"Small Potatoes" - Thoughts

dawson_e._rambo

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

Warning: Contains Spoilers

Spoiler Space

Yet More Spoiler Space

Ok...that should do it.

Ok, thoughts, in the order they occured.

1) Fallacy Of the Telephone #1,945,654. WHY didn't Mulder, if he knew
Faux Mulder was at Scully's, pick up the damn phone and call? Because,
of course, otherwise we wouldn't have that great comical expression on
Scully's face. A great moment in X-dom.

2) I am in the process of digitizing the sound clip "Gee, Scully, should
we be picking out china patterns or WHAT?"

3) Ok, the BIG question. Yes, they didn't. They came sooooooooo close.
Would have been worth it to have the FauxMulder kiss Scully so I could
grab the frame and make it my Win96 wallpaper. BUT, alas, it didn't. But
what did happen?

a) Scully did not move away. True, she looked...oh, concerned, startled.
"What are you doing?" is what her face said. But she did not move away.
This is crucial to us shippers.

b) Just before OneTrueMulder burst through the door, we heard this little
animalistic "oonmnh!" from Scully. Anti-shippers will protest loud and
long that this was an "Oh, I don't think we should be doing this!" sound.
I disagree. This was most definately a "Oh, I want this so bad!" sound.

c) The argument will be made that Scully was snookered when this almost
happened. I can drop lots of quotes in here, but the bottom line is, ya
don't do something drunk you don't WANT to do sober, in the majority of
cases.

d) Another argument could be made that Mulder had been displaying traits
all night (being Mr. Sensitive and so forth,) that he had not, until now,
previously displayed, and that's why Scully was wanting the big kiss.
Counter arguments:

I) They've been together four years. You don't readjust your opinion or
experience-based desire of someone based on ONE night; thusly, the
idea of what FauxMulder (and in Scully's mind, OneTrueMulder,) was
...er, proposing.
II) Again, that sound. Anybody that knows what it is like to finally
fulfill a long-held personal romantic-style fantasy KNOWS that
sound, ESPECIALLY when it is coupled with candlelight, wine and
the Sharing of Secrets. Scully emitted that sound. Case closed.

Conclusion:

I won't say that Scully sits up nights thinking about Mulder, or that she
is pining for him. I will submit the following concepts for your
consideration:

i) She has noticed that he's an attractive man.
ii) The thought of being kissed by him was not repugnant.
iii) She, obviously, doesn't think that a stolen kiss would be the
end of their professional relationship, or the end of the
'friendship.'
iv) CC has totally left the door open for a possible ... something
in next summer's movie.

NOW, as for Mulder...

His comment at the end about how he wasn't (whatever the loser's name
was,) was very, very telling. That signals to me a kind of, well, not
pining, exactly. Not a little-boy-whining-wanting thing... just more of a
realization on his part that as he stands as a person, in reality, not Mr.
Sensitive Agent (like FauxMulder,) he's not exactly what anyone would
consider a "catch." Now, before the Estrogen Brigade starts targeting my
mailbox for nuclear weapons, let's be honest. DD is a hunka-hunka burnin'
love, and I'm sure that all the women that wouldn't kick EITHER DD or FM
out of bed for eating crackers realize that FM is sorta...well, messed up
in the head. I mean, he's got all the sensitivity (re:Scully) of a brick
of compressed hair. And that Quest of his, while noble, does sometimes
have the air of hysteria about it.

So, what have I learned? Mr. Carter likes to play with hour heads. But we
knew that. We knew that big time. Ya gotta know he's sitting back,
chuckling about how much traffic he caused into atx and atxc this week.

Anyway, what I will do is take some of the...personality things I saw this
ep and work it into the next story, "Umbra," due out soon. :)

Take care all, and have a good night.

Dawson
dra...@primenet.com =*= Dawson E. Rambo =*= Writer/Programmer/NetAdmin
X-Files FanFic home page : http://www.primenet.com/~drambo/snaphome.htm
Also available via anonymous ftp : ftp.primenet.com/users/d/drambo
"Never mistake motion for progress."

GravesPA2

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

<< 2) I am in the process of digitizing the sound clip "Gee, Scully,
should
we be picking out china patterns or WHAT?" >>

Ooooo! I WANT it. :) Pretty please?

Paula G

"Reputation? I have a reputation?" Fox Mulder - "Squeeze"

Purple the Deadly Soul Catcher

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

><< 2) I am in the process of digitizing the sound clip "Gee, Scully,
>should
>we be picking out china patterns or WHAT?" >>
>

>Ooooo! I WANT it. :) Pretty please?
>

>Paula G

Me too! ;) Pretty please with sugar on top? Pretty please with wipped
cream and a cherry?

Purple the Sick Screenwriter <:cP

J. Ackerson

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

Anna Marie Abram wrote:

> Purple the Deadly Soul Catcher <lunac> wrote in article
> <335ba...@news1.ibm.net>...
> Me three! Pretty pretty please with all that stuff and a hot fudge brownie?
>
> Anna
>
> >Add me to the list too. God knows its the best indication that Mulder's
ready and willing to let her pick out "their" china. <bg>

J. Ackerson

DiRisha

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

I think the whole thing was BRILLIANT CC walked a tight-rope for the
"shipppers and friend groups. Something for everyone! IMHO:-)

Heyhaha

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

<< 2) I am in the process of digitizing the sound clip "Gee, Scully,
should
we be picking out china patterns or WHAT?" >>

>Ooooo! I WANT it. :) Pretty please?

>Paula G

Actually, you can find that clip and several others from the ep on
alt.binaries.xfiles

The only one they don't have is my favorite: birds do it, bees do it, even
educated MDs do it.
Now THERE'S one full of inuendo!!!

Kendra

************************************
"TO BE IS TO DO" Plato
"TO DO IS TO BE" Socrates
"DO BE DO BE DO" Sinatra
************************************

Agent Dare

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

DiRisha wrote:
<<I think the whole thing was BRILLIANT CC walked a tight-rope for the
"shipppers and friend groups. Something for everyone! IMHO:-)>>

I agree that the story was brilliant, but I don't think CC did it for us.
I think he wanted to torture the 'shippers even more than he already
does.I swear that I can picture him right now, sitting back, going through
the newsgroups and laughing his brilliant gray-haired head off. Can't you?

Oh, yeah, I want that china pattern clip too!
Dare :)
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX
"J. Edgar Hoo-hoo-hoo-HooVER!!!!!!"
---Tom Servo, "Secret Agent Super Dragon,"
Mystery Science Theater 3000
http://members.aol.com/agentdare/index.html
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Purple the Deadly Soul Catcher

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

I went to alt.binaries.x-files and nothing happened! Did I do something
wrong?

the wacko,
Purple <:cP

"Geeks for friends."