with the same meaning?
>
>Yes. It's quite common in informal conversation,

Not in my informal conversations...

>especially when
>speaking of sports teams.

...perhaps because I never have conversations about sports teams.

Ken Blake

May 18, 2022, 5:21:22 PM5/18/22
I'm glad you apparently never say "Put them in your pipe and smoke
it!."

Jerry Friedman

May 18, 2022, 5:39:34 PM5/18/22
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 12:45:56 PM UTC-6, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>
> The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me.

Depending on the social context?

> Do other people have this idiom with the same meaning?

About 90% of the people in my town. I think it's very widespread among non-
standard speakers.

I wouldn't call it an idiom. It's a variant that goes back to the Wycliffite Bible (1382),
though when modifying the subject of a verb, not till 1607 (OED).

Compare "we New Mexicans", "us New Mexicans" (non-standard as a subject),
"you Californians".

> Are there any other word pairs like this?

Isn't / ain't? All that / all's? I seen him / I saw him? Would have / Would of? (For our
friends overseas, where "of" is pronounced differently from "'ve".) My dog got run over /
My dog got ran over?

STS warning:

I'm looking over
My dead dog Rover
That I overran with the mower.

(There's more.)

--
Jerry Friedman

Garrett Wollman

May 18, 2022, 5:46:51 PM5/18/22
In article <rioa8h1v56oe0snbs...@4ax.com>,
I can, easily. Production errors of that type are quite common when
typing.

Ross Clark

May 18, 2022, 8:06:23 PM5/18/22
On 19/05/2022 9:39 a.m., Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 12:45:56 PM UTC-6, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
>> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
>>
>> The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me.
>
> Depending on the social context?
>
>> Do other people have this idiom with the same meaning?
>
> About 90% of the people in my town. I think it's very widespread among non-
> standard speakers.
>
> I wouldn't call it an idiom. It's a variant that goes back to the Wycliffite Bible (1382),
> though when modifying the subject of a verb, not till 1607 (OED).

Hi Jerry, good to have you back.

While we're considering the history, it's worth pointing out that the
whole _they/them/their_ pronoun set were originally demonstratives in
their Scandinavian source language ("those (guys)").
Apparently there's some use of "they" as demonstrative too:

▸ a1470 T. Malory Morte Darthur (Winch. Coll. 13) (1990) I. 31 They
two knyghtes mette with kynge Idres that was nere discomfited.

a1500 (▸1422) J. Yonge tr. Secreta Secret. (Rawl.) (1898) 160 (MED)
Fore thay thre causis, I leue of that matiere.

And doesn't it seem possible that the demonstrative "them" that we see
in Wycliffe 1382 and after might owe something to the oblique plural
_þæm_ of the OE demonstrative paradigm for "that" (M se, F þæt, N seo,
Pl þa)?

Peter Moylan

May 18, 2022, 9:24:31 PM5/18/22
"Looks like you still got a lot of sheep to dip."
"Nah, I done them sheep yesterday."

Common in rural Australia, but definitely considered substandard. Rather
less common in the cities.

Jerry Friedman

May 18, 2022, 11:00:15 PM5/18/22
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 6:06:23 PM UTC-6, benl...@ihug.co.nz wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 9:39 a.m., Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 12:45:56 PM UTC-6, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".
> >>
> >> The "them" variant of "those" has an implication of close down home intimacy. Permissible to an Old Californiano like me.
> >
> > Depending on the social context?
> >
> >> Do other people have this idiom with the same meaning?
> >
> > About 90% of the people in my town. I think it's very widespread among non-
> > standard speakers.
> >
> > I wouldn't call it an idiom. It's a variant that goes back to the Wycliffite Bible (1382),
> > though when modifying the subject of a verb, not till 1607 (OED).

> Hi Jerry, good to have you back.

Good to see you here.

> While we're considering the history, it's worth pointing out that the
> whole _they/them/their_ pronoun set were originally demonstratives in
> their Scandinavian source language ("those (guys)").
> Apparently there's some use of "they" as demonstrative too:
>
> ▸ a1470 T. Malory Morte Darthur (Winch. Coll. 13) (1990) I. 31 They
> two knyghtes mette with kynge Idres that was nere discomfited.
>
> a1500 (▸1422) J. Yonge tr. Secreta Secret. (Rawl.) (1898) 160 (MED)
> Fore thay thre causis, I leue of that matiere.

Interesting, and still in existence in some dialects. The famous example
in certain circles is something the poet Philip Levine, who was working at
a zoo, heard from a black co-worker: "They feed they lion with they sack."
Only I may be misquoting it--I can't find it on line, and I can't find the book
where I read it.

> And doesn't it seem possible that the demonstrative "them" that we see
> in Wycliffe 1382 and after might owe something to the oblique plural
> _þæm_ of the OE demonstrative paradigm for "that" (M se, F þæt, N seo,
> Pl þa)?

More interesting stuff.

> > Compare "we New Mexicans", "us New Mexicans" (non-standard as a subject),
> > "you Californians".

And what did you think of that?

--
Jerry Friedman

Ross Clark

May 19, 2022, 12:09:25 AM5/19/22
Spot on, of course.

Ruud Harmsen

May 19, 2022, 2:15:04 AM5/19/22
Wed, 18 May 2022 22:22:12 +0200: Athel Cornish-Bowden
<acor...@imm.cnrs.fr> scribeva:

This kinda English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wShL3lIkro

>> Are there any other word pairs like this?

--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 19, 2022, 3:05:13 AM5/19/22
On 2022-05-18 21:46:46 +0000, Garrett Wollman said:

> In article <rioa8h1v56oe0snbs...@4ax.com>,
> Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 May 2022 19:00:41 -0000 (UTC), wol...@bimajority.org
>> (Garrett Wollman) wrote:

>>> I would honestly take it as a typo.
>>

>> Perhaps a thinko, but I can't imagine its being a typo.
>
> I can, easily. Production errors of that type are quite common when
> typing.

My computer is very fond of the letter l, and often puts one instead of
m. Likewise with c as a substitute space.

CDB

May 19, 2022, 7:01:52 AM5/19/22
Maybe not exactly the same, but "she/her" is sometimes used instead of
"it", probably by some of the same people who say "them apples". Give
'er another try, she's still flooded.

CDB

May 19, 2022, 7:11:20 AM5/19/22
On 5/18/2022 8:06 PM, Ross Clark wrote:
Good point, but the F is "seo" and the N is "thaet".

Ross Clark

May 19, 2022, 5:31:34 PM5/19/22
Oops.

Jerry Friedman

May 19, 2022, 5:46:45 PM5/19/22
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 12:45:56 PM UTC-6, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
> In a local context I wrote "We must monitor them condors carefully", looked at what I had written and wondered at the "them".

In case anyone's interested, this is another Yurok-related post.
The condors David is talking about are being released on the
Yurok reservation with the enthusiastic cooperation of the tribe.

--
Jerry Friedman

musika

May 19, 2022, 6:03:17 PM5/19/22
I suggest you name one "Leezza Rice".

--
Ray
UK

Jerry Friedman

May 19, 2022, 6:06:23 PM5/19/22
Good one! Yurok!

--
Jerry Friedman

Jerry Friedman

May 19, 2022, 8:49:11 PM5/19/22
A lie. The tribe is participating, but the condors are being released
in Redwood National and State Parks, which constitute a combined
entity.

--
Jerry Friedman
In case anyone's interested.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 20, 2022, 3:55:19 AM5/20/22
I think the largest Euro note is 200 (threads passim); but perhaps there is a(n?) Eurok coming soon.

Ok, I won't just post this raw, unlike PTD I'll check Wikipedia 1st.
Maybe not then; they cancelled the 500€ note.

'Minium' would be a poor name for one of the other birds.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 20, 2022, 4:23:53 AM5/20/22
Yes. Apparently it was much favoured by money launderers. I never saw one.

> 'Minium' would be a poor name for one of the other birds.

Paul Carmichael

May 20, 2022, 6:09:51 AM5/20/22
El Fri, 20 May 2022 10:23:47 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden escribió:

> On 2022-05-20 07:51:23 +0000, Kerr-Mudd, John said:

>> Ok, I won't just post this raw, unlike PTD I'll check Wikipedia 1st.
>> Maybe not then; they cancelled the 500€ note.
>
> Yes. Apparently it was much favoured by money launderers. I never saw
> one.

They were called "Bin Ladens"

https://www.antena3.com/programas/espejo-publico/noticias/los-billetes-
de-500-conocidos-como-bin-laden_202001085e15ceed0cf21e5aa4965880.html

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

J. J. Lodder

May 20, 2022, 7:20:21 AM5/20/22
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2022 15:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I suggest you name one "Leezza Rice".
> >
> > Good one! Yurok!
> >
> I think the largest Euro note is 200 (threads passim); but perhaps there
> is a(n?) Eurok coming soon.
>
> Ok, I won't just post this raw, unlike PTD I'll check Wikipedia 1st. Maybe
> not then; they cancelled the 500€ note.

Not really, it's just that they no longer print new ones.
And central banks destroy the ones that they take in.
They remain legal tender,
(if you can find somebody who will accept one)

Jan

Peter T. Daniels

May 20, 2022, 9:21:33 AM5/20/22
But there's no r in the middle of her name.

Peter T. Daniels

May 20, 2022, 9:24:28 AM5/20/22
On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 7:20:21 AM UTC-4, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 May 2022 15:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
> > Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Good one! Yurok!

(No, it wasn't a good one.)

> > I think the largest Euro note is 200 (threads passim); but perhaps there
> > is a(n?) Eurok coming soon.
> > Ok, I won't just post this raw, unlike PTD I'll check Wikipedia 1st. Maybe
> > not then; they cancelled the 500€ note.
>
> Not really, it's just that they no longer print new ones.
> And central banks destroy the ones that they take in.
> They remain legal tender,
> (if you can find somebody who will accept one)

That's what he gets for a slander in relation to a feeble joke.

musika

May 20, 2022, 11:23:33 AM5/20/22
Indeed, it's an "l".

Now I know what the T. stands for in your name.

--
Ray
UK

Ken Blake

May 20, 2022, 2:18:49 PM5/20/22
On Fri, 20 May 2022 08:51:23 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
<ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2022 15:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
>Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > I suggest you name one "Leezza Rice".
>>
>> Good one! Yurok!
>>
>I think the largest Euro note is 200 (threads passim); but perhaps there is a(n?) Eurok coming soon.

No, Sol Eurok is long dead.

bruce bowser

May 20, 2022, 2:29:26 PM5/20/22
On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 6:03:17 PM UTC-4, musika wrote:
Yes. Were suggestions even requested?

Peter T. Daniels

May 20, 2022, 4:53:30 PM5/20/22
On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 11:23:33 AM UTC-4, musika wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 14:21, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> >> I suggest you name one "Leezza Rice".
> > But there's no r in the middle of her name.
>
> Indeed, it's an "l".

"Condor" ends with an [r].

M-W tells me the word is from Quechua, so there's no warrant
for dropping the r, Brit-style.

> Now I know what the T. stands for in your name.

What?

Jerry Friedman

May 20, 2022, 9:20:05 PM5/20/22
Thanks, glad to know the track I was one wasn't wrong.

--
Jerry Friedman

CDB

May 21, 2022, 6:07:39 AM5/21/22
On 5/20/2022 4:53 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> musika wrote:
>> Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>>> But there's no r in the middle of her name.

>> Indeed, it's an "l".

> "Condor" ends with an [r].

> M-W tells me the word is from Quechua, so there's no warrant for
> dropping the r, Brit-style.

But surely you would agree that in an English compound it is an English
word (at least, that is like what you were saying yesterday about a
diferent word); it would therefore be subject to the same dialectal
variations as any English word.

Snidely

May 21, 2022, 7:36:01 AM5/21/22
On Saturday or thereabouts, CDB asked ...
I can recognize a non-rhotic bird, even if it is not from Boston.

>>> Now I know what the T. stands for in your name.
>
>> What?

/dps "not from Old Boston to me, but also not Olde Boston"

--
"Inviting people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself
is a good thing to do, You may be a fool but you're the fool in

Peter T. Daniels

May 21, 2022, 10:11:00 AM5/21/22
The two syllables are equally (or almost so) stressed, so
"condorleezza" -- even with Brit desecration of the r -- is
not a valid pun / play on words. In the name, the vowel
of the second syllable is fully reduced to shwa.

Madhu

May 21, 2022, 10:37:29 AM5/21/22
* "Peter T. Daniels" <fd4b63e5-17d9-4f9c-b2c6-9eb238033ff3n @googlegroups.com> :
Wrote on Sat, 21 May 2022 07:10:57 -0700 (PDT):
The name was a mystery for me ever since i saw it in some 1990
publication (which tipped her for the post she actually held in 2001) I
assumed it was a form of Contalisa, which was the name of a luxury car
in India. However wikipedia says

"Her name, Condoleezza, derives from the music-related term con dolcezza,
which in Italian means, "with sweetness"."

>> > What?

?

some sort of glottal stop?

bruce bowser

May 21, 2022, 10:45:35 AM5/21/22
I guess both of those include 'Bah-ston'.

Ken Blake

May 21, 2022, 10:50:46 AM5/21/22
Interesting. Thanks, I didn't know that.

>which in Italian means, "with sweetness"."

Yes, that I would have realized.

Quinn C

May 22, 2022, 11:33:41 AM5/22/22
* Kerr-Mudd, John:

> On Thu, 19 May 2022 15:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I suggest you name one "Leezza Rice".
>>
>> Good one! Yurok!
>>
> 'Minium' would be a poor name for one of the other birds.

The last one - in the case we hope won't occur - could be "Lance".

--
Behold, honored adversaries,
We are the instruments of your joyful death.