Object sighted over Rockhampton, AUST

Leo Freeman

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

Hi all,
Last Sunday evening (13 April) at about 7-00pm, I saw <something> in the
sky over Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia.
It was a faint patch of light, which appeared about the size and brightness
of the Large Magellanic Cloud.
The sky was dark and starry and it was calm.
I noticed it first when it was almost overhead, and it moved silently
towards the SouthEast, about as fast as a high-flying jet, gradually
getting fainter until it just faded away some 20 seconds later when it was
about at 45 degrees above the horizon.

Unfortunately, I did not have my glasses on at the time, so I couldn't see
it in sharp detail, but from my experience as an amateur astronomer, I am
certain it was not -
- an aeroplane (they have flashing lights and make a noise if overhead)
- a satellite (these look like stars whereas the object I saw was a blur of
light)
- a balloon ( it was travelling too fast, and the night was very calm)
- a cloud! (again, too fast)
- flying foxes (a sort of large bat-like creature) (these look very black
against the night sky, and fly very fast.)

I did not see it eclipse any stars so I couldn't judge its solidity.
It <may> have been a really large flock of birds very high up, dimly lit by
the lights of the town below, but I doubt it, since the blob of light
seemed too uniform, and was going rather too fast.
And I've never seen anything like it before in the 20 years I've been
looking at the night sky in this area.
Has anyone else seen anything similar?

Regards,

Leo