OT: OK all you math experts: HELP!

1 view

TrueBlueStef

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
All right all you newsgroupers who enjoy reading calculus in your free time
(Sean, this means you) I was e-mailed a joke the other day, and I guess I
must be one of the mathmatically challenged people they were apologizing to
at the beginning of the joke, because I don't get it. Explain why this is
funny if you can.

> Apologies to the mathematically challenged...
>
> Two mathematicians were having dinner in a restaurant, arguing about the
> average mathematical knowledge of the American public. One mathematician
> claimed that it was woefully inadequate, the other maintained that it
> was quite sufficient.
>
> "I'll tell you what," said the cynic, "ask that waitress a simple math
> question. If she gets it right, I'll pick up dinner. If not, you do." He
> then excused himself to visit the men's room, and the other called the
> waitress over.
>
> "When my friend comes back," he told her, "I'm going to ask you a
> question, and I want you to respond `one third x cubed.' There's a
> twenty dollar tip in it for you. Got it?" She agreed.
>
> The cynic returned from the bathroom and called the waitress over. "The
> food was wonderful, thank you," the mathematician stated. At that point
> his partner smoothly picked up the ball and asked her, "Incidentally, do
> you know what the integral of x squared is?"
>
> The waitress stared at him for a moment, and said, "Um, one third x
> cubed?"
>
> The astonished cynic paid the check. The waitress turned to walk toward
> the kitchen, then looked back over her shoulder and added, "...plus a
> constant."

Oh, and by the way, in order to make this meet Laura Cap's challenge of
connecting all off topic threads to the X-Files, Scully would probably have
gotten this joke, seeing as how she majored in physics, which you need to
know a lot of math for to excel in it. Close enough?

TrueBlueStef
X~*~X~*~X~*~X
X-Files Whore #55
Xeminar: Class of '99

D.G. Porter

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
It isn't a math joke. It's more a joke about someone being that good at
math having to wait tables. The punch line is she knew the answer w/o
being told.

budai

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
The joke is that they were assuming that the waitress did not know anything
about math. However the answer the mathametician told the waitress was not
entirely correct. Whenever you try to find an integral without definite
limits, you must always add a constant to the final answer.
Yours truly
the math nerd

Heike & Malte

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

Actually, the waitress knows the correct answer by herself: when doing the
integral you always have to add the costant (c), coz it doesn´t get
multiplet by X and falls away that way...

Sorry, this a bit hard on english:)..

Sean Carroll

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

ROTFLMAO!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA ...

Okay, this is funny because any time you integrate a function,
technically, your answer should have "plus a constant" on the end; it's
the constant of integration, called C. It would definitely take someone
who knows their calculus quite well to know that the integral of x^2
would be 1/3 x^3 *+ C* and not simply 1/3 x^3. Therefore, the guy
totally wasted his money when he bribed a waitress who already knew math
and told her the answer beforehand.

> Oh, and by the way, in order to make this meet Laura Cap's challenge of
> connecting all off topic threads to the X-Files, Scully would probably have
> gotten this joke, seeing as how she majored in physics, which you need to
> know a lot of math for to excel in it. Close enough?

Sure. I'll just leave that in so it's still on-topic.

--
--Sean
http://freecenter.digiweb.com/science_fiction/Pendrell_Jr/index.html

Sean Carroll

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
JazzieBee wrote:

> Oh, and if you have any science and
> philosophy jokes, send them my way too. I have a thing for philosophy
> jokes. Yeah, I'm sad.

I think not.

*POOF*

.

.

.

Physics Boy

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99

Okay, you've gotten me started on math jokes.

First, the ones that don't need a lot of mathematical background:

THE FIRST LAW OF MATHEMATICS: The answer has to look right.

There are three kinds of mathematicians;
those who can count, and those who can't.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
reality."
-- Albert Einstein

And now the ones that require some mathematical knowledge:

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

Given the appropriate coordinate transformation,
is it possible to turn a polar bear into a rectangular bear?

I've got more, but I'm too lazy to type them out. E-mail me if you
want them.

- Physics Boy

http://www.ualberta.ca/~wdowler
ICQ# 24893016 (now with pic!)
XFW# 299792458, WM, S'sW, GMW

Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how great your
triumphs or how tragic your defeats---approximately one billion
Chinese couldn't care less.

JazzieBee

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Physics Boy wrote:

> I've got more, but I'm too lazy to type them out. E-mail me if you
> want them.

I laughed. Yes...I can't believe it, but I actually laughed at those
jokes, so e-mail me some more. Oh, and if you have any science and

philosophy jokes, send them my way too. I have a thing for philosophy
jokes. Yeah, I'm sad.

Jasmin

CrazyC9680

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99

No you're not. Philosophy can be hilarious.

Please email some to me too.

--------------------
Crazy Chick
--------------------
XFW#42, WotF Mistress
SMUTster #447612, Keeper of the Guide ::Bring it on::
"When life gives you lemons, THROW THEM! HARD!"

JazzieBee

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
CrazyC9680 wrote:

> No you're not. Philosophy can be hilarious.
>
> Please email some to me too.

OK, really cheezy Philosophy joke:

Two naked philosophers were sitting on the porch reading. One of the
philosophers turned to the other and asked; "Have you read Marx?"
The second philosopher answers: "Yeah, these cane chairs are killing
me."

Care for another?

Descartes walks into a pub and the barman says: "Do you want a drink?"
He answers "I think not" and disappears.

Jasmin (I told you they were cheezy!)

CrazyC9680

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
>OK, really cheezy Philosophy joke:
>
>Two naked philosophers were sitting on the porch reading. One of the
>philosophers turned to the other and asked; "Have you read Marx?"
>The second philosopher answers: "Yeah, these cane chairs are killing
>me."
>
>Care for another?
>
>Descartes walks into a pub and the barman says: "Do you want a drink?"
>He answers "I think not" and disappears.

LOL! Cheesy, but funny.

Sean Carroll

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Marita1121 wrote:

> Physics Boy wrote:
> >Given the appropriate coordinate transformation,
> >is it possible to turn a polar bear into a rectangular bear?
>
> i love this one. :D

The real question is, since the "polar" bear is 3-dimensional, is it
really a *spherical* bear, or a *cylindrical* bear?

--
--Sean, who just made a joke to someone in private e-mail involving the
phrase "product-of-2-binomials-ed again!"

http://freecenter.digiweb.com/science_fiction/Pendrell_Jr/index.html
"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature. Only in contradiction to
what we know of it." --Dana Scully

Marita1121

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Physics Boy wrote:
>Given the appropriate coordinate transformation,
>is it possible to turn a polar bear into a rectangular bear?

i love this one. :D

-------
Marita
-------
XFW/W #23; OBSSE; Peep Abstinent; icq #31060591
http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/palms/6683/
"Give 'em hell and bananas." -- Ralph Ellison

Chris 'Coz' Costello

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
CrazyC9680 <crazy...@aol.com> had this to say:

>No you're not. Philosophy can be hilarious.

Sometimes even moreso than *jokes* about philosophy.

Later,
COZ

NP: Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins, _Sluggo!_

--
Chris 'Coz' Costello | http://www.enteract.com/~coz/ | c...@enteract.com

"H I P N E S S I S T R A N S I E N T...you've got to change
in order to be continually hip." - Vinnie Colaiuta

Sean Carroll

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Chris 'Coz' Costello wrote:

> CrazyC9680 <crazy...@aol.com> had this to say:
> >No you're not. Philosophy can be hilarious.
>
> Sometimes even moreso than *jokes* about philosophy.

"There is nothing so ridiculous but some philosopher has said it."
--Cicero

--
--Sean, a philosopher who has said most of those ridiculous things ...

Mopsee

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
JazzieBee <ngu...@q-net.net.au> wrote:

> Descartes walks into a pub and the barman says: "Do you want a drink?"
> He answers "I think not" and disappears.

Woohoo! Taking his ridiculous Dualistic notions with him, one would
hope.

Mopsee~~
--
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/2361/Eliana.html
LLL Livin' la vida loca!---SMUTster #13 ::Bring it on!::

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sean Carroll

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Mopsee wrote:

> JazzieBee <ngu...@q-net.net.au> wrote:
>

> > Descartes walks into a pub and the barman says: "Do you want a drink?"
> > He answers "I think not" and disappears.
> >

> Woohoo! Taking his ridiculous Dualistic notions with him, one would
> hope.

Now, now ... he may not have been perfect, but we *do* owe analytical
geometry, the most powerful tool in all of mathematics, to Descartes.

:P

--
--Sean

Adhokk7

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Sean Carroll <se...@kua.net> wrote:

>Mopsee wrote:
>>
>> JazzieBee <ngu...@q-net.net.au> wrote:
>>

>> > Descartes walks into a pub and the barman says: "Do you want a drink?"
>> > He answers "I think not" and disappears.
>> >

>> Woohoo! Taking his ridiculous Dualistic notions with him, one would
>> hope.
>
>Now, now ... he may not have been perfect, but we *do* owe analytical
>geometry, the most powerful tool in all of mathematics, to Descartes.

and we have that *fabulous* joke!

--meet the new boss same as the old boss--

tester...@my-deja.com

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
In article <u5TaI9tp#GA.244@cpmsnbbsa03>,
"TrueBlueStef" <true_...@email.msn.com> wrote:
> snip

Ok - here are 2 bad math jokes (as told by my 10th grade plane and solid
geometry teacher):

Q: What do you call a container for plants hanging from the ceiling?

A: Hypotenuse.

Q: What do you call a man who lays out on the beach all summer?

A: Tangent.

BTW - has anybody here read the periodical "The Journal of
Irreproducible Results"? It's obscure but is just up the alley for high
brow jokes...

--
Guy Jackson
Xeminar Class of '99

Mopsee

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
adh...@aol.com (Adhokk7) wrote:
> Sean Carroll <se...@kua.net> wrote:

> >Mopsee wrote:

<snippetydooda>

> >> Woohoo! Taking his ridiculous Dualistic notions with him, one
would
> >> hope.
> >
> >Now, now ... he may not have been perfect, but we *do* owe analytical
> >geometry, the most powerful tool in all of mathematics, to Descartes.
>
> and we have that *fabulous* joke!

Yes, I agree: Cartesian Dualism is quite a fabulous joke. :)

Mopsee~~
--
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/2361/Eliana.html
LLL Livin' la vida loca!---SMUTster #13 ::Bring it on!::

Meg, the pasty paste eating diva.

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Eh, wot? Indeed! On Sat, 29 May 1999 01:02:05 GMT,
tester...@my-deja.com said:

>Ok - here are 2 bad math jokes (as told by my 10th grade plane and solid
>geometry teacher):

<snippage>

Ugh. My Chem teacher hangs a new riddle on the wall every week. I
can't remember most of them, although I do remember...

Q: What element did Mr. and Mrs. Claus name their son after?
A: Arsenic

I am not who I am-
Meg
--
"Hi, cutie..."
http://pine-scented.com/snerk/

Marita1121

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Sean Carroll wrote:

>Marita1121 wrote:
>>
>> Physics Boy wrote:
>> >Given the appropriate coordinate transformation,
>> >is it possible to turn a polar bear into a rectangular bear?
>>
>> i love this one. :D
>
>The real question is, since the "polar" bear is 3-dimensional, is it
>really a *spherical* bear, or a *cylindrical* bear?

intriguing question. i think i'm going to have to go with spherical because i
don't think of a 3-D circle as being a cylinder. of course, maybe the bear
stays 3-D but the plane is still a plane, so it can see everything through the
2-D people, just like the 4-D people do to us!!!!!

you'll have to excuse her.

Physics Boy

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99

>Now, now ... he may not have been perfect, but we *do* owe analytical
>geometry, the most powerful tool in all of mathematics, to Descartes.

Most powerful? I don't know...

(You'd be amazed by what I've done with division by zero...)

- Physics Boy

http://www.ualberta.ca/~wdowler
ICQ# 24893016 (now with pic!)
XFW# 299792458, WM, S'sW, GMW

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible he is almost certainly right. When he states that something
is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
-- Clarke's 1st Law

laura capozzola

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Sean Carroll wrote:

> > Woohoo! Taking his ridiculous Dualistic notions with him, one would
> > hope.
>

> Now, now ... he may not have been perfect, but we *do* owe analytical
> geometry, the most powerful tool in all of mathematics, to Descartes.

You know, geometry is the math that I learned in school that is least
useful to me in Real Life but I can tell you, and I never dreamed this
when I took math classes in college and high school, that I use algebra
skills almost every day of my work and social life and statistics,
because of my profession (and because I'm a numbers junkie and I need
proof dagnabit when I read magazines and the newspaper), almost just as
often. Who would of thunk it when I was just a young lass and hated
math class?

The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D

Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
paid off for you eventually? And please, anyone who actually uses
geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.

Laura
#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#
The truth...the truth...there is no truth.
These men just make it up as the go along.
- Alex Krycek (Tunguska) -
#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#

Physics Boy

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99

>[snip] And please, anyone who actually uses

>geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.

I do. It helps set up a lot of problems, and can be used to simplify
a lot of physics problems. (And you know tensors and linear algebra,
you don't even need to draw the diagrams...)

- Physics Boy

http://www.ualberta.ca/~wdowler
ICQ# 24893016 (now with pic!)
XFW# 299792458, WM, S'sW, GMW

One on-topic post a day keeps the moderator at bay.

D.G. Porter

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
laura capozzola wrote:

> Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
> paid off for you eventually? And please, anyone who actually uses

> geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.

Well, I got back into music in high school, and then decided to give up
trying to major in science in college when the algebra got too much to
take and they expected me to get through calculus too, but I've put them
together as a musicologist. Matter of fact I'm going to give 6 talks to
a local jr. high next week as part of their "career day" (or should it
bne "ca-rear day"?), telling them all about how rich I'm not having
specialized in an obscure field.

laura capozzola

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Physics Boy wrote:

> >[snip] And please, anyone who actually uses

> >geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.
>
> I do. It helps set up a lot of problems, and can be used to simplify
> a lot of physics problems. (And you know tensors and linear algebra,
> you don't even need to draw the diagrams...)
>
> - Physics Boy

No. Not school/college. Real life. When you become Physics Old Guy
With Nobel Prize For Solving Life's Problems & Who Used To Post To ATXF
do you think you will still use geometry if you don't teach?

Laura
"Mr. President, Mr. President the solution is right here with this
parabola!"

laura capozzola

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Kode wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 1999 12:44:32 -0400, laura capozzola
> <laur...@erols.com> wrote:
>

> >>You know, geometry is the math that I learned in school that is least
> >>useful to me in Real Life but I can tell you, and I never dreamed this
> >>when I took math classes in college and high school, that I use algebra
> >>skills almost every day of my work and social life and statistics,
> >>because of my profession (and because I'm a numbers junkie and I need
> >>proof dagnabit when I read magazines and the newspaper), almost just as
> >>often. Who would of thunk it when I was just a young lass and hated
> >>math class?
> >>
> >>The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D
> >>
> >>Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
> >>paid off for you eventually? And please, anyone who actually uses

> >>geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.
> >>
> Geometry is a valuable tool. Imagine what life would be like
> without someone trying to sell you a Refrigerator w/6.5 cubic feet of
> storage space..They would end up saying something like "This here
> 'ol 'frig is big enough that it'll hold 5 six pack's o' brew, and your
> Aunt Edna's frozen cat.."

> Dave

Well see, as long as they don't drag out the fridge and plot the six
pack space on a graph...they're alright. ;-D

Laura

Physics Boy

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

>No. Not school/college. Real life. When you become Physics Old Guy
>With Nobel Prize For Solving Life's Problems & Who Used To Post To ATXF
>do you think you will still use geometry if you don't teach?

I'll be working on particle detectors (as I will be for my Masters,
starting with my summer job!) These use a lot of geometry setting
things up. In a fixed target experiment, you want to make sure you
catch all the particles flying out. You have to do the geometry of
these particles in space that appears curved (due to relativistic
effects and magnetic fields). So yes, I will be using geometry.
However, I do not pretend that my career is in any way representative
of the general populous. I've gotten used to being the exception.

- Physics Boy

http://www.ualberta.ca/~wdowler
ICQ# 24893016 (now with pic!)
XFW# 299792458, WM, S'sW, GMW

VerlindaH

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
>Subject: Re: OT: OK all you math experts: HELP!
>From: laura capozzola <laur...@erols.com>

>Sean Carroll wrote:
>

>> > Woohoo! Taking his ridiculous Dualistic notions with him, one would
>> > hope.

>> Now, now ... he may not have been perfect, but we *do* owe analytical
>> geometry, the most powerful tool in all of mathematics, to Descartes.
>

>You know, geometry is the math that I learned in school that is least
>useful to me in Real Life but I can tell you, and I never dreamed this
>when I took math classes in college and high school, that I use algebra
>skills almost every day of my work and social life and statistics,
>because of my profession (and because I'm a numbers junkie and I need
>proof dagnabit when I read magazines and the newspaper), almost just as
>often. Who would of thunk it when I was just a young lass and hated
>math class?
>
>The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D
>
>Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
>paid off for you eventually? And please, anyone who actually uses
>geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.
>

>Laura
>#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#
>The truth...the truth...there is no truth.
>These men just make it up as the go along.
> - Alex Krycek (Tunguska) -
>#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#***#

OK, Laura--coming straight to you as fast as these geriatric fingers can type:

English (the grammar part--being able to write a basic business letter without
breaking out in a cold sweat is really nice in my job)

Psychology--important to have some understanding of others and what motivates
them when I'm interviewing--helps me make a better match between job vacancy
and job applicant

Public Speaking--invaluable for the presentations I have to make on a regular
basis.

VerlindaH (straight to you from the atxf retirement villa, where tonight was
sloppy Joe night, and tomorrow features the return of that all-time favorite,
green Jello)
XFW # 925, WotF
Xeminar, Class of '99
MBC Agent

obsidian

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hank wrote:

> 1. Geometry *is* math, and
> 3. I *loved* geometry. ;P
>
> Don't get me started on the difference between plane geometry and analytical geometry, but dammit, we *do* use them, too, you know. Furthermore, the critical thinking, logical thought, etc needed to solve the proofs in plane geometry is invaluable; I really *do* use this often. When confronted with a problem, or when trying to make a
> point, I go about it in the same way that one would prove that sides opposite a congruent angle are congruent. ;-P

What did you just say?

Sign me...Math illiterate
--
<*><*><*>obsidian<*><*><*>

"Everybody's hell is different;
it's not all fire and pain.
The real hell is your life gone wrong."

--What Dreams May Come--

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Marita1121

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
laura capozzola wrote:

>No. Not school/college. Real life

yeah, i think school's surreal myself.

Marita1121

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hank wrote:
>Rumor has it that laura capozzola put forth the following:

>>The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D
>
>1. Geometry *is* math, and
>3. I *loved* geometry. ;P

ok, i don't know if you're talking about college geometry or high school
geometry, but i know that the geometry class i took in 8th grade was pretty
cool. granted, there were only 4 people in the class and we spent half the
time watching Dr. Katz, but i thought it was interesting and fairly easy.
but then, i'm a math person.

Adora

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Kode wrote in message <375552e3.492884473@news>...

> Geometry is a valuable tool. Imagine what life would be like
>without someone trying to sell you a Refrigerator w/6.5 cubic feet of
>storage space..They would end up saying something like "This here
>'ol 'frig is big enough that it'll hold 5 six pack's o' brew, and your
>Aunt Edna's frozen cat.."

Except that the latter means a whole lot more to me than
the former. I know how big 5 six packs and one cat are.
I haven't the foggiest how big 6.5 cubic feet is.

--
Adora
Cherry Sundae

"Screw you guys. I'm goin' home."

Aubrey

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99

Marita1121 <marit...@aol.com> wrote in message

> laura capozzola wrote:
> >
> >No. Not school/college. Real life
>
> yeah, i think school's surreal myself.

You know, I *hated* maths at school. Hated it with a passion. But now I'm
not there anymore, and haven't been forced to do maths for over two years,
on the rare occasion I *do* do some challenging mental arithmetic, I
actually enjoy it. Is that weird, or what? Has anyone else found this?

~Aubrey~
Captain of the Finiship
Knows she's bizarre...

laura capozzola

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Marita1121 wrote:

> Hank wrote:
> >Rumor has it that laura capozzola put forth the following:
> >
> >>The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D
> >
> >1. Geometry *is* math, and
> >3. I *loved* geometry. ;P
>
> ok, i don't know if you're talking about college geometry or high school
> geometry, but i know that the geometry class i took in 8th grade was pretty
> cool. granted, there were only 4 people in the class and we spent half the
> time watching Dr. Katz, but i thought it was interesting and fairly easy.
> but then, i'm a math person.
>
> -------
> Marita

Ahhhhhh, but now that you are no longer in geometry, how do you use it
in Real Life? You will use algebra. You may not realize it. You may
not call it X and Y but you will use it to back into some number with
what you have.

And you need Statistics just to get to first base on Alfornos' ATXF
ratings posts. ;-D

Adhokk7

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
>Kode01@**home.com (Kode)

>On Sat, 29 May 1999 12:44:32 -0400, laura capozzola
><laur...@erols.com> wrote:
>

>>>You know, geometry is the math that I learned in school that is least
>>>useful to me in Real Life but I can tell you, and I never dreamed this
>>>when I took math classes in college and high school, that I use algebra
>>>skills almost every day of my work and social life and statistics,
>>>because of my profession (and because I'm a numbers junkie and I need
>>>proof dagnabit when I read magazines and the newspaper), almost just as
>>>often. Who would of thunk it when I was just a young lass and hated
>>>math class?
>>>

>>>The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D
>>>

>>>Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
>>>paid off for you eventually? And please, anyone who actually uses
>>>geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.
>>>

> Geometry is a valuable tool. Imagine what life would be like
>without someone trying to sell you a Refrigerator w/6.5 cubic feet of
>storage space..They would end up saying something like "This here
>'ol 'frig is big enough that it'll hold 5 six pack's o' brew, and your
>Aunt Edna's frozen cat.."

actually i would find that description much much more useful than telling me
how many cubic feet of space there is.

Alan Hurshman

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
laura capozzola <schoo...@erols.com> wrote...

> often. Who would of thunk it when I was just a young lass and hated
> math class?

You you were the model for that speaking Barbie, were you?

> The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D

Nonsense! Ever try and build a house without geometry?
Or do 3D animations? Geometry and matrces rule!!!

> Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
> paid off for you eventually?

English composition, economics - well all of them actually.
If you work doing research and development everything
ends up being of some use. You never know where you
can steal a good idea from.

Well, sociology was a complete waste of time.

> And please, anyone who actually uses
> geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in here.

ME! If you work with OpenGL or DirectX, geometry is useful.

--
Alan Hurshman
FEB, CCC, GABAL

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Alan Hurshman

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Aubrey <aubre...@hotmail.com> wrote in...

> You know, I *hated* maths at school. Hated it with a passion. But now
I'm
> not there anymore, and haven't been forced to do maths for over two years,
> on the rare occasion I *do* do some challenging mental arithmetic, I
> actually enjoy it. Is that weird, or what? Has anyone else found this?

Same here. I barely squeaked through high school math.
But was A+ at university. The difference was (a) the math
I took at university and still use today had a purpose to it
& (b) The people teaching it at university actually understood
what they were teaching and why.

laura capozzola

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Alan Hurshman wrote:

> laura capozzola <schoo...@erols.com> wrote...
> > often. Who would of thunk it when I was just a young lass and hated
> > math class?
>
> You you were the model for that speaking Barbie, were you?

Wellllllll, Speaking Ken liked me. ;-D

> > The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not geometry. ;-D
>
> Nonsense! Ever try and build a house without geometry?

AHA! There IS a place for geometry majors outside of the classroom. I
yield.

> Or do 3D animations? Geometry and matrces rule!!!

AHA part deux!

> > Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you took in school
> > paid off for you eventually?
>
> English composition, economics - well all of them actually.
> If you work doing research and development everything
> ends up being of some use. You never know where you
> can steal a good idea from.
>
> Well, sociology was a complete waste of time.

I learned how to apply statistics in Sociology and Psychology classes.
My university was heavy into applied math and science and that emphasis
filtered into the social science classes, as well. I also enjoyed
learning research techniques in Anthropology, Sociology and Psychology
which helped me to make a case for opinion papers. What I learned in
applied social science classes helps me at work now when I am trying to
make a business cases to implement recommendations as a result of
research findings. Rat lab, for one, was especially useful in
disciplining me to document and analyze and draw conclusions. That's
what I do every day even if it has nothing to do with social science or
science per se. You can learn persuasive techniques in English writing
classes, too, but I like the comfort of throwing numbers at people to go
along with the words especially when you want someone to choose your way
over someone else's way. And there are so many ways statistics can be
manipulated to "prove" your point. It's just the way you present them.

BTW, At work I don't write the way I do here on ATXF. ;-D

> ME! If you work with OpenGL or DirectX, geometry is useful.

What is that?

Alan Hurshman

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
laura capozzola <laur...@erols.com> wrote in message

> Alan Hurshman wrote:
>
> I learned how to apply statistics in Sociology and Psychology classes.

Same hear.

> Rat lab, for one, was especially useful in
> disciplining me to document and analyze and draw conclusions.

Having taught the psych departments rat lab it amazes me how
many students talk about it with pleasure years later. We forced
people to keep schedules, keep detailed records and write it all
up in the formal APA style. None of it was important to know per
se but knowing that formal methods are necessary was something
most took away from the course.

> BTW, At work I don't write the way I do here on ATXF. ;-D

What, no happy faces?????

> > ME! If you work with OpenGL or DirectX, geometry is useful.
> What is that?

The root 3D graphic interfaces used by games and animation
packages. OpenGL is from SGI and DirectX is from Microsoft.

Eric NRTJ Roberts

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
laura capozzola <laur...@erols.com> wrote in message
[snippage]

> The moral of this story is: Math is your friend...but not
geometry. ;-D

> Sooooooooo oldsters over 35, what other classes that you
took in school
> paid off for you eventually? And please, anyone who

actually uses
> geometry in real life and is not teaching math, jump in
here.

Geometry is very much essential if you want to safely
participate in the hardcore B&D scene. Er-ummm, or so I've
been told....

-----------------------------
Eric "No Relation To Julia" Roberts
B.Comm, MCP, PDQ, FEB(tm)
"Why do they call it tourist season
if we're not allowed to shoot them?"
---------------------------

Eric NRTJ Roberts

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Adora <hea...@nospam.ctaz.com> wrote in message

> Kode wrote in message <375552e3.492884473@news>...
> >
> > Geometry is a valuable tool. Imagine what life would be
like
> >without someone trying to sell you a Refrigerator w/6.5
cubic feet of
> >storage space..They would end up saying something like
"This here
> >'ol 'frig is big enough that it'll hold 5 six pack's o'
brew, and your
> >Aunt Edna's frozen cat.."
>

> Except that the latter means a whole lot more to me than
> the former. I know how big 5 six packs and one cat are.
> I haven't the foggiest how big 6.5 cubic feet is.

Think of it as 2.5 12-packs and about .5 a dog...

Sean Carroll

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hank wrote:

> Rumor has it that Marita1121 put forth the following:
>
> >well, see, i have yet to experience real life yet as i am just in 10th grade (7
> >more days...then i'll be in 11th :D). but i have found geometry somewhat
> >useful in trig this year.
>
> I rest my case. And this is why geometry is taken prior to trig.

Gee, I thought that was because geometry and algebra were the "basic"
maths and trig and calculus were the "higher" ones.

Silly me. ;Ş

--
--Sean
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/9613/
"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature. Only in contradiction to
what we know of it." --Dana Scully

Sean Carroll

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
Hank wrote:

> This was in reference to an earlier discussion I was in, when I found
> myself having to defend geometry and the order in which it is taught.

Yeah.

<blink>

Point? ;)

> So leave me alone. ;-P

Hell no. :Ş

Marita1121

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
laura capozzola wrote:
>Marita1121 wrote:

>> Hank wrote:
>> >Rumor has it that laura capozzola put forth the following:

>> >1. Geometry *is* math, and
>> >3. I *loved* geometry. ;P
>>
>> ok, i don't know if you're talking about college geometry or high school
>> geometry, but i know that the geometry class i took in 8th grade was pretty
>> cool. granted, there were only 4 people in the class and we spent half the
>> time watching Dr. Katz, but i thought it was interesting and fairly easy.
>> but then, i'm a math person.
>>
>> -------
>> Marita
>
>Ahhhhhh, but now that you are no longer in geometry, how do you use it
>in Real Life? You will use algebra. You may not realize it. You may
>not call it X and Y but you will use it to back into some number with
>what you have.

well, see, i have yet to experience real life yet as i am just in 10th grade (7

more days...then i'll be in 11th :D). but i have found geometry somewhat

useful in trig this year. well, what i remember of it. i've kinda had to
relearn some. but yeah..

Marita1121

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Hank wrote:
>This was in reference to an earlier discussion I was in, when I found
>myself having to defend geometry and the order in which it is taught.
>So leave me alone. ;-P

at least in MY school district:
prealgebra
algebra
geometry
intermediate algebra
precalc/trig
calculus or statistics

for anyone that cares ;D

Alan Hurshman

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Marita1121 <marit...@aol.com> wrote in...

> Hank wrote:
> >This was in reference to an earlier discussion I was in, when I found
> >myself having to defend geometry and the order in which it is taught.
>
> at least in MY school district:
> prealgebra
> algebra
> geometry
> intermediate algebra
> precalc/trig
> calculus or statistics

At mine it was:
(1) Counting on fingers.
(2) Counting on toes.
(3) Using additional body parts in counting.
(4) Ph.D.

Eric NRTJ Roberts

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Alan Hurshman <al...@blinkdpi.com> wrote in message

> Marita1121 <marit...@aol.com> wrote in...
> > Hank wrote:
> > >This was in reference to an earlier discussion I was
in, when I found
> > >myself having to defend geometry and the order in which
it is taught.

> > at least in MY school district:
> > prealgebra
> > algebra
> > geometry
> > intermediate algebra
> > precalc/trig
> > calculus or statistics
>
> At mine it was:
> (1) Counting on fingers.
> (2) Counting on toes.
> (3) Using additional body parts in counting.

So, if you lost and arm in one of those Maritime
squid-jigging accidents, your academic development would be
set back a couple of years?

Alan Hurshman

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Eric NRTJ Roberts <prair...@sympatico.ca> wrote...

> Alan Hurshman <al...@blinkdpi.com> wrote in message
> >
> > At mine it was:
> > (1) Counting on fingers.
> > (2) Counting on toes.
> > (3) Using additional body parts in counting.
>
> So, if you lost and arm in one of those Maritime
> squid-jigging accidents, your academic development would be
> set back a couple of years?

Yup. And lose a nose, ear or other body part useful for
counting and you would forever be relegated to the
ranks of those with only a masters degree.

Marita1121

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Alan Hurshman wrote:
>At mine it was:
>(1) Counting on fingers.
>(2) Counting on toes.
>(3) Using additional body parts in counting.

hehe..what parts would those be?

someone had to say it..

Adora

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Alan Hurshman wrote in message ...

>Marita1121 <marit...@aol.com> wrote in...
>> Hank wrote:
>
>> >This was in reference to an earlier discussion I was in, when I found
>> >myself having to defend geometry and the order in which it is taught.
>>
>> at least in MY school district:
>> prealgebra
>> algebra
>> geometry
>> intermediate algebra
>> precalc/trig
>> calculus or statistics
>
>At mine it was:
>(1) Counting on fingers.
>(2) Counting on toes.
>(3) Using additional body parts in counting.
>(4) Ph.D.

Is this true of the Canadian school system in general,
or just your region?

Alan Hurshman

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Adora <hea...@nospam.ctaz.com> wrote...

> >At mine it was:
> >(1) Counting on fingers.
> >(2) Counting on toes.
> >(3) Using additional body parts in counting.
> >(4) Ph.D.
>
> Is this true of the Canadian school system in general,
> or just your region?

No, our region is unique. West of here they never
make it past #2. As you have undoubtedly already
discovered.

Meg, the pasty paste eating diva.

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Eh, wot? Indeed! On Mon, 31 May 1999 02:12:25 GMT, ah...@GARBAGEusa.net
(Hank) said:

>Rumor has it that Marita1121 put forth the following:
>

>>well, see, i have yet to experience real life yet as i am just in 10th grade (7
>>more days...then i'll be in 11th :D). but i have found geometry somewhat
>>useful in trig this year.
>

>I rest my case. And this is why geometry is taken prior to trig.

Unless you live in New York State. Then you NEVER take geometry or
trig. You have to learn a new sort of math called Course I, Course II,
and Course III. No one outside of NY has ever heard of these
mathematical subjects. It seems their only real purpose is to make it
difficult for people in NY to explain to people outside of NY what
they are doing in school.

Not that I'm bitter.

I am not who I am-
Meg
noting that when she's not being bitter CI = algebra, CII = geometry,
CIII = trig, although you get a little of each in all of the courses.
--
"Hi, cutie..."
http://www.mindspring.com/~megadee/lair/

Physics Boy

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

>> >At mine it was:
>> >(1) Counting on fingers.
>> >(2) Counting on toes.
>> >(3) Using additional body parts in counting.
>> >(4) Ph.D.

>> Is this true of the Canadian school system in general,
>> or just your region?

>No, our region is unique. West of here they never
>make it past #2. As you have undoubtedly already
>discovered.

Hey! I'd really resent that, if I didn't mark assignments. A first
year University science student mad the following mistake:

sin x in
----- = -----
cos x co

- Physics Boy

http://www.ualberta.ca/~wdowler
ICQ# 24893016 (now with pic!)
XFW# 299792458, WM, S'sW, GMW

JESUS SAVES, passes to Moses, he shoots. It's good! He scores!

flannel fish

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

Physics Boy wrote in message <37534ef...@news.srv.ualberta.ca>...

>>> Is this true of the Canadian school system in general,
>>> or just your region?
>
>>No, our region is unique. West of here they never
>>make it past #2. As you have undoubtedly already
>>discovered.
>
>Hey! I'd really resent that, if I didn't mark assignments. A first
>year University science student mad the following mistake:
>
>sin x in
>----- = -----
>cos x co
>
>- Physics Boy

LOLOLOLOL

Yikes! Even I think I know the answer and I haven't gotten a *tan* in
years.

Sandra (also west of Alan)
******************************
XFW #52 (on top with the video equipment)
CotHP, CCC
******************************
"Oh, a *brain-sucking* amoeba!" (DKS, Darkness Falls)

Adora

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Physics Boy wrote in message <37534ef...@news.srv.ualberta.ca>...
>Alan Hurshman wrote:
>Adora wrote:

>>> Is this true of the Canadian school system in general,
>>> or just your region?
>
>>No, our region is unique. West of here they never
>>make it past #2. As you have undoubtedly already
>>discovered.
>
>Hey! I'd really resent that, if I didn't mark assignments. A first
>year University science student mad the following mistake:
>
>sin x in
>----- = -----
>cos x co

Okay, that is the single funniest thing I have seen in...
maybe ever. It took me nearly 10 minutes to quit
laughing enough to type.

Meg, the pasty paste eating diva.

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Eh, wot? Indeed! On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 16:52:45 -0400, ta...@erols.com
(Tara Charnow) said:

>On Mon, 31 May 1999 23:38:51 GMT, meg...@mindspring.com (Meg, the
>pasty paste eating diva.) wrote:
>
>>Unless you live in New York State. Then you NEVER take geometry or
>>trig. You have to learn a new sort of math called Course I, Course II,
>>and Course III
>

>Um...
>
>No one south of Bedford has heard of this either. ;->

I suppose I should amend my bitterness to "Unless you live in New York
State and are currently involved/have recently been involved with the
school system." Math Regents have changed, although I couldn't tell
how recently...I know it was sometime after 1970 but it's been
CI/II/II since at least 1986. Anyone know the exact year the math NYS
Regents system changed?

However, I can tell you exactly when the English Regents changed.

I am not who I am-
Meg

this year :P

Carolin

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Meg, the pasty paste eating diva. wrote:

> I suppose I should amend my bitterness to "Unless you live in New York
> State and are currently involved/have recently been involved with the
> school system." Math Regents have changed, although I couldn't tell
> how recently...I know it was sometime after 1970 but it's been
> CI/II/II since at least 1986. Anyone know the exact year the math NYS
> Regents system changed?

I don't know exactly when it changed, but I can back you up-- I took
Sequential Math I, then II, then III, then Pre-Calc and then Calc. I had
the pleasure of being in the 7:40 a.m. (zero period) Calc class the senior
year of high school...

Carolin
MM: Empath, KotSP, HPo1-900-number!Mulder
"All right, I'm afraid. But it's an irrational fear."

---Scully, The Ghost Who Stole Christmas