"Chermera" by Mary Ruth Keller Part 27 of 45

Mary Keller

Sep 9, 2020, 4:21:13 PM9/9/20
=====o==================================
"Chermera" by Mary Ruth Keller Part 27 of 45
E-mail: mrke...@eclipse.net, mrkel...@gmail.com
PG-13 X-File: Myth-arc Disclaimed in Part I
Already sent to Gossamer
=====o============================o=====

Chapter VI – Living in Harmony

-----o-----------------------------------o-----

The ex-Sheriff is thrown into the saloon to land at the feet of the Judge.

Judge: (bangs whiskey glass on table) Let justice be done!

A jury assembles as the ex-Sheriff stands and frees himself of the ropes used to drag him back into town.

Judge: (picks up gavel, bangs twice) Order! Order! Court is in session!

Ex-Sheriff: Charge?

Judge: Against you, none. You were only held in protective custody. You're free to go.

Silently, the ex-Sheriff turns slowly to leave.

Judge: The People of Harmony against Katherine Johnson! Will the accused step forward? You are accused of aiding a prisoner to escape. How do you plead?

Katherine says nothing.

Townsmember: Judge, you just said he weren't a criminal. He was bein' held in protective custody.

Judge: She didn't know that.

Townsmember silently steps back.

Judge: How do you plead?

Katherine again says nothing.

Cut to the town square.

The townspeople wait inside the saloon. As the judge checks his watch, the jury files back in.

Judge: Have you reached a verdict?

Foreman: We have, Your Honor.

Judge: Do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty?

Foreman: Guilty.

Judge: We'll pass sentence later. Take her away.

Katherine is led off. The Judge joins the ex-Sheriff, who has just asked the bartender for a whiskey.

Judge: When you work for me, I'll let her go.

Ex-Sheriff: You're a bad judge.

Judge: We'll see. We'll see.

The Kid, who had been waiting by the horse trough, walks into the Saloon, places his top hat on the bar, then wordlessly slides his second gun over to the ex-Sheriff, who is still drinking his whiskey. The ex-Sheriff ignores it, eventually looking at the Kid. The Kid repeatedly tries to force a shootout on the ex-Sheriff, finally grazing the ex-Sheriff's face and hand.

Judge: (enters, stopping the Kid) Hold it! I've been looking for you, Kid. I've decided to offer you your old job back. Go and take care of the jail.

Ex-Sheriff: (slides the second gun back to the Kid) It takes two of these to take care of a woman.

The Kid tries to shoot the ex-Sheriff, but the Judge blocks him.

Judge: There's always another time.

The Kid takes up his gun and hat and leaves.

Judge: The Kid's real fond of Kathy, but he does tend to get over-affectionate.

Ex-Sheriff: If anything happens, it will be paid for.

Judge: Nothing would happen if you were Sheriff.

Living in Harmony

-----o-----------------------------------o-----

Fluid Dynamics Lab
Scripps Institute of Oceanography
La Jolla, CA
Friday, June 19, 1998, 7:51 pm

Guided by his partner's hands, Mulder staggered out, back the way they had come. He could barely see, or hear, or think. Putting one foot in front of the other took all the mental energy he had. Without remembering passing outside, they were by the Taurus, she shielding his head as he fell into the passenger seat as if he were a handcuffed suspect. He numbly watched her buckle him in, close the door, then climb behind the wheel. His gaze shifted to the concrete brick wall of Sandra's laboratory as a man in a turban, with several others he vaguely recognized as graduate students, approached the Taurus. Scully was speaking to them, something about a celebration, about offering support to someone, but he paid no attention to the words. He heard the sadness in her tone; knew the little group was dispersing, to where, he remained unconcerned. It was as if he were at the bottom of a hole, the dirt pouring in on top of him, but he cared not that he only had to stand to reach the top, to crawl out. He felt nothing as she turned the key, then they drove away.

--o-0-o--

roof of Northern Trust Tower
along La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:09 pm

Luther spoke into the headset resting snug against his cheek. "Okay, I see them coming. The blinker is on. They're turning in here. Your code got that right."

'Ace''s voice was soft in his ear. "Okay. They didn't even slow down at my location, so it's your show. There's a 75% probability they'll pull into the Bank of America parking lot, so you'll have a clear shot of the passenger seat. Take it when you can."

Since the long summer day was falling into twilight, the balding operative rotated his IR goggles in his headset to view through them. "She's driving."

"There was a 40% probability of that. You'll have to try to get them out of the car with the strobe. Mulder won't be able to resist checking it out."

Without raising the protruding lenses, he lifted the lamp out of his backpack, then rested it on the gravel next to him. "She's coming." He swiveled the silencer onto the barrel. "No, she's turning left into the parking garage. I've lost the shot."

"Then get down to the upper balcony. They're 80% likely to drive to one of the upper floors where they can minimize the risk of attack by an assailant on foot while they converse, so you should be able to target them from there. You'll be in the dark where you are, and they'll be in light, so you should have a clear aim. Get moving! Now!"

His rifle tucked under his arm, Luther scrambled to the roof access. "How do I get onto the balcony without setting off alarms?"

He heard a few clicks. "The main power control for the alarm system is right there as you leave the roof. The owners thought they were being clever by putting it where it was hardest to get to from the ground."

"But, what about a guard?"

A soft snort of derision entered his ear. "That's what made this building so perfect. The tenants went penny-wise, deciding they could cheap out by depending only on electronic surveillance. I've long since tapped the secure network back to the company they use when we decided to try this, so I can induce a fake all-clear to cover you when you take out the alarm system. They weren't expecting anyone could stick a landing on that big 15 on the roof the way you did when you parachuted in."

"The old man's military exercises were good for that, at least." He chuckled as he peered in through the smoked glass in the door. "Yeah, I see it." He placed the tip of the silencer against the keyhole in the deadbolt, then pulled the trigger. The cylinder in the interior knob exploded in fragments that crunched under his boots as he entered. He repeated his actions with the padlock on the steel wall-mounted box for the alarm controls, shredding one arm of the shackle. A flick of the barrel, then the body of the lock fell to the concrete. A tap on the main toggle sent the lights on the panel dark. "I'm in. I'm headed down." As he descended, he thought briefly about the evidence he was leaving behind in the flattened rounds, but he was out of time to retrieve them. Nor would it, he realized, matter. If all went well, there would be bullets left in the flesh of a certain agent, but, without his weapon, nothing could be tied back to him or the Organization.

--o-0-o--

along La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:11 pm

Dana Scully was driving, her hands gripping and releasing the steering wheel. She hit her fifth speed dial button before holding the cell to her ear. "Sir? It's Agent Scully. We just left Sandra Miller's lab, and we have information we need to follow up on. We will try to make it in by ten, but this may take a few hours longer. Donato and Gonzales can handle the investigation on their own. They're the most up to speed of the SDPD officers on Luther. Okay." A tight, unseen, smile stretched her lips. "We will report in as soon as possible."

The shout of anxiety that hovered behind the professional speech reached the dark-haired man, straightening him from his crouch. {She's treating me like a suspect! She thinks I'm nuts!}

"Mulder?" She reached over to grasp, then release, his hand. "Mulder, talk to me."

He just stared at her. {She's always thought I'm irrational, unstable. Sandra does too. They all do.}

Once they were waiting at a light, she shifted to face him. Behind the hazel, she could see a hollow darkness threatening to swallow him whole. She attempted to throw him one of her usual lifelines. "Mulder, tell me what you're thinking."

"What do you care what I think, Agent Scully. I'm a monster. Didn't you hear?" He glared as he crossed his arms. "I beat up people because it's fun."

She sighed. She, too, was stunned at Sandra's request, but her partner had simply folded in on himself, adrift between his imaginings of this long-awaited reunion and its reality. If it had been just themselves, back in DC, she would have taken him to her apartment to give him the space and quiet to rage and weep and ruminate. But, they were in the middle of at least three intertwined investigations, involving multiple law enforcement agencies, where his ability to cut a clear path through the confusion was essential. If not reason, then, a re-direction might help pull him out. "Mulder, you and I are in the same boat now, you know."

Without turning his head, he spoke through clenched teeth. "Nice try, Scully, but not going to work."

A mall, full of people on a Friday night, was on their right. What they needed now was a little seclusion so he could settle. To their left, tucked behind two tall buildings, was a nearly empty parking lot. The insurance offices and financial companies it serviced were all closed, so she could focus completely as they spoke. She turned the steering wheel to take them into the darkness, looked to her right, but rejected the few spaces in the above-ground lot as too exposed, as well as the underground parking for the Bank of America she saw there. With one entrance and exit, the confined levels offered security, but only a limited avenue of escape. If they were being surveilled, an attacker would have an easy place to wait. Ahead was a multi-story above-ground parking garage, requiring automated payment for entry. If they wanted privacy and security, this open, yet restricted elevation would provide it, so she steered the Taurus into it. She pulled to the gate where she inserted her credit card.

"That's Agent Scully, always honest, to a fault, you are." He snorted. "Nevermind that you've just broadcast our location to anyone tracking us."

When she looked over, he had resumed his straight-ahead stare. He had rarely spoken to her with that sneer in his voice, at least, once they were past the first few days of their partnership. {Oh, Mulder. Not everyone in the world is your enemy.} She drove to the third level, noted it was completely empty, so chose a spot to the right of the exit, but well back from the perimeter of the structure. Once the rumble of the engine had ceased, she turned to him. "Mulder, you knew this was going to be hard, even if we didn't have the Smoker trying to warp her mind. Don't let him win. You *know* what he's trying to do to you and Sandra here."

"Very good, Agent Scully. Tie the floundering nut-case to reality." He had neither moved nor shifted as he mocked her. It was as if someone else, altogether, had spoken those words.

She reached out for him, but he batted her hand away before he pushed the door open. "Mulder!" She was outside quicker, running around to him as he stalked off. "Mulder, listen to me!"

He spun. "Or what, Doctor Scully? You wing the raging beast, take him away to safety, put him on a soft cushion, nurse him back to health, and tame him?" He bared his teeth. "But the creature always bites in the end."

--o-0-o--

Third Floor Balcony
Northern Trust Tower
La Jolla, CA
Friday, 8:17 pm

Luther shoved his way through the unlocked glass door to set his sights on the lone Taurus. "Okay, they're parked on the third level, right by the exit. 'Ace', whatever it is you programmed, it has these two, almost exactly."

"Yes. Bayesian theory is good on repetitive behavior, bad on random probability, even though that's how it's being used. Why haven't you taken the shot?"

He flipped up the IR lenses to check through his daylight goggles. "The passenger side of the vehicle is toward me. I can't try to get her and not hit him. Wait, he's getting out of the car. Now, so is she. He's yelling. She's shouting right back. He looks like he's gonna slug her. I thought these two were the ideal for partners at the Bureau."

"They are. They were, anyway. Don't get distracted. They're targets, not people."

"Okay, her back is to me."

"Take the shot!"

"Ah, no. They're in each other's faces. She's not clear of him."

"Stay focused. You won't have much of a window."

--o-0-o--

Parking Garage
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:21 pm

Scully planted herself between her partner and the exit, forcing him backward toward the Ford. "Luther is out there. He's already killed one officer. Do you think he wouldn't try to take you out, too?"

He bent over her. "Me? The monster? Wouldn't he be doing the world a favor?" He held out his hand. "Give me the keys, Scully."

She pushed her fists against her hips. "Mulder, you need to -"

He shoved her shoulder. "Give me the keys, Scully!"

"No!" She reached for his elbow. "Mulder, I know you want to run, but we can't afford the indulgence. At least, take me with - "

He grasped her wrist, spinning her around as he twisted her arm behind her back, the motion pulling her shoulders against his chest. "Take you with me? Into darkness where not even your cool light reaches? Not this time. I'm not a centaur, Pallas. They're the one thing I can't believe ever existed." One long arm, tucked up under her chin, was painfully tight against her neck. "Give me the keys or I will take them."

"No." She struggled against the muscles pressing against her throat. "I *need* to come with you. You won't be safe."

He released her twisted arm to yank her jacket open, a button popping away to bounce across the concrete as his fingers burrowed into her right pocket. Pushing up against her throat, he pulled her slightly off her feet to stop her twisting in his grip. He felt in the small compartment at the waistband of her linen slacks, then ripped the ring free, shredding the cloth in the process. "Monsters don't need protection." The hiss was harsh in her ear before he shoved her away from him.

--o-0-o--

Third Floor Balcony
Northern Trust Tower
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:27 pm

Luther tried sighting though the scope on his rifle. "He's got her in a choke hold now. What's going on with these two?"

"Who cares. Do you have a shot?"

"No, there's too much foliage. Now he's tearing at her clothes. Oh, he's after the car keys. He just shoved her onto the ground. I don't get what he's thinking, 'Ace'."

"He's not. That's always been Spooky Mulder's problem. He doesn't like to plan ahead. I learned that about him down at Quantico. She's the one who does that. Anything?"

"No. Yes! No. She's holding on to the door handle, and he's trying to throw her. If he tries too hard, he may run her over."

"Saves us the trouble. Take the shot when you can. Don't leave this to chance."

--o-0-o--

Parking Garage
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:31 pm

Mulder's push threw Scully onto the pavement. The rental key swinging from his fist, he stalked around the Taurus without looking back at his partner.

Scrambling to her feet, she rushed to the vehicle as he was turning over the engine. She had pulled the passenger door open, but with a snarl, he threw the Ford in reverse while shoving the gas pedal down to the carpet. The door swung, momentum bouncing her off the front fender. "Mulder!" She refused to release the handle, even as he was spinning the wheel to the right, keeping her grip as she was sliding away from the car. "Mulder, stop!" She twisted to bring herself to her knees, ignoring the jolts as they skidded across the pavement, then to her feet.

He glared over. "Don't tell me what to do, Scully!" He began accelerating forward, trying to force her to detach from the handle. But, she was was running alongside. Suddenly understanding what she was attempting, he found himself now drowning in horror and rage. "Let go, Scully!"

"No, Mulder!" The brakes whined as the Taurus halted before it slammed into the exterior wall, so she threw herself inside, feet first, but she was clutching the edge of the roof with her right hand only. As he gained speed through the left turn in reverse, she began slipping, inertia carrying her back out the opening. "Mulder, stop." She was gasping, her left arm flailing wildly.

He hesitated at the edge of desperation in her voice, then jammed down on the brakes, driving the door to close on her hand. "Scully?" A crack, then fragments of glass shot through the cabin.

--o-0-o--

Third Floor Balcony
Northern Trust Tower
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:27 pm

"Luther? I heard a shot."

He hooted from his crouch. "Got her! I think. The window is all fractured, but he's pulled her inside, so I don't know if she's dead."

"Then, get out. Get over to the Mall, wipe down the weapon before you ditch it in their trash compactor, then turn the compactor on. We only need to warp the barrel enough that they can't get a match on the rifling. Mingle on the walk in your street clothes. I'll swing by to pick you up at the front entrance in a few minutes."

"No! I need to get the strobe. My fingerprints may still be on it from when I packed it."

"Hurry, then. I'll be on my way. The police station is only three blocks away, so, get a move on."

"Right." He tugged at the glass doors with his gloved hands. If the surveillance cameras had caught anything during his descent in the stairwell it would only have been his mask-covered face and black clothes. He should be able to escape undetected.

--o-0-o--

Parking Garage
La Jolla, CA
Friday 8:27 pm

"Mulder? Help. Please."

The quiet plea drained the last of his anger. He checked to his right. The shattered glass of the window collapsed onto the seat and the carpet as he watched. His partner was hanging from the roof by her right arm, the left limp on the seat, a puddle of red spreading over the plastic. He set the car in park to guide her in with both hands, then threw himself on top of her as he pulled the door closed. "Scully? Stay down. Talk to me. Scully? Do you hear me?"

"Mulder? I'm okay." Her words were muffled against his stomach, but he could feel her shaking, hear her gasping beneath him.

The rage gone, all he could sense was the cold of his terrifying near-loss. Not that. Not now.

"Oh. Ow."

{Good. I know where we stand.} He rolled off her. "I'm gonna get us out of here. Just stay down."

"Okay." She was coiling, trying to sit up.

"Stay low, Scully." He began turning the Taurus toward the exit, checking quickly over the dash as the car moved. But, he had his right arm wrapped tightly around his partner, trying to cover her as much as possible with his torso.

The auburn-haired pathologist had worked her cell phone out of her jacket pocket to tap the fifth speed dial button. "Sir? This is Agent Scully again." She pushed against her partner's hold to peer carefully out the rear windshield, just catching view of the small sign in front of the building where the shooter was likely concealed.

Mulder had the Ford gunned for the ramp.

Her teeth were clenched as she shouted over the engine noise. "Get some forces out to La Jolla Village Drive and Executive Way. Someone just took a shot at us, Sir, probably from the Northern Trust Tower across from the Mall. We might be able to pull Luther in yet." She checked her partner, who was beginning to sit up straight. "Yes, Sir, I'm fine. Nothing serious. Agent Mulder is uninjured. Okay. Yes, Sir." She terminated the call, dropping her phone on the floor as she tried to right herself on the seat. "This is just three blocks from the Northern Division, so they should have the area covered shortly."

He offered no response, needing both hands and all his focus to squeal the Taurus down the spiral ramp to the exit.

She wriggled her right arm out of the jacket, worked the fabric from behind her back, then tied the right sleeve into a tourniquet on her left shoulder.

Once they were out of the parking garage, sitting at the exit to Executive Way, trees blocked the line of sight with the Tower. Mulder reached over to rest his right hand on the back of his partner's neck. He was suddenly unwilling to lose the contact that was his only assurance she was still on the seat beside him. "Scully? Talk to me."

"It's not bad. It's not bad." She was whispering through gritted teeth.

He looked over. There was blood soaking through her shredded left sleeve from her shoulder to her wrist, dripping from her fingers onto her thigh. In gathering horror, he realized the round and her arm had, in the instant of contact, met at just the right angle to rend sinew and muscle as the steel burrowed through the flesh along the entire limb. My fault. All my fault. He found he could offer no words of comfort, only speak without emotion, without sympathy. "Scripps Hospital is just up the street from us. We've passed it going to and from the Northern Division."

She shook her head. "Take me back to the hotel. It'll only require some bandaging." She focused her green-blue gaze on his face. "I may need some help with that."

He bit his lower lip for a moment, concentrating on making a right turn with only his left hand. "Of course, Scully. Of course." Once they were stopped at the light onto La Jolla Village Drive, he reached across her to buckle her in place. "Why didn't you just let me go?" He hovered over her shoulder even after he heard the click.

She offered a twitch of her cheek. "Centaurs might not need protection, but FBI agents do."

He cocked an eyebrow as sirens were wailing from several directions.

She was twisting on the plastic. "Ah. No. Not this." She shuddered. "No people."

He checked her arm again. "You sure about that hospital, Scully?"

She tried to send him a full smile, but could only form a grimace. "Yes. I've seen enough of those for a long, long while."

Mulder's cell buzzed, so he released her to lift the phone to his ear. "Sir?" He checked his partner. "Yes, Sir." After terminating the call, he turned left onto Town Center Drive.

She eyed him as he accelerated. "Mulder, that's not the way back to the hotel."

His lips were set in a grim line. "Dad's orders. He knows what 'I'm fine' means just like the rest of us do. Don't argue."

--o-0-o--

End – Chermera – Part 27 of 45