RatBoy's allegiance? (was: Re: Skytram Scene (Spoiler Alert))

Linda Burgess

Oct 24, 1994, 1:49:10 PM10/24/94
In <38b5t8$9...@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, rans...@aol.com (Ranstaff) writes:

> Although I thoroughly enjoyed the most recent episode, finding the
>writing, in general, to be of it's usual high-quality caliber, there
>remains one scene which didn't work for me. When Mulder's partner,
>Weasle-snitch, is attempting to prevent the skytram Mulder's riding in
>from reaching the top of the line, why does he wait so long until stopping
>it? And if he really didn't want Mulder to reach its destination, why
>didn't he use the any of the master controls to slap the sucker in
>reverse?
> It seemed as if the writer came up with the idea of having Mulder
>hanging on the side of the skytram, thought it would be a great situation
>for our hero to be in, and wrote the scene around it.

I'm intrigued by the new partner's situation. Granted, at first we see him
as a snitch, following orders to the tee. But watch: he gets given coffee-
gofer orders by the Hostage Negotiations Team leader, and that rankles. He
has, maybe, begun to see that Mulder isn't the off-the-wall nut case he might
have expected, but a pretty sharp agent. He sees this Scully person who also
is pretty together, who seems to support Mulder's side of things. Now, I
do suspect Kryczeck (apologies if I can't spell it) is another one of these
tedious new, up-and-coming climber to start out.

However, I'm left, after what we see of him in this latest episode, thinking
that he may be a little smarter and more human than I was crediting him with being.
Because *I* think maybe the final straw for him was when he had followed orders
and killed the tram operator, and THEY STILL WOULDN'T LET HIM IN ON THE PLAN. I
think this guy may be dealing with his own shock that his superiors just might
be in the wrong. He's finding his conscience troubled. Remember, we don't
really know where RatBoy came from; as someone has reminded us, he may not be
a rookie; we were told it was HIS CASE which Mulder kind of appropriated. It
could be that Kryczeck is becoming just as legitimately disgusted with the
people he was directed by as Mulder and Skinner are. We may not have seen the
last of him, and - like Skinner - he may not be exactly what he seems.

But what do I know!

Linda