NEW: Amazes me (1/1) by Jeannine Ackerson

Gil Trevizo

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96
to a.t.x.c.

I DID NOT WRITE THIS - I am the administrator for the x-files-fanfic
mailing list and am posting this story for a subscriber. For information
on the mailing list, go to http://mail.utep.edu/~trevizo/x-files.

Please do not send comments for the author to me -- send them to
(taka...@slip.net). You may direct requests for missing parts to me
though, but please try to find them at the archives first:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/xfilesfanficarchive.d/contents.htm
http://www.bns.com.au/alee/fiction.html
http://www2.iwn.fi/x-files/
http://gossamer.simplenet.com/

__________
/ __ __ \
( (__) (__) )
--------[[[---------]]]-------------------------------------------------

Author's note 1: I've heard that my posts in the past have not always
come through properly. Since *I* always received the posts in perfect
condition, I didn't have a clue. My utmost apologies. I will attempt to
rectify this problem from here on out. Sorry. J.

From: J. Ackerson <taka...@slip.net>

Subject: New story - Amazes Me

Rating: G.

Spoiler warning: One each for "Herrenvolk", "The Field Where I Died"
and "Unruhe".

Disclaimer: The X-Files as well as the characters portrayed therein
areproperty of C. Carter, FOX Brdcst. & 1013. (I'm not making any $$
here FOX so I don't have anything for you to sue me for!) Also, "Your
Love Amazes Me" by John Berry isn't mine.

VRA. Relationship: Lots of MSR. Anti-relationshippers should skip
merrily away from this story, singing their anti-shipper songs. <g>

Hi All! Here we are, my "A" installment for my alphabet "files". (Yeah, I
know you were all wondering where it was, right?!) Anyhow, FYI: This
is set in 1997, one year from now, and I'm not giving away the plot.
(Nope, uh uh, no way!) Just know it's sweet and romantic. But let's
get on to the story . . .

Amazes Me
By Jeannine Ackerson

For all the women he'd known, all the women of flesh and blood or of
cellulose like his videos, there wasn't another woman on the planet
like Dana Scully.

He was a lucky man. He got to be with her, work with her. Every day.
Side by side at all hours of the day and night.

And tonight he was having dinner with her.

So Fox Mulder sat there in one of the classiest restaurants in D.C.,
one with linen tablecloths, candles and menus that didn't have prices
and waited. And as he waited for her, he thought about the things that
made him love her.

She was beautiful. That was a given. He'd always known that, right
from the first moment. But it wasn't just the stunning red hair, or the
fair skin, or the liquid blue eyes or that perfect mouth. It was her
insides too. The generous heart, the brilliant mind, the caring soul. He
loved all of her.

She was strong. They'd been through tough times together. They had
stood by each other through so much. She'd saved his butt more
times than even *he* could recall. She was his strength when he had
none. She always would be.

She was compassionate, and often wore her heart on her sleeve.
They'd found comfort from each other in the darkest of hours. He had
broken down in her arms at his mother's bedside. She had let him
take her in his when her sister died, and then in Minneapolis, because
of Donnie Pfaster. But through it all, they'd survived because they
were together.

She was talented. Not only was she skilled in her profession as a
forensic pathologist, her abilities as an agent had never failed to
impress him. The way she could put things together. Her stubborn
determinedness, her skepticism, her faith in science. How she could
stare down U.S. Generals, State Senators and mass murderers. She
never ceased to amaze him.

With a silent sigh, his mind went involuntarily to darker thoughts. He
thought about what he'd do without her. He'd nearly lost her. More
times than he wanted to consider.

The last one that stood out vividly in his mind had been Gerry
Schnauz. And it had scared him badly. Instead of his normal concern,
he'd fallen quickly into self-recrimination and depression. He'd
frantically searched for her, wracking his mind for the lead he needed
to find her.

Then when he finally did, he'd ripped at the metal door of the trailer.
When that didn't work, he took a metal pipe to it, breaking it open,
and then he'd shot their suspect without a second thought. He hadn't
cared about anything other than getting her back.

But most of all, he thought with a smile, Dana Katherine Scully *loved*
him. With a fierceness and totality that awed him. It put his own
feelings to shame.

So he sat there, waiting for her to arrive. He'd mailed her a formal
invitation to her place, edged in gold asking her to meet him for
dinner. He brushed down the lapels of his charcoal suit jacket, then
tugged on his dark burgundy tie. He was respectable for a change. A
small concession for her.

Over in the bar part of the restaurant he heard the pianist start up a
new set. The tune was familiar, and he searched his memory to find
the title. Once he'd seized on it, his photographic memory allowed him
to literally see the words in his head. They could have been written by
him, and were more than fitting.

//"I've seen the seven wonders of the world
I've seen the beauty of diamonds and pearls
But they ain't nothing baby
Your love amazes me

I've seen a sunset that could make you cry
Colors of a rainbow reaching cross the sky
The moon in all its phases
But your love amazes me"//

He closed his eyes and let the memory of the lyrics and the tune wind
it's way through his mind. He smiled slightly thinking about the woman
who inspired his thoughts. Inspired him.

//"Don't you ever doubt this love of mine
You're the only one for me
You give me hope, you give me reason
You give me something to believe in
Forever, faithfully
Your love amazes me

I prayed for miracles that never came
I got down on my knees out in the pouring rain
But only you could save me
Your love amazes me"//

She had saved him. Numerous times. From the Consortium, the
government, and assundry criminals. But most importantly, from
himself. It was true, he'd prayed for Samantha's return, and he still
hadn't received that wish. But Dana . . . something or someone had
made sure she kept coming back to him.

Like when he'd done that hypno-regression session. Afterwards he
realized that there were too many holes in his accounts for it to be
real, but one thing had made itself evident. He had wanted to believe
Scully had been with him in those past lives. Had made sure she was
there beside him, in some role. After that, he had found it impossible
to deny the fact that their souls belonged together.

//"Don't you ever doubt this love of mine
You're the only one for me
You give me hope, you give me reason
You give me something to believe in
Forever, faithfully
Your love amazes me"//

Among all the things he'd seen; aliens and UFO's, conspiracies and
genetic mutants, the one thing that did constantly surprise and amaze
him was his partner. The woman he loved more than he could ever
express.

Suddenly as the music ended she stood before him. Her flowing teal
satin dress covered everything important, leaving everything up to his
imagination. Which was fine by him. His imagination filled in the
blanks quite nicely.

He looked at her hand resting on the back of the chair opposite him.
Took note of the delicate fingers, and a gold and aquamarine ring on
her finger. It was stunning. It matched her eyes.

Quickly he got up and pulled the chair out for her, letting her sit and
pushing it in for her. When he returned to his own seat, he found her
hidden behind the menu, and frowned unconsciously. It looked like
she was avoiding his gaze for the moment. Then she dropped the
menu to the table, and caught his eyes.

She smiled across the table at him, looking gloriously happy. But that
was the way she normally was nowadays. Smiling, lighthearted,
happy. Joy and happiness did that to a person. He knew that for a
fact. Because they both were happy. And had been for a while now.

They'd been happy ever since he'd told her, and she'd told him. Since
that day he'd knelt at her side. Since the day they'd stood together
with their hearts, souls and hands together.

Yes, they'd both been happy since they'd admitted they loved each
other, since he'd asked her to marry him, and especially since they'd
stood in the church a year before and said the vows that had made
them husband and wife.

Reaching over, he caught her hand in his, brushing his fingers over
her wedding ring. Then he smiled back, and softly said what he never
imagined he'd ever be able to say to her.

"Happy Anniversary."

-End-

Author's note 2: I just had to write about my insights on Unruhe and
TFWID. There was just so much romance that could be construed in
between the commercials and in between the lines. But of course, my
family says I'm just a incurable romantic. J.

Author's note 3: I have posted a bunch of stories already that are
counted in the Alphabet files. Please see the archives for them. They
are as follows: B - Bases Loades, C - Circumstantial Evidence (or)
Covenant with the Devil, E - Enduring Visions, F - Faith in Believing
(or) Faith in Believing Too (or) Fly, G - Give my Heart, I - If That's
What it Takes (or) It's All Coming Back to Me Now, L - Long as I Live,
M - Masked Moments, S - Sam Answers (or) Seductive Visions, V - Visions,
and W - When You Say Nothing at All.