poll on ff.net deletions

Tycho

Apr 12, 2005, 7:36:20 AM4/12/05
Sorry for the crosspost, but in some other groups I've been watching, the
members are really getting sick of fanfiction.net deleting stories based on
a single complaint. I've decided to try and determine how widespread this is
and possibly even convince the site's owners to change their policy. Please
take part and encourage others to do so as well.

The poll can be found here:
http://www.misterpoll.com/2712932604.html

Also if you can think of any other yahoo or news groups who you think should
see this message, please let me know.

Thanks.
Tycho
tych...@bigpond.net.au
Mors Principium Est

Sharon

Apr 12, 2005, 8:23:39 AM4/12/05
Didn't even know this was happening.

--
-Sharon

Pattie

Apr 12, 2005, 5:19:54 PM4/12/05
"Sharon" <askfor...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<115nfee...@corp.supernews.com>...

> Didn't even know this was happening.

Have you asked them why they're deleting posts? Unless they're
hatemail, abuse of posting privileges or very very obscene, what would
be their reason?

I realy doubt if one or two complaints would do it.

Ha well, I find the place hard to navigate anyhow.

Pattie

Red_Scully

Apr 12, 2005, 5:44:04 PM4/12/05
what kind of complaints are we talking about here? if it's complaints about
plagiarism, and there's evidence, then one complaint seems fair to me...

xx red

"Pattie" <patf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

npa...@indiana.edu

Apr 12, 2005, 10:25:47 PM4/12/05
Tycho wrote:
> Sorry for the crosspost, but in some other groups I've been watching,
the
> members are really getting sick of fanfiction.net deleting stories
based on
> a single complaint. I've decided to try and determine how widespread
this is
> and possibly even convince the site's owners to change their policy.
Please
> take part and encourage others to do so as well.

Just how common is this problem? I haven't noticed many stories
vanishing from the parts of the site that I read.

I did send a complaint to the abuse folks there when a poster
drastically misrated a story. After I'd asked the author (in the review
section) multiple times to correct the rating (it was G, should have
been, at minimum, PG-13) and she did not, I reported her and her
account was pulled.

Yes, the writers should certainly be notified of complaints and given
the opportunity to make corrections. But writers should also be capable
to reading, and following, the TOS. If they do, there should be no
problems.

Naomi

Huntersglenn

Apr 12, 2005, 11:54:30 PM4/12/05
I really don't understand the point of your poll. If authors don't like
the TOS at ff.net, then they're free to shell out their own money for
their own websites or to find other people willing to archive their
stories (of course, then they'll find that the other archives also have
rules).

If someone has plagrized another author, or violated some copyright or
another, then the people behind ff.net can be held legally accountable.
If a story is misrated, then ff.net can be held legally accountable.
I don't have a problem with them having policies in place that, in
effect, cover their own butt(s).

Cathy

Sharon

Apr 13, 2005, 8:35:32 AM4/13/05
Cathy wrote:

> If someone has plagrized another author, or violated some copyright or
> another, then the people behind ff.net can be held legally accountable. If
> a story is misrated, then ff.net can be held legally accountable. I don't
> have a problem with them having policies in place that, in effect, cover
> their own butt(s).

I don't even know of fics over there ever being deleted. I assumed that as
long as ratings were appropriate, plagarism was avoided and lyrics
attributed to writer as well as other passages referred to in books, etc,
that all was good. What is being removed and why?

-Sharon

Tycho

Apr 15, 2005, 3:32:10 AM4/15/05
I think you'll find that most authors would agree, that these are legitimate
grievances. But, for example, when the story in question is rated R(or M for
the new ratings system) and contains a description of nudity using words no
more offensive than breast or nipple - well within the boundaries of the
guidelines - and it gets pulled. Or another similarly rated fic for using
the word 'hell'..... I think you get my point. These stories are not getting
pulled for plagiarism, breach of the guidelines or being misrated. They are
being pulled for the same reason that half the all time best seller list are
also on the most requested black list. It's censorship at its worst.

Tycho
tych...@bigpond.net.au
Mors Principium Est

"Huntersglenn" <hunter...@cox.net> wrote in message

Huntersglenn

Apr 15, 2005, 1:57:25 PM4/15/05

Tycho wrote:
> I think you'll find that most authors would agree, that these are legitimate
> grievances. But, for example, when the story in question is rated R(or M for
> the new ratings system) and contains a description of nudity using words no
> more offensive than breast or nipple - well within the boundaries of the
> guidelines - and it gets pulled. Or another similarly rated fic for using
> the word 'hell'..... I think you get my point. These stories are not getting
> pulled for plagiarism, breach of the guidelines or being misrated. They are
> being pulled for the same reason that half the all time best seller list are
> also on the most requested black list. It's censorship at its worst.
>
> Tycho
> tych...@bigpond.net.au
> Mors Principium Est

Which authors have grievances against ff.net? You've offered vague
examples, but nothing concrete. There have been no listings of stories
that have been pulled for those reasons. It seems to me that you and
possibly others are getting confused between censorship and a PRIVATE
company/group exercising their rights to do what's best for their
concern. Not every letter submitted to a newspaper or magazine will be
published. Not every article submitted to a magazine will be published.
Why? Because the editors and publishers will look out for the best
interest of the magazine or newspaper in general, and if a letter or
article doesn't meet their requirements or guidelines, then they won't
publish it. It's not censorship, and it's not a free speech issue.
It's a money and responsibility issue. Fanfiction.net is not the only
archive out there who has rules and guidelines regarding stories, nor
are they the only one who will turn down stories. They are not required
to host anything by anyone. Fanfiction.net is privately owned and is
not a government run or sponsored entitity, and therefore CAN censor
anything submitted if they wish to.

If you don't like the way ff.net does business, then either get your own
website or take your stories to another archive. Boycotting a business
is far more effective than polls or petitions about grievances that may
or may not have any weight to them.

Cathy

SheD...@lycos.com

Apr 16, 2005, 1:00:04 PM4/16/05
This is like when ff.n decided to remove NC-17 fanfiction and everyone
cried "freedom of speech" when that's not the case at all. It's their
site and they can do what they want. Go somewhere else if you don't
like it. I don't go there anymore considering the crap that's being
posted there now anyway.

-- me