The Bitter Suite -- Hearts Are Hurting Lyrics

daviderl666

Nov 25, 2021, 7:18:24 AM11/25/21
One of the 'big' songs in Bitter Suite was when X&G are in the Hall
of Echoes (or whatever it was called) and they begin singing, blaming the
other for the events of the previous episodes. And I think three of the
words should have been different.
First the song --

https://www.lyricsmania.com/hearts_are_hurting_lyrics_xena_musical_-_bitter_suite.html

Hearts Are Hurting

Xena
My heart is hurting beyond words.
The pain is tearing up my soul.
These days have seen my spirits die,
My life propelled out of control.
My wounds lie naked to the world,
My depth of suffering exposed.
This damaged past can never heal
Until this nightmare book is closed.

Gabrielle
My heart is hurting beyond words.
The pain is tearing up my soul.
Please tell me how can I retrieve
the life that all this sadness stole.
Because of you this happened,
Because you had to carry out
your vengeful little plans.

Xena
It's you who should feel guilty!
Because of you my child is dead,
His blood is on your hands.

Gabrielle
If only you had never brought me there.

Xena
If only you had done what you were told.

Xena
And you should be ashamed!

Gabrielle
It's your fault!

Xena
No it's yours!

Gabrielle
How could you !?

Xena
How could YOU !?

The first line I have a problem with is Xena's, ''This damaged
past can never heal / Until this nightmare book is closed."
Since they used scrolls, why 'nightmare book'? Why shouldn't it be
something like, 'Until this nightmare door is closed?

The second one is Gabrielle's "If only you had never brought me
there."
Wouldn't, 'If only you never took me there" have sounded
better? Less grammatically wrong?

The third, which isn't that bad, was when Xena sung, "Because of
you, my child is dead."
Why didn't she sing "my son is dead''? That would have
sounded like a more natural thing to say.

Maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but I think those three changes would
have made the some of the song not quite so awkward sounding.

David