An intrsinically hypothetical take/tale on "SYZYGY" (etc.)

Henry Lee

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Based on discussions which go back and forth regarding Syzygy
and more generally on "the relationship" view, please allow me this.

Here's what I think.

Initial conditions are set up and the first set of evolutionary paths
are followed. As elapsed time increases, external boundary conditions
are imposed and observers make their measurements. Not surprisingly,
the different ensembles of measurements by many sets of observers yield
results which agree to within a factor of a few; some might say they
the results _disagree_ by a couple orders of magnitude.

The boundary conditions which are constantly being set upon the
"path (integral)" are imposed by the Carter principle. Unfortunately,
different sets of observers have derived varying, and sometimes opposing,
equations to the Carter principle. No doubt, this causes no end of grief
to each side; frequent claims and counterclaims are argued after
each weekly observational session. Some derivations take all week and their
subsequent predictions are often soon rejected with new observations.
Issues like dark matter and the ilk are frequently left to the "real" set of
observers and theorists because they often spend much time thinking
about such lofty issues as "mass-to-light ratios", "galaxy formation," etc.
Nevertheless, the original set of observers shall no doubt set their eyes
upon their screens, looking for signs that their interpretation of
the Carterverse is correct.

Fortunately, there seems to be some kind of nebulous interaction between
the observers and the Carter. The observers argue among themselves
about which "picture" is being measured and the subsequent results derived
while, from their previous measurements, the observers attempt to extrapolate
a unified picture of the Carterverse. Meanwhile, there is no a priori
condition that any "external observers" to our own would actually communicate
their views to us, owing to our difficult and pigheaded nature. Moreover,
it is more than likely that these "external observers" gauge and interact
more directly with the Carterverse than we were originally led to believe
from our measurements. Some observers have constrained the possible set
of "external observers" to be either of the XT class or "Fox executive" class.

Some doubt has been cast whether or not observers will remain at their posts,
making diligent observations and careful measurements. They require some
signature that they are "on the right track." Fortunately, for either
set of observer, such signatures are annually "periodic" from which
high signal-to-noise results are obtained; the maximal number of observers
are typically found in the eleventh, second and the fifth months of the annum
in a given observing period.

Thus far, there are no direct conclusions about the Carter principle.
Do these result because observers differ so vastly in their interpretation?
Or do conclusions vary because the data is simply not being measured properly?
It is amusing that interpretation has honed itself into a fine art
on both sides of the issue but that, perhaps, the actual observing session
itself is flawed, tainted by their own flavours and preferences.
It is a common mistake : rarely anyone quotes error bars.

To summarize:
resulting interpretations on the Carter principle by various observers
differ by at least a factor of two. At the very worst, they differ
by a change in sign while some radicals believe a few dex in magnitudes
are the difference. There is hope expressed by many that continuing
observations will yield better constraints. However, it may be most
unfortunate that the Carter principle may be constrained only with data
which come from the final observing session. We wish to point out that,
while this may indeed be the case, the Carter principle is invariably set
by the Carter himself or more subtly by the universal force called "ratings".

:-)=
--
Henry Lee E-mail: l...@aries.phys.yorku.ca
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy URL: http://www.astro.yorku.ca/~lee/home.html