UFC's Dana White rips 'woke' professional sports: 'If you want to listen to that stuff', change the channel

hamilton

Apr 27, 2021, 2:43:24 AM4/27/21
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White told
"Hannity" on Monday that he strives to keep his sport free of
politics for the enjoyment of the fans and athletes alike.

Host Sean Hannity noted that leagues like the NBA and NFL have
seen their ratings crater as many of their headlining athletes
like L.A. Lakers forward LeBron James and former San Francisco
49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick have ushered in a politically
charged era for America's pastimes.

"You look at the ratings of the finals in the NBA: 5.6 million
viewers is a disaster... you look at what happened in Georgia
with [MLB] when they had far more accessible voting laws than
Joe Biden's state of Delaware," Hannity said. "If you look
around the stadium, I don't care what the sport is, I see people
of all backgrounds, all races, all coming together because they
love and have to share a passion for that sport, right?"

Tucker slams outdoor mask mandates, questions justificationVideo
White replied that most people who are regular fans of
professional sports aren't fans because of the politics:

"They don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear what your
opinions are or who you're voting for what you're doing, they
want to get away from everything in their life and they want to
focus on two, three, four hours however long the sport is when
you turned it on."

"[At UFC] we never talked about COVID or politics."

At the same time, White said his athletes and staff are free to
express themselves during press conferences and such, as is
their right.

OSCARS RATINGS PLUMMET TO RECORD LOW

"We don't muzzle anybody but we keep politics out of the sport.
If you want to listen to that stuff, turn on any other station,
you will hear all of that stuff you want to hear. When you tune
into UFC, you are there to see fights."

White also responded to his critics in the media, including the
Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper in his sport's home state of
Nevada, which appeared to criticize him for holding in-person
sporting events with a disclaimer indemnifying UFC against suits
from people who may catch COVID while in attendance.

On "Hannity," White praised Jacksonville, Fla., Mayor Leonard
Curry and Gov. Ron DeSantis for working with UFC to create a
safe environment for fight matchups during COVID.

The Review-Journal criticized a recent event that was held in
Jacksonville, but which featured a disclaimer that COVID "may
result in severe and permanent damage to the health of the
[ticket] holder."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In response, White had told the outlet to "go f--- yourself" and
called the Las Vegas paper a "piece of s---", further advising
their reporters not to attend an upcoming July fight featuring
Irish martial artist Conor McGregor.

White said he takes coronavirus seriously, and that he has made
sure to keep his employees and athletes safe by going as far as
to contact the Emirati Royal Family to create "Fight Island" in
Abu Dhabi last year -- as a neutral, sterile place to hold
events.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ufcs-dana-white-rips-woke-