Gillian's WASPY lisp is killing me! Anyone else?

jeff potter

Oct 27, 1996, 2:00:00 AM10/27/96

I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice it all the
time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like 'zh'. Ugh!

So you all must know: Is she rich? Did she go to prep school? I'd put MONEY on her
having a fancy background. She talks like a Hamptons girl or something. ...Barbara
Walters represents the lowest aspect of this accent. Only the fanciest people have
it.

How can anyone in TV let her keep it? It's so snobbish and cultivated! It's totally
inappropriate if not acknowledged. They should have the damnedably doubtful
Scully confess that she really doesn't have to work!!! Trustfunder!!! How else can
she afford to make a SWAT assault on the Peacocks in a $500 suit!

I need to know I'm not alone out there...!

--
JP

***********
Jeff Potter
"Out Your Backdoor"
Magazine of Affordable Adventure and Informal Culture
http://www.glpbooks.com/oyb
Great Lakes Press---Engineering Plaza & Exam Reviews
http://www.glpbooks.com

Kelly

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

I'm sure the fact that she lived in England has something to do with it.

And it seems to help her career because she does a lot of voice work.

At any rate, I used to read this list because the posts were about the
show--plots, directorial decisions, etc. Although there are still some
posts like that, the vast majority of them are just wasted space, like
this one. I really dislike David Duchovny, but I like the X-Files, so I
try to refrain from writing long messages detailing the minutiae of why
I feel as I do. Its my problem, and I have the choice of dealing with
it and watching the show, or not watching if I can't deal. I'd
appreciate the same courtesy from all of you out there who have some
sort of personal problem with someone on the show. Turn your animosity
towards the FOX network and their nefarious censorship of fans.

Kelly

babydoll

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96
to pot...@me.msu.edu, wt...@nrg.com.au

jeff potter wrote:

> I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice it all the
> time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like 'zh'. Ugh!
>
> So you all must know: Is she rich? Did she go to prep school? I'd put MONEY on her
> having a fancy background. She talks like a Hamptons girl or something. ...Barbara
> Walters represents the lowest aspect of this accent. Only the fanciest people have
> it.
>
> How can anyone in TV let her keep it? It's so snobbish and cultivated! It's totally
> inappropriate if not acknowledged. They should have the damnedably doubtful
> Scully confess that she really doesn't have to work!!! Trustfunder!!! How else can
> she afford to make a SWAT assault on the Peacocks in a $500 suit!
>
> I need to know I'm not alone out there...!
>
> --
> JP
>
> ***********
> Jeff Potter

Living in Australia, I don't recognize what you're saying because I haven't
seen the recent ep's, but incidently, living in a family who does a lot of
speech and drama, I know for a fact that the "posh" way she is apparently
talking in, even though it sounds funny (believe me, I've made many a joke)is
actually the correct way, or at least the taught way, that most professional
thespians learn these days. You have to lengthen T's and S's (zh), and round
your R's and O's etc, etc. It is the "proper" method used, and rates highly
when being judged in presentation.

Perhaps Scully's just been doing a bit of speech and drama work as a hobby?
Or maybe Gillian .....

babydoll

achase

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

In article <3273F1...@me.msu.edu>, jeff potter <pot...@me.msu.edu> wrote:

> I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice
it all the
> time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like
'zh'. Ugh!

(snip)

> How can anyone in TV let her keep it? It's so snobbish and cultivated!
It's totally
> inappropriate if not acknowledged. They should have the damnedably doubtful
> Scully confess that she really doesn't have to work!!! Trustfunder!!!
How else can
> she afford to make a SWAT assault on the Peacocks in a $500 suit!
> I need to know I'm not alone out there...!

You know, you're right! It's enough to ruin the whole show for me! Class
distinctions measured by speech patterns are so *very* important in the
United States after all!! And while we're on the subject, it always
bugged me why didn't they get that darn Audrey Hepburn to stop talking in
that accented, lilting way! Geez, it was so affected!!

--anne :@ tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek (which may account for my muffled
"esses") (more bothered by excessive ! posts than GA's supposed locution
problem)

jeff potter

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96
to Kelly

Kelly wrote:

> At any rate, I used to read this list because the posts were about the
> show--plots, directorial decisions, etc.

I guess actors and their style have nothing to do with the show. Just plots. Right.
Funny word to use in the subject line, of course. All I dislike is her LISP. It's not
FBI-like. It's WASPY. I was wondering where it came from. This group is also a place
for speculation and inside info.

PS: English don't lisp. Possibly snotty affected doublebarrelers.

--
JP

***********
Jeff Potter

jeff potter

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

The only thing I can think of to justify her lisp is that she thinks it goes with
rumination. She's always mulling things over. Is very careful. Hence drawnout
sounds. At the same time, it's a LAZY sound. It happens when people don't move
their mouths as they speak. Maybe she's trying to keep up the flat affect pace
with David.

Manos Demetris

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

jeff potter wrote:

> I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice it all the
> time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like 'zh'. Ugh!

I was startled to read your description of a speech characteristic I
have noticed before but could not put into words. Scully often slips
into this in quiet, serious moments, like at hospital bedsides. The
easiest place to hear it is when she says "I don't understand", and
purses her lips to where it almost sounds like "... undershtand". It's
odd that another woman I know of similar age and appearance to GA has a
similar characteristic.

To me it suggests an air of superiority or higher intelligence. I know
that sounds unnecessarily harsh, and I can't explain how that idea gets
across. As if someone is trying to SOUND smart.

Does it bother me? Well, yeah, a little. I'm hoping she grows out of
it. Her and Jane Pauley and Diane Sawyer and Paula Zahn and about half
of the anchorwomen on television who must be trained to speak this way,
it seems.

Manos

parismom

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

what are you? the anti-snob? perfect. using a person's linguistic
style to create a judgement on *everything* about her. assholes come
from *all* walks of life; having the luck to have money won't make you
an asshole if you're not one already. i would like to believe that GA
is not a member of the asshole faction.
and baba walters couldn't care less about your opinion of *her* diction.

pm

Jerry A Morelli

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

I never knew that that way of talking was taught. I always thought it
was just a speech impediment that never got taken care of. I have
noticed it too on GA and it does get annoying but I never associated it
with any social class or anything of that nature.
Jerry "Jray" Morelli | "The problem with the future is that it keeps turning
s015...@cc.ysu.edu | into the present" - Bill Watterson

Kellie J. Adan

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

jeff potter (pot...@me.msu.edu) wrote:

: How can anyone in TV let her keep it? It's so snobbish and cultivated! It's totally

EXCUSE ME. Some of us have this zh sound to our s's because of the
way our jaws are constructed. Gillian could very well have the exact same
schlight misalignment of the jaw that I have, causing the zh sound. And no
one could accuse me of being rich and snobby, because I am neither! I am
quite white trash poor/schtarving artisht and quite fucking proud of it,
thank you very much, shir.

: Scully confess that she really doesn't have to work!!! Trustfunder!!! How else can

: she afford to make a SWAT assault on the Peacocks in a $500 suit!

Thish is quite possibly the most ridiculoushly judgemental and
uninformed thing I have ever read.

: I need to know I'm not alone out there...!

I hope you are. Some of us get teashed enough about our speech
impedimentsh, thank you. Now myshelf and Gillian [and Bette Davish and
like, EVERY good actress] are being accushed of being RICH? Oh, that I
only HAD schuch problems!

-kj lisps in your general direction. THINK before you posht,
pleazh.

-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------
Daphne of the Tenderspot |Fax or call: 702 786 8019 [USA] |
http://www.scs.unr.edu/~adan/index.html |LEAVE A MESSAGE if I don't answer|
I would like to invite you to my mother's house, to my bedroom, to play
those old records we all know the words to. And I would like you to kiss
me, to crush me, to lick me. Till I beg you to stop. Till you drive me
crazy.

C Miller

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

jeff potter <pot...@me.msu.edu> wrote:

>I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice it all the
>time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like 'zh'. Ugh!

>So you all must know: Is she rich? Did she go to prep school? I'd put MONEY on her

>having a fancy background. She talks like a Hamptons girl or something. ...Barbara
>Walters represents the lowest aspect of this accent. Only the fanciest people have
>it.

>How can anyone in TV let her keep it? It's so snobbish and cultivated! It's totally

>inappropriate if not acknowledged. They should have the damnedably doubtful

>Scully confess that she really doesn't have to work!!! Trustfunder!!! How else can
>she afford to make a SWAT assault on the Peacocks in a $500 suit!

>I need to know I'm not alone out there...!

>--
>JP

>***********
>Jeff Potter
> "Out Your Backdoor"
> Magazine of Affordable Adventure and Informal Culture
> http://www.glpbooks.com/oyb
> Great Lakes Press---Engineering Plaza & Exam Reviews
> http://www.glpbooks.com

Hey, Jeff, you're not alone. GA's mushy esses have been getting on my
nerves, too, and I've been trying to think of a way to bring that up
without sounding like I'm trying to start something. Thanks for going
first!

Just keep in mind, this in _no_ way_ has anything to do with GA's
looks, weight, acting abilities, awards, interviews, script-writing,
or outside projects! ;-) Okay, here are my thoughts. (Oh, boy,
am I gonna regret this?)

First of all, I don't think it's a lisp, as a lisp has a "th" sound
with the tongue between the teeth. GA's is just a mushy sound, and
I'm not sure that it has anything to do with a snobby background. Has
anyone else noticed how she rarely closes her mouth completely shut?
It's usually partly open, and when she does close it, you can see that
the upper lip must be sort of forced down over the teeth to meet the
lower lip. (Kinda like that kid who played the dark-haired adopted
Ingalls son on later episodes of"Little House On The Prairie.") My
guess is that a slight overbite and/or jaw misalignment is causing
those buzzing esses. (When I talk with my lower jaw pulled under, I
can make those little "esh" sounds, too.)

There is a flatness in the delivery of both DD and GA that is part of
the feel of the show, so that may be why she isn't opening her mouth
enough to e-nun-ci-ate. However, doesn't she talk this way in real
life, too, in interviews, etc? Rats, now I brought her interviews
into this!

I love the look and feel of the show, but whenever Scully talks, I'm
distracted from what's being said because I'm hearing those annoying
"eshes." What can GA do about it? Maybe she doesn't want to do
anything about it. But wouldn't you think a professional actor would
have had speech lessons to correct distracting speech patterns?

Carol

Champey

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

Get over it people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constructive criticism is one thing but puh-lease......

It amazes me that a group of seemingly intelligent people who are such
tremendous fans of this great series have nothing to do but find every
little thing they can to insult and malign it's heroes... It's rude and
childish and beneath all of you... After all they are so unlike all of you
who are soooooooooo perfect.

It embarrasses me as a die-hard fan to think that Duchovny, Anderson or
even Carter may read these posts.

Face it... Nobody's perfect... so lets get back to the more intelligent
and stimulating conversations I know you all are capable of...

(Yes - I'm putting on my flame-retardent suit as we speak.)

"Willing to believe in extreme possibilities..."

Barbara

Catherine J. Blatz

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

C Miller wrote:

> jeff potter <pot...@me.msu.edu> wrote:
>
> >I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice it all the
> >time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like 'zh'. Ugh!

[snip...only because it's already been quoted elsewhere in this thread]

> >--
> >JP

Gosh, I've noticed this too, but it never bothered me...I guess I just
figured...I don't know what I figured. She does have a unique way of
enunciating, but I don't know if it has anything to do with class. She
also tends to say "dese" and "dose" instead of "these" and "those,"
both on the show and in "real life." I don't know where this comes from
either (though I know it's a stereotypically Midwestern way of speaking,
and she did spend much of her youth in Michigan). She also says "nat"
for "not" sometimes, though I haven't noticed it on the show so much as
when she's speaking as herself. She does the "sh" thing as herself as
well...when she was on Rosie and she was talking about someone *sitting*
on the toilet in the airplane bathroom, I thought for a second that she
said...and I was wondering why they didn't bleep it out...until I
realized it was just her Gill-ical way of talking. :)

I have a feeling she soaks up accents like a sponge. On the Exit to
Eden audio she does French, English, Southern U.S. and New York City,
and none too badly. (Also on Exit to Eden she noticeably does the "sh"
thing...so at least we know she's not affecting it for the show.) I
know she had an English accent growing up and I don't hear a trace of
it now, and in fact I think I may hear the Midwestern thing creeping
in. I once heard a sound clip of her on a British radio program and she
sounded as if she'd reverted a bit to a more English way of speaking.
So I guess maybe she's got some kind of a melange going, that comes out
sounding like...Gillian. I wouldn't guess that there's a physical reason
for it (though she sure does have a pointy little chin :) ). I bet she
could kick it if she really set her mind to it. She doesn't do it every
time. I for one don't mind it. I kind of like it, actually.

What she DOESN'T have is a Maryland accent. I guess Scully was shuffled
around as a child too. :)

Not to mention that there is NO WAY that Mulder would sound the way
David does if he'd grown up in Massachusetts. If you're really from
"Bah-stin," you don't say "Boo-uh-stun" ("GenderBender"). :)

Hope nobody thinks I'm flaming Gillian...or anyone on earth that might
speak with any kind of accent. :) (PLEASE, let's stay clear of all that
nastiness in those Letterman threads...)

Cathy
who lives in Boston but drives a Honda, *not* a "Hawn-der" :P
--
Catherine J. Blatz
Mulder: "That's a pretty extreme hunch."

Sara Leitch

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

I was in England this summer and happened to see GA in a special on
paranormal stuff... she kept saying "Wierd Science" as "Wierd Schienche"

well, it was amusing at the time.

Sara Leitch | "Let's all meet up in the year 2000,
sara....@yale.edu | won't it be strange when we're all
jle...@openix.com | fully grown?" -Disco 2000, PULP

Stef Davies

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

>> PS: English don't lisp. Possibly snotty affected doublebarrelers.

WRONG!!

We have as many lispers as anywhere else. Nothing to do with class, mate.

Stef
The not-proud possessor of an odd lisp-thing.

"Scully, you are the *only* one I trust

.....except of course for that blonde woman at the UN"

stephani...@ukonline.co.uk

x x x x x x x x x x x x
For the X-Files fanfic Daily listing archive:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/xfilesfanficarchive.d/contents.htm

For fanfic that follows the episodes:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/xfilesfanficarchive.d/postepis.htm

x x x x x x x x x x x x

Kenytt Avery

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?

---
Kenytt Avery (kav...@titan.fullerton.edu)
"I don't know the meaning of the word surrender! I mean, I know it,
I'm not dumb... just not in this context." -- The Tick
*Lege, lege, lege, labore, ora et relege*

Nexus6A

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Now, this is a pretty insipid thread. Wow, I'm amazed that this seems to
be bugging so many people. Does this mean that her manner of speech makes
any of the critics feel "inferior" somehow? ;)

-Adrian

sdsuser

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Kenytt Avery wrote:

> Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?
> I'm not sure I would call it cute, but it certainly doesn't bother me
like it does some people. It seems to be more noticeable at time. I
don't believe it has anything to do with an "attitude." If you look at
her mouth when she talks (and I need no special reason to look at her
mouth ;->), you'll notice she doesn't open it very much ( :-< ). I
think it's simply a problem of some sort with her jaw or something like
that.

Karen M Colosa

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

iiiiiiiiii

Kellie J. Adan

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Catherine J. Blatz <cja...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: sounding like...Gillian. I wouldn't guess that there's a physical reason
: for it (though she sure does have a pointy little chin :) ). I bet she

I always thought she had a rather stocky jaw.
Oh well...I think you have another point here with thish esh
thing. Eshpecially when you mentioned that Gillian had an English accent
as a child, becush I wazh not aware of thish.
I was born in and lived in England until I was sixsh, AND I have a
screwy jaw. So if it's NOT physical for Gillian, maybe it's an accent
screw up. For me it's probably both. My voice is a wreck.
Imagine moving from London to Boshton to southern Connecticut.
Talk about schum schcrewed up speech patterns. ;)
-kj

: Not to mention that there is NO WAY that Mulder would sound the way

: David does if he'd grown up in Massachusetts. If you're really from
: "Bah-stin," you don't say "Boo-uh-stun" ("GenderBender"). :)

It helps that David is from Brooklyn. ;)

-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------
Daphne of the Tenderspot |Fax or call: 702 786 8019 [USA] |
http://www.scs.unr.edu/~adan/index.html |LEAVE A MESSAGE if I don't answer|

"Jesus loves you even more than your mother does!" --from a Christian
propaganda comic book

Coleen Sullivan-Baier

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

In <558b25$e...@wintermute.ecs.fullerton.edu> kav...@ecs.fullerton.edu

(Kenytt Avery) writes:

>Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?

Gee, am I the only one here who never even noticed??? the
only thing that *I* notice is that she and MP both say "Molder"...
except when she does the mating call thing "MUUUUUUUUULLLLDEEERR!!!"

XXXXXXXXggiiiiiizzzziiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeXXXXXXXX
(nah...just don't cut it)

Kellie J. Adan

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

C Miller <mill...@concentric.net> wrote:
: guess is that a slight overbite and/or jaw misalignment is causing

: those buzzing esses. (When I talk with my lower jaw pulled under, I
: can make those little "esh" sounds, too.)

YES! That is exactly what it probably is, because, as I said, I
have this problem, if it even IS a problem [some men have told me they
find it sexy].

: anything about it. But wouldn't you think a professional actor would

: have had speech lessons to correct distracting speech patterns?

Oh, sure. I was told I could have my jaw dislocated and fixed for
a couple of thousand dollars. I REALLY don't think it's THAT fucking
important, and I hope Gillian doesn't, either.
Gil, keep feeding ush thozhe Esh's. Schum of ush appreciate it!

-kj

-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------
Daphne of the Tenderspot |Fax or call: 702 786 8019 [USA] |
http://www.scs.unr.edu/~adan/index.html |LEAVE A MESSAGE if I don't answer|

Mailpersons typically have no sense of humour. Or if they do, it's cheesy
and you want to kick them.

LISA LOISELLE

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

In article <55a049$h...@shellx.best.com>, Pamela T. Pon <p...@best.com> wrote:

>Coleen Sullivan-Baier <giz...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>kav...@ecs.fullerton.edu (Kenytt Avery) writes:
>>>
>>>Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?
>>
>> Gee, am I the only one here who never even noticed??? the
>>only thing that *I* notice is that she and MP both say "Molder"...
>>except when she does the mating call thing "MUUUUUUUUULLLLDEEERR!!!"
>>
>> XXXXXXXXggiiiiiizzzziiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeXXXXXXXX
>> (nah...just don't cut it)
>
>I too have *never* noticed. Maybe because I watch so much British &
>Australian TV & movies that tiny little quirks like this pale in comparison
>to much more prominent differences in accents, etc.. Or maybe it's because
>I don't turn the volume up high enough, to avoid annoying the neighbors.
>(It's hard enough having to make excuses for Mulder's coming by & pounding
>on my door in the middle of the night. ;-)
>
>You think "giiizzziiieeee" doesn't cut it? It's better than a name with *3*
>syllables. Or a first syllable that, when used alone, is indistinguishable
>from the word "DAMN!" In comparison, I think "giiiizzziiieeeeeeeeee!" would
>make a more-than-serviceable Mulder mating call, especially if he emphasizes
>the second syllable as he does when shouting "Ssscuuullllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"
>
>PS. Is Gizmonics Institute related to Gizatron in some way?
>
>**** pamela pon p...@best.com (very behind on e-mail; please *post* replies)
>Save DUE SOUTH * Write CBS: 7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90036
>Save SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND * Write FOX: Box 900, Beverly Hills CA 90213
>**** Ride Forever ***** Do or Die ***** Thank you kindly ***** SEMPER FI *****

Actually, the first message I ever posted here at atxf was in
reference to GA's speaking voice. I noticed it *immediately*, but it
didn't really bother me one way or another. It's not a *snobbery*
thing... I know many people who have a tendency to 'shpeak' that way...
and with some it's natural and with 'othersh' it's a put-on. It's the
'in' thing. I've heard it called a 'lateral lisp'. A regular lisp is
when one would say 'thand' instead of 'sand'. A lateral lisp is when
one would say 'shand' instead of 'sand'. Recall Darlene on Roseanne.
She speaks with a really pronounced lateral lisp. And if you look at
earlier X-Files episodes, you'll notice that affectation isn't in
Gillian's voice. The lateral lisp makes her voice sound sexier, so I
think she's just going with it.

Lisa
....35 hours without sleep and counting.... welcome to insomniac-central...

M Heikkinen

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

On 29 Oct 1996, Kellie J. Adan wrote:

> EXCUSE ME. Some of us have this zh sound to our s's because of the
> way our jaws are constructed. Gillian could very well have the exact same
> schlight misalignment of the jaw that I have, causing the zh sound. And no
> one could accuse me of being rich and snobby, because I am neither! I am
> quite white trash poor/schtarving artisht and quite fucking proud of it,
> thank you very much, shir.

Amen. I have the schame problem, and am far from a rich schnob...

Kim, who would LOVE to talk that way becausch sche's a rich WASP, not
becausch of her TMJ problems...

C Miller

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

Manos Demetris <ma...@rust.net> wrote:

>sdsuser wrote:

>> Kenytt Avery wrote:
>> >
>> > Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?

>> > I'm not sure I would call it cute, but it certainly doesn't bother me
>> like it does some people. It seems to be more noticeable at time. I
>> don't believe it has anything to do with an "attitude." If you look at
>> her mouth when she talks (and I need no special reason to look at her
>> mouth ;->), you'll notice she doesn't open it very much ( :-< ). I
>> think it's simply a problem of some sort with her jaw or something like
>> that.

>Mmm, I don't think so. Listen to Jane Pauley, or Diane Sawyer. They
>have a similar sound, and I think it's intentional. I think some
>broadcasting consultant overdosing on focus groups is telling these
>women "Now, girls, don't open your mouths too wide, it's not lady-like."

>Manos

Yes, it could be something they were told to do. But *their* speaking
voices annoy me, too! Ack!

Another person who really has that "esh" thing going is Paul "Mad
About You" Reiser. So maybe it is an accent of some sort. The only
person who doesn't annoy me when he "eshes" is Sean Connery. He has
the dreamiest voice! (Now how did I get so far off-topic? Back to
the X-Files!)

Carolyn

Michelle Rainer

Nov 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/3/96

In article <55a049$h...@shellx.best.com>, p...@best.com (Pamela T. Pon) wrote:

> Coleen Sullivan-Baier <giz...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >kav...@ecs.fullerton.edu (Kenytt Avery) writes:
> >>

> >>Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?
> >

> > Gee, am I the only one here who never even noticed??? the
> >only thing that *I* notice is that she and MP both say "Molder"...
> >except when she does the mating call thing "MUUUUUUUUULLLLDEEERR!!!"
> >
> > XXXXXXXXggiiiiiizzzziiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeXXXXXXXX
> > (nah...just don't cut it)

LOL. 'The mating call thing'. Such a good way to describe it! She's done
that a few times hasn't she?

I kind of like the speech thing she has going. It gives her a more
authoritarian/serious kind of voice. One that demands more attention. Look
at Skinner, he barely opens his teeth when he talks, and that sure gives
him authority! <g>

I have noticed, that more recently, Scully seems more reserved, really
understated. Maybe GA is trying to keep up with DD in the understated
acting area, but more so than before. She's less reaactive now, and it
makes her more of an unknown as a character. All in all, I must say that I
like it.

While GA was here in Australia, I noticed that in a lot of interviews,
she sounded rather British. I happen to like her accent. It's a nice
mixture of all. Not all American, not all British... maybe because I'm
used to the Aussie accent, and that's more what she sounded like, a well
spoken Australian <g> Who knows. She does sound more American on the show
than she does in real life, maybe that was due to the other travelling she
did before she came to Australia. I think I'd have to agree with someone
who said in an earlier post (sorry can't remember who :() that she absorbs
accents easily. Anyway...

Jaedd

sdsuser

Nov 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/3/96

> : While GA was here in Australia, I noticed that in a lot of interviews,

> :she sounded rather British. I happen to like her accent. It's a nice
> :mixture of all. Not all American, not all British... maybe because I'm
> :used to the Aussie accent, and that's more what she sounded like, a well
> :spoken Australian <g> Who knows. She does sound more American on the show
> :than she does in real life, maybe that was due to the other travelling she
>
> perhaps the accent is Canadian?
> the show is taped in vancouver.

Her accent is most likely due to having spent her early childhood (until
age 11) in England. She has said that she had a distinct British accent
until she got to college. I suspect she has to make a somewhat
conscious effort to suppress her accent at times, and doesn't bother to
when in England or Australia. In interviews, she often uses "British"
words (remember her "naked bum on the toilet" story on Rosie? Americans
would say "butt.") Anyway, I like her voice, though I admit when she
shlurs a lot, it can be a bit distracting.

Kellie J. Adan

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

M Heikkinen (mi...@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu) wrote:

: Kim, who would LOVE to talk that way becausch sche's a rich WASP, not

: becausch of her TMJ problems...

TMJ schufferersh, unite! I wouldn't be the leasht bit schurprizhed
if Gillian has TMJ...due to all the schtress she musht feel from all the
flack she appearsh to get from her scho-called "fanzh".
-kj goesh for the Tylenol again. Godsh thish hurtsh

-----------------------------------------|----------------------------------
Daphne of the Tenderspot |Fax or call: 702 786 8019 [USA] |
http://www.scs.unr.edu/~adan/index.html |LEAVE A MESSAGE if I don't answer|

"Oh, he was over there doin' some...stuff!"
"Nice fish! Nice fish!"

Helix the Cat

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

> :> > Gee, am I the only one here who never even noticed??? the

> :> >only thing that *I* notice is that she and MP both say "Molder"...
> :> >except when she does the mating call thing "MUUUUUUUUULLLLDEEERR!!!"
> :> >
> :> > XXXXXXXXggiiiiiizzzziiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeXXXXXXXX
> :> > (nah...just don't cut it)
> :
> :LOL. 'The mating call thing'. Such a good way to describe it! She's done
> :that a few times hasn't she?

How about Mulder's "SCULEEE!" ... or, if it get's really bad "DAANAAA!"

--- Helix

*omlette -- (noun) an Amish child *
*--------------------------------------------------------*
*"The Citizen Kane of alcaholic clown movies." *
* --- Entertainment Weekly on "Shakes the *
* Clown" *
*--------------------------------------------------------*
*This .sig is entirely too large. *
*--------------------------------------------------------*
*Helix the Cat *
*ad...@jinx.sckans.edu *
*http://www.sckans.edu/~adam *

anonymous

Nov 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/8/96

In article <327983...@rust.net>, Manos Demetris <ma...@rust.net> says:

>sdsuser wrote:
>>
>> Kenytt Avery wrote:
>> >
>> > Gee... am I the only one out here who thinks it's cute?
>> > I'm not sure I would call it cute, but it certainly doesn't bother me
>> like it does some people. It seems to be more noticeable at time. I
>> don't believe it has anything to do with an "attitude." If you look at
>> her mouth when she talks (and I need no special reason to look at her
>> mouth ;->), you'll notice she doesn't open it very much ( :-< ). I
>> think it's simply a problem of some sort with her jaw or something like
>> that.
>

>Mmm, I don't think so. Listen to Jane Pauley, or Diane Sawyer. They
>have a similar sound, and I think it's intentional. I think some
>broadcasting consultant overdosing on focus groups is telling these
>women "Now, girls, don't open your mouths too wide, it's not lady-like."
>
>Manos

I think that it's kind of sexy actually. Well that's all I have to say.

Iliana Torres

Feb 20, 2023, 12:37:26 PM2/20/23
On Sunday, October 27, 1996 at 5:00:00 AM UTC-2, jeff potter wrote:
> I'm an X-buff, but G's 'educated' locutions are getting to me. I notice it all the
> time now. She puts a buzz on some of her esses. Makes them more like 'zh'. Ugh!
> So you all must know: Is she rich? Did she go to prep school? I'd put MONEY on her
> having a fancy background. She talks like a Hamptons girl or something. ...Barbara
> Walters represents the lowest aspect of this accent. Only the fanciest people have
> it.
> How can anyone in TV let her keep it? It's so snobbish and cultivated! It's totally
> inappropriate if not acknowledged. They should have the damnedably doubtful
> Scully confess that she really doesn't have to work!!! Trustfunder!!! How else can
> she afford to make a SWAT assault on the Peacocks in a $500 suit!
> I need to know I'm not alone out there...!
> --
> JP
> Jeff Potter
> "Out Your Backdoor"
> Magazine of Affordable Adventure and Informal Culture
> http://www.glpbooks.com/oyb
> Great Lakes Press---Engineering Plaza & Exam Reviews
> http://www.glpbooks.com

I HATE the way she speaks, it gets to my nerves. It's as if she is above everybody else. No, you're not alone out there.