The best aua posts in the world...EVER...2

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 1:17:44 PM8/23/01
Anyone fancy posting some links to any really amusing posts they can find
lying about on google?
To start the ball rolling, here's a few (most by me, heh) about some of the
regulars here...

CD 1:

Descriptions of peoples' writing style - James Gregory -
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=919ea36b1ac2ba9a,28&rnum=9
&selm=8hrru0%243mtqf%241%40fu-berlin.de

More descriptions of peoples' writing style - Flexiblegoat -
http://groups.google.com/groups?start=10&hl=en&safe=off&th=919ea36b1ac2ba9a,
28&rnum=16&selm=3942169c.4666873%40news.dircon.co.uk

Description of a pubmeet in London - James Gregory -
http://www.btinternet.com/~gregorywebpage/james/stuff/auapub.htm (why does
google not seem to have this?)

Urban folklore - Ginnie Redstone -
http://www.btinternet.com/~gregorywebpage/james/stuff/engprof.htm

James

Alex Warren

Aug 23, 2001, 2:04:41 PM8/23/01
James Gregory wrote:

> Anyone fancy posting some links to any really amusing posts they can find
> lying about on google?

One that I've dug up when idly looking through to see what aua regulars have
posted elsewhere is gem from our own Mr. Huntbach, which has the most fantastic
ending of a newsgroup post in history:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+-Re:+author:matthew+author:huntbach&hl=en&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=1998&rnum=2&selm=6g01a5%24m5t%241%40beta.qmw.ac.uk

Alex

--
OneBollock.com - Unusual, or the average? http://www.onebollock.com/

Pete Bartlett

Aug 23, 2001, 1:58:05 PM8/23/01

My stoopid newsreader may it bloomin' awkward to open those links. So I've
compiled the "Comments About AUAers Made By Other AUAers" list in a handy
format for no other reason than it'll probably start a discussion between
what's libel and what's slander.

People remaining to libelled in no particular order : Ian Ford. Cath Ford (I
know, I know but why not libel her anyway). smurf. Chris Share. Chris. Andy
Tucker. Craig Fothergill. Bill Day. Me. Niall. Katy Edgecombe. Stuart
Williams. The guy advertising penis enlargements (not the German server).
pkonline www.pkonline.freeurl.com......

-------
|James|
-------

Barry: uses pointy smileys, and tries to move any discussion ever into
discussing the accountability of university applications, the greatness of
the Tory Party and how more stuff needs privatising and less regualtion.

Josh: Uses pointy smileys, always tries to make clever retorts (which ar
always followed by a pointy smiley)

JHP: Says "LOL!" to anything even vaguley humorous. Also seems to have an
endless supply of minor witticsisms of his own. Alternates between a style
fantasically serious or fantastically childish. Has an obsession with
puddentats.

Flexiblegoat: Manages to fit a mention of drama or some 19th century novel
into any discussion, ever. Says "hehe" or "tehe" on a regualr basis. Also
mentions the implications of good looking (or, rather, "fit") women into
every thread ever.

Jez: Uses masses of footnotes. Fits talk of Maths STEP and computers into
every convesation ever, also likes mentioning how she can't afford things.
Oh, and says "<grin>", or even just "<g>", on a regular basis, too.

Mark: Never, ever makes any grammatical mistakes or spelling errors. Always
puts an invidually and cunningly crafted signature on each post. Like John
and Josh, makes little witty one lined jokes constantly. Also rather partial
to mentioning Greek. I could go on for ever (or at least on for the number
of regualr posters), but I feel I've already reduced my life expectancy to a
serious enough degree.

-------------
|Flexiblegoat|
-------------

Matthew: grumpy. Interested in the stupidity of students, the electorate and
just about everyone else.

Becca: welsh, rarely sober.

Adam: Meanders; makes the obvious sound suprising, hints at psychological
disorder, is a willful stereotype and generally concludes with a
misanthropic minnerant. Can't spell.

Rachel: Has a disinclination for writing much more than two lines. REPLIES
AT THE TOP.

David: Lives in a village(!). More interested in the ends of words than the
beginnings. Unhealty obsession with his left-hand.

Steve: Obsession with manliness borders on the homo-erotic. Economical with
smilies, paragraphs when he has a axe to grind. Nice legs ;->

Alex: Resists and embraces geekiness in equal measures. Posts are typically
short and sarcastic. Angry.

Becky: Miss innuendo 2000. As was. And a loonie-leftie

Ginnie: Prone to hyperbole, often refers to "offspring", fancies James.

Robert: Makes self-flagelation an art-form. Worried that Oxford might not
have best chemistty department, worried that he's worried that Oxford might
not... Should get angry more often.

--------------
|Alex Warren|
--------------

Adam: Hi I'm so crazy I could eat a goldfish.
Ally: I have a goldfish he is called Henry.
Adam: Henry is a funny name.
Pampoo: Cindy you're my one true love and I'm sorry about everything.
Paradox: Look at me I'm completely bonkers! A mate of mine said something
funny
once!
Omar: Tomorrow I will be dead. Then I'm off to Imperial.
Don'tDoIt: Never mind Omar - the UCAS website will live on.
Cynical Chris: I doubt it. In fact I doubt everything.
Sachi: obviously to doubt everything one would have to doubt all things
including two things which are opposite therefore we have a contradiction
Phil Yovish: I can't believe nobody spotted my obvious joke name!
Dr. A. N. Walker: Of course we at Nottingham spotted that it was a joke
name,
we're quite high in the tables for that sort of thing.
Matthew Huntbach: I see no reason to suppose that it is a joke name.
Gaurav: Yes

Pete Bartlett

Aug 23, 2001, 2:13:29 PM8/23/01

"Alex Warren" <al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote in message

> James Gregory wrote:
>
> > Anyone fancy posting some links to any really amusing posts they can
find
> > lying about on google?
>
> One that I've dug up when idly looking through to see what aua regulars
have
> posted elsewhere is gem from our own Mr. Huntbach, which has the most
fantastic
> ending of a newsgroup post in history:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+-Re:+author:matthew+author:huntbach&hl=en
&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=8&a
s_maxy=1998&rnum=2&selm=6g01a5%24m5t%241%40beta.qmw.ac.uk

What a fantastic post. And did you see the 313 post follow-up? AUA is a real
pussycat compared with the vicious tigers of SCI.

Rob Martin

Aug 23, 2001, 2:24:49 PM8/23/01
> One that I've dug up when idly looking through to see what aua regulars
have
> posted elsewhere is gem from our own Mr. Huntbach, which has the most
fantastic
> ending of a newsgroup post in history:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+-Re:+author:matthew+author:huntbach&hl=en
&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=8&a
s_maxy=1998&rnum=2&selm=6g01a5%24m5t%241%40beta.qmw.ac.uk

wow. I take it he didn't come back?

Omar take note.

rOB

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 3:10:30 PM8/23/01

"Pete Bartlett" <pc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> My stoopid newsreader may it bloomin' awkward to open those links. So I've
> compiled the "Comments About AUAers Made By Other AUAers" list in a handy
> format for no other reason than it'll probably start a discussion between
> what's libel and what's slander.

<snip>

I must admit, Alex's are by way the funniest.

OK, this is shit, but I need to libel as many people at once as possible:

one of the many random people who turn up and then leave a few days later
(eg nk):
hi, i am studying for 4 A-levels in... and am applying to cambridge/for
medicine but I am worried that the college I am applying to/GSCE
results/matriculation requirements/whatever may cause some issues. any
advice?

52 posters simulataneously (including eg Rachel Berry Chris Share): the
matriculation/GCSE/college information is/are...

26 posters simultaneously (including eg Josh Smith, Rob Martin): have you
considered Oxford instead.

12 posters simultaneously (including eg Bill Day, Pete Bartlett): I don't
know their specifics for your situation, but here are the specifics for my
situation.

smurf: hrmf, hmm, whatever

Katy Edgecombe: When one is looking for information on courses at Cambridge
I would not reccomend looking on a public newsgroup like this. Please try
phoning the appropriate admissions tutor.

smurf or Rachel Berry: hrmf, hmm, whatever. i was late for a ball in cam
yesterday

Andy Tucker: I was at a ball in Durham yesterday, and got rather drunk.
Still, good luck in your Cambridge application, random person, I'm sure
you'll be happy wherever you go!

Cynical Chris: gah, I don't believe in universities, or women

Craig Fothergill: Alcohol, great, lads! Good skills, class, the mackers
knackers! :)

Matthew Huntbach: I do not understand the point of alcohol. What is this
concept of "fun" of which you speak? When I was at university in 1957 many
had fun, but we soon grew out of it.

Niall Saville: In fact many people today still have fun, it is recognised as
a very good experience by approximately 52% of the world's population.

Pete Bartlett: I like films. Here are some reviews.

Ginnie Redstone: Excellent, great stuff Pete. I read the book of that, very
interesting imho.

Simon Pearson: Yes. Incidently, I went out in Lllan last night and got
drunk.

Becca Taylor: hehe!!! You are very naughty!!! :-) :-) :-) Happy smiley happy
smiley! :-)

James

Alex Warren

Aug 23, 2001, 3:16:45 PM8/23/01
James Gregory wrote:

> OK, this is shit, but I need to libel as many people at once as possible:

[massive snip]

Excellent stuff. Unfortunately you seem to have summarised absolutely
everything, which means we need have no more threads on AUA ever.

Pete Bartlett

Aug 23, 2001, 3:16:48 PM8/23/01
"Alex Warren" <al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote in message
> James Gregory wrote:
>
> > OK, this is shit, but I need to libel as many people at once as
possible:
> [massive snip]
>
> Excellent stuff. Unfortunately you seem to have summarised absolutely
> everything, which means we need have no more threads on AUA ever.

Since when has discussing a topic before been any reason for not discussing
it again?
Also, James himself remains unlibelled.

Craig Fothergill

Aug 23, 2001, 3:30:55 PM8/23/01
>Craig Fothergill: Alcohol, great, lads! Good skills, class, the mackers
>knackers! :)

?

OK, I'll be the first to moan about my summary...

What is a "macker"?

Alex Warren

Aug 23, 2001, 3:35:13 PM8/23/01
Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside AUA":

James Gregory
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=james%20gregory

Amazing stuff. I hope to god the third James Gregory isn't ours though. It seems
to me that all James Gregorys shown are rather peculiar.

Me
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=alex%20warren

These are mostly dull of course. Again several aren't me, which is interesting -
one with a wife, one unanswered question about a Ford transmission. Hmm.

Rob Martin
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=rob%20martin

None of these actually are Rob Martin.

Flexiblegoat
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=flexiblegoat

To quote an oft-seen Tequila joke poster seen in every student's bedroom, "have
you hugged your toilet today?"

Paul Engles
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=paul%20engles

Add Kraftwerk and computer games to list of interests.

Gaurav Sharma
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=gaurav%20sharma

Get yer spammin' hat on.

Becca Taylor
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=becca%20taylor

alt.fan.michaela.strachan? Honestly!

Ian/Cath Ford
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ian/cath%20ford

I quote - "OK, so who knows how hotels and the like might prep prunes for
breakfast?"

Ginnie Redston
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ginnie%20redston

Couldn't operate newsreader correctly in 1999 so we can see her attempt to
subscribe to an astrology mailing list. Sad stuff, sad stuff.

Mark Thakkar
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=mark%20thakkar

Flexi-style - as you've never seen him before!

Gaurav Sharma

Aug 23, 2001, 3:45:52 PM8/23/01

> Gaurav Sharma

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ga

urav%20sharma

> Get yer spammin' hat on.

About the:
http://www.btinternet.com/~secretlinks/

I admit it; I am truly ashamed. It will never happen again. I promise.

Really.

--
====================
Gaurav Sharma

Alex Warren

Aug 23, 2001, 3:51:26 PM8/23/01
Gaurav Sharma wrote:

> About the:
> http://www.btinternet.com/~secretlinks/
>
> I admit it; I am truly ashamed. It will never happen again. I promise.

I think calling the HTML page "New Page 1" really adds to the professional
image.

Gaurav Sharma

Aug 23, 2001, 3:52:20 PM8/23/01

> Gaurav Sharma wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ga
> > urav%20sharma
> > >
> > > Get yer spammin' hat on.
>
> > About the:
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~secretlinks/
> >
> > I admit it; I am truly ashamed. It will never happen again. I promise.
>

> I think calling the HTML page "New Page 1" really adds to the professional
> image.
>

> Alex

"Gaurav's first time"

Alex Warren

Aug 23, 2001, 3:58:24 PM8/23/01
Alex Warren wrote:

> Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside AUA":

Also:

Sachi
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=sa...@beer.com

Not sure how I could have left our dear Sachi from my previous list. It seems
nobody else has a clue what he's on about either, given that he rarely seems to
attract any form of reply.

Becca Taylor

Aug 23, 2001, 4:12:56 PM8/23/01
>Becca Taylor: hehe!!! You are very naughty!!! :-) :-) :-) Happy smiley
happy
>smiley! :-)

hee hee very funny :)

Becca

Becca Taylor

Aug 23, 2001, 4:16:41 PM8/23/01

-------------
>|Flexiblegoat|
>-------------
>Becca: welsh, rarely sober.

Is that what you think of me? Funny - everyone who meets me says 'you
haven't got a welsh accent' and immediately writes me off as non-welsh, and
lots of people think I'm a real alcoholic! :)
Becca

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 4:31:48 PM8/23/01

c...@beer.com

> Not sure how I could have left our dear Sachi from my previous list. It
seems
> nobody else has a clue what he's on about either, given that he rarely
seems to
> attract any form of reply.

First sentence is "hi, Just on my usual recursively styled thoughts".
Hehe.

James

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 4:34:03 PM8/23/01

"Craig Fothergill" <cr...@cfhome.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I've absolutely no idea, maybe I should've used "mutt's nuts" instead.

James

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 4:36:28 PM8/23/01

> Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside
AUA":

> James Gregory

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ja
mes%20gregory

> Amazing stuff. I hope to god the third James Gregory isn't ours though. It
seems
> to me that all James Gregorys shown are rather peculiar.

It's not really that amazing or surprising - talking about walking in
mountains and stuff.

<snip>

> Flexiblegoat

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=fl

exiblegoat

> To quote an oft-seen Tequila joke poster seen in every student's bedroom,
"have
> you hugged your toilet today?"
>

> Paul Engles

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=pa
ul%20engles

> Add Kraftwerk and computer games to list of interests.

I already know Paul quite well...

<snip>

> Becca Taylor

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=be
cca%20taylor

> alt.fan.michaela.strachan? Honestly!

Interesting selection of groups...

> Ian/Cath Ford

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ia

n/cath%20ford

> I quote - "OK, so who knows how hotels and the like might prep prunes for
> breakfast?"

Exellent stuff.

> Ginnie Redston

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=gi

nnie%20redston

> Couldn't operate newsreader correctly in 1999 so we can see her attempt to
> subscribe to an astrology mailing list. Sad stuff, sad stuff.

Heh.

> Mark Thakkar

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=ma

rk%20thakkar

> Flexi-style - as you've never seen him before!

Eh?

James

Becca Taylor

Aug 23, 2001, 4:40:23 PM8/23/01
>> Becca Taylor
>>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=b

>cca%20taylor
>>
>> alt.fan.michaela.strachan? Honestly!
>>

>Interesting selection of groups...

That was after my Strachan sighting at Birmingham New Street!
Becca

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 4:44:11 PM8/23/01

"Becca Taylor" <bec...@no.yahoo.spam.com> wrote in message

There's also (admittedly relevantly) spamming/advertising in uk.rec.climbing
(I occasionally lurk there, never saw that though), France stuff, and Buffy
stuff.

James

Mark Thakkar

Aug 23, 2001, 4:57:55 PM8/23/01
James,

>> Mark Thakkar
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=re%3A%20alt.uk.a-levels
>> &as_uauthors=mark%20thakkar
>>
>> Flexi-style - as you've never seen him before!
>
> Eh?

I believe he's referring to my stint on alt.teens.poetry.and.stuff.
Not very good at poetry, that lot, but then neither am I. I typed
up one thing I'd written, but found it far more amusing to post
the output of a random poetry generator I found on the internet.
(It was a cut above the rest, I tell you.) Samples here:

An albatross descends from the alarmed Jesus,
Operating like a panda the situation fell to lethargic motives
It beat down upon the killer whale; it looked like a smashed piece
of toast.
Winky, the precise little wall flower smiled with a cherub grin
A chain moos noisily, but no one ever listens...
Dark palaces fall from the tangerine jellyfish
"Duck, you stupid mantis!" whispered Jesus, his voice gone.
Heads whip back when crushed against anvil-like beaks
Jesus gave his all, but lost bitter sweet to time.

=

Unknowing, the silent woman hid from the unimaginable
barrenness;
She swamped its empty eyes,
Radiant her longing silence heard distant echoes of them,
It longed to touch them.
Longingly it engulfed the silent woman.
It was touched by the sadness of her vastness.

=

I especially like the last line of the second one...

Mark.

--

Prosaic

Mark Thakkar

Aug 23, 2001, 5:34:15 PM8/23/01
I wrote:

> I typed up one thing I'd written, but found it far more amusing
> to post the output of a random poetry generator I found on the
> internet. (It was a cut above the rest, I tell you.)

> [...]

> Unknowing, the silent woman hid from the unimaginable barrenness;
> She swamped its empty eyes,
> Radiant her longing silence heard distant echoes of them,
> It longed to touch them.
> Longingly it engulfed the silent woman.
> It was touched by the sadness of her vastness.

More amusing than the poem itself are the subsequent comments:

:: Too long of a line. Doesn't seem to make sense either...
:: Hmmm... Might just be that I'm reading it wrong..
:: [...]
:: This line makes no sense. Heard distant echos of them? Echos of
:: what? Sorry, but in C&C I give an honest point of view.
:
: It's called ambiguity. Look it up.
:
:: What was this poem supposed to be saying? Just curious..
:: I can't make head nor tail out of it...

And my favourite analyst:

"that's kind of an oxymoronic idea, isn't it?- unknowingly hiding
from something. the word "hiding" in itself suggests a
voluntary action.
should there be a comma after "radiant"? is radiant meant to
describe the "longing silence"? when i really look at what is
written, it seems that the "barrenness" has empty eyes, which are
producing some kind of noise which the "longing silence" is
hearing. is that what you meant to say?
now the silence longs to touch the barrenness's eyes??
i'm CONFUSED.
"sadness of her vastness" doesn't really work for me, though.
it's a little hard sounding, no?
this is one of the best poems i've read in this group yet.
:)
you have good potential as a writer, really. and this poem, in
my opinion, also has poetntial. you're using some really
interesting ideas, but it starts to get difficult with all the
abstraction. there really is no concrete image in the entire
poem, and i think this makes it a little out of reach...
just my opinion. :) "

Quite.

Mark.

--

Cruel, nor to be kind

Craig Fothergill

Aug 23, 2001, 4:39:49 PM8/23/01
>> >Craig Fothergill: Alcohol, great, lads! Good skills, class, the mackers
>> >knackers! :)
>>

>> OK, I'll be the first to moan about my summary...
>>
>> What is a "macker"?
>
>I've absolutely no idea, maybe I should've used "mutt's nuts" instead.
>
> James

OK, what about the rest?

Josh Smith

Aug 23, 2001, 5:57:11 PM8/23/01

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+-Re:+author:matthew+author:huntbach&hl=en

&safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=8&a
> s_maxy=1998&rnum=2&selm=6g01a5%24m5t%241%40beta.qmw.ac.uk

Incidentally MMH's post seemed a very reasonable appraisal of the problems
of Northern Ireland.

> What a fantastic post. And did you see the 313 post follow-up? AUA is a
real
> pussycat compared with the vicious tigers of SCI.

Not meaning to sound like I'm reminiscing (sp?) but AUA used to be
considerably more argumentative than it is now. Not sure if it was any
better informed, but it was certainly more vehement.

Josh

Ginnie Redston

Aug 23, 2001, 6:10:07 PM8/23/01

Alex burbled

> Couldn't operate newsreader correctly in 1999 so we can see her attempt to
> subscribe to an astrology mailing list. Sad stuff, sad stuff.

Still learning. Ah well at least (unlike James) you can spell my name
correctly.

Ginnie

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 6:20:21 PM8/23/01

"Craig Fothergill" <cr...@cfhome.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Just a general ladishness.

James

Mark Thakkar

Aug 23, 2001, 6:36:33 PM8/23/01
Josh,

> Not meaning to sound like I'm reminiscing (sp?) but AUA used to
> be considerably more argumentative than it is now. Not sure if
> it was any better informed, but it was certainly more vehement.

Whenabouts?

Mark.

--

Spoiling

Mark Thakkar

Aug 23, 2001, 6:43:26 PM8/23/01
James,

>>> I've absolutely no idea, maybe I should've used "mutt's nuts"
>>

>> OK, what about the rest?
>
> Just a general ladishness.

E.g. "And the other wicked thing me and me mates did at skool was
we completely trashed the place! Haaaa!"?

Mark.

Imran

Aug 23, 2001, 6:49:12 PM8/23/01
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:35:13 +0100, Alex Warren
<al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote:

>Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside AUA":

Incidently Google won't sure more then the first 1000 posts, so those
of us here with 1000+ posts are mostly safe.

On a slight tangental note in relation to another usenet thread on
aua:

If you want to find when a newsgroups was created you can find
newsgroup creation messages (from '92 onwards) at,

ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/

The alt.uk.a-levels creation message can be found at,

ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/alt/alt.uk.a-levels.Z

Imran (who's currently on his 6534th post :-)
--
TickleTux Hangman (for Windows and Linux)
http://tickletux.sourceforge.net

The OpenAtlas Project
http://openatlas.sourceforge.net

James Gregory

Aug 23, 2001, 6:56:41 PM8/23/01

"Imran" <Imr...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:35:13 +0100, Alex Warren
> <al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside
AUA":

> Incidently Google won't sure more then the first 1000 posts, so those
> of us here with 1000+ posts are mostly safe.

What, once you go past 1000 they delete your oldest post with each new post
you make?
Or what?

James

Josh Smith

Aug 23, 2001, 7:48:01 PM8/23/01

"Mark Thakkar" <mark.t...@balliol.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

Do you remember Gerard Chappell?

Josh

Pete Bartlett

Aug 23, 2001, 7:56:19 PM8/23/01
"Josh Smith" <jo...@journalism.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Incidentally MMH's post seemed a very reasonable appraisal of the problems
> of Northern Ireland.

Yes the British Government /now/ has, or at least appears to those of us who
have nothing to do with the island of Ireland, a sensible and obvious policy
towards NI and has done since the AI agreement of 1985. Us youngsters tend
to be at a loss as to what all the fuss is about - not being around to
witness the actions of the British Governments of the 70s and before. People
who were directly affected don't forget that easily

> Not meaning to sound like I'm reminiscing (sp?) but AUA used to be
> considerably more argumentative than it is now. Not sure if it was any
> better informed, but it was certainly more vehement.

I think I was a lurker during the Golden Age. It was still tech-y and
oxbridge-y but more ppl were prepared to write sustained, lengthy arguments.

Pete Bartlett

Aug 23, 2001, 8:04:30 PM8/23/01
"Josh Smith" <jo...@journalism.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Do you remember Gerald Chappell?

He was right about most stuff. Your challenge, should you choose to accept
it, prove me wrong :).

A link to his posts:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=Gerald
%20Chappell

Pete

p.s. Whilst exploring this link I found an early James Gregory post opining
that AUA was going downhill: 2nd June 2000 (message 6 in the Last Ever Post
thread) Was it the first? :).

Message has been deleted

Chris Share

Aug 23, 2001, 8:41:31 PM8/23/01
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:49:12 +0100, Imran(Imr...@btinternet.com)
said....

>On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:35:13 +0100, Alex Warren
><al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside AUA":
>>

>Incidently Google won't sure more then the first 1000 posts, so those
>of us here with 1000+ posts are mostly safe.

Not to anyone with an armed and ready google advanced groups
search... filter by date.
Can get your earliest, posts, if they're archived.

chris (on his umm...2900ishth post)

Josh Smith

Aug 23, 2001, 8:31:13 PM8/23/01

"Craig Fothergill" <cr...@cfhome.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

If he's such a lad he can buy a pint for Mark and yours truly next term ;-)

Josh

Chris Share

Aug 23, 2001, 8:50:28 PM8/23/01
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:56:19 +0100, Pete Bartlett(pc...@yahoo.com)
said....

>"Josh Smith" <jo...@journalism.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Not meaning to sound like I'm reminiscing (sp?) but AUA used to be
>> considerably more argumentative than it is now. Not sure if it was any
>> better informed, but it was certainly more vehement.
>
>I think I was a lurker during the Golden Age. It was still tech-y and
>oxbridge-y but more ppl were prepared to write sustained, lengthy arguments.

I remember it used to have more big discussions/arguments about books
and politics and stuff...

And I STILL haven't read Catch 22. I will one day... eventually.

chris

Flexiblegoat

Aug 23, 2001, 9:20:17 PM8/23/01
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:17:44 +0100, "James Gregory"
<james....@deletethis.btinternet.com> wrote:

>Anyone fancy posting some links to any really amusing posts they can find
>lying about on google?
>To start the ball rolling, here's a few (most by me, heh) about some of the
>regulars here...
>
>CD 1:
>
>Descriptions of peoples' writing style - James Gregory -
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=919ea36b1ac2ba9a,28&rnum=9
>&selm=8hrru0%243mtqf%241%40fu-berlin.de
>
>More descriptions of peoples' writing style - Flexiblegoat -
>http://groups.google.com/groups?start=10&hl=en&safe=off&th=919ea36b1ac2ba9a,
>28&rnum=16&selm=3942169c.4666873%40news.dircon.co.uk
>
>Description of a pubmeet in London - James Gregory -
>http://www.btinternet.com/~gregorywebpage/james/stuff/auapub.htm (why does
>google not seem to have this?)
>
>Urban folklore - Ginnie Redstone -
>http://www.btinternet.com/~gregorywebpage/james/stuff/engprof.htm
>
> James

I'm tempted to update my one.

paul
_

Its a buggy powered by my own sense of self-satisfaction

Josh Smith

Aug 23, 2001, 10:55:31 PM8/23/01

> "Josh Smith" <jo...@journalism.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Mark Thakkar" <mark.t...@balliol.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > > Josh,

> > > Whenabouts?
> >
> > Do you remember Gerald Chappell?
>
> He was right about most stuff. Your challenge, should you choose to accept
> it, prove me wrong :).

Well, he had quite an original view on things. I seem to remember leaping to
his defence as you have now, since his opinions were somewhat controversial
but well reasoned.

> A link to his posts:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=alt.uk.a-levels&as_uauthors=Gerald
%20Chappell

> Pete
>
> p.s. Whilst exploring this link I found an early James Gregory post
opining
> that AUA was going downhill: 2nd June 2000 (message 6 in the Last Ever
Post
> thread) Was it the first? :).

Er. No. It has actually improved a little since then ;-p

Josh

Mark Thakkar

Aug 24, 2001, 2:21:57 AM8/24/01
Paul,

>> More descriptions of peoples' writing style - Flexiblegoat -
>

> I'm tempted to update my one.

Go for it - a bit of controversy never went amiss.

Mark.

Imran

Aug 24, 2001, 4:35:30 AM8/24/01
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:41:31 +0100, Chris Share
<ch...@caesium.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:49:12 +0100, Imran(Imr...@btinternet.com)
>said....
>>On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:35:13 +0100, Alex Warren
>><al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Continuing the Google trawl of "what threads other people start outside AUA":
>>>

>>Incidently Google won't sure more then the first 1000 posts, so those
>>of us here with 1000+ posts are mostly safe.
>
>Not to anyone with an armed and ready google advanced groups
>search... filter by date.

Yep, your right, I thought they were running the same software
backend as deja but apparently they aren't.

>Can get your earliest, posts, if they're archived.

A lot(about 4k) of my early posts were to btinternet.* internal
newsgroups so I doubt anyone except BTinternet has an archive.

Imran

Matthew M. Huntbach

Aug 24, 2001, 5:29:39 AM8/24/01
Pete Bartlett (pc...@yahoo.com) wrote:

> JHP: Says "LOL!" to anything even vaguley humorous. Also seems to have an
> endless supply of minor witticsisms of his own.

Goes with the job. Being a teacher means you can use the same witticisms
every year. I only have two, though, and I have forgotten what they are,
but I will remember when the appropriate point comes up in my course.

Matthew Huntbach

Matthew M. Huntbach

Aug 24, 2001, 5:57:06 AM8/24/01
Josh Smith (jo...@journalism.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> "Pete Bartlett" <pc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+-Re:+author:matthew+author:huntbach&hl=en
> >
> &safe=off&as_drrb=b&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=8&a
> > s_maxy=1998&rnum=2&selm=6g01a5%24m5t%241%40beta.qmw.ac.uk

> Incidentally MMH's post seemed a very reasonable appraisal of the problems
> of Northern Ireland.

Yes, I used to post a lot of reasonable stuff to soc.culture.irish, and
was generally abused as some sort of raving British imperialist in
response. Mostly by Americans who thought they were Irish because their
great-great-grandfather came from Ireland, but also by a strange chap
called Greig Carlin (who also uses an awful lot of psuedonyms) who to
this day sometimes tracks me down to abuse me. He turned up once in AUA
to abuse me.

Matthew Huntbach

Simon Pearson

Aug 24, 2001, 6:16:31 AM8/24/01
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:16:41 +0100, "Becca Taylor"
<bec...@no.yahoo.spam.com> of blathered on about:

>-------------
>>|Flexiblegoat|
>>-------------
>>Becca: welsh, rarely sober.
>>

>Is that what you think of me? Funny - everyone who meets me says 'you
>haven't got a welsh accent' and immediately writes me off as non-welsh, and
>lots of people think I'm a real alcoholic! :)

hah, everyone I meet is really disappointed that I don't sound all
pobl y cwm. it must be a wrexham-ish thing.

Simon
--
mail:: simon at fneh dot net
web:: http://simon.fneh.net

Matthew M. Huntbach

Aug 24, 2001, 6:05:14 AM8/24/01
Pete Bartlett (pc...@yahoo.com) wrote:
> "Josh Smith" <jo...@journalism.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Incidentally MMH's post seemed a very reasonable appraisal of the
>> problems of Northern Ireland.

> Yes the British Government /now/ has, or at least appears to those of us
> who have nothing to do with the island of Ireland, a sensible and obvious
> policy towards NI and has done since the AI agreement of 1985. Us
> youngsters tend to be at a loss as to what all the fuss is about - not
> being around to witness the actions of the British Governments of the 70s
> and before. People who were directly affected don't forget that easily

You do mean the 1670s, don't you?

Matthew Huntbach

Simon Pearson

Aug 24, 2001, 6:27:17 AM8/24/01
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:40:23 +0100, "Becca Taylor"

<bec...@no.yahoo.spam.com> of blathered on about:

>>> alt.fan.michaela.strachan? Honestly!
>>>

>>Interesting selection of groups...
>

>That was after my Strachan sighting at Birmingham New Street!

ooo! if only i'd known about that newsgroup before! i saw her in
cambridge last year and shouted to her :P

also: i resent being misrepresented as a one-sided alcoholic who does
nothing but get drunk in llangollen. but seeing as it is largely true,
i suppose there's not much i can do about it. grr.

Alex Warren

Aug 24, 2001, 12:01:10 PM8/24/01
Imran wrote:

> >Can get your earliest, posts, if they're archived.
>
> A lot(about 4k) of my early posts were to btinternet.* internal
> newsgroups so I doubt anyone except BTinternet has an archive.

Well, thank god nobody has the slightest interest in reading them, eh.

Alex

--
OneBollock.com - Unusual, or the average? http://www.onebollock.com/

Imran

Aug 24, 2001, 1:01:04 PM8/24/01
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:01:10 +0100, Alex Warren
<al...@asparagus.co.uk> wrote:

>Imran wrote:
>
>> >Can get your earliest, posts, if they're archived.
>>
>> A lot(about 4k) of my early posts were to btinternet.* internal
>> newsgroups so I doubt anyone except BTinternet has an archive.
>
>Well, thank god nobody has the slightest interest in reading them, eh.

Depends on your point of view, most of the messages would only be
temporarily useful. But the amount of computer-problem posts on
usenet prove very useful when searching for other people who have had
the same problem as you and may have found a solution. It's a shame
that a lot of ISP/uni/org internal newsgroups aren't publically
archived so a lot of useful posts get lost.

Niall Saville

Aug 24, 2001, 1:15:44 PM8/24/01