Fan Fiction

RL

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
I like to read fanfiction and up to now my main source of what to read was
Lunacy's reviews. Now, she is retiring, disillusioned by the ways of the
fourth season, (what is it with 4th season that makes the old fans so
unhappy? - where I live it is not being aired yet). Anyway, I feel kinda
orphan - How am I gonna find those terrific stories?
So, I decided to delurk and ask around: if you do read fanfic, what stories
would make to your top ten list?
Here is mine:

A Story of Magic - CL Bactad
Lao Ma's Kiss - Elaine Sutherland
Lilla's Little Adventure - Charmer
Lucifer Rising - Sharon Bowers
Sandor - Palomine
Seven Days in Pompeii - DJWP
The Child - Word Warrior
The Huns - Eimajj
The Storyteller - Katrina
The White Trash Trilogy - Vivian Darkbloom
Tropical Storm - Melissa Good
Wedding Night - Catherine M Wilson
When Xena Came to Town - Word Warrior
Woman in Prison - Elaine Sutherland

Oh, well, I know my top 10 is a top 14, but I like these all very very much

RL

rock_doctor

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99

How am I gonna find those terrific stories?
>So, I decided to delurk and ask around: if you do read fanfic, what stories
>would make to your top ten list?

Unfortunately I have read thousands of stories and cannot really suggest
and particular one, but if you look at the writers I have listed below you
cannot go wrong. There are many other good writers that are not listed
mostly because I am into Janice and Mel and ALT stories. I have taken Xena
fanfic all over the US, Canada and into South America, they are very
enjoyable in any setting. Trust me I was on a ship that was sinking 100
miles off the coast of Panama and the story still held my attention (The
Further Adventures of Janice & Mel:The Gabrielle Stele & The Further
Adventures of Janice and Mel: The Xena Kore - both By Wishes). Anyway, I
have listed below all of the writers that I can think of off hand. Grab any
Janice and Mel or a story from any writer listed below you can't go wrong.
Some listed below do not do J & M but do very excellent alt pieces that are
in short story form and long novel form. There are many more that I have
not listed but only because I have not worked my way around to them yet....
Hope this helps some and my thanks to Artemis for turning me onto J & M you
hold my gratitude. :-)

All:
Melissa Good
L.N. James (loved Chicago at 5 a.m.!)
Rachel Staples (Rachel2)
Della Street
Elaine Sutherland
Wishes
Themiscrya
Zealander1
Cousin Liz
Jamie Boughen
Domenica

Mark m. {cross posted to xena, creative and subtext-misc. as was the
original post}

SherrieB

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
RL wrote in message <7i6h62$19...@enews2.newsguy.com>...
<snip>

>So, I decided to delurk and ask around: if you do read fanfic, what stories
>would make to your top ten list?

1. "A Queen's Sacrifice" by BL Miller
2. "Raising Melosa Series" by T. Novan
3. "About Artemis" by BL Miller
4. "Choices in Life" by Jamie Boughen
5. "Aftermath: The Tree of Life" by XWP Fanatic
6. "Negotiations" (and the sequels) by Gin
7. "Mothers" by BL Miller
8. "The Silent Bard" by BL Miller
9. "We Never Say Goodbye" by T. Novan
10. "Resistance" by Della Street

SherrieB (GGGHD Recruit)
http://xenarulz.simplenet.com
Video Clips - Wallpapers - Image Archive
http://hollywoodcentral.simplenet.com
No dancing Gabrielles were harmed during the posting of
this message. However, they may have been drooled upon.

Katy Litter

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
On Sat, 22 May 1999 12:06:20 -0300, "RL" <ri...@openlink.com.br> wrote:

> if you do read fanfic, what stories
>would make to your top ten list?

My absolute favorite is "Surfacing" by Paul Seely and Jennifer Garza.
The quality of writing in this story far surpasses anything else I
have come across in Xena-fanfictionland. "Surfacing" was so powerful
and emotionally-exhausting that I can't bring myself to read the
sequel - yet. The portrayal of Xena's uber-self as being so very dark
and yet vulnerable and pure nearly broke my heart. This story was
quite the trip.

I haven't read enough fanfiction that I ~really~ liked to fill a
top-ten list but I do have a few more:
Chicago 5AM - LN James
Aftermath-The Tree of Life - XWP Fanatic
Just Another Dead Warlord - WordWarrior

My leanings are generally toward uber-alternative fiction.

>Here is mine:
>
>A Story of Magic - CL Bactad
>Lao Ma's Kiss - Elaine Sutherland
>Lilla's Little Adventure - Charmer
>Lucifer Rising - Sharon Bowers
>Sandor - Palomine
>Seven Days in Pompeii - DJWP
>The Child - Word Warrior
>The Huns - Eimajj
>The Storyteller - Katrina
>The White Trash Trilogy - Vivian Darkbloom
>Tropical Storm - Melissa Good
>Wedding Night - Catherine M Wilson
>When Xena Came to Town - Word Warrior
>Woman in Prison - Elaine Sutherland
>
>Oh, well, I know my top 10 is a top 14, but I like these all very very much
>
>RL

-----
Please clean the litter before replying by e-mail.

The Black Wolf

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Some are long. Some are short. All are extremely entertaining! Of course,
all are alternative/subtext, well, more like WAY alternative/maintext.
heh....

Tropical Storm - Melissa Good (uber, set in Miami! <g>)
http://www.merwolf.com/ffiction.html

The Gala - LN James (gotta read this one!)
http://xenite.simplenet.com/fanfiction/l/gala.html

The Tavernkeeper's Sister - Ella Quince
Silent Night (not a Christmas story) - Ella Quince
http://www.user.shentel.net/ccarter/quince/index.html#anchor990716

The Show - BL Miller
http://blmiller.simplenet.com/where.html

Is There A Doctor In the Dig? - Bat Morda (uber, Mel/Janice)
The Party - Bat Morda (uber, Mel/Janice - inspired by 'The Show')
http://www.obsession14.com/XenaRotica/BatMorda/bat.htm

The Tavern - Cousin Liz (warlord/slave story)
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/3905/tavern.htm

Beyond Melosa's Shadow - My Osage
http://members.aol.com/GabTBard/myosage.html

Of Amazons, Warriors and Revenge - baermer
http://www.telepath.com/baermer/otherindex.html

Her Xena - Word Warrior (expands on "Remember Nothing)
http://xenite.simplenet.com/fanfic/herxena.html

Jungle Reign - Word Warrior (interesting points drawn about S4 India ep's)
http://xenite.simplenet.com/fanfiction/j/junglereign.html

... and anything at The Amazon Ice Company <eg>
http://blmiller.simplenet.com/iceawards.html

The Black Wolf

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Correction:
The Party - Bat Morda (uber, Mel/Janice - inspired by 'The Gala' by LN
James, not 'The Show' by BL Miller) though all are entertaining
stories...

> The Gala - LN James (gotta read this one!)
> http://xenite.simplenet.com/fanfiction/l/gala.html
>

> The Party - Bat Morda (uber, Mel/Janice - inspired by 'The Show')
> http://www.obsession14.com/XenaRotica/BatMorda/bat.htm

Da Chicken Lady

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
well, it's tough to choose my favorite stories, esp. since i'm really bad at
remembering the names of individual stories. but, here are some sites i've
bookmarked and check frequently, and also some series i love. btw, lunacy is
only ending her daily reviews. she'll still have periodic updates. and, her
site is still one of the best. so, you will still be able to find great ff
there. =)

some sites:

BL Miller's (who, unfortunately, is also disillusioned and has stopped
writing xena fanfics) http://blmiller.simplenet.com/

LN James' http://www.squonk.net/users/lnjames/webdoc2.htm

8th's http://xwp-altfic.simplenet.com/list-al.htm

the ultimate xena ff directory http://www.xenafanfiction.com/

TZ's alt ff
http://www.fortunecity.com/village/villageplace/334/xwp-ff-main.html

XeanCrazed's GENERAL (yes! there are good non-alt stuff out there, folks) ff
site http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3290/general.html

Xena-Vu's http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Stage/6263/fanfic2.html

T Novan's Warlord's Lair http://www.timwellman.ramlink.net/kim/

Sapphic Voices: ff http://www.sff.net/people/SapphicVoices/SVfanfic.html

Shadowfen's index http://lonestar.texas.net/~scottd/xwpffi/fanficst.htm

Joan Leib's ff http://www.channel1.com/users/pisces/writings/xena/

WrshpXena's alt ff page http://tiggsxenapage.simplenet.com/Fanfic.html

The Amazon Ice Company (have mercy!)
http://blmiller.simplenet.com/iceawards.html

de Bonheur's http://members.aol.com/DeBonheur/index.html

Katrina's (whew!) http://bearblue.simplenet.com/xenafic.html

Cotho's Corner http://members.xoom.com/LZClotho/index.htm

Merwolf (aaarrroooooooo!) http://members.xoom.com/LZClotho/index.htm

Rhiannon Silverflame's http://silverflame.simplenet.com/

The Stronghold (wow!) http://www2.crosswinds.net/athens/~xwpfanatic/

The D.C. series (<vbeg>) http://members.aol.com/Radigund/DCP.html

Caer Llachlan (oh when will she finish Tender Is The Night ?! i'm dying
here.) http://www.merwolf.com/llachlan/

Silk's (hubba hubba) http://users.ethergate.com/silk/fanfic.html

Katelin B (the queen of smut also wrote the first xena ff story that made me
cry...actually, the first 3 times i read it, i bawled)
http://members.tripod.com/~Katelin_B/myfic.html

LynKa's http://www.lynka.simplenet.com/index.htm

Sherrie's educational reading =)
http://xenarulz.simplenet.com/fanfiction.htm

Xena ff (Tom's Xena Page. Check out The Eddies)
http://www.xenafan.com/fiction/

MaryD's The Bard's Corner (one of the best!)
http://xenite.simplenet.com/fanfic.html

The Athenaeum (improved and updated)
http://www.xenafiction.simplenet.com/index.html

Lunacy's (simply the best. ::sniff::) http://lunacy.simplenet.com/index.html

there are many more sites, of course. =) but these should be a good start.

as for authors, anything by BL Miller, Ogami, Vivian Darkbloom, LZ Clotho,
Melissa Good (Merwolf), Pink Rabbit Productions, SL Bowers, T. Novan, Silk,
Mil Toro, Catherine M. Wilson, TZ, XWP Fanatic... there are so many
wonderful bards out there sharing their talents it's absoultely wonderful!!!

Paul Hilling

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
"Ides Of March"

>RL <ri...@openlink.com.br> wrote...

>I like to read fanfiction and up to now my main source of what to read
>was Lunacy's reviews. Now, she is retiring, disillusioned by the ways of
>the fourth season, (what is it with 4th season that makes the old fans so
>unhappy?

India, Gab's 'Way Of Love', The 'visions' and actually killing Xena and
Gabrielle.

> Lilla's Little Adventure - Charmer

I heartily recommend her other stories. You can find more of her stories @
http://freespace.virgin.net/purple.logic/

There is a picture of Charmer on my website. :)
::plug, plug:: http://www.bigfoot.com/~p.hilling/xena.htm

knight-2000

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Give my Updated Page a shot of St-Xena crossover stories at:

Newer version of them
http://members.tripod.com/~k2000c/xena/page2.htm

and Main opening page at:

http://members.tripod.com/~k2000c/xena/st-xena.htm

for others that tried downloading the zipped EXE files its been fixed
I'm not certin as
to why they weren't unpacking themselfs but now they are as of
yesterday.