April 22- Unrequited Mulder and Scully-AGGGHHH!

Andrea Miralia

Apr 22, 1994, 11:12:39 PM4/22/94

I figured out something: They remind me of me and my ex.

"If there's an ice tea in that bag, this could be love."
"It must be fate, Mulder... It's Root beer."

AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
them to get together!

--
------------------ fer...@acpub.duke.edu-----------------------------
* " It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.. of course, then

Victor Buttaro

Apr 23, 1994, 1:28:48 PM4/23/94
Andrea Miralia (fer...@acpub.duke.edu) wrote:

: I figured out something: They remind me of me and my ex.

: "If there's an ice tea in that bag, this could be love."
: "It must be fate, Mulder... It's Root beer."

: AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
: them to get together!

I'd be nice to see them together. But this is one of those shows where
it's best to have them concentrate on the cases every week and not
the everyday lives of them dating. Relationships....that's an X-file in
it self.

Maybe they should have an episode where they get them toghter and then
leave that aspect of there relationship in the background for the most
part. I don't want a Maddie and Joel thing....

I wonder if that comment about the ice-tea was a throw away line or
whether the show's producers are planning something.

Victor (Mr.XYZ)

hwn.

Apr 23, 1994, 6:54:17 PM4/23/94
In article <Coq38...@dorsai.org> Victor Buttaro, eni...@dorsai.org
writes:

> I don't want a Maddie and Joel thing....

Whether on purpose or by accident, I thought the above was pretty
humorous.

hwn.

Andrea Miralia

Apr 23, 1994, 8:31:46 PM4/23/94

I'm thinking along similar lines as some people... I wouldn't be surprised
if Mulder and Cully get together due to some unexplainable outside force
that makes them temporarily out of control or something... though
the way I just worded it sounds awfully silly.

I don't think anyone wants the show to shift focus on to the relationship
between the two agents, any more so than it already is.

It's just nice to see them acting human... It IS Spring after all... :)

vgho...@delphi.com

Apr 24, 1994, 7:48:25 AM4/24/94
I just assume that M & S will probably get together after
they go their separate ways (from the X-files division).

In other words, after the show goes off the air.

vgho...@delphi.com

timothy k istian soholt

Apr 25, 1994, 1:31:46 AM4/25/94
Victor Buttaro <eni...@dorsai.org> writes:

>Andrea Miralia (fer...@acpub.duke.edu) wrote:

>: AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
>: them to get together!

Slowly, if it weren't concentrated on too much, it might just work.
It'd be dangerous -- could send the show down the tubes real fast.
But, yeah, I agree, I want to see them together. (It's tough being
half cynical, half romantic :-) )

>I wonder if that comment about the ice-tea was a throw away line or
>whether the show's producers are planning something.

Personally, I think someone's feeding The Powers That Be at least
the highlights of this newsgroup. They're touching on things that
were the subject of pretty major discussion here about two months
ago.

-- Tim Soholt (xoa...@carina.unm.edu)

Andrea Miralia

Apr 25, 1994, 2:55:38 AM4/25/94
timothy k istian soholt (xoa...@unm.edu) wrote:

: (thinks that someone is telling the Powers that Be))

the highlights of this newsgroup. They're touching on things that
: were the subject of pretty major discussion here about two months
: ago.

: -- Tim Soholt (xoa...@carina.unm.edu)

Well, if that's the case, could the powers ththat be tell Mr. Duchovny
that if he's ever in Chapel Hill (where I live now) or in Princeton (where my
boyfriend is) we'd love to take him out for coffee/tea/cappucino?

:)

------------------ fer...@acpub.duke.edu-----------------------------
* " It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.. of course, then
* you can always play with the eye." A WOMAN NEEDS A MAN LIKE A FISH NEEDS *
* A BICYCLE. "You, me, five bucks.. and good conversation..." -Reality Bites
* "And when they say 'take of his body' I think I'll take from mine instead"

* Tori Amos (fellow graduate of Thelma and Louise Finishing School)

Allan B. Elkowitz

Apr 25, 1994, 9:19:27 AM4/25/94
fer...@acpub.duke.edu (Andrea Miralia) writes:

>AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
>them to get together!

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Your bitterness is because you are not up to the magnitude of pain which
you have been entrusted with.

hwn.

Apr 25, 1994, 9:45:14 AM4/25/94
In article <2pgg0v$5...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> Allan B. Elkowitz,

elko...@alumni.caltech.edu writes:
> fer...@acpub.duke.edu (Andrea Miralia) writes:
>
> >AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
> >them to get together!
>
> no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no no
> no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no no
> no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no no no no

Hey, President Bill Clinton does read this newsgroup...

...I thought he only acted this way around Republicans.

OK, it was either that line or "Come on, Allan, how do you really feel?"

hwn.

David C. Morefield

Apr 25, 1994, 10:06:52 AM4/25/94

I vote not to get Scully and Mulder together (at least not any more
than they are now). Their teamwork relies on the interplay of her
specticism, his belief and the mutual respect for each point of
view. I think romance could throw this
delicate balance off kilter. I like to think of our heroes as "The
Avengers" with an edge. Like Steed and Emma, there's a genuine
affection beneath the surface, but it springs from a mutual respect
that has little to do with sexual attraction. It's only natural
that a sense of camraderie would evolve between Scully and Mulder
considering the experiences they share (and which separate them more
and more from potential partners in the "normal" world), but letting
this become a physical affair would be an uncharacteristic and
ultimately destructive error for two otherwise professional agents.
.

Kevin Roberson

Apr 25, 1994, 10:52:29 AM4/25/94

Personally, I thought that the entire episode did a lot to cement
the producer's wish to keep away from any real resolution of the
sexual tension. Take the following points into consideration:

1 - For the first time, Scully was called upon to defend Mulder's
defiance of procedure. In response, she lied for him. This
could easily be misconstrued as an act of love. However,
the history they share seems to me to indicate it is more an
act of loyalty: she really believes in him, not the x-files,
but him.

2 - The dialog in the car while FM was on surveillance was playful
banter between two people who have grown to respect each other
tremendously, have unresolved feelings for each other, but
have a level of professionalism that precludes anything more.
Also, bear in mind that the line from FM about an iced tea
in the bag being an indication of true love came from a very
very tired man (three days without sleep).

3 - The reference to a "change for us" by FM in the closing scene
leads me to believe that FM expects the x-files to be taken
a bit more seriously by his superiors. One could also
interpret this as a change in the relationship between DS and FM.
I just don't think so.

Kevin D. Roberson |
Perii Systems, Inc. |
Email address: |
robe...@panix.com |

Paula J. Vitaris

Apr 25, 1994, 11:31:16 AM4/25/94
Kevin, when you say that you think the "a change is coming" line
means the X-Files will be taken more seriously by the brass, do you
mean that in a positive or negative sense? Positive: they will
give more support to Mulder; or b) they will try even harder to
shut him down. Personally, I feel Mulder sees dark times ahead,
with a much greater opposition to his work, possibly even life-
threatening opposition. The little scenario in my head has some
very serious political battles waging in the secret group that I
suspect both Mr. Chainsmoker and Deep Throat work for -- in other
words, at much higher (and secret) levels than the FBI. Mulder and
Scully and the FBI brass are pawns in some hidden game.

Maybe I've read too much John LeCarre -- but the LeCarre-esque
aspect of X-Files has always been one of its most appealing aspects
for me. (Of course, that was the aspect almost completely ignored
in James Wolcott's article in the New Yorker. He showed up on
Compuserve by the way, and I asked him about that. He said he
thought government conspiracy/paranoia plots were old hat and
uninteresting, since anybody who works for the federal government
knows how easily secrets can slip out. I worked for the federal
government and on one hand, that's true. On the other hand, they've
covered up deep, dark stuff that would completely outrage us if we
knew about it.)

-- Paula

P.S. I thought the car scene sheer perfection -- one that will go
down in X-Files annals. My vote is for no romance at all, but I
think there is a huge amount of attraction between Scully and
Mulder that they will never act on, for about ten million reasons.
One of which is it will ruin the show.

In Technicolor!

Apr 25, 1994, 9:37:09 PM4/25/94
fer...@acpub.duke.edu (Andrea Miralia) writes:

> I figured out something: They remind me of me and my ex.
>
> "If there's an ice tea in that bag, this could be love."
> "It must be fate, Mulder... It's Root beer."
>
> AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
> them to get together!

Noooo! I think this bit was put in there because Carter wants very
specifically to let us know this is _not_ going to happen, and it shouldn't.

Once, just _once_, can we _please_ have a TV show with a man and woman
who are partners but not love interests? Please? It's so boring to see
that kind of thing toime and time again. Let them just be partners and
friends.

+ Christopher D. Frankonis +
+ slo...@mindvox.phantom.com +

<inf> say something .sigfull

z...@proxima.cc.colorado.edu

Apr 26, 1994, 2:33:46 AM4/26/94
"no no no no no no no no no no no...[ad nauseum]..."

I agree! Mulder and Scully should not get together. It would ruin the
mood of the show. "X-Files" would turn into "Moonlighting in the Twilight
Zone." Yuck. However, I must admit, I am just loving the teasing this
sexual tension is giving me. As a member of the GA-testosterone brigade,
I think I'm tickled by the idea of vicariously living a Mulder and Scully
get-together. The tension rocks. Just so long as they don't over-do it.

-Zac in Colorado

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am made from the dust of stars

Micky DuPree

Apr 26, 1994, 5:19:34 AM4/26/94
elko...@alumni.caltech.edu (Allan B. Elkowitz) writes:

>fer...@acpub.duke.edu (Andrea Miralia) writes:

>>AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
>>them to get together!

>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>no no no no no no no no

Yeah, what Allan said. Double it.

-Micky

Het female who thinks Mulder makes a better brother surrogate than a
sex symbol.

<ducks quickly>

Kevin Roberson

Apr 26, 1994, 7:42:16 AM4/26/94
In article <2pgno4$6...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu> pvi...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Paula J. Vitaris) writes:

Kevin, when you say that you think the "a change is coming" line
means the X-Files will be taken more seriously by the brass, do you
mean that in a positive or negative sense? Positive: they will
give more support to Mulder; or b) they will try even harder to
shut him down. Personally, I feel Mulder sees dark times ahead,
with a much greater opposition to his work, possibly even life-
threatening opposition. The little scenario in my head has some
very serious political battles waging in the secret group that I
suspect both Mr. Chainsmoker and Deep Throat work for -- in other
words, at much higher (and secret) levels than the FBI. Mulder and
Scully and the FBI brass are pawns in some hidden game.

Interesting question, Paula. I hadn't thought it out that far.
I have yet to see the pilot (being a latecomer to X-philedom),
so this was my first encounter with "the smoker". I had a gut
reaction to the departmental meetings that left me feeling as
though our heros were for the first time getting really close
to something, and they were being "guided" indirectly to make
sure that the outcome would satisfy some grand scheme. Perhaps,
Tooms represented an experiment gone awry. Or, perhaps, his
origin and purpose are known by some government agency that has
chosen to take a "hands-off" stance. DS and FM are, afterall,
nothing more than pawns who have been designated to X-files
related cases. If only they are involved in developing
evidence around unexplainable phenomena, the level of control
and isolation is very high.

However, the growth of both characters is for me the true
strength of the show. The newfound scrutiny of Mulder, and the
emerging open-mindedness of Scully.

Deborah Brown

Apr 25, 1994, 8:04:19 PM4/25/94
Allan B. Elkowitz <elko...@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

>>AGGGGHHH.. I don't care what anyone says, I guess I'm a sap... I want
>>them to get together!
>
>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>no no no no no no no no

Count me in with a big, fat DITTO on Allan's "No".

I think getting them together would ruin the show. MAYBE in the final
episode of the series, but not before. Too many are the shows that have
been ruined by that kind of tinkering with the relationship of the main
characters.

Besides, I'm having too much fun being teased with the Unresulved Sexual
Tension. That scene in the car in "Tooms" was Queen Mother of all teases!

YEAH!!!

************************* THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE ****************************
Disclaimer: "Disclaim THIS, pal!" (aliens made me say it :)
Debbie Brown: debb...@delphi.com | CIS: 73042,1561 | AOL: MsSp...@aol.com
Co-host of X Files Chat - Saturdays 11PM Eastern - AOL Remote Control Room
****** 'The X Files' on Fox Friday nights... "Don't watch it alone!" ********

will berry

Apr 26, 1994, 10:45:50 AM4/26/94

>I think getting them together would ruin the show. MAYBE in the final
>episode of the series, but not before. Too many are the shows that have
>been ruined by that kind of tinkering with the relationship of the main
>characters.
>
>Besides, I'm having too much fun being teased with the Unresulved Sexual
>Tension. That scene in the car in "Tooms" was Queen Mother of all teases!

HI Debbie,
If this were my show, I'd wouldn't get them together either.
I'd have them find that they do have an intersting chemistry as with that
episode but no sex. And here's why: SCULLY IS HIS MISSING SISTER!!!!!!!!!
That would explain her almost pathological dislike of all things that
can't be explained by conventional means. She would have a memory block and
deep psychological scars that would preclude her from accepting anything
fantastic. I think we'll find she was adopted at late age. If that happens,
don't surprised if other things about her childhood start to come to light.
Well, that's my idea. What does everyone else think??? Write me privately
at Delphi as WIL...@delphi.com or in this forum. See YA....out there!!!!!

WILL

ell...@delphi.com

Apr 25, 1994, 10:01:46 PM4/25/94
Deborah Brown <debb...@delphi.com> writes:

>>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>>no no no no no no no no
>
>Count me in with a big, fat DITTO on Allan's "No".

Yes! (That is, I agree with the "no"'s!)

>Besides, I'm having too much fun being teased with the Unresulved Sexual
>Tension. That scene in the car in "Tooms" was Queen Mother of all teases!

Agreed again. I think that's the ONLY reason that I watch the show (besides
the great camera work and spooky stories).

Robert Buckley

Apr 28, 1994, 8:49:11 AM4/28/94
In article <1994Apr25.1...@cabell.vcu.edu>, dmor...@cabell.vcu.edu (David C. Morefield) writes:

|> I vote not to get Scully and Mulder together (at least not any more
|> than they are now). Their teamwork relies on the interplay of her
|> specticism, his belief and the mutual respect for each point of
|> view. I think romance could throw this
|> delicate balance off kilter. I like to think of our heroes as "The
|> Avengers" with an edge. Like Steed and Emma, there's a genuine
|> affection beneath the surface, but it springs from a mutual respect
|> that has little to do with sexual attraction.

Erm, probably not a good example. Brian Clemens, one of the head honchos behind
The Avengers said that he'd always considered that Steed and Emma had had a
passionate affair which was over by the time they appear together in the series
together.

"The Truth is Out There.... but not on terrestial TV."
{cus } ! 126 Histon Road,
rsb13@{hermes}.cam.ac.uk ! Cambridge,
{phx } ! CB4 3JP
! (0223) 461717

Ed Dravecky III

Apr 27, 1994, 11:43:42 AM4/27/94
will berry (wil...@delphi.com) wrote:
: If this were my show, I'd wouldn't get them together either.

: I'd have them find that they do have an intersting chemistry as with that
: episode but no sex. And here's why: SCULLY IS HIS MISSING SISTER!!!!!!!!!

So what happens next season? After discovering that her natural father has
gone over to the dark side of the police force, she falls for Special Agent
Han Solo? When does she adopt the Ewok? (Please let it *not* be true...)
Ed Dravecky III -is- dshe...@netcom.com | "By this time, my lungs were
Dallas--Dallas, Texas--Dallas, Texas USA! | aching for air!" -- Crow T.

Leesa J Kern

Apr 28, 1994, 11:44:41 PM4/28/94
I absolutely LOVE this idea!! It would explain the "attraction" and her
skepticism, being "afraid to believe" because then all these horrible memories
would be brought out that she's been repressing.

Oooo, I love it I love it I love it.

LeesaK

(Did I mention I love it?)

Leesa J. Kern lk...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Dept. of Sociology, OSU

The French criticize the Americans for not giving the world anything but
rock 'n' roll and Harley-Davidsons. But what else is there?" --Peter Fonda

debb...@news.delphi.com

Apr 29, 1994, 6:07:06 PM4/29/94
The best part of all of this is...

THEY LEAVE US WONDERING. :-)

God love them for not answering all our questions - what would we have
to talk about?

A show that leaves me wondering will hold my attention longer than one that
spells everything out for me. It's always been that way, thank goodness I've
found one that leaves me guessing.