First fan fiction you ever read and thoughts

PamalaSt

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Way back when, last Aug <g> I recall mentioning to a friend in a chat.

" What's Fan Fic anyway?"

Boy did I get a flood of mail !!!!!!!

After browsing thru many, many sites one story kept cacthing my eye in the
recommendations..

So the first fan fic I read was " Primal Sympathy" by Lydia Bower..

And its still a favorite :0)
Pamala
Proud Founding member of the Over 30 Philes
Stop by O3P for fan fic and other fun stuff :0)
http://members.aol.com/XayanFay/O3Phome.index.html

Peter Kreienbring

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Hey,
I read "Dance without sleeping" by Lydia Bower first and that killed me and
got me hooked!
Ciao
Dana (Dan...@excite.com)

--
-----
"You will find me, down by the river, getting high on my mortality"-Sinead
>I just came to think of it, cause the first piece of fan fiction I ever
>read is still one of my favorite ones. I accidently stumbled accross it
>while searching the net for xf sites a couple of years ago. It was, and is,
>a very shippy story called Spell by Kelli Rocherolle. I figure you know
>what I'm talking about.
>
>Even if I'm mostly in to slash these days, Spell still stands out.
>
>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?
>--
>Sage
>
>http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/2941
>Mulder Scully Krycek Romance Association

Dasha K

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
"Volition Unbound" by Rachel Anton

Nearly one year ago, exactly... *sigh*

I just about fell out of my seat, going, "Ohmygod, Mulder and Scully HAVING
SEX!"

And I was never the same again... <eg>
Dasha K.

Admitting your fanfic problem is the first step...

Shameless plug- come see Dasha K's Fanfic-O-Rama

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Studio/7367

Veronica

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99

Dasha K wrote in message <19990317155600...@ng-fi1.aol.com>...

>"Volition Unbound" by Rachel Anton
>
>Nearly one year ago, exactly... *sigh*
>
>I just about fell out of my seat, going, "Ohmygod, Mulder and Scully HAVING
>SEX!"
>
>And I was never the same again... <eg>
>Dasha K.

I had a similar experience.
Except I read "The Rarity of The Human Connection & And Several Months
Missed."

And I too fell out of my seat going: "OhmyGod! OhmyGod! Mulder and Scully
HAVING SEX!"

And then I said: "AND IN FRONT OF A POST OFFICE!"

Imagine my shock!
Imagine how fast I was hooked!

~Veronica

BethLynn

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Laura Cap's, "Shipper School".

I love humor, and Laura does it well. I don't remember how I first came upon
FanFiction. It was one of the best things to ever happen to me though, and I
appreciate *every* single person out there who contributes.

BethLynn
FEB

Gashlicrumb

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99

Sage O'Neil queried . . .

>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

*//click\\* by JC Sun. I used a search engine to find sites
containing the word 'click' (for some mundane reason that I fail to
remember) and came across this bizarre little thing. It introduced me
to the concept of serious fan fiction.

E-hem. This doubles as a recommendation. Go go go! Get thee hence!

Gashlie

KitCat

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Dasha K wrote:

> "Volition Unbound" by Rachel Anton

Sigh, this was my first too...I started with the A's on Gossamer and
this sounded good...the world tilted on its axis and I was hooked
forever.

Cat

Julie Cantrell

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Sage O'Neil wrote:
<snip>

>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

In November of 1997, I read "The Offspring" by Kelli Rocherolle. I had
heard about fanfiction, but I had never been on the internet before. When I
got connected, I read this story at The Eurisko Archive. I'll never forget
what it felt like to discover the endless possibilities of fanfic. I became
addicted and read everything I could get my hands on. Because of Kelli
Rocherolle, there will always be Lily before there ever was an Emily.

Karen Rasch's "Three Little Words" was the first story I ever saved, though.

It's strange, but even though I read fabulous new stories all of the time, I
still can't recapture the feeling I got from reading those early
discoveries.

Feeling nostalgic,
Julie :-)

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/3881/
XF Views and Phenomena

Karen Rasch

Mar 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/17/99
Sage O'Neil wrote:

> Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

In the summer of '95, a Phile friend said, "You know, I think you'd
really like fanfic." After she had explained to me exactly what fanfic
*was*, I replied, "Oh Lord. I'm already such a geek about this show. I
honestly don't think I can read stories =fans= have written about the
silly thing."

She ignored my whining, and sent me J.S. Michel's "Care Package" (still
a favorite).

For the next couple of months, I read everything I could get my hands on
(a moment of silence for Vincent's Ohio State University FTP site--the
original Gossamer).

In the fall of that year, I posted my first story. :-)

Karen

SMurphy

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Sage O'Neil wrote:
> Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

I had seen two eps and stumbled across "Sound of Windchimes" That
seriously messed with my head and affected the next few eps I saw.

I knew nothing about fanfic then.

Sharon

Invisi619

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
"12 Degrees of Seperation" by Anne Haynes. I'd heard about fanfic when E!
Online mentioned Gossamer on their Top Ten X-Files sites list. I read the
first story listed in the archive. (It was in alphabetical order. <g>)

Needless to say I was addicted to fanfic faster than a college kid to coffee.

~Marty

---------
My Web Page:
http://members.aol.com/invisi619/page/index.htm

"Any show starting with a zip code or has a creek running through it is bad
news."
---
Take NOSPAM out of address when e-mailing to me!!

Yaktyshmak

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

"And In The Darkness Bind Them" by Darkstryder. Still makes me crack up. :)

BookAngel1

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
I was spoiled in a way. Lydia Bowers Dancing Without Sleeping followed by a
friends reccomendation of The Sound of Windchimes got me hooked.

ImXFScully

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
I, too, was first inducted via "The Sound of Windchimes," which is justly both
famous and infamous around these parts. Memorable, shocking, at times
thrilling -- it definitely got me hooked.

Amy

night...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <36F042...@fox.nji.com>,
SMurphy <quee...@fox.nji.com> wrote:

> Sage O'Neil wrote:
> > Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

The first I remember reading was Sue Esty's 'All Hallows Eve' series.I barely
slept for a weekend getting that finished:)

becca

CathyLex

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

::sigh:: I guess ya never forget your first time. My first was "The Hunt" by
Rhoni Lake. I usually delete email spam without even looking at it, but for
some reason somebody emailed me a bunch of X-file links, and Rhoni's X-Filing
cabinet was on there. I clicked just for giggles and saw a link to her fanfic.

"Fanfic?" I thought, "What's fanfic?

I clicked on that link at around 8:30pm, and did not log off until 4am. The
first of many such nights. Thanks, Rhoni and all you other wonderful authors
who make me sacrifice sleep and marital stability!

Erin (c)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit The Basement Office:http://members.xoom.com/galias/erin.htm
XPFC
"Have you seen my teakettle? He's a Teakettle Teakettle. His name is
Teakettle. I use him to hunt Teakettles."
--Mom, "The Friday Files"

Johanna K Knuutinen

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Sage O'Neil <sa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

I discovered fan fiction while searching for X-files websites...
Hmmm...I can remember the first fanfic story I read, but
I won't mention the title because I thought that the story
sucked ;). However, it did make me want to read more fan fiction.
I found someone's top 20 MSRs list and it had some classic
stuff...(But not in this order, although one of the Karen Rasch stories
was number one) Three Little Words, Saying the Words, Beyond Words,
No Greater Love, The Sound of Wind Chimes, Magician...hmmm,
Greensilk, Resolve, Will to Power; This Woman, This Man;
Shadow Puppets, Father of the Bride, Deductive Reasoning,
Epithalamion, Transfers (I think)...can't remember the others :(
Anyway, after reading those twenty stories I found my way
to Gossamer. The first story I read there was 12 Degrees
of Separation...:)

--
J.K.K:

Johanna Knuutinen / http://www.helsinki.fi/~jkknuuti
jkkn...@cc.helsinki.fi / Insert clever quote here

margu...@swbell.net

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
I stumbled onto an MSR site first time off the bat. First story - "Restless,"
by Miki. Was I ever hooked...and intimidated...

Meg
--
"He should know to fall to his knees and cry, 'This man has written a
sentence: he has actually written a sentence!' -- or, if that should be an

Visit my fanfic at:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/5362/meg.html

Caroline Smith

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Julie Cantrell <cu...@zoomnet.net> wrote in article
<7cppdu$8q9$1...@remarQ.com>...

> Sage O'Neil wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

<slight snippage>

> It's strange, but even though I read fabulous new stories all of the
time, I
> still can't recapture the feeling I got from reading those early
> discoveries.
> Feeling nostalgic,

You and me both. It's been a rather wonderful four years...
On Death and Dying by Lisdean Warner was the one that IIRC took my fic
virginity.
Followed shortly afterwards by The Sound of Windchimes, the first NC17
story I sent to the university printer... twice. Oops ;-)
ADBB,
Caroline.

Amy Schatz

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99

>Sage O'Neil wrote:

> I just came to think of it, cause the first piece of fan fiction I ever
> read is still one of my favorite ones. I accidently stumbled accross it
> while searching the net for xf sites a couple of years ago. It was, and is,
> a very shippy story called Spell by Kelli Rocherolle. I figure you know
> what I'm talking about.
>
> Even if I'm mostly in to slash these days, Spell still stands out.
>

> Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

Wow...after reading everybody elses first fanfics (most of which are fairly
recent), I'm starting to feel old. <g>

I found fanfic early in X-Files' history - way back in 95 - and the first story
I ever read was "Last Light" by Agents Haines and Willis, and I was totally
hooked. I can't believe it was posted way back in July of 1995. Kinda scary.
:)

I had never heard of fanfiction before - though I had written some for other
shows. And I remember I printed out the story and took it on vacation with
me. I remember showing it to my mom, saying, "Look! People actually write
stories of their own about the show! Isn't that cool?!"

The thing about the story that got me - besides the fact that it was
well-written - was that there was some UST in it, and I had thought that that
area was totally taboo. All I knew was how the show portrayed their
relationship (mostly:), and I had only seen about half of the first season, and
was waiting for season 2. So I didn't know that other people saw the romantic
potential that M&S had. :) I enjoyed the UST so much, I went looking for more,
and was delighted to find actual MSR's! Imagine my delight way back then when
MSR's weren't as prolific as they are today. Eventually, I found "Coming Back"
(Karen Rasch), "Spell" (Kelli Rocherolle), "12 Degrees..." (Paula Graves), and
so many more wonderful writers...

But "Last Light" is a great story, and every once in a while when I'm feeling
nostalgic, I go back and re-read it. :)

Amy

Kai Nikulainen

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Don't remember which one was the very first one, but "Gemma" was one of the
first and it still is one of the very few Mulder/other stories I like.

Kaitsu

Jasmin

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Invisi619 wrote:

> "12 Degrees of Seperation" by Anne Haynes. I'd heard about fanfic when E!
> Online mentioned Gossamer on their Top Ten X-Files sites list. I read the
> first story listed in the archive. (It was in alphabetical order. <g>)
>
> Needless to say I was addicted to fanfic faster than a college kid to coffee.

Yes, "12 Degrees of Separation" was my first fan fic - XF or otherwise.
I never even realised such a world existed. I was just looking for
spoilers (six months of NO X-Files, reruns or otherwise made me very
edgy). So I'm looking and suddenly I see XF fan fiction. I become
curious and thought, what the hay, let's have a peek. I click to "The
Eurisko Archives" (random choice) and lo and behold, a new and magical
world appears. I take a look at all the names and randomly select any
name. Hmmm, Paula Graves...sounds like a nice name. So I click on to
that and WOH! I was hooked. I went to read every story that was by her
on the list. Then I started reading all the others. A few weeks later
after INTENSIVE work, I discovered the Mecca of all fanfic - Gossamer!
My world has never been the same. :::sigh happily:::

Jasmin

SWeill

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Chalk up another for 'The Sound of Windchimes". I was amazed at the quality of
writing because, somehow, I expected fanfic to be amateurish. BIG MISTAKE =]

carle...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99

> Sage O'Neil wrote:
> > Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

I was in college, looking up something on the Internet when a story on some
read that story, but my curiousity was peaked, so I went exploring. I don't
remember which story I read first, but "Words" by Karen Rasch and "The Sound
of Windchimes" were two of the first.

I remember reading "Words" and thinking, "They just had sex...Where can I find
more of this?"

"The Sound of Windchimes" messed me up. It's an awesome story, but being one
of the first ones I read, I totally was not prepared for the angst that
ensued.

Leah

_Negative Capability_, that is when man is capable of being in
uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after
fact & reason-- John Keats

Allison Green

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Amy Schatz wrote:<snip>

> Wow...after reading everybody elses first fanfics (most of which are fairly
> recent), I'm starting to feel old. <g>

I'm exactly the opposite. My first fic was Silk1023's "Shake Your Egg Thing".
Having just caught the DD/BNL segment on Leno, I'd gone onto ATXF in search of a
transcript (SOW, if you know of one, could you email it to me, please.) And someone
had said there's a great story based on it over on ATXC. Still basking in the
"afterglow," I read Lydia Bower's "Red Letter Day" <whoo-boy!> which lead to DWS
and "Primal Sympathy" (all of which I printed, designed covers for and attractively
bound <oops, my obsession's showing>). Currently, I'm reading Livengoo's "Corpse"
and Brandon D. Ray's Silver Bracelet Series. And I can't wait for the next
installment of RedThunder's WIP "Fabric of Life" <ooh, that story haunts me>.

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you for your wonderful, entertaining,
sleep-depriving stories and spot-on characterizations. Most of the stories have
been far more enjoyable than most of season 6, IMHO. Rock on, fanfic writers!

Allison

agre...@mindspring.com

[insert pithy sig here]

Angela Flinn

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
"Gemma" was my first, having stumbled across it on one of the DDEB websites
my first time out looking for X-Files stuff... and I was hooked from the
word "go". It wasn't but a couple of days before I found my first MSR...
and since then, there's been no looking back. :)

Angie

Kathy B

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99

>>> Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

Julianne Lee "Demon Within" on the DDEB3 naughtyfic site. :)

I couldn't remember anything about it other than it had Mulder wih a
succubus and apparantly his apartment likened the smell of freshly cut grass
to semen, a parallell I do not grasp in the least. :)

I was, like... 15. Eeek!

~K

Sarah Kiley

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
SaiTiau wrote:

> The first fanfic site
> I visited was the XFRomantics Top 20, and since "Sound of Wind Chimes" was #1
> on that list, I read it (yes, at the age of 15 or so <g>) and it blew my world
> away.

You're not the only one messed up by fanfic. I used to read fanfic when Anne
Haynes posted stories on the X-Files Bulletin Board on Prodigy. The first fanfic I
read was either Amulets by Julianne Scibetta, or a post-One Breath story Anne
Haynes wrote (naturally I've forgotten the name). If I'm not mistaken, both were
posted back in November of 1994. When I found Vincent's archive, the first story I
read was Auld Lang Syne-- and I spent two hours searching for a non-existant part
two-- y'know, in which Mulder dumps Henderson for Scully? (because I had no idea
that all X-Philes were not 'Shippers and really didn't understand why Henderson
and Mulder were having sex).
Sound of the Windchimes really messed with my head. The thought of it still does
(I know I'll get flamed for my next words, but I don't give a damn). How it got on
top of a *romance* list I'll never understand. I find nothing romantic about
Scully being raped by Mulder, while he's under "alien control", or her forgiving
him for it. And the whole story made me want to go take a shower and never eat
hamburgers again.
I'm glad there are warnings on stories like that that are found on gossamer so as
to protect other people from that. If I had known what the story was about, I
wouldn't have read it, and I would have been happier without those images in my
mind.

Sarah
--
Sarah Kiley
****************************

"Unlike serial killer profiling, writing is a very lonely,
and depressing profession."
-Jose Chung, "Jose Chung's 'Doomsday Defense'"

Dreamshpr

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

> Wow...after reading everybody elses first fanfics (most of which are fairly
> recent), I'm starting to feel old. <g>

And I'm starting to feel like an incredible newbie!!! I just started reading
right before Christmas! First story was one that got sent to me in a chat
room, and it was really, really bad--but I loved the idea! (as someone with
notebooks full of stories hidden away <g>)
So I found Gossamer and committed Fanfic Gluttony. I saved EVERYTHING to a
disk and read it later...but the first story I really loved was by Rachel
Anton--who ought to be proud, cause it seems she's got a lot of peoples
"firsts" or at least "first real loves" <g> Sound Of Windchimes, which has
been mentioned a lot in this thread, was the first saved to my hard drive
though...and it was the one that made me determined to write!

I have already become incredibly picky about the fics I like, though I still
start to read everything...poor grammar, a single awkward sentence, a plot I
just can't see happening at all ever on the show and generally and I'm gone
(unless I'm writing the story, in which case I don't SEE them <vbg>) Anyone
else found themselves doing that?
Dreamshaper
(drea...@aol.com)

"When friends perched haphazardly on top of pianos ask hysterically 'Am I
Sexy!?!', just nod and say yes." Jenn-the-piano-climber

SaiTiau

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Damn you all, for making me stay online and reading these wonderful
recollections instead of studying for tests, like I should <g>.

Yes, reading about all your "firsts" makes me feel nostalgic as well ...
because your experiences are all so similar to mine. My first fanfic was a
humor piece, I believe, sent to me by an online friend. The first fanfic site

I visited was the XFRomantics Top 20, and since "Sound of Wind Chimes" was #1
on that list, I read it (yes, at the age of 15 or so <g>) and it blew my world

away. Then, through recommendation, I started reading all the fanfic greats
(Anne Haynes, Karen Rasch, etc., later I was introduced to the wonderful works
of Madeline Partous, Pellinor, Dawson E. Rambo, and so much more), and the
rest, as they say, is history ;-)

Fontaine, a True Fanfic Addict

Silver-Screen List Administrator and PVPHS Class of '99
http://members.aol.com/saitiau/welcome.html

Sunflower

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99

Karen Rasch wrote about her first fanfic experiences:

>In the summer of '95, a Phile friend said, "You know, I think
you'd
>really like fanfic." After she had explained to me exactly what
fanfic
>*was*, I replied, "Oh Lord. I'm already such a geek about this
show. I
>honestly don't think I can read stories =fans= have written
about the
>silly thing."
>
>She ignored my whining, and sent me J.S. Michel's "Care Package"
(still
>a favorite).
>
>For the next couple of months, I read everything I could get my
hands on
>(a moment of silence for Vincent's Ohio State University FTP
site--the
>original Gossamer).
>
>In the fall of that year, I posted my first story. :-)

And what a good thing your friend "forced" you to read that
story! your stories are what =really= got me hooked, namely Three
Little Words and Saying the Words. And you know it, you little
devil, you! ;-)

Maria ***A Words-series addict and proud of it***

SaiTiau

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
<< Sound of the Windchimes really messed with my head. The thought of it still
does
(I know I'll get flamed for my next words, but I don't give a damn). How it got
on
top of a *romance* list I'll never understand. I find nothing romantic about
Scully being raped by Mulder, while he's under "alien control", or her
forgiving
him for it. And the whole story made me want to go take a shower and never eat
hamburgers again. >>

Yeah . . . I wouldn't define it as a "romance," either, but I guess I like dark
fantasy stories like that. I like warm'n'fuzzy MSR too, but somehow these
universes attract me. Take, for example, three of my favorite fics: "Rarity of
the Human Connection (and Several Months Missed" by MD1016, "The Hollow Man" by
Partous, and the aforementioned "Sound of Wind Chimes." All fics that portray
events that are disturbing and often bordering on the repulsive. But I like
them because they jolt me into thinking, into feeling. True, these stories got
under my skin, but at the same time they've all brought those subtle nuances we
call emotions onto the surface. One of my all-time favorite fanfic moments is
the moment at the end of SOWC where Mulder and Scully remember. Oy. I started
crying when I got to that part. It was THAT good.

Fontaine

Nadia Peters

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
it soooo nice to see that most of us enjoy similiar stories

I found fanfic in october last year - see, I'm quite new to this - although I would
say I catched up quite a lot so far...
I don't remember my first one, but I do remember that I found a link to gossamer on
the same page - that was my fate

I stumbled over your stories there, Amy. Do you know that "Elysian Fields" is still
one of my favourites?

Vehemently

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
*sigh* nostalgia. All right, I'm game.

The first thing I ever read was in December of 1994 or early '95, and
a friend emailed it to me after stumbling on the (then- Ohio State)
Gossamer. It was a long story of M&S caught in a blizzard in
Pennsylvania, ending up at the house of a psychic woman, with whom
Mulder made passionate monkey love at the bequest of aliens. Needless
to say, I made like a Saturday Night Live sketch and asked "What the
hell *was* that?" Then I said -- hey, it beats studying. I've never
found it again -- anyone recognize it?

Thems was the days, when I wandered Gossamer -- when it was small
enough to do that -- and I didn't need no stinking newsgroups. (Silly
me; I didn't discover that part of Netscape till, like, 1997.) Yeah,
I've been lurking for a lo-o-ong time.

Vee

Lauryn137

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Might as well just spit it out :)

I discovered fanfic this last July (or was it June?) when I was wandering
aimlessly about the XF message boards on AOL. I think it was a link in Shari's
signature that lead me to "A Makeshift Kiss" by Jill Selby
(http://members.sockets.net/~msselby/). I still can't believe what a doof I am
... I had been an X-Phile since Ice, *knew* what shippers and noromos were, and
collected various paraphernalia -- but I had never found fanfic. My first
online X-Phile experience was in '95 (dear lord, I was *10*) when I hung around
the message boards on Prodigy (although I can't remember it too well, so it may
very well have been ATXC). Different name and different address, though. Wish
I'd stayed :(

Lauryn

Lauryn137

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
>I think it was a link in Shari's
>signature that lead me to "A Makeshift Kiss" by Jill Selby
>(http://members.sockets.net/~msselby/).

This is where I recommend this piece wholeheartedly and thank Shari repeatedly
for linking to it.

THANK YOU :)

Lauryn
~~~~~~~
Like my address? Too bad you have to change it to reply :)
~~~~~~~
"Isn't there a book called 'Sex in the Snow'?"
"That's one way to melt it ..."
"But wouldn't you be cold?"
"Not for long!"

MareZX

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Can something that happened less than 5 years ago really be called nostalgia?
<g>

First fic? Let's see... hmm... Way back when, when I was new to the whole
online thing and hadn't yet ventured out onto the big bad Web (and newsgroups?
what the heck were those? <g>), I used to hang around AOL's XF Forum message
boards. (This was probably back around Dec. 94 or so.) There used to be a
board called "Genrebenders" or something like that (don't remember the exact
name) where people would post stories using XF characters in the styles of
other... stuff. All sorts of stuff. (Any other AOHellers remember this
board?)

At this point I was still in my "Fanfic? What the hell is fanfic?" phase
(never mind that, 10 years before, I used to *write* MASH fanfic, without ever
knowing what to call it <g>), but this board looked intriguing. A lot of it
was humor fic -- XF stories in the style of Nancy Drew mysteries, or the Star
Wars movies. (I only remember the title of the Star Wars one -- "The
Government Strikes Back," and the author of the Nancy-Drew-type one: Penni G.)
That somehow led me, a few months later, to EMXC, where my first proper fic
was one of the Howned stories ("Home From the Hill," I think, by Karen
Enriquez).

Oddly enough, to this day, I still prefer humor and case fic to any other type.
First impressions really are lasting impressions, aren't they?

Mare

Jintian Li

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
I was only moderately into XF, around 1997-98, when I came across some fanfic
sites on the Web. I found Gossamer soon after, and started with the A's. The
first story I remember was The Actor, by A.I. Irving. I was astounded that
someone would write a story about Scully's relationship with a Patrick Stewart
look-alike (a very sexual one at that--I had no idea people would even bother
to write that way about TV characters, but boy did I like it!), and then leave
a romantic resolution with Mulder still up in the air. It was a snowball
effect from there. By the time I stayed up two consecutive nights to finish
Dawson Rambo's ELS, there was no turning back.

I have some other related questions, as long as we're on the nostalgia track.

Who did you first send feedback to? (Mine was to Nascent, for Theory &
Practice. Believe it or not I'd been reading for months but it was the first
one that made me get off my lazy ass and write back.)

Second, where <did> XF fanfic start anyway? I'm sorry if this is really
ancient history, or if it's been brought up before, but I've only started to
peruse this ng and I'm extremely interested in the subject. I know the Ohio
State site was an early one, but who were the first authors who posted to atxf
(I heard somewhere that fanfic was posted there first, and then atxc was
created)? Were the first stories predominantly X-file types or romances or
vignettes? If anyone can remember back that far, or could suggest keywords
with which I can search the Deja News archives for example, I'd really
appreciate it.

Take care everyone,

Jintian
<jint...@usa.net>

Julie Cantrell

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
Jintian Li wrote :

>Who did you first send feedback to? (Mine was to Nascent, for Theory &
>Practice. Believe it or not I'd been reading for months but it was the
first
>one that made me get off my lazy ass and write back.)

Nicole Perry for the Road Series.

I, too, had been reading fanfic for a while when I decided to send feedback.
Early on, I was intimidated by fanfic writers because they were doing
something that I felt that I could never do. I think was part of the reason
why I never sent feedback.

However, I have to add that Nicole was very sweet and returned my message.
Encouraged, I wrote her again and asked her some questions about her stories
and the decisions she made while writing them. She answered all my
questions and made my first experience with feedback (as a reader) a
positive one. She's a very gracious lady and I appreciate that she took the
time to write me back.

Julie :-)

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/3881/
XF Views and Phenomena

Bjm1352

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Sage asked:

>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

First of all, my public thanks to AllthingsX for introducing me to fanfiction!
My life will never be the same... :: sighs happily ::

I only got online in November of 1998, but believe me I have been making up for
lost time! <g>

I honestly don't recall the very very first piece of fanfic I read. However, I
will =never= forget that the first fic that really knocked me on my ass was
"Dance Without Sleeping" by Lydia Bower. It is still the yardstick against
which I measure all other fic.

BJM

(please send e-mail to: bjm1354(at)aol.com)
* * * * * * * * * * * *
"Scully?" "Yes?" "Marry me."
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be
satisfied. (Matthew 5:6)
* * * * * * * * * * * *

Arcadian

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
In <19990320011154...@ng-fc1.aol.com> bjm...@aol.com9999

(Bjm1352) writes:

>Sage asked:
>
>>Care to tell me of your first fan fiction encounter?

The first fanfic I read and knew I was reading fanfic (I'd written the
stuff since age 9, and had friends who wrote stories to pass around)
was this terrible piece of ST:TNG fanfic called "Perchance to Dream." I
thought "I do better then THIS!" and writing even more furiously.
Didn't get into publishing and posting fanfic until I wrote to a
well-connected DS9 fan who set me up with a ton of zines.

-Jessica

DaviesUK

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
"The Sound Of Windchimes" by Sarah Stegall. Read it in Spring 1995, the day we
hooked up to the net. I'd never heard of fanfic before that, but life was never
the same again.

"Triangle" - we get the kiss.
In the gloom. But you can't have everything.....

Please remove SPAMNOT from the address to reply :-)

JourneyToX

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Ah, my firsty.

"The Abyss Looks Back" by Kronos.

I figure I pretty much started at the top.

I read some of this and that after that. Then I found Red Valerian's
Skinnerotica site.

Oh yeah. :-)

*~*~*~*~*~*
Journ...@aol.com
My URL? It's on the move. Watch this space for more information!
"God Bless America! Now get your asses out of here!" 1939!Skinner, Triangle
"Oh yeahhhh!" Mitch Pileggi, Season 3 Gag Reels. :-)

Kai Nikulainen

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Vehemently kirjoitti viestissä <36F2AE0E...@yahoo.com>...

>The first thing I ever read was in December of 1994 or early '95, and
>a friend emailed it to me after stumbling on the (then- Ohio State)
>Gossamer. It was a long story of M&S caught in a blizzard in
>Pennsylvania, ending up at the house of a psychic woman, with whom
>Mulder made passionate monkey love at the bequest of aliens. Needless
>to say, I made like a Saturday Night Live sketch and asked "What the
>hell *was* that?" Then I said -- hey, it beats studying. I've never
>found it again -- anyone recognize it?

Sounds like "Generation X".

Kaitsu

Nascent

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

Here's where I throw in my $.02 and where I date myself as a relative newbie.
My first was officially "Banging Your Head Against a Red-Haired Brick
Wall" by Blair Provence, and it's a good thing too, because I was
prepared to dislike fanfic intensely. It was intelligent, funny, and
captured what I wanted to see in the characters.

What made me stay, though, was the second piece I read--to this day I
can't remember how I bumped into it, because looking back I'm surprised I
took on a longer piece (though now I am forever a casefile fan).
"Acadia" by RivkaT, still one of my all-time favorites.

Nascent

Stonewar

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99

> First fic (and I mean all fan fic not just Xfiles) I read was "possesions" By
> Rachel Anderson. I found it while looking for info on those Mary Russell/Sherlock
> Holmes books. She thanked be for my feed back and pointed me to Jill Selby's page
> who in turn pointed me to Dawson Rambo's page and I read every thing!

(And if you recall me posting last summer reading the above got me fired from my
last job. I'm happy to report that I am still gainfully employed and they have no
idea That I have an addiction. Especially since I'm not using company resourses and
time to read the above)

Canny one-armed audio-visual manipulation, nagging the whiny amorality of
his superiors, chauffeuring the Syndicate kids to and from their assignments,
always ready to lend a hand with the stiletto or be there for someone's "first
time." Alex Krycek: Soccer Mom of the Consortium.
--From Amanda Finch's My Two Slightly Mundane Dads

Stonewar's Reality http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/5512/

JLDolphin

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
>>Wow...after reading everybody elses first fanfics (most of which are fairly
recent), I'm starting to feel old. <g><<

If starting to read fanfic in '95 is old then I must be ancient. I've been
reading fanfic for almost 15 yrs. It's much nicer now, I don't have to wait
6 months till the next convention to buy the lastest fanzines. Now I get
anxious if I don't have any new stories to read every few days.

My 1st XF fanfic that I remember was as soon as I became a fan of the show
because I new it already existed. 12 Degrees, Generations Series (by
MacSpooky) and yes - Sound of Windchimes are the 1st stories that come to mind.

JLDolphin
Jill, I'll-do-it-tomorrow Twit

Retzkb

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Having read all 58 posts here so far...

I feel like a great-grandmother for christ's sake!

My first fanfic? Gardener's Craft by Connie Willis, 1974! I still have the
zine this story is in (the reason I still own the zine, really) and got a
chance to embarrass her about it about 10 years ago at MediaWest*Con when I was
on a panel. Oh, it's a Trek TOS story. Deals with cloning of all things!

If you've seen my bedroom bookcase, you'd know I've been hooked ever since--and
I've even sold off several boxes of zines in the last few years! Thank God for
the Internet! I could NEVER afford to feed my addiction these past 6 years
without Gossamer and the QL Creative archives!

The first XF Story I read was Livengoo's QL/XF Crossover, then Witness--that
messy QL/XF/Starman/KF:TLC/Highlander Crossover story. Wild and wacky! I
found the Gossamer address via the QL newsgroup four years and hurried to catch
up. I hung out here a bit several years ago, but just came back after
Tithonus--I could no longer wait for Gossamer to "catch up" with all the
post-ep stories!

For the most part it's been fun. I have a HUGE tolerance for language mistakes
(after reading and editing fanzines for over 20 years, you build up a
tolerance). What's a few typos if the story is good?? I ventured from Trek
into Star Wars fanfic, then into Simon & Simon and Magnum stuff. Then I found
The Professionals (best slash stuff around, sorry!). Quantum Leap was next.
Lately it's been X-Files. Scares me what's next around the corner once this
show ends in 2000. I only hope it's something worthy!

I haven't written fanfic in over 8 years, but I have been puttering around with
several XF things. Dare I venture into this arena? It's been AGES! It's kind
of daunting after all these years...

Kathleen
"I'd kiss ya if you weren't so damn ugly." --Dana Scully, "Dreamland II"

CHANEL LINTHICUM

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
My first fanfic was Hunter by bluebird . I read it back in 96 she
never did finish the story though it was really good

A kiss about apple pie a' la mode with vanilla creaminess melting in the
pie heat. A kiss about chocolate, when you haven't eaten chocolate in a
year. A kiss about palm trees speeding by, trailing pink clouds when
you drive down the Strip sizzling with champagne. A kiss about
spotlights fanning the sky and the swollen sea spilling like tears all
over your legs. -Weetzie Bat -Francesca Lia Block

ct1...@cnsvax.albany.edu

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Hardball by Missy Pennington.

I came to fanfic late-- didn't really think it was my thing. I think maybe I
was weirded out by the concept of using someone else's characters (not only
someone else's but also that they were tv characters) and writing fic with
them. Then someone sent me this, and I wanted more stuff like it. After that
I read Gizzie's Messenger series and I was lost. I saw that these weren't
just knockoffs of someone else's stories but works of literary art
themselves. And I wanted more!!! So now more than a year later I'm still
hooked. These days I read more fanfic than books, and I hold many of the
fanfic authors on equal footing with the X-files writers themselves.

Btw, both stories are excellent and highly recommended.

Carolin (whose news server is down, yet again.)
MM: Empath, KotSP, HPo1-900-number!Mulder
"All right, I'm afraid. But it's an irrational fear."

---Scully, The Ghost Who Stole Christmas

CkXxSw007

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
I'd never even watched X-Files when I read my first fanfic. I was reading X-Men
fanfic and someone wrote an X-Men/X-Files crossover. It was really good. It was
called Strange Encounter by Valerie Jones. It was so good that I watched
X-Files and became hooked, and of course have read an abundance of fanfic since
then.

JLDolphin

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
>> I ventured from Trek into Star Wars fanfic, then into Simon & Simon and
Magnum stuff. Then I found The Professionals (best slash stuff around,
sorry!). Quantum Leap was next Lately it's been X-Files. Scares me what's

next around the corner once this show ends in 2000. I only hope it's something
worthy!<<

Hi Kathleen, it's great to find someone else who's also read a lot of different
fandoms. And you're right, The Professionals has the best slash I've ever
found. (Of course since most of fanfic is slash you've got a lot to choose
from. <g> )

NojoRojo

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
"Veronica" <hea...@home.com> writes:

>I had a similar experience.
>Except I read "The Rarity of The Human Connection & And Several Months
>Missed."
>

>And I too fell out of my seat going: "OhmyGod! OhmyGod! Mulder and Scully
>HAVING SEX!"
>
>And then I said: "AND IN FRONT OF A POST OFFICE!"
>
>Imagine my shock!
>Imagine how fast I was hooked!

Yep...my first time was with Sarah Stegall's "The Sound of Windchimes."

My reaction? "Mulder with a purple, glistening erection?!?!? I didn't even have
time to get used to the idea that he had a penis!!!!!!!!!!"

Obviously, I've gotten over *that* little hang-up.

~ Holly, smut connoisseur
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Cafe UST Co-founder and High Priestess ~
~ Cupidian, Keeper of Trevor's Popeye-like Forearms and his X-Files Reference ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amy Seymour

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

***
Karen Rasch was my "first," too. I sent feedback (before I knew
feedback was cool!) and she replied with something to the effect of,
"Oh, if you think *I* am good, you should read..."

I still have that list, somewhere.

Anne Haynes was next, and she replied similarly, with *her* list of
rec's. That was...jeez - almost two years ago??? Good grief. It's been
fun. I've even posted a few fics myself now!

-A

storml...@hotmail.com

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
The first X-File fan fiction I ever read was "Twelve Degrees of Separation" by
Paula Graves.

My first thought about it was roughly along the lines of "art inspires art".

Hester
pagan chick

Carolin

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

You know I got a non-X-phile friend of mine hooked on the X-files MSRs.
She still won't watch the show but she's ead I think more fanfic than I
get a chance to. I guess that's a measure of a good story when the person
who doesn't even like the show will spend hours online cause the story is
good. She won't convert, I have made her watch. The genre is not her
type. She admits it's a good show and all but...I know, I know, there's
just something wrong with her. <g>

Carolin

Jade

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
My first fic I discovered by accident wandering through Mystic's website
musta been around fall of 97' or so. Anyway I had no idea what fanfic was
so when I clicked on a link to her series *It Just Happened*
Oh boy, was I hooked. Mulder and Scully married....with kids. Huh. Well I
just had to do some investigating. I printed out all like 36 of the
chapters and set to work. Someone at school would ask me what I was
reading. "Oh umm... it's um.. and email, yeah that's it."
"someone sent you a 20 page email?", "Uh....yeah.", "ooooooookay." The
teachers were not too happy that I was reading during their talks however.
Hmm maybe that's why I failed my Junior year. And dropped out and .... come
to think of it that story ruined my life!!! Aww, I'm just kidding it didn't
ruin my life...I still have one friend, right Fred.....Fred?

Well at anyrate I owe Mystic a great debt of gratitude. She worked wonders
on this imagination of mine. And still keeps me running back for more
whenever she adds on to that wonderful story.

Mystic's *It Just Happened*

BTW in case you haven't noticed this is a huge rec. Go check it out it's
awesome.

~Jade

RedThunder

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Wow, I just saw this. One of my stories in the same post with stories by
authors of this caliber? Talk about making my day:)

Thanks!
RedThunder

In article <36F177CB...@mindspring.com>,
Allison Green <agre...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Amy Schatz wrote:<snip>

> > Wow...after reading everybody elses first fanfics (most of which are fairly
> > recent), I'm starting to feel old. <g>
>

> I'm exactly the opposite. My first fic was Silk1023's "Shake Your Egg Thing".
> Having just caught the DD/BNL segment on Leno, I'd gone onto ATXF in search of a
> transcript (SOW, if you know of one, could you email it to me, please.) And someone
> had said there's a great story based on it over on ATXC. Still basking in the
> "afterglow," I read Lydia Bower's "Red Letter Day" <whoo-boy!> which lead to DWS
> and "Primal Sympathy" (all of which I printed, designed covers for and attractively
> bound <oops, my obsession's showing>). Currently, I'm reading Livengoo's "Corpse"
> and Brandon D. Ray's Silver Bracelet Series. And I can't wait for the next
> installment of RedThunder's WIP "Fabric of Life" <ooh, that story haunts me>.
>
> I'd just like to say thanks to all of you for your wonderful, entertaining,
> sleep-depriving stories and spot-on characterizations. Most of the stories have
> been far more enjoyable than most of season 6, IMHO. Rock on, fanfic writers!
>
> Allison
>
> agre...@mindspring.com
>
> [insert pithy sig here]

The Spooky Awards Site
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/6504/index.html
My Fanfiction
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/1419/redthunder/index.html

RedThunder

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Well, I'm not sure if this got through the first time, but, just in case...

Wow...seeing me in the same post as these wonderful author's has just made my day
(heck, it made my week:) Thanks!

RedThunder

Pamela T. Pon

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
Retzkb <ret...@aol.com.duh> wrote:
>Having read all 58 posts here so far...
>
>I feel like a great-grandmother for christ's sake!
>
>My first fanfic? Gardener's Craft by Connie Willis, 1974!

/WMM/ My GOD! /WMM/

A successful, published author who once wrote FANFIC?!
What's the world coming to????

;-D

>The first XF Story I read was Livengoo's QL/XF Crossover,

Title? Location?

>then Witness--that messy QL/XF/Starman/KF:TLC/Highlander Crossover story.

Is this on Gossamer?

>I ventured from Trek into Star Wars fanfic, then into Simon & Simon and
>Magnum stuff. Then I found The Professionals (best slash stuff around,

>sorry!). Quantum Leap was next. Lately it's been X-Files. Scares me

>what's next around the corner once this show ends in 2000.
>I only hope it's something worthy!

My first fanfic, I have no idea. Probably something in a TOS or TNG zine
that happened to have eye-catching cover art -- but since I never liked
TOS or TNG much, I wouldn't count that, since I never liked the stories
enough to actually BUY the zines. (I just liked the covers. ;-)
The first fanfic I *enjoyed* would probably be something in a
QUANTUM LEAP zine, especially around the time when QUANTUM LEAP/BEAUTY
& THE BEAST crossovers were popular (with everyone wanting to "fix" the
last Catherine episode, of course ;-). Or maybe it was THE SANDBAGGERS.

/tangent/
(I'm still waiting for *someone* to write some dark, angsty,
straight *or* slashy SANDBAGGERS/X-FILES crossovers, folks. Think of
the possibilities [with time displacement as necessary, of course] ...
burnt-out Burnside-haunted-by-Laura angsting as he watches M&S UST or MSR
... Burnside/Krycek ... Burnside/Skinner [YeoW!] ... Burnside/Frank
Black ... Burnside/Peter Watts ... Willie/Diana or /Marita or /Scully
[I have difficulty picturing Willie in non-hetero pairings] ... Michael
Cashman's character/Krycek or /Pendrell or /Spender or /Mulder or /Scully
[yes, I know Cashman is gay -- but his character wasn't, and Anderson has
played a woman in love with a gay man before ... and besides, they would
both be just so *cute* together!]. Oh, my God. Any authors out there
ready to discover a "new" old Brit-TV fandom? I'll lend you tapes! 8-)
/tangent/

The first slash fic I ever read was probably inadvertently a
BLAKES 7 (even if I was *really* searching for WISEGUY slash at the time).
I distinctly remember reading a fic called something like "Between a Rock
and a Hard Place" about Servalan chained to a rock and being discovered
by Avon, which was in a zine with "slash" warnings (referring to *other*
stories in the same zine) -- thus giving me the mistaken impression that
the "slash" term referred to BDSM rather than to same-sex pairings! ;-D
The first slash fic I ever deliberately sought out & enjoyed was
probably online Garak/Bashir, simply because Garak & Bashir's on-screen
friendship predated THE X-FILES' 2nd-season abduction arc by 2 years.
As a result, Garak/Bashir fics were being written & devoured for
a full 2 years before Krycek (and thus, XF slash) ever existed.
(Yes, I know Skinner predated Krycek, but not by many months
-- and I get the impression that the first ever online Krycek slash
probably predated the first ever online Skinner slash. Did it?)

***
Danger, excitement, sudden death. Be a Sandbagger!
-- bumpersticker
**
* Monday on DUE SOUTH: "Diefenbaker's Day Off" * 6 pm EST & PST on TNT *

Retzkb

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99
<<>The first XF Story I read was Livengoo's QL/XF Crossover,

Title? Location?

>then Witness--that messy QL/XF/Starman/KF:TLC/Highlander Crossover story.

Is this on Gossamer?>>

Yes, both are on Gossamer, though Livengoo's QL/XF Crossover has lots of
missing text. You can find it complete on the QL Fanfic Archive at:
ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ql-archive/alt.ql.creative. Start at the FTP menu and
enter it there. I am currently clueless as to the title of Livengoo's story,
but if you head to Gossamer and do an author search, you'll find it. All her
stuff is good--wordy at times, but good. I enjoyed Corpse and Camping was a
hoot!

Witness is also fun, but it helps to understand all of the fandoms. Oh, that
Canadian show about a Vampire Cop is also part of the mix. What a mess! But
lots of fun in a weird, suspend that disbelief sort of way.

Enjoy!